PDA

View Full Version : Rocksim of old Estes DOMs

Raygun
03-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Just a quick general question: Has anyone attempted to Rocksim any of the Design of the Month rockets from MRN? Just as case studies of proven design worthiness?

gdjsky01
04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Just a quick general question: Has anyone attempted to Rocksim any of the Design of the Month rockets from MRN? Just as case studies of proven design worthiness?

I have built and flown Plan #80 - Equinox. I have the sim file. But it's not on the computer I am on right now.

I have also built and flown the 3 stage ring rocket.

Those are the two I can think of off hand.

Edit: Here's the rocksim 9 file for the Equinox

Raygun
04-26-2011, 11:10 PM
I have built and flown Plan #80 - Equinox. I have the sim file. But it's not on the computer I am on right now.

I have also built and flown the 3 stage ring rocket.

Those are the two I can think of off hand.

Edit: Here's the rocksim 9 file for the Equinox

Sorry I didn't get a chance to thank you for submitting a Rocksim file earlier. I have neglected things awhile, but i hope this string stays alive and people would submit enough that it becomes a shared repository of research on existing plans to be pushed further and in different directions using digital media for analysis of these old designs :) .

gdjsky01
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Yer welcome... I am surprised so few have done this. :confused: There are a lot of great designs. Most (all?) are on JimZ's site. The Equinox was fun! Lots of paper transitions that turned out better than I had initial thought they would. The decals were my own design, drawn in Photoshop and printed on decal paper. Little beaten up now as it's flown quite a few sorties.

The 3 stage ring rocket was a bit fragile. But again a lot of fun. Both would (will??) make cool upscales... :D

Raygun
04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Yer welcome... I am surprised so few have done this. :confused: There are a lot of great designs. Most (all?) are on JimZ's site. The Equinox was fun! Lots of paper transitions that turned out better than I had initial thought they would. The decals were my own design, drawn in Photoshop and printed on decal paper. Little beaten up now as it's flown quite a few sorties.

The 3 stage ring rocket was a bit fragile. But again a lot of fun. Both would (will??) make cool upscales... :D

Good for you! I plan to get my hands dirty with some of those designs myself. Paper transitions are my personal favorite challenge. When you get good practice at making them, boy they look amazing especially when you can make the final finish appear seamless. I do my own decals myself too, including mixing custom colors of paint to save money and to make sure I use up everything I have.

Maniac BAR
05-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Just catching up with the forum. I have done the three ring fin rocket and the one called The Eagle. It is another ring fin rocket and both are excellent fliers! :)

I have a sim file of the three ring fin rocket which I call The Ring Fin Thingy. :chuckle: I did make some small adjustments just so I wouldn't go nuts trying to cut the ring fins. I increased the width to .5" and the same for the pylons.

Have not done the Eagle RockSim yet but should get to it soon. Since neither one had any kind of paint scheme, the pictures show what I came up with.

I am hoping to get to some more of those great designs over the summer hibrenation here in AZ. For two months coming up you will melt if you go outside. :chuckle:

Eagle3
05-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Great rocksim files and models guys! Thanks!

Buzz

gdjsky01
05-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Here's mine from long ago. I need to build another... :D