PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

JumpJet
02-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I was just wondering why this portion of the forum very rarely has anything new posted in it.

John Boren

Shreadvector
02-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Because this is the "Ye OLDE Rocket Forum" not the "Ye NEW Rocket Forum".

:D

Initiator001
02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
I was just wondering why this portion of the forum very rarely has anything new posted in it.

John Boren

John,

Well, I posted about two new kits I finished building, an Estes Cosmic Explorer and a Semroc Mini-Explorer.

I didn't make a post about the Estes Super Alpha I built. My bad. :o

I really like the Super Alpha but I can't say exactly why. I attended a launch up in Los Angeles last month and there were three other Super Alphas flown plus mine. :)

I am curious why the Cosmic Explorer had through-the-wall (TTW) fin mounting while the Super Alpha was just surface mount?

Just keep bringing out new kits, they'll all get attention. :D

blackshire
02-27-2011, 02:25 AM

John BorenIn my case, it's because what I have been finding in the Estes RTF rockets during a random sampling from various vendors is not something that Estes would care to have "shouted from the rooftops" (at least not in detail), although the "fixes" for the different-but-all-related QC (Quality Control) problems are, fortunately, quite simple to formulate and implement.

tbzep
02-27-2011, 09:06 AM

John Boren

Because YORF's core is based on "Old Rockets". ;)

We tend to build current production kits and present them in the "Projects" forum. We have sub divided the forum so much that many threads could fit into two or three categories and we tend to use the categories we spend the most time in. Sometimes specializing isn't all it's cracked up to be. TRF has had even more categories for a good while and several haven't even made it to 30 threads.

To me this forum is for discussion about current production kits. I don't see much to discuss about them. They are here, we can see, touch, and build them. Discussion of future kits, yeah. Past kits, sure.

JumpJet
02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
I personally don't like through the wall on small diameter body tubes say BT-60 and under. The reason for this is that the tubes bow out by the slots and it is almost impossible to get a smooth looking tube-fin area. You would have to ask Dorffler why he made one design with through the wall and the other without. I will say however that sometimes I do something one way just so it is different. I can only assume Dorffler had the same reason. I personally change even simple things on models so they are not all the same. Hopefully you will enjoy some of the building styles I am introducing in this years kits. My main Hobby Back ground is in Model Airplanes and I am carrying over some of these design aspects into model rockets when ever the model isn't a simple tube with fins on it. You can see some of my airplane designs on my web site. www.johnboren.com I created this website to go along with my resume.

John Boren

Leo
02-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I personally don't like through the wall on small diameter body tubes say BT-60 and under. The reason for this is that the tubes bow out by the slots and it is almost impossible to get a smooth looking tube-fin area.
John Boren
Well, the ones I've built so far were great. By coincidence I primed my Star Wars Deathstar today that uses slotted fins on a small dia body tube. It was a clean and simple build with completely straight and durable mounted fins. I guess it depends on the body tube material.

Cohetero-negro
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM

John Boren

Hey John!

Yes yes we would all like to know about new products from Estes! Please post them!

But Fred is right, this is primarily about old stuff, but we can always talk about new stuff being offered from Estes that reflects the old stuff ;)

Jonathan

P.s. Are you going to kit that Nike-Hercules you won NARAM 52 Giant scale? Even a 'partial' kit would be nice!

JumpJet
03-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I can't really talk about NEW stuff until it has been announced in public. After NARCON I should be able to talk about the accessories coming out.

I would LOVE to do a Nike Hercules for Estes. I need to figure out how to produce a Scale kit and not a semi scale kit of it. For instance how to I create the upper and lower stage fins so they have the diamond shape cross sections. Do I produce large injection molded parts of the fins, build them up out of balsa and card stock, or simply give the modeler a thick piece of balsa and tell them to shape it. I did the later for my NARAM scale model but I don't think that would fly for a kit your spending good money for. Plastic would be the easiest to do but the most expensive way of going. Built up would be a real challenge to construct but cheap in cost. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last but not least should the model be a four engine cluster or should I cheat and put a center engine in the bottom. What about stageing. Should it be able to be a two stage model or should it just be a single stage model. Sometimes designing the model one way as a kit will make it very difficult to do it the other way. Again, anyone have any suggestions?

John Boren

jharding58
03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Didn't the Python have two piece injection moulded fins with a diamond section? Wasn't that a Terrier Sandhawk Booster fin? If you didn't want to cluster the Hercules you could simulate the four motors with tubes cut in half (or I suppose a little more but half would cut down on tube overhead) and glued to a core containing the motor and main chute, then eject the sustainer unde a separate chute. Couldn't you come close with a smooth V2 boattail and NC?

CPMcGraw
03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
...For instance how to I create the upper and lower stage fins so they have the diamond shape cross sections. Do I produce large injection molded parts of the fins, build them up out of balsa and card stock, or simply give the modeler a thick piece of balsa and tell them to shape it...

I'd suggest... none of the above.

Build light. Depending on how large this model is going to be, what about using a balsa/basswood/plywood core, suitably hollowed out with portions removed, then skinned with vacuum-formed detailed and shaped plastic sheet?

You get a part that has the lightness and the strength you need, with a construction method that should satisfy most "craftsmen".

PaulK
03-03-2011, 12:02 PM

John BorenIt really is more of a "New Kit Talk" sub forum, and sometimes has a moderate amount of traffic, but lately it sure hasn't. There certainly is overlap with "Vendors" and "Projects". I think when some of the Summer 2011 kits come out, we'll see more traffic. I'm particularly excited about the QCC Explorer, that looks to be a really interesting build! The MIRV, Hyper Bat, & Air Commander look great too.

PaulK
03-03-2011, 12:12 PM
...I would LOVE to do a Nike Hercules for Estes...Ideally it would be a cluster/staged model, but that may not be practical; I'd settle for one or the other. It would be completely boring to be a single engine, single stage model. As for the fins, built-up balsa & card stock might be a nice compromise - light weight, fun to build (as long as the balsa is laser-cut!), reasonable strength. Is the cross-section thick enough to make this do-able?

GregGleason
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM

I would LOVE to do a Nike Hercules for Estes. I need to figure out how to produce a Scale kit and not a semi scale kit of it. For instance how to I create the upper and lower stage fins so they have the diamond shape cross sections. Do I produce large injection molded parts of the fins, build them up out of balsa and card stock, or simply give the modeler a thick piece of balsa and tell them to shape it. I did the later for my NARAM scale model but I don't think that would fly for a kit your spending good money for. Plastic would be the easiest to do but the most expensive way of going. Built up would be a real challenge to construct but cheap in cost. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last but not least should the model be a four engine cluster or should I cheat and put a center engine in the bottom. What about stageing. Should it be able to be a two stage model or should it just be a single stage model. Sometimes designing the model one way as a kit will make it very difficult to do it the other way. Again, anyone have any suggestions?

John Boren

John here is my $0.02.

If it is scale, injection molded fins with and option for single-motor or four-motor configuration. No staging for the kit. Staging gurus will come up with the mod themselves and adjust the CGs accordingly. That would be my expectation for Estes 2.0. I would be very interested in and very likely buy a model like this, especially with all of the tiny little decal data, too. I am thinking BT60s for the booster tubes, though BT80s would be epic.

If it is semi-scale, option for balsa or built-up fins. Probably a single-motor. My interest in a kit like this would only be moderate.

Greg

JumpJet
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I will be displaying a few of the new kits at NARCON next weeks and have donated some of the new releases as prizes as well, including the QCC Explorer. Personal need to make an upscale model of the QCC since it is good looking model.

If there is a Nike Hercules kit, it will be based on a BT-60 body tube for the booster section just like my NARAM 52 scale entry since I've got a lot of the scale details already done.

If anyone hear is attending NARCON you should take some photos of the new stuff I can't talk about. Post a picture or two and then I should be able to talk about it more freely.

Keep the ideas coming, I read them all.

John Boren

johnnwwa
03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I will be displaying a few of the new kits at NARCON next weeks and have donated some of the new releases as prizes as well, including the QCC Explorer. Personal need to make an upscale model of the QCC since it is good looking model.

If there is a Nike Hercules kit, it will be based on a BT-60 body tube for the booster section just like my NARAM 52 scale entry since I've got a lot of the scale details already done.

If anyone hear is attending NARCON you should take some photos of the new stuff I can't talk about. Post a picture or two and then I should be able to talk about it more freely.

Keep the ideas coming, I read them all.

John Boren

I will be at NARCON and plan on taking as many pictures as possible.

John

Leo
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Is this one of the "new" products coming out? :D

http://web4.hobbylinc.com/gr/est/est302231.jpg

gpoehlein
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Is this one of the "new" products coming out? :D

http://web4.hobbylinc.com/gr/est/est302231.jpg

I can answer that one - I've pre-ordered it from my LHS and the latest listing from his distributor says sometime in April. Of course, I'm still waiting for my Maxi Alpha III to show up, and it was scheduled for mid-February, so... :p

Greg

Chas Russell
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
John,
We met at the last NARAM and I was the LCO for your Nike-Herc flight. Been in the hobby since 1967, served on the NAR Board with Vern Estes, and have WAY more kits than I can ever build.
I DO want a couple of the QCC Explorer kits!!! Being a retired Air Force missile tech, it reminds me of the rocket/ramjets that we should already have....

Looking forward to the goodies and news out of NARCON.

Chas

GregGleason
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM
I can answer that one - I've pre-ordered it from my LHS and the latest listing from his distributor says sometime in April. Of course, I'm still waiting for my Maxi Alpha III to show up, and it was scheduled for mid-February, so... :p

Greg

About an hour ago on Facebook, Estes Rockets states:

1903 Maxi Alpha 3. IT HAS ARRIVED! Now available ...

Greg

JumpJet
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Greg,

The Fin alignment guide will be there but thats not one of the new Things I'm talking about. I've got three brand new accesorries I'll be showing. Not sure when I should show them though, at my vendor table or Saturday night at the Vendor forum?

Chas,

Thanks for the winning flight at NARAM. Please reintroduce yourself to me. I remember faces pretty good but can't remember a name to save my life.

John,

Great name. Feel free to NOT photo me. I hate seeing how FAT I look these days!

John Boren

gpoehlein
03-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Greg,

The Fin alignment guide will be there but thats not one of the new Things I'm talking about. I've got three brand new accesorries I'll be showing. Not sure when I should show them though, at my vendor table or Saturday night at the Vendor forum?

<snip>

John Boren

Ya - I figured that since the Fin Alignment Guide is already in the catalog - I was just answering Leo. Wish I could be at NARCON to see the new stuff, but that's just a bit too far for me to travel right now. I should make it to NARAM this year, at least for Sport Flying Weekend. I'm hoping to finally meet a bunch of the people I've been talking to here and on TRF.

Greg

johnnwwa
03-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Greg,

John,

Great name. Feel free to NOT photo me. I hate seeing how FAT I look these days!

John Boren

New Things: Saturday at the Vendors table.

Photo :Will a head shot be ok? :rolleyes:

Name: I've lived with it for a long time. Worked pretty well so far. except when I was in the Marines. I kept getting these Dear John letters .

John

Ltvscout
03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I will be at NARCON and plan on taking as many pictures as possible.

John
We'd appreciate it if you post the pics here when you can. Thanks, John!

Initiator001
03-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I'd suggest... none of the above.

Build light. Depending on how large this model is going to be, what about using a balsa/basswood/plywood core, suitably hollowed out with portions removed, then skinned with vacuum-formed detailed and shaped plastic sheet?

You get a part that has the lightness and the strength you need, with a construction method that should satisfy most "craftsmen".

Sadly, that would doom such a kit to low sales. :(

"Craftsmen" are not Estes main customer base.

Leo
03-04-2011, 12:38 AM

I was just answering Leo.

Greg

Bad move, I want John to talk, talk more :D

Oh, and always pay attention to the smilies :) They say more than you think ;)

JumpJet
03-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Leo,

Thanks for the info on the smiles. Never really noticed them before but then again I had to ask what LOL ment after seeing if for six months not having a clue what I was looking at. I don't text, tweet, myspace or any other form of social neetworking stuff. I only participate in several forums.

John Boren

Ltvscout
03-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I only participate in several forums.
What?! There are forums other than YORF?! :chuckle:

ghrocketman
03-04-2011, 09:02 AM
I would really like to see an affordable Nike Hercules come out from Estes with BT-60 booster tubes.
A Nike Zeus-A and -B would be great too.

Leo
03-04-2011, 09:15 AM

I only participate in several forums.

John Boren
and we appreciate it very much that among the forums you've chosen this one http://www.oldrocketforum.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Leo
03-04-2011, 09:16 AM
What?! There are forums other than YORF?! :chuckle:

Don't push it Scott ;)

ghrocketman
03-04-2011, 12:05 PM
In my book, YORF is THEE rocketry forum, with all others being minor bit players that mostly ride the pine, with some doing nothing more than hogging cyber-space.