PDA

View Full Version : Rocksim Update

CPMcGraw
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Revision 9.1.0 build 111 has just been released.

Changes for version 9.1.0f111
MAC WARNING: This version of RockSim requires an Intel mac running Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Due to constraints imposed by the libraries used by RockSim, support for Power PC based macs has been delayed.
RockSim console app: Fixed a bug that prevented the simulation output files from being written out to the new data folder location.
Upgraded to Qt 4.7.1 on Mac and Windows.
Added File - Import - Engine files menu item. This function copies engine data files into the RockSim engine data folder.
Fixed a bug that caused RockSim design files with embedded periods to save without a file type.
Updated test report display and print interface to use QtWebKit. This was done to improve display and print formatting.
Fixed body tube database errors for Totally Tubular, and Vaughn Bros. The Part No and Description columns were reversed.
Fixed b2 Rocketry database errors. The SkyAngle Part No and Description columns were reversed.
Fixed a crash in the simulation optimal mass plot code. Plotting the graph more than once for a simulation would sometimes crash.
Fixed the OK button processing in the simulation optimal mass setup screen.
Fixed a bug in the check for updates code. The version stamp compare code was finding updates on the web site when there were none.
Fixed a bug in the installer post processing code. RockSim would attempt to import new database files over and over again on some systems.
Added a scripting interface to RockSim. This feature enables script based plugins to be integrated into RockSim. The script language is based on the ECMAScript standard. Additional documentation on the use of the script interface will be published.

jharding58
03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Mine is telling me .113

CPMcGraw
03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
There has been a very recent update in Rocksim (as discovered by jharding58), which brings the build number up to 9.1.0.113. It was released either Wednesday (3-9-11) or today.

Changes for version 9.1.0f113
Fixed a typo in the File Save as logic that was causing an incorrect file type suffix to be appended to the save file name.
Added an Import Files button to the Reload engines dialog.

nvrocketeer
03-11-2011, 06:25 PM
... and the writing is on the wall for PowerPC Macs. As per usual. Ah, well.

CPMcGraw
03-11-2011, 08:14 PM
... and the writing is on the wall for PowerPC Macs. As per usual. Ah, well.

I looked to see if WINE could run on a PPC linux, but sadly, no... :(

Get yourself a cheap laptop, dump Windows, load up Ubuntu 10.10 (soon to be 11.04) and install WINE 1.3...

Rocksim runs as smoothly this way as it does native on Windows.

Flatlander
03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
This is the first time that I have tried to update Rocksim, since I have only had it for a couple of months. I am running Windows Vista (please, no anti-Windows comments) and after downloading the entire version, it says that the uploader will start after closing RockSim. Well, I close it, and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

jharding58
03-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Not sure of your version of Rocksim but there is a background process which kicks off when the application is closed. You will see rocksim.exe running the installation in the Vista equivalent of Task Manager. But again, not sure of the version you are running and if "About" is accurately updated. All else fails go with the Full download as opposed to updates.

CPMcGraw
04-03-2011, 11:55 PM
RockSim build 9.1.0.113

Released: March 10, 2011

Changes for version 9.1.0f113

Fixed a typo in the File Save As logic that was causing an incorrect file type suffix to be appended to the save file name.
Added an Import Files button to the Reload engines dialog.

Changes for version 9.1.0.111

MAC WARNING: This version of RockSim requires an Intel mac running Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Due to constraints imposed by the libraries used by RockSim, support for Power PC based macs has been delayed.
RockSim console app: Fixed a bug that prevented the simulation output files from being written out to the new data folder location.
Upgraded to Qt 4.7.1 on Mac and Windows.
Added File - Import - Engine files menu item. This function copies engine data files into the RockSim engine data folder.
Fixed a bug that caused RockSim design files with embedded periods to save without a file type.
Updated test report display and print interface to use QtWebKit. This was done to improve display and print formatting.
Fixed body tube database errors for Totally Tubular, and Vaughn Bros. The Part No and Description columns were reversed.
Fixed b2 Rocketry database errors. The SkyAngle Part No and Description columns were reversed.
Fixed a crash in the simulation optimal mass plot code. Plotting the graph more than once for a simulation would sometimes crash.
Fixed the OK button processing in the simulation optimal mass setup screen.
Fixed a bug in the check for updates code. The version stamp compare code was finding updates on the web site when there were none.
Fixed a bug in the installer post processing code. RockSim would attempt to import new database files over and over again on some systems.
Added a scripting interface to RockSim. This feature enables script based plugins to be integrated into RockSim. The script language is based on the ECMAScript standard. Additional documentation on the use of the script interface will be published.

CPMcGraw
04-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Oh, well... :o

I just fired up RockSim on my Linux laptop, and it was still at build 87. That's why the notice for build 113 popped up, and I had forgotten my other machines were already upgraded. :D

Tau Zero
04-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I just fired up RockSim on my Linux laptop, and it was still at build 87. That's why the notice for build 113 popped up, and I had forgotten my other machines were already upgraded. :DSo I finally took my laptop down to the library, which has high speed internet access, so I could FINALLY download the most recent RS9 update.

I downloaded the "whole version," but neglected to install it immediately. I went looking for the update file on my hard drive, to no avail.

Without using language that's safe for family viewing, WHERE THE BLOODY [Gehenna] IS THE UPDATE FILE?!? :mad: :eek: :o

Sorry, I've been away so many months that I feel like a complete idiot. (FWIW, I *do* have a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Drums" on my bookshelf, along with "Drums for Dummies.")

Craig, guys, help me out, eh?

This one guy from Idaho,

CPMcGraw
04-13-2011, 06:56 AM
RockSim used to download the new file into the "current RockSim installation" directory, but the last two or three versions have been stuffing them in another location...

Walk this way:

"C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ApogeeComponents\Rocksim_9"

Then, tiptoe through these tulips:

"UpdateDownloads"

This is also the same general path that you use to update the CSV files. RockSim seems to completely ignore the old locations.

Tau Zero
04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
(grateful whisper) "Thank you, Craig." :D ;) :cool:

James Pierson
04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Computers are Stupid......or is it just me. :o Went back and found all the parts file and downloade them to old compter and the use thumb drive to transfer to the laptop. Droped the part file into the DataImport file and Rocksim just seem to ignore them....WTH :confused: With no Semroc parts in Rocksim on my laptop I am sunk. What am I doin wrong??....Craig,.......anybody help.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Bill
04-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Computers are Stupid......

Computers are stupid. They can only do what a human directs and even that has to be in excruciating detail. Their only saving grace is that they can do the same thing over and over very quickly.

Bill, computer coach...

snaquin
04-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Computers are Stupid......or is it just me. :o Went back and found all the parts file and downloade them to old compter and the use thumb drive to transfer to the laptop. Droped the part file into the DataImport file and Rocksim just seem to ignore them....WTH :confused: With no Semroc parts in Rocksim on my laptop I am sunk. What am I doin wrong??....Craig,.......anybody help.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

If the RockSim installation on the laptop is fresh and you don't care what's in the parts files that come with the installation, just copy the parts files you have with your custom parts directly over the files on the laptop, into the proper directory.

Very seldom does a new update version of RockSim have any new parts in the files so I usually just back up my files with all my custom and SEMROC parts, and copy those over to each new install to retain what I have without all the import hassle. (Back up the files in your laptop install anyway in case you want to revert back to them for any reason). Never liked the import feature with all the prompts to overwrite ect. so seldom use that feature. Either that or I update the files using OpenOffice directly and resave them.

:)

CPMcGraw
04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Ditto Steve's comment:

...If the RockSim installation on the laptop is fresh and you don't care what's in the parts files that come with the installation, just copy the parts files you have with your custom parts directly over the files on the laptop, into the proper directory....

Also remember the new issue about the old Data and DataImport folders - RockSim may be completely ignoring these folders now, relying instead on the new folders located at:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ApogeeComponents\Rocksim_9

Try blowing out the content of the new "Data" folder and inserting your custom CSV files before cranking the program up. The worst that can happen is you have to reinstall RockSim again...

CPMcGraw
04-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Computers are stupid. They can only do what a human directs and even that has to be in excruciating detail. Their only saving grace is that they can do the same thing over and over very quickly.

The only thing more stupid than the computer is the so-called documentation that accompanies much of the software we use. It is typically either generations out-of-date, or outright wrong, if it's present at all.

kevinj
04-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Looks like a new build again...

Changes for version 9.1.0f114
Fixed the simulation summary print process. The page margins are now working correctly.
Printing simulation graphs using File - Print or the Print toolbar icon now works correctly.

CPMcGraw
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
That makes three builds in the last two months, IIRC...

I think it has to do with the switch to the new Qt library (4.7.1). They had been using 4.5.0 since build 9.0.4.78.

jharding58
05-05-2011, 04:37 AM
There has to be more to the foloder issue than the parts database. I downloaded the 114 update through a running version of Rocksim 9 and after downloading the splash is paresented regarding the updater will process when the app closes. Nothing happens after the app closes. When you start Rocksim 9 once more the previous version is still there.

The download of 114 is placed into the aforementioned deeply hidden folder; in my case:

C:\Documents and Settings\John Harding\Local Settings\Application Data\ApogeeComponents\Rocksim_9\UpdateDownloads

You can execute the update from this location as long as the application is shut down. What I do not understand is why the downloader will not install the update automatically? The Rocksim9 application is running out of C:\Program Files\RockSim 9, which I thought was defaulted in installation. I am not aware of making any folder location changes, so I am just perturbed that the app recoginzes a new version, initiates a web download of the update, writes the update file into the location, prompts the user to close the app to start the update, then takes a nap.

CPMcGraw
05-05-2011, 09:49 AM
There has to be more to the foloder issue than the parts database. I downloaded the 114 update through a running version of Rocksim 9 and after downloading the splash is paresented regarding the updater will process when the app closes. Nothing happens after the app closes. When you start Rocksim 9 once more the previous version is still there...

What I usually do is just DL the file, then move it to a new location before running it. When it runs, it over-writes everything in the data folders (including the update folder).

Once I do run the file, I'll have it create a new instance of the package based on the build number, and I generally keep the last-known-good installation intact. I'll make my data file corrections before running the program the first time, and I'll check to make sure all the icon pointers are set to the new build.

Not as difficult as it sounds, really. It preserves a working copy while I check out the new build.

snaquin
02-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Opened RockSim tonight looking for my Mach-1 Dart files to post to an earlier thread and found RockSim Update to version 9.1.3f142

Not sure how long that's been hanging out there but installed it and seems to be working fine.

Notes associated with this build:

Changes for version 9.1.3f142
Changed the Mac OS X installer to make drag and drop installation easier.
Fixed a calculation error on tube fin CP. RockSim was predicting CP values that were too far forward.
Fixed a 2D drawing error on tube fins. The tubes were not being rotated in the top view.
Updated libraries to support Windows 8.
Longitude and latitude values are now saved with sufficient precision.
Fixed a bug in Reset Camera processing. The position of the camera was sometimes wrong or the program would crash.

CPMcGraw
02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
The last update I had on my computer was 118, and I'm not able to install it on my Mint 14 machine right now. It's throwing up a "pixel format" error under Wine.

It's been so long since I've used RockSim...

CPMcGraw
04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
It's been a LONG TIME since I last did anything with RockSim, I've nearly forgotten how to work with it... :(

Since I'm a Linuxhead, I had to update my Wine installation to 1.5.26. This was a real PITA for some reason, the repositories didn't want to be found the first couple of times.

Next, I had to download the RockSim DEMO from the website to get the latest version. Good thing I did, it's now up to V 9.1.4 build 145.

This now works, and once I pointed it to the license file, it became a registered product. They use the same executable for both the demo and the paid versions...

Just wish this quad-core machine could apply all four cores to the 3D rendering. It's still grass-growing slow...

snaquin
04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
It's been a LONG TIME since I last did anything with RockSim, I've nearly forgotten how to work with it... :(

Since I'm a Linuxhead, I had to update my Wine installation to 1.5.26. This was a real PITA for some reason, the repositories didn't want to be found the first couple of times.

Next, I had to download the RockSim DEMO from the website to get the latest version. Good thing I did, it's now up to V 9.1.4 build 145.

This now works, and once I pointed it to the license file, it became a registered product. They use the same executable for both the demo and the paid versions...

Just wish this quad-core machine could apply all four cores to the 3D rendering. It's still grass-growing slow...

I need to open RockSim and grab that latest version update. I must admit I haven't spent much time in the program either and have a few designs that I was working on a few months ago but haven't spent the time to finish :(

I have a Nike-Ram Plus that I started designing with a larger payload section sort of a cross between the Nike-Ram and the EnerJet 1340/20 and began tweaking a Sonic 36 clone that I have renewed interest in and I started construction on that model now that new E and F black powder engines are coming from Estes.

Most of my posts are from my iPad lately and I never seem to get near my home PC and RockSim these days ... although I try.

:o

tbzep
04-03-2013, 09:03 PM
I gave up on Wine a while back and just started using Virtualbox and WinXP. I had a couple of programs I never could get to run on Wine and since I only use them once in a blue moon, firing up a virtual machine isn't a big deal.