PDA

View Full Version : Gyroc Hinges?

ShieldWolf
04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
I cloned a Gyroc several years ago, and the masking tape that I used for the hinges has lost it's stickyness, and it's flexability. What would you suggest as a replacement?

Thanks,
Randal

Bob H
04-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I cloned a Gyroc several years ago, and the masking tape that I used for the hinges has lost it's stickyness, and it's flexability. What would you suggest as a replacement?

Thanks,
Randal

Mailing labels

ShieldWolf
04-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Any brand or type in particular?

Any idea how long the mailing labels will last?

How well do they take paint?

I suppose I could run them through the printer first and make them serve double duty as hinges and decals. :)

Thanks,
Randal

Bob H
04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Any brand or type in particular?

Any idea how long the mailing labels will last?

How well do they take paint?

I suppose I could run them through the printer first and make them serve double duty as hinges and decals. :)

Thanks,
Randal

The mailing labels that I have were given to me so I don't know what brand they are. They seem to be about the same as the hinge material that came with the kits.

I have been told that Avery makes good labels.

Bob

Centurion-4
04-04-2005, 07:27 PM

Thanks,
Randal

Randall,

I used 3M Clear Plastic Tape on my Gyroc-D ( as featured in NARTS MIVARS reprint #3).
It will last a long time. I built it in 1989. And it is still working.

Skyward,
Larry Rice / CSAR

CPMcGraw
04-05-2005, 12:36 AM

Thanks,
Randal

You might try a relatively new product from DuBro, #915 Park Flyer Hinge Tape. :rolleyes:

No experience with it, but DuBro puts out some very good RC products... ;)

Craig McGraw :cool:

Bob H
04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
You might try a relatively new product from DuBro, #915 Park Flyer Hinge Tape. :rolleyes:

Of course, what a concept! ;)

Using products made for something else on our rockets.

I should have known about the park flyer hinge tape because I fly R/C too. Doh!

Bob

ShieldWolf
04-08-2005, 07:38 AM
My local hobby shop doesn't have the hinge tape in stock, so I'm going to give the mailing labels A try.

Now I'm looking for a bit of artwork to dress up the labels before I apply them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randal

surdumil
04-11-2005, 09:57 PM
I suggest cutting the hinge material from a Tyvek envelope. I've used Tyvek hinges on a Estes Sky Dart clone and on a Kopter Pterasaur clone.

The Pterasaur is an excellent test of the hinge's durability as its strong elastic, fast flight speed, and D-powered boost put a lot of stress and strain on the elevon hinges.

Tyvek appears to glue down very well with plain old yellow glue, too. I love the stuff!

Dwayne Surdu-Miller
SAROS #001

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-11-2005, 10:35 PM
My local hobby shop doesn't have the hinge tape in stock, so I'm going to give the mailing labels A try.

Now I'm looking for a bit of artwork to dress up the labels before I apply them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randal

Get yourself some Sharpie pens and write "DEPLOY OR DIE" on the hinges. No, on second thought, I think that's what I might do. :D

CPMcGraw
04-11-2005, 11:09 PM
I believe the German phrase for "No Step" is "Nicht Anfassen"...

Can't remember what "No Push" was...

Craig

ShieldWolf
04-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Tyvec huh? I think I have one of those FedEx envelopes here somewhere. I'll give it a try. I might even be able to cut it in such a way as to be decorative too.

Has anybody tried trim monokote? It would definitely be decorative, but would it be flexible?

Hmm... I may just need to build a couple more Gyrocs to experiment on. Maybe a couple of upscales... or maybe a Goony style gyroc based on a Baby Bertha... there's always that extra Fat Boy... :D

Randal

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-12-2005, 07:50 AM
there's always that extra Fat Boy... :D

Randal

WHOO-EEEE, that'll be a "heads up" flight! :eek:

Phred
04-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Shieldwolf: I am building a Goonrock as I write this. Due to the extra weight of the baby Bertha NC, I decided to go with thre fins instead of two. This should provide a bit more spin. I will post pics when this bird gets somewhat presentable.

Ltvscout
04-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I believe the German phrase for "No Step" is "Nicht Anfassen"...

Can't remember what "No Push" was...

Craig
Nicht pushenzie? ;)

ShieldWolf
04-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Last night I removed the last of the masking tape that I had originally used for hinges, and sanded down the area. I first tried Skotch tape, (it was sitting right in front of me) but it didn't stick worth a darn.

Next, I tried the mailing labels, but they didn't stick well either. Mine were old, and an off brand, so maybe some new Avery mailing labels will work better.

About this time I come up with the idea of using a piece of heavy interfacing, but couldn't locate any in the house. I did find a used dryer sheet while I was checking the laundry room. I cut a strip about 3/4" wide and CyA'd that to the fin and rudder(elevator?). It looks rough, but feels like it should work.

I'll try to take a couple of pictures this afternoon before and after I hit it wih some paint.

I still want to try the Tyvec, and the hinge tape , and possibly a pair of nylon hinges. It looks like I need to build a whole fleet of Gyrocs to test. :D

ShieldWolf
04-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Went home and hit the Gyroc with a little paint. Ick! :eek: No way I'm posting pictures of that.. :o

The dryer sheet material still feels like it will hold up well, but it looks horrible. Even from 10 feet back. I'll give it a test flight or two, but it's time to clone another.

Randal

RocketBoy 32
04-24-2005, 01:52 PM
I suggest cutting the hinge material from a Tyvek envelope. I've used Tyvek hinges on a Estes Sky Dart clone and on a Kopter Pterasaur clone.

The Pterasaur is an excellent test of the hinge's durability as its strong elastic, fast flight speed, and D-powered boost put a lot of stress and strain on the elevon hinges.

Tyvek appears to glue down very well with plain old yellow glue, too. I love the stuff!

Dwayne Surdu-Miller
SAROS #001

Tyvek does work well for hinges and structural reinforcement as well. I'm sure glad I work for the Post Office. There's about 80 Gyroc's worth of tyvek in one Priority Mail envelope.

Barring that, try some C/A hinges for R/C planes. I know they're designed to fit into a slot but you should be able to C/A them to the wing surface without incurring too much drag.

EJS