PDA

View Full Version : Best First HPR 2 Stage Kit?

NorthwoodsRockets
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
I am looking for a kit to get into two-stage HPR. I am thinking of the PML’s Quantum Leap, Mini BBX/Terrier Booster, or Thunder-N-Lightning. What other two-stage kits are there out there? What is the best first staging rocket kit? What would you change if you were ordering a kit? I fly in the east. :confused:

Bill
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I am looking for a kit to get into two-stage HPR. I am thinking of the PML’s Quantum Leap, Mini BBX/Terrier Booster, or Thunder-N-Lightning. What other two-stage kits are there out there? What is the best first staging rocket kit? What would you change if you were ordering a kit? I fly in the east. :confused:

I do not have any personal experience with HPR staging, but can testify that the BBX/Terrier flies very well: http://www.dars.org/gallery/dads2005/p6180011.htm

Bill

Jerry Irvine
03-22-2011, 01:12 PM
U.S. Rockets Sonic 2200. Electronic or pyro staging since 1982. Before HPR. Dual deploy ready too. 29mm. Dealer stocked item.

J Blatz
03-26-2011, 12:30 PM
U.S. Rockets Sonic 2200. Electronic or pyro staging since 1982. Before HPR. Dual deploy ready too. 29mm. Dealer stocked item.

Jerry-

I've been building rockets for twenty plus years, but have built very few two-stagers. This winter I built the Sonic 2200, and I gotta say, great kit. I have really enjoyed it, and the price is right.

Recommended.

X-wooshprez
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I taught the kids at Mad West H. S. a little bit about scratch building
two stage rockets and they have done a two stage rocket for NASA's SLI program every year since.
I'm such a fool, I bet Vince Huegele wants to shoot me.

You can take any good rocket and build it for the possiblity of being staged in the future by
moving the rear centering ring forward, reinforcing the airframe with a wrap or two of 6oz. fiberglass, and building a conduit to carry a pair of wires (long lead Ematch) from the electronics bay to the motor.
That said, building a strong interstage coupler is huge, designing the booster is big stuff...
etc.

If you are looking for a kit that will take you a long time to outgrow it and impossible to overpower it the 3" wildman kit can be ordered with a booster.

NorthwoodsRockets
04-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. Lots of good info!