PDA

View Full Version : Cockpits: Science meets Fiction

Tau Zero
07-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Okay, I'm gonna need some sci-fi geeks, so belly up to the bar. (I'm already mixing my metaphors, and I'm only into the first sentence. Okay, second. :confused: )

Now, Your Hero (and Mine) at Sirius Rocketry, one David J. Miller (chime in here Dave, I'm counting on it) has a very detailed decal sheet which features some *way* cool cockpits :cool: in the lower right quadrant:

Sirius Decal Sheet #3 (http://www.siriusrocketry.com/siriusshopping/sirius01/item95.html)

Here's my geeky sci-fi question: I'm considering including a cockpit decal for a model (which, if the rocket were *real*) would exceed the speed of light. Now, in the real world, a cockpit made of glass (or some substitute material) wouldn't be a wise engineering choice. :rolleyes: But if I said it just *looked* like a cockpit from the outside, but it was really a *sensor array* (picking up images and outside data) and transmitting the information to the pilot/navigator/folks inside... ;) :D :p

Suspend your disbelief, and be entertained. Lemme know whatcha think.

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Okay, I'm gonna need some sci-fi geeks, so belly up to the bar. (I'm already mixing my metaphors, and I'm only into the first sentence. Okay, second. :confused: )

Now, Your Hero (and Mine) at Sirius Rocketry, one David J. Miller (chime in here Dave, I'm counting on it) has a very detailed decal sheet which features some *way* cool cockpits :cool: in the lower right quadrant:

Sirius Decal Sheet #3 (http://www.siriusrocketry.com/siriusshopping/sirius01/item95.html)

You see cockpits. I see Jack-O-Lanterns winking at me.
(Don't blame me. Jay's the one that decided to do this in a bar.)

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Here's my geeky sci-fi question: I'm considering including a cockpit decal for a model (which, if the rocket were *real*) would exceed the speed of light. Now, in the real world, a cockpit made of glass (or some substitute material) wouldn't be a wise engineering choice. :rolleyes: But if I said it just *looked* like a cockpit from the outside, but it was really a *sensor array* (picking up images and outside data) and transmitting the information to the pilot/navigator/folks inside... ;) :D :p

Cheers,

Two words: transparent aluminum. ;)
(Don't get excited. That's the sum total of my Star Trek knowledge. Well, that and "Just one damn minute, Captain.") :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
07-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Don't get excited. That's the sum total of my Star Trek knowledge.(chuckling) And to think I planted a Rush quote just for you instead. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,

James Pierson
07-10-2006, 10:40 PM
CenturiGuy said:

Here's my geeky sci-fi question: I'm considering including a cockpit decal for a model (which, if the rocket were *real*) would exceed the speed of light. Now, in the real world, a cockpit made of glass (or some substitute material) wouldn't be a wise engineering choice. But if I said it just *looked* like a cockpit from the outside, but it was really a *sensor array* (picking up images and outside data) and transmitting the information to the pilot/navigator/folks inside...

Make perfect sence to me Jay. (Geek mode turned on :D ) Sensor array sound really cool to me. Maybe take it a step further and make it a 360 degree dome/bulb (gold or silver in color) kind of like targeting sensor the Apache attack chopper has. Just my 2 cents worth, JP

James Pierson
NAR #77907

Tau Zero
07-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Maybe take it a step further and make it a 360 degree dome/bulb (gold or silver in color) kind of like targeting sensor the Apache attack chopper has.JP,

You just want me to work a pingpong ball into the design, don't you? :eek: ;) :D

Chuckling,

James Pierson
07-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Lol , Jp

Sirius Rocketry
07-10-2006, 10:51 PM
(Don't get excited. That's the sum total of my Star Trek knowledge. Well, that and "Just one damn minute, Captain.") :rolleyes:

"Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a (fill in the blank)"

In my universe, the ship is built with a decoy window that just *looks* like a cockpit and really is nowhere near the real cockpit, which is fitted with one of Jay's theroretical sensor arrays, cleverly disguised as an uninteresting part of the ship. Fire at the faux windows, and hit the septic tank...

Tau Zero
07-10-2006, 10:53 PM
"Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a (fill in the blank)"

...Fire at the faux windows, and hit the septic tank...Plumber.

(Belly laugh) :p

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Think I'm kidding?
Ah, the Jack-O-Lantern with his wee, beady blue eyes. I know I won't sleep tonight. (Of course I won't. I'm at work.) :rolleyes:

JRThro
07-10-2006, 11:39 PM

Cheers,
Sure, why not, Jay?

Or have the cockpit made of General Products ship hull material, which is transparent to visible light but impervious to almost everything else but antimatter. (See Larry Niven for details.)

Otherwise, nothing wrong with having a sensor array that's shaped like a cockpit canopy. They both have similar functions, really.

Tweener
07-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Here's my geeky sci-fi question: I'm considering including a cockpit decal for a model (which, if the rocket were *real*) would exceed the speed of light.If you decide on a hypothetically transparent material, maybe the color of it might act like a filter to block out the UV rays of the oncoming light's doppler shift like those yellow lensed sunglasses. ;)

Solomoriah
07-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Transparent aluminum may actually be possible... I've been reading some interesting articles. Seems the military is testing a new armored windshield material made mostly from aluminum. Expensive as heck, but hey, it's the military...

I prefer to assume that starships will depend on warping space, and thus the cockpit windscreen is used only for landing and/or docking maneuvers. In fact, since we're talking science fiction, I'll note that I've worked on a science fiction role-playing game for some time now called StarQuest; the ships in that rulesystem have a very good reason for being long and more or less cylindrical (which is convenient if you want to make a model rocket design to resemble one).

I think the most logical place for the bridge or cockpit area is near the rear of the ship, actually, so it's not such a long run to the engine room. I mean, why put them so far apart? Stick the crew quarters (in a larger vessel) up in the front section, with the Captain's quarters and VOQ in the nose (thus getting the best views).

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
If you decide on a hypothetically transparent material, maybe the color of it might act like a filter to block out the UV rays of the oncoming light's doppler shift like those yellow lensed sunglasses. ;)

Yeah, a spaceship for the elderly with those full coverage Blue Blocker shades. :D

marslndr
07-11-2006, 09:32 PM
I like the General products hull.

But if you assume a FTL ship, you asasume not normal space, and you can make up your own rules.

Near light speed you will need some form of deflector shield, so structural integrity should not be a problem.

Star trek had it both ways, no windows on the bridge, but windows elswhere.

Mark

a sci fi geek

tbzep
07-11-2006, 09:38 PM
I like the General products hull.

But if you assume a FTL ship, you asasume not normal space, and you can make up your own rules.

Near light speed you will need some form of deflector shield, so structural integrity should not be a problem.

Star trek had it both ways, no windows on the bridge, but windows elswhere.

Mark

a sci fi geek

They should have made the bridge dome transparent. Nah...the crew would see what was shooting at them and get distracted.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-11-2006, 09:53 PM
They should have made the bridge dome transparent. Nah...the crew would see what was shooting at them and get distracted.

"Great shot, kid! Don't get cocky!"

marslndr
07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
In TNG the bridge dome was transparent.

Ltvscout
07-11-2006, 10:16 PM
"Great shot, kid! Don't get cocky!"
Said Han Solo to Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Said Han Solo to Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars.

I figured that went without saying. ;)

Ltvscout
07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I figured that went without saying. ;)
Ya, I guess most of us geeks probably got that. ;)

tbzep
07-11-2006, 10:43 PM
In TNG the bridge dome was transparent.

I thought it was translucent. :confused:

marslndr
07-13-2006, 08:59 AM
You could be right, now I'll have to dig out the DVD season 1 set and look!

I seem to remember the last time I was on the D bridge seeing star tracks flowing across the dome :) !

Solomoriah
07-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I recall it as a transparent window also.

Also found this while looking:

http://forums.filefront.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41976&d=1132164728

Hopefully that shows for you all. It'd make a cool rocket design. I found it here:

http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?p=2679215

Bunch of people who can't type or spell... but some cool starship designs.