PDA

View Full Version : Astron Sprint

tbzep
07-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Since I was printing up decals for the EAC Viper and the Akela-1, I decided to fill the decal page with some other projects. One such project was to repair an original Astron Sprint that took damage at a school demo launch. It broke two fins off when it landed on the roof of the school. Normally, I just glue the fins right back on and display the battle damage proudly. This time, one of the two broken fins was lost some how.

Yesterday, I cut a new fin and shaped it to match the other fin that had popped off. I put the old fin and the new one back on the Sprint and proceeded to fill and sand...I hate sanding. :rolleyes: Since I had to paint the replacement fin, I decided to fill the dings from years of flights and repaint the whole rocket. I took care of that today, and tonight applied the Astron Sprint decals that I printed. I would have just painted the one new fin, but the old decals were damaged pretty bad so I didn't see much point in trying to keep it original.

Here is the results:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/AstronSprint1.jpg

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Since I was printing up decals for the EAC Viper and the Akela-1, I decided to fill the decal page with some other projects. One such project was to repair an original Astron Sprint that took damage at a school demo launch. It broke two fins off when it landed on the roof of the school. Normally, I just glue the fins right back on and display the battle damage proudly. This time, one of the two broken fins was lost some how.

Yesterday, I cut a new fin and shaped it to match the other fin that had popped off. I put the old fin and the new one back on the Sprint and proceeded to fill and sand...I hate sanding. :rolleyes: Since I had to paint the replacement fin, I decided to fill the dings from years of flights and repaint the whole rocket. I took care of that today, and tonight applied the Astron Sprint decals that I printed. I would have just painted the one new fin, but the old decals were damaged pretty bad so I didn't see much point in trying to keep it original.

Here is the results:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/AstronSprint1.jpg

I can't see a thing. :confused:

tbzep
07-03-2006, 10:44 PM
It's showing here. Try refreshing your screen.

dwmzmm
07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
It's showing here. Try refreshing your screen.

I've looked hard, and can't see a thing other than a real beauty!

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Nope. i think it must be the photo hosting site clashing with my firewall here at work. I'll look when I get home in the morning.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Nice. I had one of these that I lost at VOA also. Tried a C6-7 flight. Followed it up into the clear blue and never saw it again. One of these days I'm going to have to make a list of all the rockets I've lost at VOA. The only one I got back was my big Groove Tube, which I fixed, then lost again. At this point, all that would remain is the nose cone, but I'd still like to have that even. Nope. Never. Nothin'. :mad: :rolleyes:

tbzep
07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Nice. I had one of these that I lost at VOA also. Tried a C6-7 flight. Followed it up into the clear blue and never saw it again. One of these days I'm going to have to make a list of all the rockets I've lost at VOA. The only one I got back was my big Groove Tube, which I fixed, then lost again. At this point, all that would remain is the nose cone, but I'd still like to have that even. Nope. Never. Nothin'. :mad: :rolleyes:

You're either going to have to find some place other than the rocket eating VOA, or learn to choose smaller motors! :p

As for tracking the Sprint on a C6-7, it helps to use tracking chalk and the widest and longest crepe streamer you can pack into the body tube.

sandman
07-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Bill,

My 13mm (BT-20) version is somewhere in the weeds at VOA.

Probably mating with yours. So if you see a bunch more of them in a few months :rolleyes:

BTW, nice one tbzep

jflis
07-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Beautiful bird and a *FANTASTIC* repair job there! man!

I loved my Astron Sprint, but gave her a good home. I was fortunate enough to have Gleda and Vern Estes launch mine on her 499th and 500th flight last year at NARAM and then gave it to them as a keepsake.

Good sturdy bird that *always* performs! One of my favorite kits ever!

jim

tbzep
07-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Beautiful bird and a *FANTASTIC* repair job there! man!

I loved my Astron Sprint, but gave her a good home. I was fortunate enough to have Gleda and Vern Estes launch mine on her 499th and 500th flight last year at NARAM and then gave it to them as a keepsake.

Good sturdy bird that *always* performs! One of my favorite kits ever!

jim

You must have a really nice place to fly if you were able to launch it 500 times without getting it lost, stuck in a tree, or hauled off by kids before you could get to it! With a C6-7, launched vertically, it can still drift a good distance....onto the top of a school house. :eek:

That was cool to give it to Vern and Gleda. I wish they would hurry up and get that book out, and maybe update their "Dear Mr. Estes" website with some of their personal rocketry photos, and add some book teasers and stuff.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Bill,

My 13mm (BT-20) version is somewhere in the weeds at VOA.

Probably mating with yours. So if you see a bunch more of them in a few months :rolleyes:

BTW, nice one tbzep

No, if I remember right, yours was lost over to the NE side of the field. Mine was down in the SW corner by the Target. ;)
However, if I see a bunch of little ones running around wild this summer, I'll gather them up and find them homes. :D

sandman
07-05-2006, 08:44 PM
That's right!

Do I get the pick of the litter?

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
That's right!

Do I get the pick of the litter?

Sure, and I'll just take the pick of the nose. :D

sandman
07-05-2006, 10:38 PM
You can pick your friends

You can pick your nose

But you shouldn't pick your friend's nose.

jflis
07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
You must have a really nice place to fly if you were able to launch it 500 times without getting it lost, stuck in a tree, or hauled off by kids before you could get to it! With a C6-7, launched vertically, it can still drift a good distance....onto the top of a school house. :eek:

That was cool to give it to Vern and Gleda. I wish they would hurry up and get that book out, and maybe update their "Dear Mr. Estes" website with some of their personal rocketry photos, and add some book teasers and stuff.

Well, back in the late 70's when I realized how many flights I had on it, I set myself to see how far I could go with it and kept my logs on it. Also, after that point I never flew it with anything other than A8-3 motors (well, the occational B... :) )

2 years ago when I past 400 I set myself the goal of getting it to 500 for NARAM and got it done! :) It was a thrill, to say the least.

If interested, you can see the photo album about that launch by clicking here. (http://fliskits.com/photo_album/2005/naram47/index3.htm) (starting about the 6th picture down)

A very happy day :)