PDA

View Full Version : Model Rocketeer Magazine

Jeff
03-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know if an effort has been made to scan and archive old issues of Model Rocketeer Magazine to DVD?

CaninoBD
03-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Does anyone know if an effort has been made to scan and archive old issues of Model Rocketeer Magazine to DVD?

You can down load them from http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/ModelRocketry.html

Jeff
03-26-2011, 09:24 PM
You can down load them from http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/ModelRocketry.html

Thanks for the reply, but that link is to a scanned partial collection of "Model Rocketry" magazine (I've got those already). What I'm interested in is a scanned back issue archive of "Model Rocketeer" magazine.

shockwaveriderz
03-27-2011, 01:14 PM
I once had a scanned archive of the 1970's Model Rocketeers from Feb 1972 to Dec 1979, but a number of disk head crashes put an end to that collection.

Terry Dean

Jeff
03-27-2011, 02:15 PM
I once had a scanned archive of the 1970's Model Rocketeers from Feb 1972 to Dec 1979, but a number of disk head crashes put an end to that collection.

Terry Dean

Thanks for the reply. I'm very sorry to learn of your drive crash & loss of data.

It would be nice if a DVD was compiled (or a website page put up) that contained an archive of maybe both "Model Rocketeer" and "Model Rocketry" back issues. Do you know anyone who would be interested in taking the lead on a project like this? My work keeps me on the road too much, so I wouldn't be able to take lead; however, I have 3 issues of "Model Rocketeer" that I'm willing to donate and mail to the individual doing the compiling / uploading. Additionally, I'm willing to make a reasonable cash donation by PayPal to aid in supporting the effort (PayPal donations could be solicited over the website - not for profit, just to pay for return postage of magazines sent in for archiving and for website upkeep or limited DVD production). It would be nice if the NAR took the lead, but most likely their volunteer staff is already stretched too thin. What do you think? Please advise. Thanks.

Jeff Estes
NAR 15301, HPR L2
MC2 / HARA / COSROCS / SCORE

shockwaveriderz
03-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Jeff, perhaps you should contact the NAR Historian, Art Nestor....? He was compiling a digital archive of NAR stuff that was to be placed on a website at some time. The entire "Model Rocketry" magazine collection is online over at Sven's fine website.

I don't know if the NARTS(?) has available all the back issues of Model Rocketeer. I borrowed somebodies collection paying postage both ways and then taking several months to copy each issue. It can be quite a job. I hesitate to contact and ask this person to allow me to do it all over again. But if nobody else steps forward I will inquire of this person again.

If there's anybody out there that has a complete collection of Model Rocketeer from Feb 1972 up to when it became American Spacemodeling I would be willing to pay postage back and forth....and spend the next several moths scanning it into .pdf.... At that point I would then submit that to the NAR Historian and then it would be up to the NAR how they want to publish it or make it available to members and non-members. They own the copyright on this material and I know they do sell some of the issues in question.

Terry Dean

Jeff
03-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Jeff, perhaps you should contact the NAR Historian, Art Nestor....? He was compiling a digital archive of NAR stuff that was to be placed on a website at some time. The entire "Model Rocketry" magazine collection is online over at Sven's fine website.

I don't know if the NARTS(?) has available all the back issues of Model Rocketeer. I borrowed somebodies collection paying postage both ways and then taking several months to copy each issue. It can be quite a job. I hesitate to contact and ask this person to allow me to do it all over again. But if nobody else steps forward I will inquire of this person again.

If there's anybody out there that has a complete collection of Model Rocketeer from Feb 1972 up to when it became American Spacemodeling I would be willing to pay postage back and forth....and spend the next several moths scanning it into .pdf.... At that point I would then submit that to the NAR Historian and then it would be up to the NAR how they want to publish it or make it available to members and non-members. They own the copyright on this material and I know they do sell some of the issues in question.

Terry Dean

Terry,
Thanks for being willing to take the lead, if no one else volunteers. As I stated before, I'm willing to contribute to offset your monetary expenses (or those of whoever steps forward). In the end, I just would like to be able to obtain a copy of the final product for my personal use and archive.

I checked the NAR website recently and confirmed that NARTS does not currently have a scanned PDF complete collection of "Model Rocketeer" and "Model Rocketry" for sale or download; however, we don't want to reinvent the wheel here. I've not had any contact with the NAR historian. If you have, and don't mind, would you please contact Art Nestor and ask him for his input. He may already have scans of the complete back issues, with plans to post or sell over NARTS. Let's continue dialog on this.

Thanks again,
Jeff Estes

John Brohm
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Terry,
... I've not had any contact with the NAR historian. If you have, and don't mind, would you please contact Art Nestor and ask him for his input. He may already have scans of the complete back issues, with plans to post or sell over NARTS. Let's continue dialog on this.

Thanks again,
Jeff Estes

I believe that Art has resigned from the post as of last year. I don't know if it has since been filled.

Cohetero-negro
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
I believe that Art has resigned from the post as of last year. I don't know if it has since been filled.

John,

NAR is looking for volunteers to spend all the $$$ they have in the bank!

Or perhaps, one could take the scans fron ninfinger and create a CD right now?

Jonathan

Ez2cDave
08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Terry,

Send me an E-Mail . . .

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Dave Fitch

shockwaveriderz
08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
The NAR NARTS have from what I understand pdf copies of the 70's Model Rocketeer's. They just haven't placed them on sale on a DVD just yet.

After I lost my 72-79 collection, which were scanned from Vern Estes's real collection, I had considered doing it again for my own personal collection, but it's hard to say no to fellow rocketeers who want copies, but the NAR does own the copyright to these issues.

SO my suggestion is, if you would like to re-read these old issues, maybe contact the NARTS head and see when and if a DVD might become available.

I was laso then going to scan all the American Spacemodleling issues, maybe NARTS should put those on DVD too?

AT one time back in the late 80's I had a complete paper collection of MrM, MR and AS, and I had them stored in the basement of a friend, and they well, disapperaed except for the MRm, which I sold in the late 80's .

Terry Dean

Jeff
08-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Terry,
Thanks for the follow-up reply. I too was informed recently that Model Rocketeer back issues would soon be available on DVD through NARTS. I'm looking forward to placing my order for the DVD(s). :)
Best regards,
Jeff Estes

carbons4
08-04-2011, 12:01 PM
I know I would be interested in buying a DVD/CD whatever of ALL the old newsletters. What would be almost as interesting is a complete collection of the NOVAR free press.

Bluegrass Rocket
08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
I had a conversation with Brad Cline at NARAM (Brad is running NARTS) about back issues of NAR magazines, and I believe they are working on scanning every back issue for a CD as we speak. Hope this helps.

Ez2cDave
08-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I had a conversation with Brad Cline at NARAM (Brad is running NARTS) about back issues of NAR magazines, and I believe they are working on scanning every back issue for a CD as we speak. Hope this helps.

Any mention of price ?

After all, 40 years of magazines, 480 issues +/-, at the "old rate" of $3.00 each, makes that potentially VERY expensive, even at $1.00 per issue !

Dave

Bluegrass Rocket
08-05-2011, 11:52 AM
No mention of price or when available.

Ez2cDave
08-10-2011, 07:40 AM
I scanned about 20 years worth of the old magazines for NARTS during the last year and a half. We're finishing up on filling in some single issues that were missing from the collection that was provided to me. I'll be finishing up on those issues in the next few weeks, and then NARTS will have two decades worth of issues to sell on DVD (1970-1980 and 1980-1990).

Brad is still figuring out a price for those and I think he wants to have the first DVD available by mid-September.

I have some commercial quality equipment to do this sort of work, however, it still entails manually photocopying thousands of individual pages from the magazines so that they can be fed through the scanner as single sheets. If anyone has any old issues that can be cut apart then the job would go much quicker. It also entails hundreds of dollars worth of toner cartridges for the copier :)

During what years was the"Model Rocketeer" produced ?

Do you have all of the issues from each year ?

Which years do you have ?

Are any missing and which year/month are they ?

Are there plans to scan all of the "American Spacemodeling" & "Sport Rocketry" issues, also ?

Thanks,

Dave

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I scanned about 20 years worth of the old magazines for NARTS during the last year and a half. We're finishing up on filling in some single issues that were missing from the collection that was provided to me. I'll be finishing up on those issues in the next few weeks, and then NARTS will have two decades worth of issues to sell on DVD (1970-1980 and 1980-1990).

Brad is still figuring out a price for those and I think he wants to have the first DVD available by mid-September.

I have some commercial quality equipment to do this sort of work, however, it still entails manually photocopying thousands of individual pages from the magazines so that they can be fed through the scanner as single sheets. If anyone has any old issues that can be cut apart then the job would go much quicker. It also entails hundreds of dollars worth of toner cartridges for the copier :)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

mwtoelle
08-10-2011, 06:42 PM
The last issue of American Spacemodelling is dated August 1993. The first Sport Rocketry is dated October 1993.

Bill
08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure of the exact cutoff dates, but I scanned the Model Rocketeer mags which went from at least Feb '72 (the first date I received) until June 1984. I'll be getting the 1970 and 1971 magazines next week. From there it became American Spacemodeling which went to at least Dec 1988. I will be receiving the rest of the 90's (1989) and will know at that time if it still was the MR.

I thought the Model Rocketeer was included in Model Rocketry Magazine until it ceased publication.

Bill

Royatl
08-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I thought the Model Rocketeer was included in Model Rocketry Magazine until it ceased publication.

Bill

The Model Rocketeer was a separate publication from the inception of the NAR until sometime in the mid 60's when it began running as a column in American Aircraft Modeler magazine (and maybe in another airplane magazine before that??). It was moved to Model Rocketry Magazine in the August 69 issue and stayed there for two years until shortly before it ceased publication.

Bill
08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
It was moved to Model Rocketry Magazine in the August 69 issue and stayed there for two years until shortly before it ceased publication.

How shortly?

Bill

Earl
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
How shortly?

Bill

I think around February of 1972 or pretty close. The NAR voted to go separate from Model Rocketry magazine sometime I think in late '71 or very early '72.

Not too very long at all after the two were separated, Model Rocketry magazine folded.

Royatl
08-10-2011, 11:21 PM
How shortly?

Bill

They announced it in the November 71 issue.

The last one in Model Rocketry Magazine was in December 71.

The last issue of Model Rocketry Magazine was January/February 72.

Apparently the bottom really fell out of the hobby in 1971, even though NARAM 13 was huge. Estes had pulled their ads after the September 71 issue, and Centuri's last ad was in December (though it was still full page, they hadn't put much effort in it since summer), So MRM was really hurtin' and looking to the NAR as a last hope, but NAR had dropped in membership from 5600 to 4900 and was looking to save money since their budget had been based on a projection of 6500 members.