PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Thunderbird and Hotmail

Tau Zero
05-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Just a quick question for you guys "in the know." (Pay attention Craig M., I'm probably talking to you. :o :eek: ;) :D )

After 7 years with Earthlink (and even more years with the Eudora e-mail program), I'm switching over to a completely different service provider that *doesn't* provide e-mail. As a result, I'm trying to get Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail program to work with my new Hotmail addresses.

I set up a Hotmail ID, which allows me to have 4 more additional e-mail addresses. However, while I can get the program to download e-mail from my main ID address, it doesn't work with the subsidiary addresses.

My question is, "Do I need to set up 5 different Hotmail IDs for the passwords to work with the accounts inside the Thunderbird e-mail program?" Or is there something You Guys Know That I Don't?

Please advise.

Thanks and cheers, as always,

CPMcGraw
05-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Just a quick question for you guys "in the know." (Pay attention Craig M., I'm probably talking to you. :o :eek: ;) :D )

After 7 years with Earthlink (and even more years with the Eudora e-mail program), I'm switching over to a completely different service provider that *doesn't* provide e-mail. As a result, I'm trying to get Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail program to work with my new Hotmail addresses.

I set up a Hotmail ID, which allows me to have 4 more additional e-mail addresses. However, while I can get the program to download e-mail from my main ID address, it doesn't work with the subsidiary addresses.

My question is, "Do I need to set up 5 different Hotmail IDs for the passwords to work with the accounts inside the Thunderbird e-mail program?" Or is there something You Guys Know That I Don't?

Please advise.

Thanks and cheers, as always,

Are those other four Hotmail boxes "real" email boxes, or just "aliases" that feed to the main address?

Does each address have its own separate login and password?

Test the first case by sending a message to each one, then see if the primary box collects them.

FWIW, Thunderbird has run reasonably well with my Bellsouth (AT&T) accounts. I don't know enough about Hotmail, other than I had one, got too much spam, and just stopped using it. I'm not much of a 'web mail' fan.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-16-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm not much of a 'web mail' fan.

Not a "web mail fan"? :eek: Then how will you ever collect your lottery winnings and swing a bigger dork? :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
05-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Are those other four Hotmail boxes "real" email boxes, or just "aliases" that feed to the main address?

Does each address have its own separate login and password?

Test the first case by sending a message to each one, then see if the primary box collects them.1) Apparently they're just aliases that feed to the main address. (Where's my "heavy sigh" emoticon when I really need it?)

2) Each address does *not* have its own separate login and password.

Apparently the work-around for this is to have the main address with several sub-addresses, and then use the filters in Thunderbird to send the appropriate messages to sub-folders for each of the addresses.

It remains to be seen if I can actually make that last part work. :eek:

FWIW, Thunderbird has run reasonably well with my Bellsouth (AT&T) accounts. I don't know enough about Hotmail, other than I had one, got too much spam, and just stopped using it. I'm not much of a 'web mail' fan.I highly recommend MailWasher, which is available at "mailwasher.net" for a surprisingly reasonable price (~$35ish, IIRC).

Thanks and cheers! You are a rocketeer, a gentleman, and a generally high-tech guru!

Cheers,