PDA

View Full Version : AHHHI I Wasn't just imagining them!

stefanj
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
The Ninfinger site still occasionally posts new stuff. A few days ago an MPC mini-catalog appeared:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/MPCInsert/MPCInsert.html

Look at the motor listings!

C9-3

C9-0

I remember seeing this catalog years and years ago and wondering about those.

I'm going to guess that they were vaporware.

More than a C9, I'd love to have every one of those kits to build again.

SEL
06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
The Ninfinger site still occasionally posts new stuff. A few days ago an MPC mini-catalog appeared:

C9-3

C9-0

And for $1.30 per pack!

S.

Initiator001
06-22-2011, 01:38 AM

C9-3

C9-0

Years ago, I spoke to Bill Stine about the MPC C9 motors.

He said they never went into production. At best, a few prototypes were made.

Scott6060842
06-22-2011, 05:18 AM

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack sells some old MPC kits still in the shrink wrap...and some of the others occasionally come up on ebay fairly cheap. :)

LW Bercini
06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack sells some old MPC kits still in the shrink wrap...and some of the others occasionally come up on ebay fairly cheap. :)

I still have my Martian Patrol that I picked up in the late 70s. No matter what I do with the stupid saucers, they always cartwheel down.

Bill
06-22-2011, 01:26 PM
I still have my Martian Patrol that I picked up in the late 70s. No matter what I do with the stupid saucers, they always cartwheel down.

When my brother and I first saw that kit, we both broke out in laughter, said, "two eggs, over easy."

Bill

Bazookadale
06-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Years ago, I spoke to Bill Stine about the MPC C9 motors.

He said they never went into production. At best, a few prototypes were made.

Harry Stine had one to show at a Pittcon in the early '70s, never saw one after that! I am still waiting for the "DELTA VEE" motors I paid for back then :mad:

wilsotr
06-22-2011, 02:22 PM

C9-3

C9-0

Cool stuff. The MPC pad and controller were the first I ever owned ... still got 'em, in fact. I still think the pad design trumps any I've seen.

Rocketflyer
06-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Cool stuff. The MPC pad and controller were the first I ever owned ... still got 'em, in fact. I still think the pad design trumps any I've seen.

Lordy yes. I'd really like to get my hands on another pad like that. Then too, I'd like another Nova Ind. p :D ad as well!

stefanj
06-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I have a couple of MPC pads, although they are missing parts. e.g., the little wind indicator.

I don't recall ever getting my hands on a launch controller.

Scott6060842
06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I have a couple of MPC pads, although they are missing parts. e.g., the little wind indicator.

I don't recall ever getting my hands on a launch controller.

Here's one

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MPC-MODEL-ROCKET-LAUNCHER-LAUNCH-CONTROLLER-/280700181743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415b08dcef

Initiator001
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Here's the Martian Patrol kit I built in the early 1990s.

A warehouse full of old MPC/AVI product was found in 1988 or 1989 and got into the hobby distributor pipeline. I picked up many MPC kits (and motors) at a hobby shop in Henderson, NV.

Chas Russell
06-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I like tbe Strategic Air Command decals Bob! I was SACumcised at a young age. Okay, I was 21 when I was assigned to the 17th Bomb Wing, WP AFB, Ohio.
I do not have a Martian Patrol, but did pick up several of the MPC 13mm and 18mm kits, both in the day and after the warehouse find. In my collection I have Zenith II kits from MRI, MPC (also sold by AVI), and Quest.

Chas

stefanj
06-23-2011, 04:49 PM
OK. I ordered a Lunar Patrol, Microsonde, Nike Patriot, and two Pegasi from Uncle Mike. The prices are just barely reasonable. Just about exactly a month of "fun money."

I intend to do "catalog perfect" finishes and fly them sparingly. Kind of a tribute to the models that got me started Back In The Day. (Well, I think I sloppily built an Alpha before sloppily building a Redstone Maverick.)

The Martian Patrol is so goofy . . . MPC couldn't be convinced to spring for a special set of decals?

Initiator001
06-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I like tbe Strategic Air Command decals Bob! I was SACumcised at a young age. Okay, I was 21 when I was assigned to the 17th Bomb Wing, WP AFB, Ohio.
I do not have a Martian Patrol, but did pick up several of the MPC 13mm and 18mm kits, both in the day and after the warehouse find. In my collection I have Zenith II kits from MRI, MPC (also sold by AVI), and Quest.

Chas

Those decals came with the kit.

The decal sheet was pretty generic. I made up the finishing scheme.

I have a Nike-Patriot I built around the same time. I'll have to find it and take some pictures. :)

Doug Sams
06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
OK. I ordered a Lunar Patrol, Microsonde, Nike Patriot, and two Pegasi from Uncle Mike. The Microsonde just begs for a B14-0 in the first stage. That said, since it's not available, make sure you build it very light. I suggest upgrading the launch lugs to 3/16" and using a longer rod. Even then, fly it on a calm day. Also, one trick I use to relieve demands on the first stage booster is to motor down in the upper stages - use a B6-0 to A8-0 to A8-5 combo. The lighter upper stage motors will help the first stage get it going better. (Not that you don't already know these things...I'm just thinking out loud :) )

Doug

stefanj
06-24-2011, 06:20 PM
The Microsonde just begs for a B14-0 in the first stage. That said, since it's not available, make sure you build it very light. I suggest upgrading the launch lugs to 3/16" and using a longer rod. Even then, fly it on a calm day. Also, one trick I use to relieve demands on the first stage booster is to motor down in the upper stages - use a B6-0 to A8-0 to A8-5 combo. The lighter upper stage motors will help the first stage get it going better. (Not that you don't already know these things...I'm just thinking out loud :) )

All good to know.

I actually have a few B14-0 left. Also some 1/2A6-0.

hcmbanjo
06-24-2011, 07:27 PM

I've built and flown a Martian Patrol this last year.
At ejection, one saucer "hovers" the other one flips end over end.

Here's a link to the build thread:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/Martian%20Patrol

That first blog entry is from a guy selling a Martian patrol on Ebay.
He's had it listed as "buy it now" for months. Heck, he only wants $99.00 for it.

stefanj
06-24-2011, 11:27 PM
It would be interesting to re-envision, rather than clone, the Martian Patrol.

Start with two saucers, perhaps but not necessarily made of foam, and create a more alien carrier ship.

dlazarus6660
06-26-2011, 10:13 AM
It would be interesting to re-envision, rather than clone, the Martian Patrol.

Start with two saucers, perhaps but not necessarily made of foam, and create a more alien carrier ship.

Something like a Venus Probe with saucers! :D

stefanj
06-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Something like a Venus Probe with saucers! :D
Hmmm. You know, I have the parts for an Exo-Skel . . . just missing instructions and the body wrap.

Having bizarro bio-tech saucers hanging off of a mothership would be way cool.

(I adapted my first Exo-Skel, sold before my last move, to D power. I replaced the fin can with a transition to a bit of BT-60 with a 24mm motor mount in it. The fins were scaled up versions of the original plastic ones. Basswood, TTW.

I made "veins" of plastic goop over the body tube and fins. It came out pretty good. I wish I'd kept it.