PDA

View Full Version : Reversed image in Rocsim

dlazarus6660
05-24-2011, 12:49 PM
How do I reverse the fin image in Rocsim.

jeffk813
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
There are a couple of different ways an image can be "backwards" and to help get this figured out, knowing which way yours is "off" would be a big help.

That said, in Rocksim your image is duplicated on both sides of each fin you apply it to, so it will always appear correct on one side of the fin, and backwards on the other. The biggest issue this causes is when there's writing involved. No way around it I'm afraid.

Tau Zero
05-27-2011, 11:19 PM
How do I reverse the fin image in Rocsim.Print it out, cut it out, flip it over? :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Sorry, I'm not sure how else you mean to reverse it.

Did this help, or not?

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
05-27-2011, 11:54 PM

in Rocksim your image is duplicated on both sides of each fin you apply it to, so it will always appear correct on one side of the fin, and backwards on the other.

Unless you're trying to get the "catalog beauty shot" where a fin is supposed to have stenciling, like on the Cherokee-D, the best suggestion is to not have any writing on the fins at all.

To get a "mirror image" of a decal, you need to use your favorite software package (like GIMP, or Photoshop) to do either a "horizontal flip" or a "vertical flip" -- not to be confused with a "Wilson Flip" -- of the image.

RockSim just "applies" a decal to the fin, and creates the opposite side automatically.

(History lesson: The "Wilson Flip" is the source of the phrase "WYSIWYG"...)

jeffk813
05-28-2011, 08:01 AM
One other thing to remember about Rocksim is that it's "upside down" as far as decals go.

If you use GIMP or Photoshop to make your decals for Rocksim, you MUST flip them upside down to get them to appear correct when applied to the model in Rocksim. For instance, the Der Red Max upscale I've been working on has lots of different graphics all over it. Let's take one of its fins for an example. To get the final image to look like the top fin in this view:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mLLC9XxXxV0/TeDwmowpaSI/AAAAAAAAACQ/NEaxchbA2kY/Red%252520Maximum.jpg

You need to crete the image file for that fin, then reverse it and flip it upside down so it looks like this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ITHFHxEi7s0/TeDwvO7h79I/AAAAAAAAACU/gcXm8p2dVZk/DRMfin3a.jpg

Depending on the rocket and the decal, you may need to play around with your image program to get it to come out correctly, but remember that when dealing with decorations, Rocksim sometimes thinks backwards.

James Pierson
06-01-2011, 10:25 PM

If you are looking of a auto reverse buttom you will not fnd it...I have looked...lol I can be done but is difficult to expain so here it goes.

All points in the fin relate to the the point 0,0 in the Plan Points view. Point 0,0 is like home base for all pionts. Reversing fins relating each points Y and X axis and how it relates to home base (0,0) using posative and negative numbers as there opposite relate to homebase 0,0.

Hope this confused you as much as me...lol

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

dlazarus6660
06-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Ok, here go's.

I'm trying to design a rocket based on the X-29 experimental jet in Rocsim.
I'm using the Snarky wing as a fin template. It is this fin I want to reverse the image.
The Snarky wing fin is in the file of fins for Rocsim.
Do I need to make the fin from scratch?

Discuss.

brianc
06-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Ok, here go's.

I'm trying to design a rocket based on the X-29 experimental jet in Rocsim.
I'm using the Snarky wing as a fin template. It is this fin I want to reverse the image.
The Snarky wing fin is in the file of fins for Rocsim.
Do I need to make the fin from scratch?

Discuss.
There are only six points on that fin design (and two are on
the root edge and won't change). I'd just change it by hand.

A simple way to do it- Edit the fin, click the plan points tab and 'show points'
button. Record the X/Y values, then reverse them on your own design...

Probably took longer to write this reply than it'll take to enter into RS. ;)

dlazarus6660
06-08-2011, 08:48 PM
OK

Do it and send it my way!
I'm not too savy in Rocsim.