PDA

View Full Version : Estes 'Aloha'

SEL
04-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Years ago I worked part time at a hobby shop (more for the discount than the money).
While looking over the packing list of the latest shipment, checking to see what we receievd from Estes I saw a kit name that I didn't recognize, the 'Aloha'. Naturally I started pawing through every box in the backroom looking for this new kit, without any luck. I checked the list again, to make sure I had the name right, and sure enough, there in black and white was
Kit# 1225 'Aloha'. "Hmmm, #1225 looks familiar - can't be a new # - what's going on here?"
I started looking through the kits again, checking the #'s this time. More than a little sheepishly I realized what had happened. The packing list was printed on a pinwriter, and the 'O' was actually 'P', the printer had just dropped the bottom half. My co-workers had a good time with that for a few weeks. We commemerated the event by building an 'Alpha', dubbing it 'Aloha', and sticking a Aerotech D21 in it and ripping the fins off it 50' above the launch pad. Below are the remains... :o

Sean

Ltvscout
04-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Hahaha!!! I love it!

Phred
04-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Cool!!

One of the members of my local NAR Chapter (ASTRE #471 http://www.astre471.org/) launched a stock Alpha last summer three times on one day with a D21 before he finally lost it! It was like actually getting a Mosquito back for two more flights!!

Phred

stefanj
04-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Build an Aloha!

I figure it would have one of those conical skirt stabilizers. Maybe a Astron Spaceman head. Lei recovery.

SEL
04-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Build an Aloha!

I figure it would have one of those conical skirt stabilizers. Maybe a Astron Spaceman head. Lei recovery.

Y'know, while I was looking for the 'Aloha' I was wondering what in the world Estes was thinking. Was it an altitude model ("Launch it and wave Aloha!")? Was Hawaii's statehood aniversary coming up? Would it have a Queen Liliuokalani surrounded by pineapples decal?
'Course, this was back when Estes had kit names like 'Jammin' , so nothing would have surprised me.

Sean

CPMcGraw
04-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Years ago I worked part time at a hobby shop (more for the discount than the money).
While looking over the packing list of the lates shipment, checking to see what we receievd fron Estes I saw a kit name that I didn't recognize, the 'Aloha'. Naturally I started pawing through every box in the backroom looking for this new kit, without any luck. I checked the list again, to make sure I had the name right, and sure enough, there in black and white was
Kit# 1225 'Aloha'. "Hmmm, #1225 looks familiar - can't be a new # - what's going on here?"
I started looking through the kits again, checking the #'s this time. More than a little sheepishly I realized what had happened. The packing list was printed on a pinwriter, and the 'O' was actually 'P', the printer had just dropped the bottom half. My co-workers had a good time with that for a few weeks. We commemerated the event by building an 'Alpha', dubbing it 'Aloha', and sticking a Aerotech D21 in it and ripping the fins off it 50' above the launch pad. Below are the remains... :o

Sean

Just in case you want to 'really' have some fun, try using this attached decal pattern for your next attempt...

Craig McGraw

CPMcGraw
04-11-2005, 10:46 PM
OK, let's try that again... :(

The forum doesn't like tiff files... :eek:

Craig McGraw

Ltvscout
04-12-2005, 08:58 AM
The forum doesn't like tiff files... :eek:
That should be fixed now. Although the largest size file that can be uploaded is 500k.