PDA

View Full Version : Triathlon Results

DANLK66
07-09-2011, 04:55 PM
We had 9 members take part in this years event today. Sadly last years champ Joe was not able to attend today but vows to come back next year to challenge the new champion. Jerome is the new Triathlon champion after a great day of flying. He flew a Halloween version of the paper caution rocket that he flew last year and it held its own against a wide array of production kits again this year. Jerome's best flight was in the C spot landing where he landed 12 paces away from the flag which was about 40 yards away from the pads.

The day started off with the wind coming out of the south which rarely happens at the Sod Farm. This changed all the strategys as you could now fly bigger parachutes without being concerned about keeping the rocket on the field as you would with the wind coming out of the normal NW. The Triathlon consisted of 3 events using one rocket. A streamer duration, B parachute duration, and C spot landing. The streamer duration was won by Jerome with Paul K and Walt taking second and third. They each had the smallest and lightest of the rockets used in todays competition and took full advantage of it in the duration events.

The B parachute duration was the most fun to watch. My first launch of my Baby Bertha with a mylar chute stayed up 49.4 seconds by hanging onto a couple thermals. Jerome was close behind me at 49.0 seconds. Paul K caught a few thermals and was able to stay up 1 min 41 seconds and still get his rocket back from the back of the Sod Farm. Walt had the most impressive flight of the day when his rocket was carried away on an 18 inch mylar chute as it kept hitting thermals and gaining altitude. We lost sight of it at just over 5 minutes. Walt was not able to recover the rocket and was knocked out of the competition.

Spot landing started with the flag being put about 40 yards down wind and about 25 yards to the right. It was at this time that it seemed that many of the rockets got a mind of their own and weather cocked in different directions. Chad had the first good flight and came within 21 paces of the flag which seemed like the the flight to beat. Jerome stepped up to the plate and impressed us all by coming withing 12 paces with his paper rocket. Christopher did not let an opportunity to take third pass him by and landed 113 paces from the flag to secure it.

The day ended with Jerome in first place., Paul K in second, and Chad and Dan tied for third.

Thanks to everyone for participating and helping out today. Now to come up with next years event!

Dan

DANLK66
07-09-2011, 04:58 PM
more pics

WRE
07-09-2011, 07:20 PM
as far as I know, it never landed..

DANLK66
07-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I think it is :D

chadrog
07-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the effort and coverage Dan, it was a fun event!

PaulK
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
This was a fun event, flying 3 different motors in the same model. Thanks to the Contest Director!

Paul S
07-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I really had a good time too. I love these little contests. We definitely need to do these every year (or more?).