PDA

View Full Version : Some new Estes kits

Initiator001
03-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I just received several of the new Estes kits from Hobbylink.

The MIRV has several molded foam components.

The EPM-010 (What's that name mean?) has quite a few BT-5 plastic nose cones.

These are now added to my list of kits to build (Sometime :rolleyes: ).

Still waitng for my Maxi-Alpha III and Vagabond kits to arrive (They are on backorder :( ).

BoosterDude
03-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Got both of these as well, the MIRV looks wild. I was impressed at the quality of the foam parts.

Pem Tech
03-26-2011, 08:38 PM
I just received several of the new Estes kits from Hobbylink.

The MIRV has several molded foam components.

These are now added to my list of kits to build (Sometime :rolleyes: ).

Still waitng for my Maxi-Alpha III and Vagabond kits to arrive (They are on backorder :( ).

I'm pleased to see that Estes is injecting a little more style into their kits.

stefanj
03-27-2011, 12:10 AM
EPM is the equivalent of SPEV. Something like "Excess Parts Mover."

johnnwwa
03-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Speaking of new Estes kits you might want to check out www. hobbylinc.com

I might add that these kits are not out yet.

Level 1 Mosquito, Trans Wing, Venus Probe, Sizzler (Talon), Pigasus, Firebird, Venom, Exo-Skell, Thunder Hawk, Thunder Bird

Level 2 Trade Federation Battlestar, Black Brant II, Rampage, Star Wars R2D2, Long Shot, Mercury Redstone, Menace, X-Prize Thunderstar, Marauder

Level 3 Lancer, Daedlus, Star Wars Tie Fighter, Thunder Roc

Level 4 Orbital Transport, Star Wars X-Wing Fighter

Level 5 Super Nova Payloader, Honest John, PS-5560 Payload Kit, SR-71

Note: Bolded ones are on my must have list :D

John

gpoehlein
03-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Are you sure some of those aren't just Estes OOP kits that the dealer had some new-old stock of, and, once sold out, he just hasn't bothered to take down the links? I find it difficult to believe that Estes is bringing back all those Star Wars kits with no real reason (such as a new movie release) to promote them. Likewise the Thunderstar - X Prize is old news and they dumped the whole line except for the Spaceship One. A lot of those others (Transwing, Orbital Transport, SR-71, Mercury Redstone and Exo-Skell are, in some cases, only recently discontinued. And some were announced, such as the Thunder Bird, Hawk and Roc, and the Daedelus were announced but never released.

The only new models I know of for sure on that list are Mosquito (As part of the Mega Mosquito set) and Mini Honest John. Sorry to get your hopes up, but I wouldn't count on most of those models being released (I could be wrong on any of those, so don't hold me to any of this - I an NOT privy to any inside info from Estes - just using logic, knowledge of what kits were available at one time or another and official announcements.)

Greg

Bill
03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
A lot of those others (Transwing, Orbital Transport, SR-71, Mercury Redstone and Exo-Skell are, in some cases, only recently discontinued.

I am not Estes and I do not play them on TV, but it would be a golden idea to release a 50th anniversary Mercury Redstone this year...

Bill

Bill
03-27-2011, 10:02 AM

I saw one of those in a LHS and did not have lots of time to study the kit in the bag, but it struck me as a stepbrother to the Mars Snooper.

Bill

RocketBoy 32
04-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I got two of the new Super Alpha kits when they first came out and they both had nice balsa nosecones. I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and of course I was checking out the rockets when I noticed a Super Alpha kit on the shelf with a PNC-60AH like the Red Max nosecone but molded in white ala Screamin Mimi. Has anyone else seen this? I hope Estes doesn't go back to plastic on all of the kits but it would be nice to see a nose/tailcone set for the Satellite Interceptor like the original. I know the molds are still around for that because Estes has the same nose/tailcone combo available in the Tandem-X starter set for the Crossfire ISX rocket.

Initiator001
04-11-2011, 12:52 AM
I got two of the new Super Alpha kits when they first came out and they both had nice balsa nosecones. I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and of course I was checking out the rockets when I noticed a Super Alpha kit on the shelf with a PNC-60AH like the Red Max nosecone but molded in white ala Screamin Mimi. Has anyone else seen this? I hope Estes doesn't go back to plastic on all of the kits but it would be nice to see a nose/tailcone set for the Satellite Interceptor like the original. I know the molds are still around for that because Estes has the same nose/tailcone combo available in the Tandem-X starter set for the Crossfire ISX rocket.

Yes.

I saw the plastic PNC-60AH nose cone in a Super Alpha kit I was looking at this past Saturday. :(

dyaugo
04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Speaking of new Estes kits you might want to check out www. hobbylinc.com

I might add that these kits are not out yet.

Level 1 Mosquito, Trans Wing, Venus Probe, Sizzler (Talon), Pigasus, Firebird, Venom, Exo-Skell, Thunder Hawk, Thunder Bird

Level 2 Trade Federation Battlestar, Black Brant II, Rampage, Star Wars R2D2, Long Shot, Mercury Redstone, Menace, X-Prize Thunderstar, Marauder

Level 3 Lancer, Daedlus, Star Wars Tie Fighter, Thunder Roc

Level 4 Orbital Transport, Star Wars X-Wing Fighter

Level 5 Super Nova Payloader, Honest John, PS-5560 Payload Kit, SR-71

Note: Bolded ones are on my must have list :D

John

I agree Hobbylinc is a good place to buy a lot of kits and supplies...they have some decent prices.

JumpJet
04-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I was just wondering if you have built and flown the MIRV yet.

John Boren

harsas
04-16-2011, 10:15 PM
I was just wondering if you have built and flown the MIRV yet.

John Boren

A friend of mine flew his MIRV at our last launch. Quite excellent, although it apparently took some doing to get there. Seems the first two flights were not completely stable until he added enough additional nose weight.

JumpJet
04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
The three upper stages do a kind of barrel roll on the way up. If this is what was seen this is normal. If it was something else then this is something new I haven't seen before.

John Boren

harsas
04-17-2011, 09:01 PM
The three upper stages do a kind of barrel roll on the way up. If this is what was seen this is normal. If it was something else then this is something new I haven't seen before.

John Boren

Ok, so here is the long story. I have been planning to purchase this kit, as it is something I am very interested in. With the current financial situation, that is a very big statement. Anyway, my friend showed up at the launch with his. I had not seen it fly, so I asked him to fly it. Even provided the small motors. He agreed, but said he had issues the first two flights. From what he was saying, the rocket was slightly wobbly when boosted on a B6, and on the C6, basically laid flat just as the uppers lit. He added some extra weight, and I saw it boosted on a C6. Worked great. The uppers did sort of turn as they boosted, but I would not quite call it a barrel roll. Maybe half a roll.

Anyway, a very nice design. I have been intrigued with the concept ever since I saw the Seattle Rocket Works MIRV some years ago. Unfortunately, I never did manage to acquire one of those. This version has a much nicer look, IMO.

JumpJet
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I was just wonderin if the booster motors were Estes or Quest motors?

John Boren

harsas
04-17-2011, 09:45 PM
I was just wonderin if the booster motors were Estes or Quest motors?

John Boren

This guy is a dyed in the wool Estes flyer. While I cannot offer a definitive statement, I would be hard pressed to believe they were anything but Estes. I know the flight I saw was all Estes, and I have never seen him fly a Quest motor that I can remember.

JumpJet
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, now we have a mystery on our hands since I've never seen that model fly the way you have described it.

John Boren

harsas
04-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Well, now we have a mystery on our hands since I've never seen that model fly the way you have described it.

John Boren

Don't let it make you crazy. There could be many reasons, and if the issue is a one-off, then there is nothing to worry about. Anyway, as soon as I can find this kit locally for a good price I will buy it. If there are any similar issues, I will let customer service know. I am a firm believer in giving feedback. It is the only way things improve.

Donaldsrockets
04-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Harold

I just bought the MIRV at Paradise Hobbies for $20.99 a few days ago. I plan to start building it very soon. I'm also glad to read this info about possible nose weight beforehand as I would add it to the NC halves before gluing them together.

Also, how well does the launch rod dowel hold up to the tumble recovery of the booster stage- seems pretty rigid but might snap off over time.

Certainly one of Estes' most intriguing designs in years. ;)

harsas
04-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Harold

I just bought the MIRV at Paradise Hobbies for $20.99 a few days ago. I plan to start building it very soon. I'm also glad to read this info about possible nose weight beforehand as I would add it to the NC halves before gluing them together.

Also, how well does the launch rod dowel hold up to the tumble recovery of the booster stage- seems pretty rigid but might snap off over time.

Certainly one of Estes' most intriguing designs in years. ;)

Hey Don,

I cannot speak to the issue with holding up to multiple flights, as I only saw the one. The booster tumbled like any booster normally would. We can ask Mike about that.

However, the recovery of the sustainers was a little iffy, IMO. Two worked as designed, but one came in ballistic, even with the cone seperated. This may be due to the added weight. When I build one of these, I intend to put a small streamer in the sustainers. Not anything large, intended to slow them down, but something small to catch some air and help keep them from turning nose down.

JumpJet
04-18-2011, 09:47 AM
During all of our test flights we have Never had the wood dowel break. Not saying it cant happen but we haven't seen it happen so far.

John Boren

JumpJet
04-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Harold,

Any chance of you posting an image of your friends MIRV?

John Boren

Doug Sams
04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Any chance of you posting an image of your friends MIRV?Yes, please do. I'm anxious to get a better understanding of this thing. For example, I want to see the "launch rod dowel" mentioned herein. I'm curious how/why it's needed.

Also, I know the MIRV uses a single booster motor, but does it use one or three sustainer A10-3T motors? Is it just one sustainer motor whose ejection event separates the sustainer into three sections?

Doug

Shreadvector
04-18-2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.estesrockets.com/new/002134-mirvtm (http://www.estesrockets.com/new/002134-mirvtm)

http://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002134_MIRV.pdf (http://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002134_MIRV.pdf)

I did not get the instructions....

Yes, please do. I'm anxious to get a better understanding of this thing. For example, I want to see the "launch rod dowel" mentioned herein. I'm curious how/why it's needed.

Also, I know the MIRV uses a single booster motor, but does it use one or three sustainer A10-3T motors? Is it just one sustainer motor whose ejection event separates the sustainer into three sections?

Doug

Doug Sams
04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.estesrockets.com/new/002134-mirvtm (http://www.estesrockets.com/new/002134-mirvtm)

http://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002134_MIRV.pdf (http://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/002134_MIRV.pdf)

I did not get the instructions....I thought to look on the web page, and at the reviews, but it still wasn't clear (hence my post). However, I didn't think to look at the instructions. That said, your pdf link didn't work - not sure why. And, when I looked in the instructions archive, it wasn't there. So I'm still curious :)

Doug

Shreadvector
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I thought to look on the web page, and at the reviews, but it still wasn't clear (hence my post). However, I didn't think to look at the instructions. That said, your pdf link didn't work - not sure why. And, when I looked in the instructions archive, it wasn't there. So I'm still curious :)

Doug

First link says:
Enter the world of Multiple Re-Entry Vehicles with the Estes MIRV. The angular design of the model allows three independently powered rockets to separate from the booster which then climb to out of site flights. This model includes light weight foam, specially molded plastic parts and laser cut balsa fins. Recovery of the three upper stages is by “High Drag Recovery” which allows them to float gently back to Earth.

Second link did not work as I indicated when I said I did not get the instructions.

"Out of Site" would violate the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code since we want to launch and recover our Model Rockets on the approved site, not off the site or outside of the site. At least it did not commit an atrocity against any cloud squirrels.....:rolleyes: :chuckle:

Doug Sams
04-18-2011, 01:13 PM
First link says:
Enter the world of Multiple Re-Entry Vehicles with the Estes MIRV. The angular design of the model allows three independently powered rockets to separate from the booster which then climb to out of site flights. I saw that. Upon re-reading it, it does sound like 3 sustainer motors, but on my first read, it struck me as hyperbole. Furthermore, they don't show a "x3" down the page in the motor specs: "Second Stage - A10-3T only". So there was legitimate cause to question the details, IMO :)

Doug

JumpJet
04-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I agree that the discription on the motors needed for this product is lacking. This model uses 1 booster motor and 3 A10-3T motors for the three seperate upper stages. I have attached the baffle staging system that allows the single booster motor to ignite the three upper stage motors.

John Boren

Shreadvector
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
So, we have no excuse to be baffled anymore? :chuckle:

I agree that the discription on the motors needed for this product is lacking. This model uses 1 booster motor and 3 A10-3T motors for the three seperate upper stages. I have attached the baffle staging system that allows the single booster motor to ignite the three upper stage motors.

John Boren

harsas
04-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Harold,

Any chance of you posting an image of your friends MIRV?

John Boren

Unfortunately, I did not get any photos. I will not see him again for a couple of weeks.

harsas
04-18-2011, 09:52 PM

John Boren

That baffle is what I needed to see. It is a cool idea. It works really well.

blackshire
04-18-2011, 10:53 PM

John BorenInteresting...a home-brewed staging baffle like that could be used "in reverse" (as long as the overpressure was vented) for two-stage models with clustered boosters, such as scale models of the Australian HAT (High Altitude Temperature, see: http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_lau/hat.htm ) and Long Tom (see: http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_lau/long_tom.htm ) sounding rockets.

jharding58
04-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I am not Estes and I do not play them on TV, but it would be a golden idea to release a 50th anniversary Mercury Redstone this year...

Bill

Not gonna happen.

mrhemi1971
04-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Anybody have pictures of a build of this kit? Will that 1 to 3 baffle be available as a separate part (Begging.......PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!)

JumpJet
04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Just to illustrate how extreme you can duct the gases and particulates from the booster engine to an upper stage engine I did a test firing several years ago of your typical Aerobe style stage support structure. I used K&S brand aluminum pipes to direct all those little tide bits up to the upper stage motor. I used complex molded plastic parts to get the gases into and out of the aluminum tubes but the one and only one firing of this setup worked perfectly. I didn’t go any further with this design since I would still need to eject some type of recovery system for the booster and other more important things came up to work on at the time. The Red Arrows point to the parts made from the aluminum tubes.

mrhemi1971,
The only way to get one of those baffles is to purchase a kit or the next time your in Colorado, drop by my house. I'm pretty sure I have one laying around someplace.

John Boren

mrhemi1971
04-23-2011, 11:51 AM
mrhemi1971,
The only way to get one of those baffles is to purchase a kit or the next time your in Colorado, drop by my house. I'm pretty sure I have one laying around someplace.

John Boren

I just may have to take you up on that one!!

Keep sending those drawings out , I'm a CAD designer myself, and I'd be glad to help out if I can in any way..

Donaldsrockets
04-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Hi Jumpjet

I got a question about the MIRV

Is any part of the side fin supposed to contact the BT. According to the instructions you align the bottom of the fin with the line drawn 1/8 inch away from the foam part.

But with this configuration, the aft parts do not fit snugly together at the bottom. Is it supposed to be this way or did I mess up somewhere???

JumpJet
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't have a set of instructions in front of me at the moment. I attached a drawing based on memory on what I believe you are talking about. It may not be a perfect representation of the model. Only the corner of the fin would touch the body tube. Since the fin gets bonded to the foam over a very large area there is very little stress in this area to worry about. I would apply a small glue fillet at the point were the corner of the fin touches the body tube but that's about it. Now if your fin doesn't come any where near the BT-5 body tube you may have made a small mistake. The only thing this would effect are that your fins won't all be sticking out the same distance when the three pieces are joined together ready for flight.

John Boren