PDA

View Full Version : spring cloning cleanout

Phred
04-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Guys,

Well, it is finally time for me to finish up all of those cloning projects I have had sitting around for some time... I know that If do not finish these now, and I start building some new rockets, they will never be done!!

I just applied the Allis Chalmers orange to my Rogue clone. I will decal it tonight.

The Avenger is in it's final primer/sand/primer stages and I just worked out a decal for the roll pattern.

My Drifter needs two more fins painted blue, then decaling.

I am also re-building an old BT-55 V2 clone that landed on my car last time....This was my first BAR clone and it now sports a new NC tip, and a few fins have been fixed. It is in primer now, awaiting final sanding. I believe that I will go with US Operaton Sandy for the color scheme. (Launch from the deck of the carrier Midway)

My SPEV-D has been all gloss white since the fall, and will be getting the black portions painted soon. It sports, D power, seperation at the BT-60/TA 6052 transition, and six fins to make it look more like a Sat 1b.

What else... Oh yeah, my Constellation is all gloss white with a bright red NC. It needs one fin painted black, and decaling.

Not a clone, but my Big Betty in pearlescant yellow and green, will soon be getting a green martian pin-up chick decal.

I will post some pics as soon as I have something worthy to take a pictuer of!!

Phred

Phred
04-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Well, I did a p**s poor job at masking the drifter... I will wait a few days and try to salvage it, otherwise I will ned to re-coat with gloss white and start again... :-(

I printed the decals for the Rogue, drew up a set of checkered pre-damon style decals for my X-ray clone: http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes66/66est20.html

I also printed a custom set of decals for the Big Betty with pin-up betty-martian.

I gave the QUEST Intruder, and my Sandma BT-56 Sptint good coat of gloss white.

It is sunny today, so I hope to get some more painting and some decaling in.

Phred

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi Guys,

Well, it is finally time for me to finish up all of those cloning projects I have had sitting around for some time... I know that If do not finish these now, and I start building some new rockets, they will never be done!!

I just applied the Allis Chalmers orange to my Rogue clone. I will decal it tonight.

Doug's not here yet, so you can just call it orange. ;)

Phred
04-11-2005, 09:54 AM
I was able to get to the decaling yesterday, as well as a fe more base coats on other projects. Here is a pic of the Rogue:

Phred
04-11-2005, 09:58 AM
And the Big Betty: The finsd say 'Take me.... To your leader" her little sign says "Mars or Bust"

Phred
04-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Finally, here is my pre-Damon styled Xray as per the late 1960's catalogs:

Phred
04-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, here is the pic anyway...

ShieldWolf
04-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Nice! Maybe now I'll be inspired to finish a couple of my projects.

Thanks,
Randal

CPMcGraw
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, here is the pic anyway...

Did you create your own version of the roll patterns, or did you have an original pattern to work from? That's a nice looking paint scheme, too. :)

You say this was based on the late 60's catalog pictures. Was yellow / black an 'official' combination for the X-Ray? It's impossible to tell from the catalog pages... :cool:

Beautiful model... :D

Craig McGraw

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I was able to get to the decaling yesterday, as well as a fe more base coats on other projects. Here is a pic of the Rogue:

Nice. I've always been a fan of the Rogue. I had a buddy who had one in 1977, but he insisted on calling it the Rouge.

Tau Zero
04-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Nice. I've always been a fan of the Rogue. I had a buddy who had one in 1977, but he insisted on calling it the Rouge.I've been wondering if he painted it (pause for dramatic effect) RED instead of orange. ;)

Cheers,

--Jay :p

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-12-2005, 12:13 AM
I've been wondering if he painted it (pause for dramatic effect) RED instead of orange. ;)

Cheers,

--Jay :p

As a matter of fact, yes, but the name didn't spring out of sophistication. More like stupidity. (This is a guy that called spaghetti "busketti" from the time I knew him.) :D
He painted it red and black because his family had a garage full of those colors just like the rest of us. (Although pearl pink and army green would have made for some butt-ugly rockets. Good thing I got that deal on Rocket Red.) :cool:

Phred
04-12-2005, 07:50 AM
The inspiration is the 1966 catalog. Page 21 gives the best amount of B/W detail of all of the 1960's catalogs (In other years, this pic is a but fuzzier. at least in my catalogs)

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes66/66est20.html

And the back cover gave me the colors:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes66/66estb.html

I realize that these colors very may well be retouched, but they look good to me!! I also left off the Stars and bars as I believe that it is incongruous with the rest of the design.

Although, as a kid, I decaled the Stars and Bars on everything!!

The roll patterns are my design based on the catalog photos. I also believe that I will add this to the Excelsior line of decals in the near future.

Phred

CPMcGraw
04-12-2005, 09:58 AM
The inspiration is the 1966 catalog. Page 21 gives the best amount of B/W detail of all of the 1960's catalogs (In other years, this pic is a but fuzzier. at least in my catalogs)

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes66/66est20.html

And the back cover gave me the colors:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes66/66estb.html

The roll patterns are my design based on the catalog photos. I also believe that I will add this to the Excelsior line of decals in the near future.

Phred

How could I have possibly forgotten the picture with the purple Cobra??? :eek:

Thanks for the pointers... ;)

Craig...

JRThro
04-14-2005, 07:13 AM
Nice. I've always been a fan of the Rogue. I had a buddy who had one in 1977, but he insisted on calling it the Rouge.

Did he call it that, or just spell it that way?

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-14-2005, 05:16 PM
It's what he called it. I don't think his interest held out long enough for him to have a reason to write it down. (1/2 a launch.)

Ltvscout
04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
It's what he called it. I don't think his interest held out long enough for him to have a reason to write it down. (1/2 a launch.)
Heh, how do you do half a launch? Press the button and walk away? ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Ahh, humor! :p
I consider it half a launch because he only paid attention for half the time the rest of us were there. I think there were seven of us that launched that day. Three of us maintained our interest for the entire time and then some. Two others launched a couple of times, then were itching to leave. The other two, one of whom was my brother, discovered "piggybacking" grasshoppers and after one flight, spent the rest of the day walking around stomping on them.

Tau Zero
04-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Heh, how do you do half a launch? Press the button and walk away? ;)Only if you're halfway paying attention. :D

--Jay

Tau Zero
04-14-2005, 11:34 PM
How could I have possibly forgotten the picture with the purple Cobra??? :eek:Craig,
It looks pink to me, as does the Astron Space Plane. But yeah, that color choice doesn't really seem very... manly.

*Les* Manley, perhaps. :eek:

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Only if you're halfway paying attention. :D

--Jay

Or half-interested.

Tau Zero
04-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Or half-interested.Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

*What* did you say? ;)

CPMcGraw
04-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Craig,
It looks pink to me, as does the Astron Space Plane. But yeah, that color choice doesn't really seem very... manly.

*Les* Manley, perhaps. :eek:

--Jay

Blame it on a limited recognition of colors. :p

Or just a limited colorful vocabulary... :D

Craig...