PDA

View Full Version : Yuri's Night

MarkB.
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Well guys,

Tonight's the night. 50 years ago tonight Yuri Gagarin flew single orbit and forever changed the planet.

While I won't get to launch it tomorrow ('cause I gotta go to work), as a celebration I'd love to see anybody and everybody's R-7, (Sputnik, Luna, Vostok, Voskhod, Molniya, Soyuz, Progress or Fregat, whatever).

Or post your Mercury-Redstone.

Attached is my 1/64th R-7 Vostok -- big thanks to Pete Alway, Gordon (Sandman) and everybody who chimed in on my build thread.

Locknload
04-11-2011, 07:19 PM
no Soyuz but I dusted off my Estes MR model. :)

some interesting photos of Yuri:
http://www.space.com/11346-photos-yuri-gagarin-vostok1-human-spaceflight.html

sandman
04-11-2011, 08:41 PM
We are having a Yuri's Night part tomorrow.

I'll be up late trying to finish my Vostok.

tbzep
04-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Google has a nice salute to Gagarin today.

Daddyisabar
04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
If the Fire Bans are lifted and the Law will let us fly, I plan to launch my Sheri’s Hot Rockets Redstone and the Das Model – Norris Vostok. Hopefully this being the 4th flight of the SHR Redstone and the 6th flight of the Norris Vostok I will not have to hear all the banter of how crappy and over priced these kits are. They have always flown straight in the past so I hope these tried and true veterans will not let me down. All I could do then would be to lament the current US space program and try to relive past glory, but then have to admit the old pragmatic R-7 is still the only booster carrying us into space. Giving due credit to that old Soviet design is truly a hard pill for this Yankee to swallow. I guess it is all time we raise our shot glass of tater water and salute the triumph of the Soviet People.