PDA

View Full Version : New kits for NARAM and a contest

Carl@Semroc
07-17-2011, 03:41 PM
NARAM announcements in
Semroc Minute #9 (http://www.semroc.com/documents/semroc-minute9.html)

Hope to see you there!

L3Excalibur
07-17-2011, 06:03 PM
NARAM announcements in
Semroc Minute #9 (http://www.semroc.com/documents/semroc-minute9.html)

Hope to see you there!

Wish I could make NARAM this year. Events have conspired to make me miss NARCON, TARC finals and now NARAM. Since two of the missed events were due to employment conflicts, I suppose I should be grateful to be having that problem - so many people I know are still among the ranks of the unemployed.

Thanks so much for kitting up the Moon Glow. That is such a cute little rocket. I always meant to buy one during my first foray into model rocketry in the 60's, then RDC was out of business when I got back into the hobby some years later.

The new scale kits look great! I will be placing my order right after I finish looking over YORF and TRF.

You are doing a WONDERFUL job. Thanks, and KEEP IT UP!!!

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-17-2011, 07:51 PM
:cool: I've got an original Shrike that I bought off of Ebay a while back. Might be done in one of the worst color combinations ever thought up. I'll be doing this one to look more like the catalog bird.

Initiator001
07-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Order placed! :D

mrhemi1971
07-18-2011, 06:17 AM
The benefits of being a sam are as follows:

#1 You get to buy great model rocket kits at a 20% discount!

IAMASAM 216

mrhemi1971
07-18-2011, 06:18 AM
#2 You get a badge, decals, and a cool kit too!

IAMASAM 216

mrhemi1971
07-18-2011, 06:19 AM
#3 You get to belong to an exclusive rocket club with many others across the world!

IAMASAM 216

Carl@Semroc
07-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Contest starts on Saturday morning!

But I love your exhuberance. :chuckle:

Also, one thing I forgot, this subforum does not count because everyone here already knows the benefits.

mrhemi1971
07-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Just getting some practice in Carl!! :chuckle: :chuckle:
Have a safe trip! wish I going too!!

jharding58
07-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Has anyone ever used a glow in the dark paint on the Moon Glo? I have seen a couple in the Cars section of the LHS - it might prove an interesting finish.

Mark II
07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I guess I'd better get my badge, then.

I'm flipping out over these new kits...Incredibly cool!

(Moon-Glo - yes!!!)

chanstevens
07-19-2011, 10:10 PM
The benefits of being a sam are as follows:

#1 You get to buy great model rocket kits at a 20% discount!

IAMASAM 216

OK, now I know Bruce is doing their web coding--when I check out as a SAM member, it's only ringing me up for a 10% discount :confused: . Several years ago at NARAM, I caught Bruce a bit unprepared for some cash sales (didn't have a price list), handed him a $20 for a small kit, and he joked saying "that's about right", trying to keep it. Ever since then, he's kept trying to offer me the "Chan discount" whenever I buy from him instead of Carl or Sheryl, where that discount usually starts at about a 20% premium and I have to coerce him to get me back down to retail :D

--Chan Stevens

Carl@Semroc
07-19-2011, 10:24 PM
OK, now I know Bruce is doing their web coding--when I check out as a SAM member, it's only ringing me up for a 10% discount :confused: . Several years ago at NARAM, I caught Bruce a bit unprepared for some cash sales (didn't have a price list), handed him a $20 for a small kit, and he joked saying "that's about right", trying to keep it. Ever since then, he's kept trying to offer me the "Chan discount" whenever I buy from him instead of Carl or Sheryl, where that discount usually starts at about a 20% premium and I have to coerce him to get me back down to retail :D

--Chan Stevens
So that's what the Chan discount was that I took out of the website! :chuckle:

Seriously (as I can be), it did not have an expiration for your NAR membership so it did not add the extra 10% for NAR. That'll come out of Bruce's pocket at NARAM.

chanstevens
07-20-2011, 07:23 PM
So that's what the Chan discount was that I took out of the website! :chuckle:

Seriously (as I can be), it did not have an expiration for your NAR membership so it did not add the extra 10% for NAR. That'll come out of Bruce's pocket at NARAM.

Well now Bruce has roped Sheryl into the act--I apparently ordered before she figured out every order over $35 gets a free Moon-Glo. Looks like I might be working out a "special vendor fee" inflicted on certain vendors at NARAM this year ;) .

RocketGirl
07-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Well now Bruce has roped Sheryl into the act--I apparently ordered before she figured out every order over $35 gets a free Moon-Glo. Looks like I might be working out a "special vendor fee" inflicted on certain vendors at NARAM this year ;) .

Since Carl and Sheryl can see into the future and know what we're planning to order before we do, I bet Sheryl knew about the "special vendor fee" and decided to offset it by keeping your Moon-Glo.

Carl@Semroc
07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
I was going to respond and say that right NOW, I would not say much to Sheryl. Before NARAM, you should see her reaction when I say something simple like , "I was just thinking..." Upon reflection, you would NOT like to see her reaction. :chuckle:

This is a stressful time anyway. We have had some fun surprises over the past few weeks. Venus, our laser, stopped about three weeks ago. Bearing went out in X-drive servo. We overnighted a $450 servo and a $4.00 bearing, so the old one is now repaired as a spare. Last Friday morning while talking with John Dyer, Bruce said "Get off the phone, the laser is on fire!" Flames coming out from under the bed, quick 5 second decision on the fire extinguisher, Laser or house? Fire extinguisers make a real mess. The parts we needed were proprietary or custom, so it would not be easy or quick, but at 7:00 pm, it was rebuilt so it is almost as good as new; much better than a few weeks ago. Then yesterday, the Y-axis servo went out. Ordered a new $350 replacement overnight. While waiting, I found one small board that still had residue from the fire extinguiser and cleaning process. Low level signals from the encoder were shorting. Now it is fixed and we have a Y-axis spare that just came.

Last Wednesday, a surprise ring at the door and we met our new BATFE agent. Just a quick three hour inspection of paperwork, magazine, and review of the Orange book. Almost three years of having the LEMP and no visit, then one out of the blue. I guessed they had more time now, since they had to stop selling guns to drug runners. That killed the day for Bruce and I.

Releasing three new kits is always stressful for all of us, but NARAM's seem to make us make time when there is never enough time. The Aerobee 300, Bandit, USS America, WAC Corporal, and Starship Vega were all close, but will not make the trip this time.

We were really hoping to have a few days to pack some 10mm's for NARAM, but they will be a priority when we get back.

jetlag
07-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Man, I better start saving up! Sheesh!

I already have a build pile up to the roof and beyond; I guess a few more won't hurt... :rolleyes:

Carl, thanks for all the goodies with my order that came yesterday. You folks travel safely!
That baby Orion is amazing!

Allen

Initiator001
07-21-2011, 08:18 PM
I placed my Semroc order on July 17th (Sunday night).

Order was shipped July 18th (Monday).

Order received on July 20th (Wednesday). :)

Thanks, Semroc!

grog
07-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Carl,

I received the kits I ordered Sunday evening today--Shrike, Aerobee 150, and Moon Glo. Thanks for the great service. Everything looks great, as usual.

Greg

SAM #0071

jetlag
07-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Ordered a Baby Orion, Shrike, Cherokee-C, a Moon-Glo, and some parts and pieces on Monday morning. All came in on Wednesday and had my SAM-3 and an extra Moon-Glo (the freebie) in the box. Woo-Hoo!
Thanks everyone at Semroc!
Being a SAM certainly has many advantages!

Allen
IMASAM #50

mrhemi1971
07-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I ordered my stuff LATE on wednesday, and it came in today! Got to love their service!

IMASAM 216

Initiator001
07-23-2011, 05:54 PM
I ordered my stuff LATE on wednesday, and it came in today! Got to love their service!

IMASAM 216

Yup. You have to love that Semroc shipping service. :D

IMASAM 14

Carl@Semroc
07-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Saturday - #0216 - Goblin
Sunday - #0069 - Baby Orion
Monday - #????- Arcas
Tuesday - #???? - Shrike
Wednesday - #???? - PSC Infinity
Thursday - #???? - Aerobee 150
Friday - #???? - $100 Gift Certificate

Congratulations Ryan, Tim, .......

tbzep
07-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Monday - #????- Arcas
Tuesday - #???? - Shrike

Thank you kind sir!

mrhemi1971
07-24-2011, 04:52 PM
BIG Thanks!!! Hope NARAM is going well!

jetlag
07-25-2011, 04:46 AM
Being a SAM allows you to peruse this part of the YORF site to check out the latest from Semroc. Yet another advantage us SAM'rs have!

Allen
IMASAM #50

hcmbanjo
07-25-2011, 09:47 AM
I like the SAM name because it sounds cooler than the old Centuri CAT name.

IMASAM # 0180

hcmbanjo
07-25-2011, 09:49 AM
The SAM membership gives you a Semroc discount of 10%, on top of your 10% NAR discount. A total of 20% off!

IMASAM # 0180

hcmbanjo
07-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Has anyone mentioned exclusive kits only for SAM members???!!!!

IMASAM # 0180

hcmbanjo
07-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Because Orville Carlisle looks a little like the Semroc SAM logo guy.

Just kidding, my apologies to the Carlisle family.

IMASAM # 0180

Can you tell I'm trying for a win here? Four entries in one day!
Please stop me before I post again!
Since I'm not at NARAM this week, this is as close as I can get to a rocket competition.

tbzep
07-25-2011, 12:48 PM
SAMs,

Remember that your comments have to be in other sections of the forum so the general population can see them in order for it to count for the contest. Only current SAMMERS can see this forum. ;)

jetlag
07-25-2011, 01:04 PM
D'Oh!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Tim!

mrhemi1971
07-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Not trying to be greedy, but can you win more than once? just curious....

tbzep
07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Not trying to be greedy, but can you win more than once? just curious....
I don't know, but I'm not going to enter this one again. It might be bad karma. :p

mrhemi1971
07-26-2011, 05:54 AM
My Moon Glo is just about done! I'll post pics when finished. Krylon pistachio is about the same color green as the artwork, without being glow in the dark. it'll be a neat little bird. Yet another reason to deal with he fine folks at SEMROC.... :D :D

IMASAM 216

RocketRohde
07-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Monday - #????- Arcas
Tuesday - #???? - Shrike

Any word on the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday winners

Thanks

Mike

Carl@Semroc
07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Monday - #0004- Arcas
Tuesday - #0032 - Shrike
Wednesday - #0008 - PSC Infinity

Congratulations Ryan, Tim, John, Don, Chan,.......

Two more days! There were only 7 entries on Tues and 5 on Wednesday. Looks like entries on Thursday will be good odds!

Everyone that has played all week will get one entry in the main drawing on Friday. We will close it out before the Banquet.

John Brohm
07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Monday - #0004- Arcas
Tuesday - #0032 - Shrike

Congratulations Ryan, Tim, John, Don, Chan,.......

Hi Carl!

Thanks for the news! Looking forward to the ARCAS. And thanks for just a great service and support to NARAM. It's been a lot of fun this week.

Carl@Semroc
07-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Monday - #0004- Arcas
Tuesday - #0032 - Shrike
Thursday - #0123 - Aerobee 150

Congratulations Ryan, Tim, John, Don, Chan, Alex.......

One more day!

ECayemberg
07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Wow, what a generous contest; congrats to all the winners and thanks to the fine Semroc folks for "giving back" to their friends (cult like followers?); another great perk to being a SAM!

Can't wait to add a few of the new releases to the fleet. I'm eyeing the Arcas, Aerobee, Shrike. Aw heck, might just get them all!

One clear disadvantage to being a SAM; discount prices on great quality kits means that my build backlog keeps growing!

Thanks Semroc!

IMASAM #090
-Eric Cayemberg-

Spaceclipper
07-30-2011, 12:38 AM
great kits indeed! Semroc kits help fight boredom! Have been on a Semroc building frenzy this week since I've been with a Gout flare up that has left me unable to walk. Have to keep the foot propped up... :( but I've been able to do a marathon of watching Doctor Who and building. Currently on deck Goblin, thinking about painting it orange. Next up Laser X both std and SLS with extra motor mounts....

Spaceclipper
07-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Of course the main reason to become a SAM is it helps spread peace, love, and understanding to the rocketry community, Scouts, 4H, and TARC teams around the world! Doesn't get any better than that. :D

mrhemi1971
07-30-2011, 09:21 AM
has the $100 gift certificate winner been picked yet?

RocketGirl
07-30-2011, 10:02 AM
has the $100 gift certificate winner been picked yet?

The Semroc crew left NARAM late last night and drove through the night to get home, so it might be a little while before Carl posts the info. Hopefully, they're catching up on some sleep and recovering from a busy week.

Solomoriah
07-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Have been on a Semroc building frenzy this week since I've been with a Gout flare up that has left me unable to walk. Have to keep the foot propped up... :(
Dampen a towel and get it hot, as hot as you can stand to have touching your skin. (My wife microwaves the towels for me when I need them.) Sit with the hot towel(s) wrapped around the gouty parts and drink a lot of water, at least 32 ounces. Doesn't hurt to down that much before starting the towel treatment, then drinking more while getting the foot hot... kind of depends on how fast you absorb water. The object is to decrystallize the uric acid with a combination of more hydration and heat.

This technique has always helped me when I have a gout attack, though I'll admit it isn't 100%.

Carl@Semroc
07-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Congratulations to Earl Cagle, SAM#0073, for the grand prize winning post. All it took was one in his case. Some have all the luck!

Monday - #0004- Arcas
Tuesday - #0032 - Shrike - delivered
Thursday - #0123 - Aerobee 150
Friday - #0073 - $100 Gift Certificate

Congratulations Ryan, Tim, John, Don, Chan, Alex., and Earl......

We had 48 entries this past week. Many were here (in virtual NARAM mode) and we had six new members that signed up on the field. Several were at our booth every day supporting us in the sweltering heat.

This was fun! SAM's are our lifeblood and we appreciate all of you for keeping us here. We are looking for more suggestions for how we can make being a SAM even more fun in the future.

Ltvscout
07-30-2011, 11:04 AM
We are looking for more suggestions for how we can make being a SAM even more fun in the future.
Having us help you test new BP motors would be a lot of fun! ;)

SEL
07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Having us help you test new BP motors would be a lot of fun! ;)

I second the motion!

S.

BEC
07-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I'll offer a third to that motion :D

johnnwwa
07-30-2011, 03:26 PM
and I'll Fourth that. :confused: Is that right?

John

mrhemi1971
07-30-2011, 05:30 PM
I like the idea of SAM only kits. Maybe when future releases come out SAM's can get them a week or two earlier? Just a thought.. Or special/alternate decal selections for SAM's?

Question, when will the space plane be available again?

Solomoriah
07-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Beta testing engines. All in favor, say aye!

AYE!!!

:D

Spaceclipper
07-30-2011, 11:31 PM
I'll have a fifth , I mean I fifth that idea
Thanks for the gout info, I appreciate it. Doc's have me on steroids to get it under control and then start another med after it's calmed down. I will give your ideas a try :)

mrhemi1971
07-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Aye!!

Eagle3
07-31-2011, 09:24 AM
I believe Carl has already mentioned in another thread that he can't ship motors for beta testing, but you are welcome to travel to Semroc. :D

barone
07-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Has anyone ever used a glow in the dark paint on the Moon Glo? I have seen a couple in the Cars section of the LHS - it might prove an interesting finish.
Someone may have already responded to this post.....I haven't gone to all the rest of the post yet.

I used glow in the dark paint on a Goony Ghost. Looks great! When I brought the MoonGlo kits back from NARAM and showed them to my wife she said "Ah, another project for the glow-in-the-Dark paint." I plan on doing the MoonGlo the same way I did the Gonny Ghost. White base coat with glow-in-the-dark sprayed over the top. Need to put the decals on before the glow-in-the-dark paint.

barone
07-31-2011, 05:49 PM
And thank you Semroc Crew for bearing the sweltering heat and humidity at NARAM 53. It was great being able to purchase kits there (spread my purchases over the course of the week so I wouldn't know how much I was spending) but it was even better being able to see you all again. Remember, water is a good thing!

BEC
07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
I believe Carl has already mentioned in another thread that he can't ship motors for beta testing, but you are welcome to travel to Semroc. :D

I suppose that makes sense, since they wouldn't yet be certified and such. Oh well, it was a lovely thought while it lasted :).

tbzep
08-07-2011, 10:04 PM
My Baby Orion prize came yesterday and I finally had a chance to look at it tonight. Those pods are tiny! What a cool little kit. :cool:

Thanks Carl and family!

:cool:

Edit: I just realized this won't be seen by the non-SAMMER's. I'll post it in the vendor's thread for those who are unitiated. ;)