PDA

View Full Version : More stuff to do

tbzep
07-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I found some more classic parts while digging in the attic with my little brown recluse buddies.

On the left is a nosecone and transition from an Estes Nomad. Hmmm...I could build a Seros or Nomad, but I'd have to scratch together a fin can replacement.

Three Akela-1 nosecones (AKA Centuri PNC-76). I might build a couple of alternate fin and paint versions of the Akela-1. :cool:

Bottom right is the payload section from an old Astron Apogee II. Could I call it a repair job or are you guys gonna make me call it a clone if I rebuild the sustainer and booster? :D

I have no clue what the unpainted nosecones and transition went with. I've never bought a Designer's Special, nor do I rembember buying any extra nosecones. A mysterious origin, they are. :confused:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/Parts1.jpg

dtomko
07-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Someone was offering resin repros of the Saros fin can a while back. I thought it might be Mike Schmidt, but I didn't see it on Moldin' Oldies. You could probably scratch the fins from balsa pretty easily, though. I always liked the look of the Saros.

I don't know what the threshold percentage of original parts to new parts is that makes a repair into a clone :rolleyes: We won't tell :D

Drew

tbzep
07-07-2006, 11:33 PM
I don't know what the threshold percentage of original parts to new parts is that makes a repair into a clone :rolleyes: We won't tell :D

Drew

The Six Million Dollar Man had a bunch of new parts, but he was still Steve Austin! :D

Tau Zero
07-07-2006, 11:46 PM
On the left is a nosecone and transition from an Estes Nomad. Hmmm...I could build a [Saros] or Nomad, but I'd have to scratch together a fin can replacement.Got RockSim? See my Estes Saros (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=6588&postcount=24) approximation.

Cheers,

ghrocketman
07-21-2006, 09:23 AM
The unpainted BT-20 nose cone, tube and 20 to 50 balsa adapter/transition are for the Estes Nike Ajax. I have built 3 of them and it was easily recognizable !

tbzep
07-21-2006, 10:23 AM
The unpainted BT-20 nose cone, tube and 20 to 50 balsa adapter/transition are for the Estes Nike Ajax. I have built 3 of them and it was easily recognizable !

That's it! I remember my childhood buddy buying a Nike Ajax and I don't remember him ever finishing it. He gave me some parts and damaged rockets about 20-25 years ago. The Nike Ajax parts were probably in the box.

James Pierson
07-21-2006, 06:01 PM
tbzep said,

The Six Million Dollar Man had a bunch of new parts, but he was still Steve Austin!

Better, Faster , Stronger, We can rebuild him! :D Love that show, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907