PDA

View Full Version : Cardstock Rocketry?

dlazarus6660
01-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Would anyone like to have a new forum named "Cardstock Rocketry"
I build paper models, Rockets, Planes, and Spacecraft.
I would like to know if there are other rocketeers like me with a diverse interest of hobbies.

Here is something I just completed today.

Daniel

gpoehlein
01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Very nice model - really good job on the contstuction. Is it a flyable model or static? And is it your design or did you find it on the net?

Greg

Les
01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
I would be interested, if the rockets were flyable.

dlazarus6660
01-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Ooops!

I should have added the site I got the card model from.
Also, check out the Star Wars X-Wing fighter card model.

Daniel

Viper Model

http://siriusreplicas.com/models/misc/paper/viper_mk1pm.htm

X-Wing Fighter Model

http://www.siriusreplicas.com/models/scifi/xw/xwpm.htm

BTW... I plan on another build of the Viper as a rocket, a very detailed rocket to the Estes Viper.

evo666
01-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes a forum. I'm new to it and have tons of qusetions.

Bayourat
01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
There is already a forum. Paper Modelers Dot Com
http://papermodelers.com

:)

lessgravity
01-10-2011, 09:37 AM
And visit my site to download your favorite models:

Ultimate Paper Rocket Guide (http://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/)

and the Partial Paper Rockets (needs some non-paper parts) page HERE (http://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/)

mperdue
01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Good idea. I've been playing with card stock models for a short time and can see many uses in rocketry.

dlazarus6660
01-10-2011, 04:36 PM
There is already a forum. Paper Modelers Dot Com
http://papermodelers.com

:)

Yeah, I know, but there is NO cardstock models in YORF!. :D :p

mycrofte
01-11-2011, 03:31 AM
Most of the other cardstock sites deal with everything. I think one here for just rockets would be great!

mperdue
01-11-2011, 05:02 AM
The Rocketry Forum has a section devoted to card stock models.

dlazarus6660
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM
The Rocketry Forum has a section devoted to card stock models.

Yes they do and thats why I think there should be one on YORF. Some of the folks here don't visit TRF for one reason or another.

Why if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us here in YORF.
Hope you guys are voting.

Daniel

luke strawwalker
01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I think it'd be a terrific idea... seems to fit in well with the motif around here as well... (hearkens back to some of the old cardstock designs like the Vulcan, Spike, and HL-20, among others)

Understand about the TRF thing... some folks can take it some can't, or choose not to... ce la vis... BUT let's face it, TRF and YORF are THE two main LPR/MPR forums (fora?) and cardstock rocketry fits well with LPR... I go to RP too but it's almost exclusively HPR, or well seems to be, and N3 seems to be mainly homebrew EX/HPR stuff...

SO, "If not YORF, Where?? If not now, WHEN??"

I think it's a fascinating aspect of rocketry and one I've been meaning to dive into, when I have the time... seeing some projects would be good motivation!

Later! OL JR :)

gpoehlein
01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
You really do need to try it, JR - I've been building paper rockets since I got back into the hobby about 5-6 years ago and it is incredibly fun and satisfying. Not only that, but I even use paper rockets in NAR competition. They make great parachute and streamer duration models (they are lighter than an equivalent rocket made from Estes parts) and I've even used cardstock to build an entire dual egg duration model powered by a D-12 (we lost sight of it at 17 minutes, so no return <sigh>). I also managed to get a 1/8A (micromaxx) helicopter recovery model to work, again made from paper. About the only thing I haven't gotten to work yet are boost gliders (too much wing flutter on boost) but I haven't given up on that one yet either. Paper models are surprisingly strong and capable of withstanding more thrust than most people imagine. And, the fact that I don't have to sand, seal and paint the durned things to get a cool looking model (print the graphics right on it in full color) are a real bonus.

If you've never tried one before, download the Midnight Express from the FlisKits website - the instructions are incredible and it is a fantastic 18mm model that makes a great jumping off point.

Greg

Bob H
01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
If you've never tried one before, download the Midnight Express from the FlisKits website - the instructions are incredible and it is a fantastic 18mm model that makes a great jumping off point.

GregWhile you're at it, print out an extra set of fins and make a booster. They are so inexpensive and quick to build that it didn't even bother me that I had "no chance" at recovery with a C6-0/C6-7 combination.

Funny thing was the booster landed within 10 ft of the pad and about 15 minutes later someone brought the sustainer back.

The second flight. however, was a different story. :rolleyes:

harsas
01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
I am far too clumsy to build paper rockets, but they are cool to see. I would enjoy reading about them.

AstronMike
01-12-2011, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=gpoehleinAbout the only thing I haven't gotten to work yet are boost gliders (too much wing flutter on boost) but I haven't given up on that one yet either. Paper models are surprisingly strong and capable of withstanding more thrust than most people imagine. Greg[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have, but not exactly in the manner of what you probably speak of....

What Ive been doing for a while is using cardstock (and sometimes even just paper) to make larger diameter body tubes for gliders, from 1" to 3". 65lb stock works, and I only use ONE full wrap with an 'overlap area' of around 1/3 of the circumference. This seems to add enough linear 'backbone' besides the motor pod inside.

As far as wing surfaces go, NO, I dont even bother with paper or cardstock for those. As you know, they are too fluttery even for smaller designs. My solution is good old Depron foam, which is similar to meat tray foam (which Ive been using for around 30yrs for gliders).

Depron, 3mm thick, is actually LIGHTER per square inch than cardstock :eek: but is is also on the flimsy side. Way to handle this, if larger pieces are used, is to 'edge tape' it with chrome tape strips (see Marauder LV pic below). YOu get just enough rigidity for flight without adding much weight.

Pictured below is such a glider made in this fashion. This is my old venerable Marauder design, built around a BT60 cardstock tube (one ply) using an 18mm pod inside ala SkyDart. The wing surfaces are 3mm Depron, and the 'squary' tape covered thing in the center of it is a torque plate - a sheet of .005 brass bent in the middle and glued/taped over the wing seam.

There is 225 in sq of wing area, with a 24" span, on a 30" tube. Total weight of glider and pod: 3.5z Glider alone: 2.0z Flys wonderfully on an Estes C6-3, and also the Quest D5-4 in a 20mm pod gives this a niiiiiiice looooong ride up and glide back.

dlazarus6660
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Hey AstroMike,

Is the Bomarc on the couch paper or cardboard?

Daniel

brianc
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
What Ive been doing for a while is using cardstock (and sometimes even just paper) to make larger diameter body tubes for gliders, from 1" to 3". 65lb stock works, and I only use ONE full wrap with an 'overlap area' of around 1/3 of the circumference. This seems to add enough linear 'backbone' besides the motor pod inside.

I can attest to this construction method. I found one of Mike's gliders lost at a ROCK
launch after a month or more in the Florida weather. Almost ready to fly again! The tape
over paper/cardstock is a great way to keep the weight down while adding strength.

Mark II
01-13-2011, 12:13 AM
I have lost little cardstock cone rockets twice in my backyard (part of which is woods). One was a 13mm version and the other was downscaled for MicroMaxx. I lost the 13mm one in the fall, but I found it in late spring the following year underneath a bush. It had laid out there under a few feet of snow all winter and then survived the melt in the spring. A year or two later, I lost the MicroMaxx one. I found that one two years later in the woods just beyond my backyard. :eek: Despite the prolonged periods on the ground and exposed to all kinds of harsh weather, both little paper cone rockets were still in flyable condition when I found them. But instead, they were both given honorable discharges from active duty and are now enjoying comfortable retirements.

In the attached photos, the the green one on the left is the MicroMaxx cone rocket, and the red one on the right is the 13mm version. The orange cone rocket in the middle is another MicroMaxx version that had not been flown yet at the time that those pictures were taken.

All three cardstock cone rockets had been given 2 or 3 coats of Krylon Clear. I always clear-coat my cardstock rockets.

Mark II
01-13-2011, 12:44 AM
When I resumed model rocketry as a BAR back in 2004 I didn't have much money to spend on kits. For the first couple of years I built almost nothing but cardstock rockets using any free plans that I could find online. This also led to my interest in a new hobby, cardmodeling. All of the rockets that I built back then, 7 years ago, are still part of my active fleet and I still launch them from time to time. They are among my most-flown rockets. I did have to retire one, though, after only three flights. :rolleyes:

The second and third pictures are of a couple of static card models that I built about 6 years ago from free designs that I found online. One is a model of one of the Project Mercury Little Joe test rockets and the other is of the SpaceShipOne. The latter build was very complex and it required several hours each night for about three consecutive weeks to assemble. There are structures on the underside that were assembled from printed patterns that, once they were cut out and folded and glued, were pin head in size. (No exaggeration.)

dlazarus6660
01-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Mark II,

Awesome!
I find cardmodeling relaxing and very entertaining and there seems to be no limit to the subjects to make.

Daniel

Sandy H.
01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
If there were an active card stock forum here with a good tutorial (or links to various tutorials) sticky at the top, I would read here more.

I recently completed a Zooch Ares I and it was fun, but I have to admit, I am pretty embarrassed at the results. Nothing at all wrong with the kit, but I do not have good skills with paper yet and therefore it doesn't look as good as it should.

Sandy.

luke strawwalker
01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah... part of the reason I'm scared to start is that I just may discover that I really SUCK at it... LOL:)

But seriously I DO need to get on the stick and try some card models... maybe a Gemini... Always wanted a model of the Gemini capsule but never have found one...

Later! OL JR :)

Mark II
01-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Everyone sucks at cardmodeling at first. If you stick with it, though, you'll get better, guaranteed. That's where free plans come in really handy; you can built a bunch of stuff, make all the mistakes and learn from them, all with a final bill of $0. You literally have nothing to lose. I made tons of mistakes at first, but I stuck with it, learned a few techniques and developed a few skills. The things that I have learned have proven themselves to be useful in my regular rocket building, too. I have reaped quite a bit of value from something that required next to no monetary investment. How can you beat that?

AstronMike
01-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Hey AstroMike,

Is the Bomarc on the couch paper or cardboard?

Daniel

Hah! You noticed that, eh?

That is a near BT70 scale gliding Bomarc, 2" or so diameter. It has a rolled paper cone for the nose as well as a Depron wing/tail surfaces. This flys wonderfully on the Quest C motors due to its just under 3z total weight (the glider itself is only half that!). Also have a 20mm pod for the D5s, and nearly lost it a few months back on this motor.

BTW, that Marauder LV you see in that photo....also can use the D5. Too bad I cannot shoot video, you'd have to see this to believe it!!

Now, if you want to discuss *paper*, well, Im now making a series of mini motor powered variants of my main gliders constructed with rolled paper tubing and 2mm Depron. Coming up with some pretty massive looking stuff that weighs no more than an ounce, pod + ballast included!! How about a full size BT55 Bomarc....on an A10....and its already flown well too.

Cardstock and paper tubing, even if you only use one full ply plus some 'overlap' is a lot stronger than you'd think.

mycrofte
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Thought I would throw something together to get the ball rolling for people new to cardstock rockets! This has been done in a larger scale but I haven't found a 18mm version.

I only spent about an hour on it so I hope it works...

dlazarus6660
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Everyone sucks at cardmodeling at first. If you stick with it, though, you'll get better, guaranteed. That's where free plans come in really handy; you can built a bunch of stuff, make all the mistakes and learn from them, all with a final bill of $0. You literally have nothing to lose. I made tons of mistakes at first, but I stuck with it, learned a few techniques and developed a few skills. The things that I have learned have proven themselves to be useful in my regular rocket building, too. I have reaped quite a bit of value from something that required next to no monetary investment. How can you beat that?

Also, cardstock models can enhance a rocket design by borrowing from other cardstock models. One example is my A-7 Corsair II Jet rocket. The cockpit canopy is from a cardstock model from Fiddlers Green. It fits, it works and I like it!

brianc
01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Always wanted a model of the Gemini capsule but never have found one...
There's a 1:96 (and 1:48) scale Gemini-Titan II on Jon Leslie's site:

http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_apollo.html

Scroll ~half way down.

It's rated 6 out of 10 for difficulty, but I'll bet the capsule isn't the
hard part of that model. (I haven't built that one, yet).

Bob H
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah... part of the reason I'm scared to start is that I just may discover that I really SUCK at it... LOL:) We all did at first but we get better the more we practice. One of the first ones I did was a V-2 and the fins were a little wavy and I got the comment that it was just like the real ones!

Bob H
01-15-2011, 12:55 PM
. maybe a Gemini... Always wanted a model of the Gemini capsule but never have found one..If you're looking for just the capsules, then you can get them from Delta 7 Studios (http://www.delta7studios.com/project_gemini.htm).

They are 1/24 scale models of all the missions. Detailed interior for Gemini IV, Agena docking targets, etc.

Not free, but very reasonably priced for all that you get.

gpoehlein
01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
We all did at first but we get better the more we practice. One of the first ones I did was a V-2 and the fins were a little wavy and I got the comment that it was just like the real ones!

Reminds me of the Scud B I built for C Scale Altitude once - I should have declared mission points because it took off on a different direction than planned and was never found - just like the read ones in Irac! :D

dlazarus6660
01-21-2011, 07:08 AM
I hope this poll didnot die already.

Help me Mr. Wizard....Help me!

mycrofte
01-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I hope this poll didnot die already.

Help me Mr. Wizard....Help me!

"Drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, drome; time for zis one to come home."

mycrofte
01-23-2011, 04:50 AM
I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet but thought I would upload an updated version of my cardstock rocket to keep the thread going!

dlazarus6660
01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Did you do a build thread?
If so, put the thread up.
If not, why not do a build thread?
Thank you for your interest.
Please show me what else you have for paper builds.
Daniel

mycrofte
01-24-2011, 01:58 AM
My digital camera died so I don't have any pictures. I have built several other peoples free cardstock rockets.

I did find on those you should add a real launch lug instead of the built in paper ones. The paper tends to give and hang up on the launch rod...

Here is another design I threw together yesterday.

Ltvscout
01-24-2011, 09:32 AM
I'll work on adding this new forum this week. I'm relying on you 30 members that voted yes to keep it active! ;)

tbzep
01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
I'll work on adding this new forum this week. I'm relying on you 30 members that voted yes to keep it active! ;)

For what it's worth, I've just built one of Hans' semi-cardstock models. :)

Bob H
01-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Please show me what else you have for paper builds.
DanielHere are a few

Bob H
01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
A few more

dlazarus6660
01-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Bob,

I hope you will bring some of these rockets(especially the last bunch) to the next CMASS launch. I would love to see these up close.

Daniel

Bob H
01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Bob,

I hope you will bring some of these rockets(especially the last bunch) to the next CMASS launch. I would love to see these up close.

DanielDan,

I bring a Rubbermaid storage container full of cardstock rockets to almost every launch. I don't always fly many except at the smaller fields since many are 13mm models.

Unless I make another, I won't be bringing the ESS Raven because I lost it at the last Sudbury launch but I wanted to redo the nose cone on that one anyway.

If you want to try a couple of the other ones, they can be found Here (https://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/)