PDA

View Full Version : AMIGA Computer Equipment & Software

Chris_Timm
04-28-2006, 08:26 AM
I have a 2 Commodore AMIGA A500 computers for trade for rocket-related stuff.
If you don't have rocket-related stuff, then lets talk. I need the kids house painted soon, my lawn looks pretty shabby, my work truck could stand a washing every now and then, the garage needs emptying.............. you get the picture.

The A500's have external HD which plug into the peripheral slot.
The A500's have additional RAM as well (I'll have to check to see exactly how much)
Also have a rarely used Panasonic 1080 dot-matrix printer. This style of printer works well printing triple-carbon invoices for business use.
1000's of 3.5" disks of backed-up for archive storage games & utiliites.
100's of original games & productivity software, most all with their original boxes and instructions.
(1) Amiga 1084S Monitor
Assorted cables

I also have ALOT of Commodore C64 equip & software.

Ltvscout
04-28-2006, 08:46 AM
I have a 2 Commodore AMIGA A500 computers for trade for rocket-related stuff.
If you don't have rocket-related stuff, then lets talk. I need the kids house painted soon, my lawn looks pretty shabby, my work truck could stand a washing every now and then, the garage needs emptying.............. you get the picture.

The A500's have external HD which plug into the peripheral slot.
The A500's have additional RAM as well (I'll have to check to see exactly how much)
Also have a rarely used Panasonic 1080 dot-matrix printer. This style of printer works well printing triple-carbon invoices for business use.
1000's of 3.5" disks of backed-up for archive storage games & utiliites.
100's of original games & productivity software, most all with their original boxes and instructions.
(1) Amiga 1084S Monitor
Assorted cables

I also have ALOT of Commodore C64 equip & software.
Cool! I started out with a C64 myself back in '82. I still have my original (I had a number of them at one time), plus my C128 and my Amiga 500.

Chris_Timm
04-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Cool! I started out with a C64 myself back in '82. I still have my original

And you're looking for more, right???? :rolleyes:

I started out with the 16K TRS-80 (with the cassette tape player!) in 78-79.
Then I moved up to a Commodore 64K PET with the chicklet-keyboard.
Then the C64.
Then the Amiga500.
Then a series of desktop PC's every few years and a laptop for museum visits.
Thrown into the mix are a couple of Performa Macs and 3 iMacs.

Ltvscout
04-28-2006, 09:14 AM
And you're looking for more, right???? :rolleyes:

I started out with the 16K TRS-80 (with the cassette tape player!) in 78-79.
Then I moved up to a Commodore 64K PET with the chicklet-keyboard.
Then the C64.
Then the Amiga500.
Then a series of desktop PC's every few years and a laptop for museum visits.
Thrown into the mix are a couple of Performa Macs and 3 iMacs.
I started running a well-known C64 "warez" BBS around 1984 or 85. It was called Ye Olde Pawn Shoppe. (Hmm, name sounds familiar!) I ran the BBS on the C64, then the C128 finally going to an IBM PC. It ran till 1997. I was also the head of Net154 for FidoNet for many years. (FidoNet was like the newsgroups of today before the Internet became popular.)

DaveR
04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Wow... I remember those days. I started out with a Timex Sinclair, what a screamer, it had a membrane keyboard and 2K on-board memory that was expandalbe to 16K with a module that was as big as your fist. I then graduated to a Commodore VIC20 with cassette tape drive, and then on to the Commodore 64 with an external 5.25 floppy that weighed about 400 pounds. Logged lots of hours on those pc's. Never had an Amiga but had a buddy who did, boy, talking about state of the art.

CPMcGraw
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Cool! I started out with a C64 myself back in '82. I still have my original (I had a number of them at one time), plus my C128 and my Amiga 500.

Ahhh!! Nostalgia time!

My first computer was the C-64, in about 1982/1984, which I still have and it still works (more-or-less). Nicknamed Dora. I wore the keyboard out. There's a 1541 drive on the top of a bookcase in a catch-all room. I replaced it with a C-128 in 1985/1986, and eventually wore that keyboard out, too (that computer is also collecting dust, right under the C-64). Named it Tracy, since it was "three computers in one". Interesting connection with "modern" computing -- the C64 and C128 were my connection with the on-line community until I got my first Intel-based system in 1995. I was on Compu$pend, which still allowed 300 and 1200 baud text-only connections at the time.

I picked up a Timex/Sinclair 1000 for about $20 when they were dumping them to distributors. Nicknamed it "Stinky"...

Added an Atari 1200XL later, but never named it nor used it, and eventually gave it away...

My favorite program was Merlin 64. I taught myself assembly language programming with that. I also had a version of FORTH produced by Oasis, called "White Lightning" which was a fun (if really odd-ball) programming language.

I never had the luxury of owning an Amiga, in any flavor. By the time I got to a point where I could have afforded one, they were obsolete and were being dropped from the radar screens everywhere.

Talk about "Everything Old Is New Again", there is a new clone of the AmigaOS being developed called AROS. It still needs a lot of work, but there is a download available on the web of what has been developed. (Doug H, you might feel right at home with their logo...:D ) AROS stands for Amiga Research Operating System. The website is www.aros.org (http://www.aros.org/) ...

hmjswt
05-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Whooo, What's this? Who started first with the oldest computer?
I win!
I started in 1967 with a General Electric Analog computer! (nothing binary - just continious voltages...)
And it launched real rockets.
Ever toggled a switch to launch a Nike Hercules? Scale 1:1?
That gets the adrenaline flowing.
My first -civilian- computer was a Sinclair 81 - the original, not the Timex- with 1 K and a smal b/w TV.
Lots of fun!

HenkSWT

Ramjet
05-13-2006, 07:28 AM
Woo, I really get a kick on this one.

I started on a Sinclair ZX81 too. 1K ram, and provide your own tape recorder/player.
And a B/W TV, sound was beeps and buzzes.
I remember typing in tons of hex code from magazines to get programs.
A Tape Recorder without auto record level worked better.
Do Ya remember watching the black and white bands on the tv to tell if your levels were right?
I built a keyboard for one out of spst pushbutton switches from radio shack.
Drilled the standard key pattern in a piece of plexiglass, and hand wired it in with ribbon cable.
People freak when they see it.
Then came my first C=64, then my C=128, then the first of many Amiga's
Several 500's, with various expansions, then a 4000/030.
Now I have 2 A4000's with Video Toasters. Yes, I still use them.
I actually counted when I moved here. 13 Amiga's in the house...
I was buying them up cheap when folks were dropping out.
And I have at least one of every type made. A500, A1000, A2000, A3000, A4000
I do run a PC now tho. But the Amiga 4000's are on the network here in my Den.
I still have several Sinclairs and a few Timex/Sinclairs for one reason.
They make awesome little robot controllers. IF you can build a PCB for relay interface!!!
I really need to finish one of those......

Hmmm, I'll bet they make a killer little launch controller too....
Actually thinking about it, A C=64 with the Sid sound chip programmed right would make a really awesome controller that did the verbal countdown for you!!!
An Amiga would be even better sound, but heavier....
Too bad they never finished the Amiga laptop.
So many things to do, so little time...

Ramjet

Tweener
05-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Anyone remember the TRS-80 Color Computer (AKA "coco")? That was my baby. Bought one with a whopping 16K memory and later upgraded it to 64k with a memory kit that I bought at a hamfest. I still have it, and it still works! I actually did a little assembly language programming with that one. I did a LOT of "extended color BASIC" programming. The interpreter was written by Microsoft! Mine has the cassette tape storage interface, but later upgrades included an external 5.25" floppy drive which I never bought. Had no idea what a "hard drive" was in those days.... :confused:

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/computer.asp?c=91

BTW this thread is getting very close to being split to the Free For All section, I believe. :p

Ltvscout
05-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Anyone remember the TRS-80 Color Computer (AKA "coco")?
Sure, we used to call them Trash-80's. :D

CPMcGraw
05-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Sure, we used to call them Trash-80's. :D

That's what I called the original Version 1 and later Version 3 Z-80 designs (and they both ran TRSDOS, or "Trash DOS")...

The CoCo was supposed to be able to run a "real" operating system called OS-9, which never fully materialized. The computer had it's own following, but it never received the attention it deserved from RatShack.

Tweener
05-15-2006, 12:45 AM
The CoCo was supposed to be able to run a "real" operating system called OS-9, which never fully materialized. The computer had it's own following, but it never received the attention it deserved from RatShack.Thank you Craig, it really was a nice computer for it's time. The most satisfying hacking that I did with it was with a program that someone wrote to utilize 4 simultaneous voices with the sound generator circuit. The original demo was "The William Tell Overture". I got some sheet music and a notebook and hand coded a dozen or so new songs; direct to machine code data. My "Peter Gunn Theme" sounded just like the arcade hit "Spy Hunter" after I modified the waveform envelope. :D Ah, the misspent hours of my youth. :rolleyes: