PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion or input

hawkshobby
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
We are currently in the process of getting ready for NARAM 48 and working on trhe new kits that will be released at NARAM. Currently in the works are the Super Solar Sailor, Super Bandit , Super Goblin and the Mark 305 .

The kits we currently have released are: Super Mars Snooper, Super Trident, Super Cherokee 3D, Super Javelin, Super Sprite & Super Mark.

What we are wanting is your opinions & input of the upscales you would like to see done. The only criteria is early Estes models from the 60's through the 80's.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Loretta

dwmzmm
06-21-2006, 10:49 AM
The Super Goblin...the original Estes Goblin was one of my favorites in my early years in the hobby. Recently got the Squirrels Works Gremlin as a replacement, and did a product review
in the EMRR. Check it out when you get the chance.

JSP
06-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey Loretta!

How about the Pegasus, the A-20 Demon, or the Photon Disrupter?

By the way, did you get the NSL pics I e-mailed you?

Tau Zero
06-21-2006, 11:03 AM
How about... the Photon Disrupter?*Ooh.* That would be cool. :eek:

I'll lobby for a 1.68X BT-60 24mm-powered Wolverine upscale. (Big evil grin) :D

Cheers,

--Jay

JSP
06-21-2006, 01:13 PM
The Wolverine rocks. I never owned one, but taking a second look at it, it seems pretty cool.

ghrocketman
06-21-2006, 01:22 PM
If I had to choose only one that you should offer as a "Super" version, it would be the Orbital Transport in either 24 or 29mm engine size.

Close second place would be Astron SkyDart (boost glider for 24mm instead of original 18mm)

Other good candidates include "Super" versions of the following kits:

Astron Scrambler (based off original K-37 3-engine, clear payload version; could be a good single 29mm E,F, G kit )
Astron Ranger ( based off 3 engine cluster, but could be single 29mm E-F-G kit)
Little Joe II (based off original K-30 18mm version)
Gemini Titan (based off original K-21 2-engine BT-70 version, NOT the 80's single engine load-o'-plastic ZERO-craftsmanship-to-build version)
SUPER Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper
Super Hyperion
Super SS Cassiopeia
Super Star Speeder

DeanHFox
06-21-2006, 04:55 PM
No one even MENTIONED a "Super Interceptor"!

And you guys call yourselves rocketeers. Shame on you. :D :eek:

(by the way...did I mention that I'd love to see a "Super Interceptor")? ;)

James Pierson
06-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Her is my incomplete wish list. :D I am fovoring two little known and seldom clone favorites of mine, the Space Transporter America and the Firecat. If you kit it, I will buy it. ;)

Pegasus #0806
Firecat #0821 ++++++++++++++++
Airborne Surveillance Missile #0867
Andromeda #1273
Alien Invader #1281
U.S.S. Atlantis #1283
Teros #1285 +++++
Satellite Interceptor #1296 +++++
Space Transporter America #1338 ++++++++++++++++
Space Cruiser Excalibur #1339
Starblazer-X20 #1342+++++++
Starfighter Combo #1343 +++++
Dragon Ship 7 #1345
Black Hole Space Probe #1350
F-61 Starfighter #1358
Starship Nova #1371
Nebulon Warrior #1339
Scout Ship Nova #1392
Corsair #1999
Deep Space Transport #2034++++++

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Bruce Temple
06-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Starblazer-X20 #1342 I would like to see as well!

Cheers, Bruce

Tau Zero
06-22-2006, 09:25 PM
No one even MENTIONED a "Super Interceptor"!(puzzled look) What do you mean? *You're* the Designated "Interceptor" Guy! :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :p :cool:

--Jay

sandman
06-22-2006, 10:08 PM
You want a SUPER Interceptor?

I made these last year for two customers.

They fit a BT-80H body tube and are 18" long each.

JSP
06-22-2006, 10:30 PM
I have some pics (on film) that I think is from Narcon about 15 years ago. There's a guy holding an Interceptor that must be at least 5 1/2 feet tall (the rocket, not the guy). I have no memory of who it is or even exactly when it was. I'll see about getting them on digital if anyone wants to see them...

Bruce Temple
06-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I must admit to being swedish, so I'm kind of partial to a blue, white, and yellow rocket fighter that protects the world! Hence my luv for the X-20.

Big Grins, Bruce

hawkshobby
06-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Ok Guys,
Here is what Mark and I have been kicking around on the Interceptor.
A 177% or 215% up-scale with fiberglass nose cone , tail ring and pods...as much detail as possible. We are hoping that molding it in fiberglass will catch the panel & gun port details.
Opinions??? Comments???

Loretta

James Pierson
06-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Interceptor's in my humble opinion have been done to death. I'm swedish too and am favoring something more original like the X-20. Besides we all know that once you put an X in the name it will sell like hot cakes. ;)

Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

hawkshobby
06-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks to all that have responded this is really helping.
Just wanted to give a quick note on how things are going.
I have this thread running on 2 soon to be 3 sites - forums.
I am putting together a list from all sites of the rockets that are being asked for and will post it . The leaders seem to be so far: Bomarc & Interceptor.

A lot of the kits that use nose cones that are not easily produced in balsa we are looking at molding in fiberglass. We are going to start with some simple molds soon in order to get our cost and technique figured out.

Once again Thanks for the opinions and comments and please keep them coming.
Loretta

hawkshobby
06-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Interceptor's in my humble opinion have been done to death. I'm swedish too and am favoring something more original like the X-20. Besides we all know that once you put an X in the name it will sell like hot cakes. ;)

Thanks Again, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

OK Ok It's on the list and moving up.
Settle Down. :D

No Seriously This one was already on Mark's list just haven't set a production date yet.

Loretta

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks to all that have responded this is really helping.
Just wanted to give a quick note on how things are going.
[SNIP]
A lot of the kits that use nose cones that are not easily produced in balsa we are looking at molding in fiberglass.(clearing throat) Pardon me, Miss Loretta, but there's a big giant hairy Wolverine in your mailbox. :eek: :cool:

Mind the teeth. :rolleyes:

On second thought, maybe you'd better send Mark out to get the mail. :eek: :p

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Besides we all know that once you put an X in the name it will sell like hot cakes. ;)(mock disbelief) James, you *don't* mean...

"Interceptor XXX?" :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that.)

I'm going to repent, now... :o

Cheers,

--Jay

hawkshobby
06-23-2006, 01:58 AM
(clearing throat) Pardon me, Miss Loretta, but there's a big giant hairy Wolverine in your mailbox. :eek: :cool:

Mind the teeth. :rolleyes:
Cheers,

--Jay

Jay,
Do we have us a Southern Gentleman here?? :D

Checked the mail .. got mail ... however he wasn't hairy and I didn't mind the teeth. :rolleyes:
Also got a phone call......you really really want the wolverine don't ya. We are ALL working on it now. Happy. ;) ;)

Loretta

Oh ya I have a warped sense of humor if you had not noticed.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Jay,
Do we have us a Southern Gentleman here?? :D

Southern Idaho. ;)

Ltvscout
06-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Southern Idaho. ;)
Spud boy!

Ltvscout
06-23-2006, 08:07 AM
What we are wanting is your opinions & input of the upscales you would like to see done. The only criteria is early Estes models from the 60's through the 80's.
Why, an LTV Scout, of course! :D

ghrocketman
06-23-2006, 08:37 AM
I still say that an upscale Orbital Transport should be at the top of the list....no HARD to produce "oddball-molding required" parts shapes for this one at all !
Just good old fashioned balsa cones, fins, and heavy-duty cardboard tubes.

DeanHFox
06-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Interceptor's in my humble opinion have been done to death. I'm swedish too and am favoring something more original like the X-20. Besides we all know that once you put an X in the name it will sell like hot cakes. ;) Thanks Again, JP

Tsk, tsk. Isn't it sad when a brilliant mind snaps under the pressure?

It's OK, JP --- we all admire your fabulous and original designs --- so we'll forgive your momentary lapse into (obvious) hysteria. :D :D :D

Be careful, though...any more anti-Interceptor slips will cause those saner members here to send in the guys with the white jackets and butterfly nets! :)

Seriously for a sec...I'll agree that I've seen my share of up-scale Interceptors, but what Hawks is offering is a potential KIT, and many of us are somewhat challenged in the realm of "sure, I can scrounge all the parts together and whip up a clone...and an UPSCALE clone, at that!". As one of the most popular designs ever to come out of Penrose, I would love to see someone (Hawks, Q-Modeling, etc.) make available a KIT of the classic K-50.

Of course, I'm also drooling over the possibility of a scaled up OT...and X-20...and SST Shuttle...and original Centuri Shuttle...and Andromeda...I LOVED building the original birds as a child, and again as a young adult...and I'm thinking building BIGGER versions as an older adult...hey, even more fun! :)

I've got to pickup one of Hawk's kits (either a Trident or a Snooper) and see what kind of quality they've got in 'em. I'm kinda spoiled by Q-Modeling...they make some sweet kits. Anything to bring more vendors into the hobby, I'm all for! :)

JSP
06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
I've seen Hawk's kits and the only term I can come up with to describe them is beautiful. They are first rate the whole way! Now if I only had extra money....

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Do we have us a Southern Gentleman here?? :D Southern Idaho. ;)Yeah, what Bill said.

Actually, my wife's best friend and one of my sisters-in-law are from Virginia. That's how I know all about referring to ladies as "Miss," no matter what their age. (My sister-in-law's mom, "Miss Beth," had great-grandchildren, and we still called her that.)

Spud boy!(Humongus grin) "Yeah, baby."

The Tripoli Idaho chapter over in Boise: http://www.tripoliidaho.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=79&Itemid=1 calls their annual May launch "SpudRoc,"

http://www.tripoliidaho.org/gallery2/v/2006/May6-7_SpudRoc-11/ ...which just tickles my farm boy funnybone to no end.

Checked the mail .. got mail ... however he wasn't hairy and I didn't mind the teeth. :rolleyes:
Also got a phone call......*WHAT?!?* --Oh. From the Wolverine. Now I get it. (Maybe.)

you really really want the wolverine don't ya. We are ALL working on it now.

Oh ya I have a warped sense of humor if you had not noticed.Which means you should fit in here at YORF quite nicely.

Thanks again, and cheers,

--Jay

James Pierson
06-23-2006, 07:50 PM
DeanHFox said,

Tsk, tsk. Isn't it sad when a brilliant mind snaps under the pressure?

It's OK, JP --- we all admire your fabulous and original designs --- so we'll forgive your momentary lapse into (obvious) hysteria.

Be careful, though...any more anti-Interceptor slips will cause those saner members here to send in the guys with the white jackets and butterfly nets!

No more slips Dean, and I will agree that the Satellite Interceptor is Very cool, so lets put that on the list too. :D

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

PS. Jay, you potato head, ;) above is the proper was for a NAR member to post his signature. Anything else is just uncivilized. :rolleyes: And stop spanking things or you are going to hurt yourself.

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Jay, you potato head, ;) above is the proper was for a NAR member to post his signature. (Jack Nicholson "crazy" voice) "Well! Are you *happy* now, JP?" (wild-eyed look) :eek:

Anything else is just uncivilized. :rolleyes: (mock misunderstanding) "--And this is out of character for me... *how?*" :rolleyes:

And stop spanking things or you are going to hurt yourself.(Old fogey voice) "Young man... when *I* was a boy, my dad whipped me with a rubber milking hose! And I'm still in therapy over it all these years later! C'mere, Junior! I'll show *you* a spankin'!" :mad:

(That would probably be a lot funnier if half of it wasn't true. :o --The bit about therapy isn't.)

Cheers,

DeanHFox
06-23-2006, 09:52 PM
PS. Jay, you potato head, ;) above is the proper way (sic) for a NAR member to post his signature. Anything else is just uncivilized. :rolleyes: And stop spanking things or you are going to hurt yourself...

You know, there are times of absolute genius expressed by those in this forum. James has just presented us with such a moment.

To celebrate Jay's entrance into the august ranks of the NAR, and to credit James' moment of brilliance, I hereby motion that Jay remove his tired moniker of "CenturiGuy", and accept, officially, the handle of "Mr. Potato Head". :eek: :eek: :eek:

Any seconds? :D

(P.S. Jay --- seriously! --- welcome to the NAR) ;)

Tau Zero
06-23-2006, 10:08 PM
To celebrate Jay's entrance into the august ranks of the NAR, and to credit James' moment of brilliance, I hereby motion that Jay remove his tired moniker of "CenturiGuy", and accept, officially, the handle of "Mr. Potato Head". :eek:

Any seconds? :D(suspicious look) Do you mean -- of *potatoes?* :confused:

(Which reminds me of the scene in "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" where the "human" guy infiltrates the cookout, and accidentally says, "Pass the ketchup." :o )

(P.S. Jay --- seriously! --- welcome to the NAR) ;)I'll consider that my official "hazing." :rolleyes: ;) :D

DeanHFox
06-23-2006, 10:19 PM
(Which reminds me of the scene in "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" where the "human" guy infiltrates the cookout, and accidentally says, "Pass the ketchup." :o

I *love* that sequence! What a belly laugh that was!

(I promise, no hazing, so long as you don't break into a chorus of "Puberty Love" --- I was SOOOO disappointed in "Mars Attacks" when they ripped of "Killer Tomatoes" use of a really BAD song/singer to wipe out the bad guys...of course, I suppose only a few spuds like us had ever actually seen BOTH movies! :) )

hawkshobby
06-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Ok Guys this is the standings so far. @ = kits we have talked about and put on our list.

Goblin @
Mark (305) @
Solar Sailor @
Bandit @

Interceptor K-50 @
Bomarc
Wolverine
Starblazer X20 @

Pegasus @
Photon Disrupter @
Der Red Max
Blue Bird Zero
Orbital Transport @
LTV Scout

The rest in no particular order
Andromeda @
A-20 Demon
Astron SkyDart @
Astron Scrambler - K-373
Astron Ranger
Little Joe II - K-30
Gemini Titan -K-21
Hyperion @
SS Cassiopeia @
Star Speeder @
Firecat -0821 @
Airborne Surveillance Missile -0867
Alien Invader -1281 @
U.S.S. Atlantis -1283 @
Teros -1285
Satellite Interceptor -1296 @
Space Transporter America -1338
Space Cruiser Excalibur -1339
Starfighter Combo -1343 ( ½ of the combo)
Dragon Ship 7 -1345
Black Hole Space Probe -1350
F-61 Starfighter -1358
Starship Nova -1371
Nebulon Warrior -1339 @
Scout Ship Nova -1392
Corsair -1999
Deep Space Transport -2034
Der Red Max
Big Bertha
Sprint
Ramjet
a scale or fantasy rocket would be cool

Would need special ok to do these:
Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper
SST Shuttle
Centuri Shuttle

Loretta

Initiator001
06-23-2006, 11:33 PM
(suspicious look) Do you mean -- of *potatoes?* :confused:

(Which reminds me of the scene in "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" where the "human" guy infiltrates the cookout, and accidentally says, "Pass the ketchup." :o )

I'll consider that my official "hazing." :rolleyes: ;) :D

Yes!

"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes", filmed and produced here in San Diego.

Several years ago, at the San Diego Comic Con, several of the cast and crew had a reunion panel. Some of the actors showed up in costume.

Later that year, the Director's Cut/Collector's edition of the film was released on DVD. When I went to buy one at the local Best Buy, some woman was trying to buy every copy they had. They would only let her buy three. :rolleyes:

Good fun.

Bob

DeanHFox
Ok Guys this is the standings so far. @ = kits we have talked about and put on our list.

<snip list>

Would need special ok to do these:
Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper
SST Shuttle
Centuri Shuttle

Loretta
Loretta, I'm very curious...why the "special ok required" on the last three?

hawkshobby
I've seen Hawk's kits and the only term I can come up with to describe them is beautiful. They are first rate the whole way! Now if I only had extra money....

Thanks for the good word on the kits .

We put a lot of work into them to make them the best we can , however feedback and comments are always welcome .

Loretta & Mark

hawkshobby
06-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Loretta, I'm very curious...why the "special ok required" on the last three?

Check your PM .
Loretta

DeanHFox
06-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I did so, and it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info! :)

hawkshobby
06-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Were all in trouble Marks been thinking again. :rolleyes:

He want to know what you all think of a upscale RC version of the Sky Dart???

Let us know
Loretta

Tweener
06-24-2006, 07:40 PM

Let us know
LorettaRC??? You bet! I've been wanting to merge the two hobbies for some time, but just wasn't too crazy about the Estes T-25 Centurian. :D

DeanHFox
06-24-2006, 09:32 PM

Let us know
Loretta

George Gassaway did an outstanding RC project with the SkyDart boosted by a "flyback" shuttle...always wanted someone to kit that beast. Maybe you could get George's permission? :)

Check it out here: http://members.aol.com/RBGliders/OSP/OSP.htm

LOVE that model :)

ghrocketman
06-25-2006, 09:52 PM
An upscale D-E-F-G powered R/C Astron SkyDart sounds GREAT.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat !
R/C happens to be one of my other numerous expensive hobbies....usaully fly "pattern" or "pylon" style planes though.

Why is special permission required for the Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper ?
Copyrights by the television studios ?