PDA

View Full Version : I almost flew a rocket today

SEL
04-27-2006, 06:43 PM
But I didn't. So I threw it up in the air and took a picture of it.

Sean

Initiator001
04-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Very nice flight picture! ;)

I spoke with Christine at Estes this morning and ordered up a bunch of fin cans.

Later, I placed an order with Semroc for body tubes, nose cones, etc.

It looks like at least one Enerjet 1340 and a Nike Ram are in my furure. :D

Bob

Chris_Timm
04-27-2006, 07:11 PM
I spoke with Christine at Estes this morning and ordered up a bunch of fin cans.

Details!

How much were they each?
What colors did they have?
How many can you order at one time?
How many do they left on hand for parts sales?
Did they still have the egg capsule available as a part?

Initiator001
04-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Details!

How much were they each?
What colors did they have?
How many can you order at one time?
How many do they left on hand for parts sales?
Did they still have the egg capsule available as a part?

Answers:

1) $3.00 each.
2) Black only (Leftover from Longshot kit). They had the yellow (Eliminator) fin cans on
back order.
3) I ordered four and Christine didn't have any problem with selling me that quantity.
4) Unknown.
5) I didn't ask.

Shipping was $7.99 plus I had to pay California sales tax.

They will ship out on Friday and I will receive them by next Wednesday.

Then I went to the Semroc site and ordered a bunch of body tubes, nose cones, etc. That order has been shipped.

Wow. I can remember when it would take four weeks to get an order from Estes back in 1970! :eek:

Bob

SEL
04-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Answers:
<snip>

Then I went to the Semroc site and ordered a bunch of body tubes, nose cones, etc. That order has been shipped.

Wow. I can remember when it would take four weeks to get an order from Estes back in 1970! :eek:

Bob

Really?!? My orders took exactly 10 days (not that I was counting or anything) from the day I put the envelope in the mailbox. I lived in Woburn, MA at the time.

Sean

dwmzmm
04-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Answers:

Bob

My orders from Estes & Centuri usually took around anywhere from five days to a month to
arrive. I lived in Niceville, FL in 1969 (when I got started in the hobby), then moved to
Natchitoches, LA in November '69 after my dad retired from the USAF. I can remember how
exciting it was to look forward to each day in anticipation, longing to see that familiar rectangular white or brown box sticking out of your mailbox. Wow, those were fascinating
days!!

snaquin
04-28-2006, 06:11 PM
But I didn't. So I threw it up in the air and took a picture of it.

Sean

Nice toss .....

Now you know I like that! Very nice. Good attention to detail too Sean. When I "wrapped" mine with the silver I didn't leave that little itty bitty piece of white before the upper black band near the payload section. I guess I need to cut a little strip of white and apply it so mine will look "exactly" like the EnerJet image too because that drives me nuts every time I look at it ;)

I still think the white fin can is what really sets that rocket off since you don't see that color used anywhere else .....

If Estes should discontinue the Eliminator they really need to keep the fin can and come up with a new rocket. Not just another Maniac, Longshot, Phoenix Bird ect. Something more interesting with transitions or perhaps a housing for the Oracle or altimeter. A re-release of the old Centuri Argus would be nice with a "RED" fin can :D

SEL
04-28-2006, 06:23 PM
My orders from Estes & Centuri usually took around anywhere from five days to a month to
arrive. I lived in Niceville, FL in 1969 (when I got started in the hobby), then moved to
Natchitoches, LA in November '69 after my dad retired from the USAF. I can remember how
exciting it was to look forward to each day in anticipation, longing to see that familiar rectangular white or brown box sticking out of your mailbox. Wow, those were fascinating
days!!

Ahhh... Centuri was another matter. I remember being shocked/angry/saddened when my first Centuri order didn't arrive on the 10th day. It took a whole 14 days! That was the Payloader II and another kit that I can't quite remember, a few tubes of motors, and I think my brother got a Point kit.

Sean

SEL
04-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Nice toss .....

Now you know I like that! Very nice. Good attention to detail too Sean. When I "wrapped" mine with the silver I didn't leave that little itty bitty piece of white before the upper black band near the payload section. I guess I need to cut a little strip of white and apply it so mine will look "exactly" like the EnerJet image too because that drives me nuts every time I look at it ;)

Well I have to confess that I forgot to leave it on the payload section as well, so I wrapped a strip of white Pactra Trim Tape around the main airframe :o

[/QUOTE]I still think the white fin can is what really sets that rocket off since you don't see that color used anywhere else .....[/QUOTE]

Agreed - it just looks so cool in white :cool:

[/QUOTE]If Estes should discontinue the Eliminator they really need to keep the fin can and come up with a new rocket. Not just another Maniac, Longshot, Phoenix Bird ect. Something more interesting with transitions or perhaps a housing for the Oracle or altimeter. A re-release of the old Centuri Argus would be nice with a "RED" fin can :D[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should start bombarding Estes w/design suggestions :D

Sean

SEL
04-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Nice toss .....

Another confession......

CPMcGraw
04-28-2006, 07:31 PM
If Estes should discontinue the Eliminator they really need to keep the fin can and come up with a new rocket. Not just another Maniac, Longshot, Phoenix Bird ect. Something more interesting with transitions or perhaps a housing for the Oracle or altimeter. A re-release of the old Centuri Argus would be nice with a "RED" fin can :D

Maybe we should start bombarding Estes w/design suggestions :D

Sean

Does anyone have a good RKT file version of the fin can?

snaquin
04-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Does anyone have a good RKT file version of the fin can?

I used a sleeve, four fins and a launch lug in my file. You can tweak it if you like. Actual weight is 1.1 oz

I could have added a tiny transition to the front to simulate the chamfer edge but didn't. The fins in the file are accurate.

dholvrsn
04-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Sounds like my last day off. Got everything set up to launch a SkyWinder and the batteries in my "Mission Control-ler" were missing and the ones in my back-up controller and my other back-up controller were dying.

Have since bought new batteries.....

barone
04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Another confession......

Aaaahhhhh.....the magic of photo imaging technology!

Don
NAR 53455