PDA

View Full Version : "Signing up" at long last...

Tau Zero
06-06-2006, 11:51 PM
So what did I do with the extra cash that I got for working Memorial Day, instead of a "comp day?"

The last day of NARCON, Scott Goebel and I were reviewing how things had turned out. He said, "I'm surprised more NAR members weren't jumping at the chance to chauffeur Lee and Betty Piester around."

Then *I* divulged my embarrassing secret to Scott. He asked in disbelief, "You're *not* a NAR member yet?"

As of five minutes ago, that is *no longer the case.* Gentlemen, I am proud to announce to you all that, for the first time in my ~44.5 years,

--"I *am* the NAR." :D :cool:

But I'll have to wait a few days before I can add my number to my .sig file. :( :rolleyes: :cool:

"Upon receipt of this application at NAR HQ, it will be processed immediately and you can expect to receive your membership license within two weeks. You will also begin receiving Sport Rocketry magazine and our Model Rocketeer newsletter, effective with the next regular issue."

That apparently will be the July issue, which I have on good authority will contain NARCON 2006 coverage.

"Four to eight weeks after your membership license arrives, you will get a second packet of membership material, including discount coupons and descriptions of other NAR programs in which you can participate."

I'd better start saving more money now, huh? Let's see, the 4th of July is on Tuesday this year, and I could rake in 80 more bucks of take-home pay for working that day... :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

NAR ?????

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-07-2006, 12:31 AM
At least we know it won't be 666. :eek: ;)

Tau Zero
06-07-2006, 12:54 AM
At least we know it won't be 666. :eek: ;)True. But I'll be *more* than a little freaked out if it's 66666.

I just went to usps.com to see if that was a legitimate ZIP code.

I got the answer, "The ZIP Code you entered could not be found in our database. Please confirm the ZIP Code and try again."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-07-2006, 07:47 AM
:eek:

Ltvscout
06-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Count Floyd! I LOVE SCTV!

Tweener
06-07-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm not a NAR member either. As far as I know, there are no clubs within 50 miles at least. I just can't see the use when my rocketry is pretty much a solitary activity. When I was a kid I had quite a few friends in the hobby with me, but we grew up and I'm the only BAR. :( It would be nice to have others around to "hang out" with. Alas, this forum is my only link to anyone else my own age with an interest in rocketry.

Signed,

Lonely in Ohio

JRThro
06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm not a NAR member either. As far as I know, there are no clubs within 50 miles at least. I just can't see the use when my rocketry is pretty much a solitary activity. When I was a kid I had quite a few friends in the hobby with me, but we grew up and I'm the only BAR. :( It would be nice to have others around to "hang out" with. Alas, this forum is my only link to anyone else my own age with an interest in rocketry.

Signed,

Lonely in Ohio
Lance, go check out The Rocketry Forum, at www.rocketryforum.com. It's even bigger and more active than this forum, and many of the people who frequent YORF also hang around TRF.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Count Floyd! I LOVE SCTV!

Yeah, me too. I should have asked for the DVD set for Father's Day. Did you know that Count Floyd had a record out in 1982? Gotta track that one down to go with my two Bob and Doug albums. Great wall decorations. ;)

tbzep
06-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I was a member but when I got out of HPR I let both my TRA and NAR expire. At the time, the NAR mag was mostly geared toward mid and high power. I'd like to be a member, but I go through tires on my VFR (my main interest right now) pretty quickly and every little nickel counts.

JRThro
06-07-2006, 04:58 PM
True. But I'll be *more* than a little freaked out if it's 66666.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jay, they should be well into the mid to upper 80,000's by now. My number, assigned in 2/05, is 84553. So I think you're safe from being given 66666.

DeanHFox
06-07-2006, 05:19 PM

Signed,

Lonely in Ohio

Lance --- just FYI, I grew up in Lima (Elida, actually) and moved to Milwaukee about 6 years ago.

I, too, never got into mid or high-power because of "no local club"....the closest was MIVARS (Miami Valley Rocket Society) down in Dayton...I went to a couple of their launches, but I couldn't convince my wife that the logistics were acceptable for me to go 70-odd miles whenever I wanted to launch rockets...so I stuck with "D" power and below, and flew 'em in fields around the house. :(

Very best of luck to you, though...maybe someday there'll be a club in northwest Ohio. Heck, maybe YOU'LL be the one to start it! :)

Ltvscout
06-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah, me too. I should have asked for the DVD set for Father's Day. Did you know that Count Floyd had a record out in 1982? Gotta track that one down to go with my two Bob and Doug albums. Great wall decorations. ;)
Aooooooooooooooooo. Scary! I have Bob & Doug's first album. Didn't know Count Floyd had one as well.

snaquin
06-07-2006, 06:58 PM
As of five minutes ago, that is *no longer the case.* Gentlemen, I am proud to announce to you all that, for the first time in my ~44.5 years,

--"I *am* the NAR." :D :cool:
Cheers,

--Jay
NAR ?????

Hello Jay

Your NAR # will probably be slightly higher than mine. I signed up about 6 months ago with the NAR. I flew without membership in TRA or NAR for many years and although it's somewhat of an expense I'm happy that my money goes to support both organizations and their legal funds.

I haven't subscribed to the TRA magazine as part of my membership for the last couple of years but I really do like Sport Rocketry. It was worth the membership cost just to have access to Sport Rocketry and that played a large part of my signing on with the NAR. Since Hurrican Katrina there is only one newstand in the New Orleans area that handles Sport Rocketry and availability is sporadic at best.

Some of the coupons they will send you as part of your package are dated and are no longer valid. :(

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-07-2006, 08:10 PM

Signed,

Lonely in Ohio

Bit of a ride, but give us a try down at Quark sometime. If we can sync it up, I'll buy the post launch dinner. (Skyline or Chipotle. Your choice. ;) )

Tweener
06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Lance, go check out The Rocketry Forum, at www.rocketryforum.com. It's even bigger and more active than this forum, and many of the people who frequent YORF also hang around TRF.That's what I like about this forum. It's smaller, more personal and doesn't really seem to attract the lazy "yung guyz" that can't spell "str8" (straight) and don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". :D :D

(Except for that one that seemed to want advice on burning/blowing himself up last year. He didn't hang around long.) ;)

JRThro
06-08-2006, 07:33 AM
That's what I like about this forum. It's smaller, more personal and doesn't really seem to attract the lazy "yung guyz" that can't spell "str8" (straight) and don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". :D :D

(Except for that one that seemed to want advice on burning/blowing himself up last year. He didn't hang around long.) ;)
Then apparently he got the advice he was looking for!
;) :eek:

JSP
06-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Personally, I was amazed when I found out that NAR numbers had 6 digits. Suddenly I felt very very old... (That's happening a lot lately- like when I found out that the Hofner 500/1 bass I bought new in 1981 is now officially "vintage," or when people talk about mid '80s to '90s rockets being "vintage." Sigh...)

Green Dragon
06-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Personally, I was amazed when I found out that NAR numbers had 6 digits. Suddenly I felt very very old... (That's happening a lot lately- like when I found out that the Hofner 500/1 bass I bought new in 1981 is now officially "vintage," or when people talk about mid '80s to '90s rockets being "vintage." Sigh...)

yeah, getting old isn't any fun, lol ... but the stories we can tell :-p .

( and I can spell, honest, just can't type, K ? :-)

I was feeling old the other day when I realized my 76 Nova I bought in 1990 is 'suddenly' a 30 year old antique.

As for NAR and TRA numbers, I have a nice 5 digit NAR No., but imagine there's guys on here with 4 digit, maybe 3 ? ... Larry maybe ?

Not sure Tripoli is old enough to be vintage ... but I'll keep my old #, thanks. :-)

~ AL

NAR 34644

Tripoli 90 ( or more correctly on my new card 00090 )

JSP
06-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I have the typing issues too.... I'm not sure if it's because I never really learned how, or if it's because it's getting harder to see the keyboard (I'm NOT wearing bifocals...yet...)

barone
06-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Bit of a ride, but give us a try down at Quark sometime. If we can sync it up, I'll buy the post launch dinner. (Skyline or Chipotle. Your choice. ;) )

Bill....how often do you guys have your sport launches? My mother lives in Springfield and I could just happen to make a trip to visit her...... ;)

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Bill....how often do you guys have your sport launches? My mother lives in Springfield and I could just happen to make a trip to visit her...... ;)

Don
NAR 53455

Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday. This weekend is the next one, then the 24th & 25th, one day of which is our Lone Free Ranger competition.
http://www.quarkers.org/index.html?operations=schedule :cool:

Tweener
06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Lance --- just FYI, I grew up in Lima (Elida, actually) and moved to Milwaukee about 6 years ago. Wow! There's someone here who would actually have heard of my original hometown before I moved here. I'm a former Leipsic Viking. :D

Tweener
06-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Bit of a ride, but give us a try down at Quark sometime. If we can sync it up, I'll buy the post launch dinner. (Skyline or Chipotle. Your choice. ;) )Maybe I'll take you up on that when the Saturn V is completed. (And the new Vulcan, X-24 Bug, Thunder Roc, Semroc Laser X - darn cats!) It would be great to share it with a truely appreciative audience. ;) I'd like to see some of those you've given us pictures of "in the flesh" too.

Tau Zero
06-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Very best of luck to you, though...maybe someday there'll be a club in northwest Ohio. Heck, maybe YOU'LL be the one to start it! :)I've flown with the Tripoli Idaho club 3 times before, but apparently there's not an active NAR Section in the entire state of Idaho.

Yet. :eek: ;) :D :cool:

It looks like I'm elected. A couple of nights ago, we had an extended family gathering since my older brother was in town. I picked out the New China Buffet here in town, and my fortune said (of *all* things), "You are offered the dream of a lifetime. Say yes!"

Given my recent success with the Sirius Interrogator build/flights/reviews, that was just confirmation that I need to move ahead in my rocketry involvement (Tau Zero, Prometheus, etc.). Plus I keep running into people like the BLM guy who said, "Y'know, I used to fly rockets as a kid, and I've been wanting to get back into it." :D

So we'll see who in my area is on the NAR members list.

Cheers,

--Jay

DeanHFox
06-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Wow! There's someone here who would actually have heard of my original hometown before I moved here. I'm a former Leipsic Viking. :D

Yup! When I was a young boy, listening to WIMA radio for school closings on those snowy winter days, I loved the "odd-sounding" names of the towns around us... "Delphos...Ottawa...Miller City/New Cleveland...Celina...Leipsic...Van Wert, public and parochial..."

And there was always that heart-stopping moment when I WANTED to hear "EEEE-lida", but the announcer said (with trememdous empahsis on that first syllable), "KAH-lida". Those Kalida kids got off school a heckuva lot more often than WE did...which is, why I think, the DJ's used to really STRESS which "-lida" was out of school that day...

Damn. :)

It was a great place to grow up in the 60's. Elida was just up Route 501 from Wapakoneta...and knowing that a guy who called Wapak "home" was gonna be the first man on the moon...well, I was cemented into space flight and aeronautics forever. Every time I launched my Alpha, X-Ray, Constellation, Gyroc, Star Blazer...I was going along with Neil on a ride. Now, if only I'd been able to scrape together the $10, I could have bought, built, and launched a Saturn and not needed quite so much imagination to "believe" my Constellation "looked" like a Sat V. Unfortunately, I could never find enough bottles beside the road to get enough nickels to add up to the money needed to buy that beautiful kit in the "pricey" section of the Estes catalog. :D

JSP
06-10-2006, 05:12 PM
I was of the same mindset a few years ago when I started looking at re-joining the NAR. It DOES look like everyone has gone "high power crazy" and that the "small stuff" was totally ignored. I'm much more interested in low and mid power because 1. I do a rocket unit at my elementary school and we only use low power, 2. cost, and 3. I just like black powder (the smell, the smoke, the natural orange flame, etc). I went ahead and joined for the insurance, but I didn't get in contact with my local NAR section for about three years. I just figured everyone would just be doing high power and I wouldn't fit in. That was a mistake. As it turns out the majority of the guys in the club do low and mid power. Also, I began to notice that even though there are a lot of high power articles in the magazine, most of the really practicle stuff is geared toward low and mid power (plans, how-to's, etc) Yeah, there are still a ton of high power pictures in there (let's face it. they're pretty impressive) but there is other stuff too. I can't tell you what to do, but in my case going ahead and joining and then getting in touch with my local section was a great move...

JSP
06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Oops, make that "practical." Stupid happy fingers...

Tau Zero
06-10-2006, 07:26 PM
most of the really practicle stuff...

Oops, make that "practical." Stupid happy fingers...*I* thought you were writing about "particles," myself. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
06-22-2006, 08:51 PM
"Upon receipt of this application at NAR HQ, it will be processed immediately and you can expect to receive your membership license within two weeks." :rolleyes: (tapping foot impatiently) Still waiting after 2 weeks and 2 days. Maybe tomorrow. :(

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2006, 09:09 PM
:rolleyes: (tapping foot impatiently) Still waiting after 2 weeks and 2 days. Maybe tomorrow. :(

Cheers,

--Jay

You sound like Sam waiting on his new skateboard. Today he hates DHL. A few weeks ago it was FedEx. :rolleyes:

JSP
06-22-2006, 10:24 PM
It says you can "expect" it, noy that it will actually BE there...

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2006, 10:51 PM
It says you can "expect" it, noy that it will actually BE there...

Truth in advertising. ;)

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 06:06 PM
It says you can "expect" it, (not) that it will actually BE there...Truth in advertising. ;)Good point, both of you.

But today the mailman pulled up at my house just as I was going back to work after lunch. I asked my wife to check and see if there was anything from the NAR. She said there *was.* :D

So right now I'm reminded of that scene in "The Jerk" where Steve Martin's character yells, "I'm in the phone book! *I'M SOMEBODY!*" :rolleyes: :D ;)

Or if you prefer, "NAR 86131."

Cheers,

--Jay

JSP
06-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Cool!
Unless someone starts shooting oil cans around you....
"They hate these oil cans!"

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Good point, both of you.

But today the mailman pulled up at my house just as I was going back to work after lunch. I asked my wife to check and see if there was anything from the NAR. She said there *was.* :D

So right now I'm reminded of that scene in "The Jerk" where Steve Martin's character yells, "I'm in the phone book! *I'M SOMEBODY!*" :rolleyes: :D ;)

Cheers,

--Jay

A-hem. I think this belongs in THIS thread:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=404&highlight=phone+book%27s

So, I'm 79563 and I joined in June of 2001. That's almost 7000 new members in five years. Is that a pretty good growth rate or is my math gene going spastic again?

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-23-2006, 08:11 PM

I think the proper response here is (John Ratzenberger voice mode on):
WAY TO GO, IDAHO! :rolleyes: :D

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 09:39 PM
I think the proper response here is (John Ratzenberger voice mode on):
WAY TO GO, IDAHO! :rolleyes: :D :D ("That's all I have to say about that.")

Thanks!

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Dean Fox
NAR #53946SRHey Dean,

What's with the "SR?" Doesn't that just mean your "Sport Rocketry" subscription is paid up? I noticed it's about half an inch away from my NAR number... so, I'm just wondering.

Thanks, and cheers,

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Or if you prefer, "NAR 86131."Darn. It just doesn't have enough syllables to sing to the tune of "867-5309." :mad: (Sorry, I mean, "Ni-Ee-Ni-I-Ine.") :eek: :rolleyes: :o

Cheers,

JSP
06-23-2006, 11:34 PM
"SR" mean "Senior Member"...

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 11:46 PM
"SR" mean "Senior Member"...J. Stuart,

:o Of *course.* :rolleyes:

Thanks!

DeanHFox
06-24-2006, 10:58 AM
I see J. Stuart beat me to the response, but I thought you'd enjoy this, Jay:

Of all the hobbies/groups/etc. that I've participated with in my life, the first time I ever had "Senior" status was with the NAR...so when I first starting appending my NAR # to my sig line (many, many moons ago, back on CompuServe, for goodness sake!), I proudly included the "SR" suffix.

NOW, of course, it just makes me feel old. :D :eek:

JRThro
06-27-2006, 11:11 AM
A-hem. I think this belongs in THIS thread:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=404&highlight=phone+book%27s

So, I'm 79563 and I joined in June of 2001. That's almost 7000 new members in five years. Is that a pretty good growth rate or is my math gene going spastic again?
I joined in March of 2005 (if the fact that my membership expires in February means I joined in March) and I'm #84553. That's 1578 new members in 15 months, or about 105 per month, very consistent with the rate of new memberships during the 5 years between Bill and Jay, which is about 109 per month.