PDA

View Full Version : New magazine devoted to model rocket history, etc.

msm0202
07-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Hi all. Although I'm still new to this site, I've been reading "over your shoulders" for quite a while. Excellent site, and my hat's off to Scott Hansen and company for raising the standards of what websites can do for model rocketry. I wanted to inform you that we are launching a new, full-color, glossy magazine at NARAM-48 that will cover model rocket history in detail. The magazine is appropriately called LAUNCH and it will be published six times per year. The first issue will be available exclusively at NARAM and then to everyone else immediately afterward. We are also a sponsor at NARAM (we had asked Matt Steele to keep it quiet until now. We're the vendor he mentions that will be announced on site, but we all agreed we would go ahead and announce it this week.)

We will also have an online component that is up and running as of today (launchmagonline.com), but we will be adding much more to it in the days ahead.

The first issue of LAUNCH will be 56 pages and includes a 6,500-word Q and A-style interview with Vern and Gleda Estes, a 4,500-word conversation between Lee Piester and Matt Steele and a 3,000-word story on Orville Carlisle, Rock-A-Chute, G. Harry Stine and Model Missiles, all with historic photography. (Vern and Gleda, for instance, go into more detail than ever on their personal financial deal with Damon Corp., among other very interesting observations.)

LAUNCH will also cover current events in rocketry as well (and you can read more about that in a posting on the vendors section later today).

And not that you asked, but just in case you're wondering: I'm Mark Mayfield, a model rocketeer since 1968, former editor of several national home design magazines (House Beautiful, Traditional Home, Southern Accents) and a member of the original start-up staff of USA Today. I'm also an avid collector of vintage model rockets and publications, and I've met some of you through that endeavor over the years. Also like some of you, I have been a member of the NAR off and on for 30 years and recently joined again.

Sorry for the long post here but I wanted you to know about the new magazine's emphasis on vintage rocketry, and I encourage any of you who would like to contribute ideas, articles or photos to future issues to contact me. And just as an fyi, we don't consider ourselves a competitor to Sport Rocketry: In fact, we're both running ads in the other's magazines in the September/October issues, and as I said earlier, we're a sponsor at NARAM and fully support NAR.

Cheers,
Mark

Chas Russell
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Mark,

This is wonderful news! Best of luck with your endevour. I am looking forward to seeing you at NARAM. Matt held the secret closely - not even telling his teammates. If you are publishing one month off of Sports Rocketry, then we could get a monthly rocketry magazine fix.

Chas
NAR 9790

msm0202
07-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Chas,
That's a great observation about the alternate monthly schedule between the two magazines. Even though both have the same cover dates, LAUNCH will generally be published two to three weeks ahead of the calendar date—so hopefully it will be like having alternate months for each. The rush to produce our first issue in time for NARAM sort of dictated that. And now I'm glad we did it that way. See you in Phoenix.
Mark

tbzep
07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Cool!

SEL
07-11-2006, 03:47 PM
And not that you asked, but just in case you're wondering: I'm Mark Mayfield, a model rocketeer since 1968, former editor of several national home design magazines (House Beautiful, Traditional Home, Southern Accents) and a member of the original start-up staff of USA Today. I'm also an avid collector of vintage model rockets and publications, and I've met some of you through that endeavor over the years. Also like some of you, I have been a member of the NAR off and on for 30 years and recently joined again.
Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm in. You may or may not remember me from the postal auction days (late 80's/early '90's). I think we spoke on the phone once or twice, and I'm pretty sure I bought a few things from you. (How's THAT for crystal clear memory!!). Anyway, after seeing that it was you heading up this project, I have no reservations about signing on. Good luck and thanks.

Sean

msm0202
07-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Sean,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I definitely remember speaking with you. Those postal auctions were so interesting, in the days before Ebay and the internet. I remember buying hundreds of old kits at a hobby shop warehouse in Birmingham, and driving them over to Atlanta in my Ford Pinto—and then selling so many of them. Gosh, I remember having about 15 or 20 Interceptors... Wow, if I only had them now...

We're going to have a lot of fun with LAUNCH, and it has been really gratifying to spend so much time lately discussing the heyday of model rocketry with Vern and Gleda Estes, for example. Our offices are actually in the Empire State Building here in New York, and it was so cool to do some photography up here with model rocket kits, high above Manhattan. Come see us!

Mark

Tau Zero
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I wanted to inform you that we are launching a new, full-color, glossy magazine at NARAM-48 that will cover model rocket history in detail. The magazine is appropriately called LAUNCH and it will be published six times per year. The first issue will be available exclusively at NARAM and then to everyone else immediately afterward.

The first issue of LAUNCH will be 56 pages and includes a 6,500-word Q and A-style interview with Vern and Gleda Estes, a 4,500-word conversation between Lee Piester and Matt Steele and a 3,000-word story on Orville Carlisle, Rock-A-Chute, G. Harry Stine and Model Missiles, all with historic photography. (Vern and Gleda, for instance, go into more detail than ever on their personal financial deal with Damon Corp., among other very interesting observations.)Well, so much for my plans to buy seasons 1 and 2 of "The 4400" on DVD. (heavy sigh, mock disgust) Thanks a *lot,* Mark. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Seriously, welcome to the forum! Your magazine sounds great, and I don't think I'd forgive myself if I missed such an incredible first issue.

As a TV reporter/cameraman/video editor, I'm not usually at a loss for words. Unfortunately, right now that's the case when it comes to LAUNCH!

Thanks, good luck, and cheers,

Ltvscout
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi all. Although I'm still new to this site, I've been reading "over your shoulders" for quite a while. Excellent site, and my hat's off to Scott Hansen and company for raising the standards of what websites can do for model rocketry. I wanted to inform you that we are launching a new, full-color, glossy magazine at NARAM-48 that will cover model rocket history in detail. The magazine is appropriately called LAUNCH and it will be published six times per year. The first issue will be available exclusively at NARAM and then to everyone else immediately afterward. We are also a sponsor at NARAM (we had asked Matt Steele to keep it quiet until now. We're the vendor he mentions that will be announced on site, but we all agreed we would go ahead and announce it this week.)
Thanks, Mark. I've made your announcement message a sticky so it stays on top.

Boy, it was all I could do to keep Mark's new magazine a secret. :D He had let me in on it back at the end of May.

I'll be heading over to your website to order my subscription. Thanks for putting forth the time, effort and money to put out this publication!

barone
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
The first issue of LAUNCH will be 56 pages and includes .........

Mark,

Just subscribed......will the NARAM issue be the first one I get? If I'm understanding right, it'll first appear at NARAM and the rest of us who can't make it to Arizona or don't want to be in the heat or wifes will divorce them if they go, will get it in September? I have to read my rocket instructions twice before I start and twice again as I'm building...... :o

Don
NAR 53455

Phred
07-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Mark,

I just took out a two year subscription. Model Rocket History is a favorite subject of mine, and I look forward to my first issue!!

Phred

marslndr
07-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi Mark,

I just took out a year subscription! Thanks, can't wait to read it in Sept.

Mark

Vanel
07-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Moi aussi - looks like some mighty good reading!

Imagine - a magazine that will be mostly LPR! :eek:

msm0202
07-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I have to say, the response today has been wonderful. Thanks to everyone. And it's very true that Scott has been keeping this secret since May. (Thanks, Scott, and thanks now for helping us get the word out.)

And just a couple of notes: Jay, I bet I've read your Sport Rocketry story on Lee Piester at least 10 times. In fact, as Matt Steele and I were consulting on questions we had to include in the interview with Lee, I kept going back to your article. I've also looked over Terry Dean's model rocketry history timeline post here . I even cross-checked some dates in our articles against that timeline. (Terry, the check's in the mail.... ha)

And finally, to answer Don's question: Yes, the first issue that subscribers receive will be the premier issue, the one we'll debut at NARAM. It will be mailed to subscribers on Monday, August 7, immediately following NARAM, so hopefully you should receive it later that week. (If you can't wait, you can always find someone heading to NARAM and get 'em to pick up an extra issue for you.) We mentioned in some of our materials that it will be available nationally on September 1, but that generally refers to selected hobby shops, newsstands, etc. Subscribers will already have it. Whew!
Mark

Tau Zero
07-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Jay, I bet I've read your Sport Rocketry story on Lee Piester at least 10 times. In fact, as Matt Steele and I were consulting on questions we had to include in the interview with Lee, I kept going back to your article.Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. Those 3300 words on 6 pages were mostly the result of a 20-minute interview with Lee on Memorial Day Weekend 4 years ago. After spending time with him and Betty during NARCON 2006 (and a few phone calls with Betty beforehand), I came to the realization that I should have interviewed *both of them TOGETHER,* because their collective memories help fill in all the blanks. :D

You can imagine how I felt when Lee said that while he was preparing his talk for NARCON, he consulted my article to get a feel for the chronological order of things. :eek: :cool: After I introduced him just before his talk, he told me "Thanks for getting everything *mostly* right in that article." :D (Some of the timeline is off, and Lee sold Centuri in 1971, instead of '72. Both Lee and Betty said it was 18 months after Vern sold Estes on September 27, 1969. [Date courtesy Mike Maurer.] We had difficulty nailing some of the events down. I accept full responsibility.)

So thanks again!

(sly look) I'm sure you'll be posting your submission guidelines, no doubt. (innocent look)

Cheers,

Leo
07-12-2006, 06:52 AM
How can I get the subscription to Germany?

msm0202
07-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Jay,
The article was excellent and I think Lee considers it his return to model rocketry. It's one of the first things he mentioned when I first called him about the LAUNCH story. I had already read your story several times by then. :)

And you'll see from his comments with Matt for LAUNCH that he was completely knocked out and thrilled by the reception at NARCON. I wish I had been there. And you're right about Betty's involvement in helping to start Centuri, etc.. (Just as Gleda did with Estes Industries. In our article, she discusses working the night shift. Pretty wild.)

As for submissions guidelines, they go something like this: "Send us a good story!!" (But we'll post guidelines soon on the website, and probably here, too.)

Mark

msm0202
07-12-2006, 07:18 AM
And to answer Leo's question: We're working on posting the international subscription details. Just trying to get answers from the U.S. Postal Service regarding intl. mailing rates. We should have it posted on the website within a day or two.
Mark

Chas Russell
07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Mark,

Since the magazine is looking at modroc history, I trust you have Danny Sagsetter's Rocketeer Collector's Journal. It is a good resource.
I subscribed last night. Looking forward to talking with you at NARAM.

Chas
Charles Russell

JRThro
07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Jay,
The article was excellent and I think Lee considers it his return to model rocketry. It's one of the first things he mentioned when I first called him about the LAUNCH story.Jay,

How cool is *that*??
:)

msm0202
07-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Mark,

Since the magazine is looking at modroc history, I trust you have Danny Sagsetter's Rocketeer Collector's Journal. It is a good resource.
I subscribed last night. Looking forward to talking with you at NARAM.

Chas
Charles Russell

Chas,

Thanks for subscribing! And yes, I do have Danny's Journal, and in fact, we're publishing a photo of several of his covers with a note thanking him for inspiring some of the things we'll be doing with LAUNCH. It was an excellent journal and my old copies are dog-eared now because I've referred to them so often. (People on the Metro North trains in New York are used to seeing me thumbing through those journals on my way back-and-forth from work. )

Mark

Tau Zero
07-12-2006, 09:11 PM
The article was excellent and I think Lee considers it his return to model rocketry. (Emphasis added) It's one of the first things he mentioned when I first called him about the LAUNCH story. How cool is *that*?? :)If there was an entry for me in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy right now, it would read,

"Jay Goemmer: Mostly speechless." :p

(I'm so excited I've got goosebumps. --In other other words, "That's stinkin' *cool.*" :D )

And you'll see from his comments with Matt for LAUNCH that he was completely knocked out and thrilled by the reception at NARCON.Some of us (I'll speak for just myself now) were a little nervous that Lee might not be able to pull himself away from his businesses, because he's a *very* busy guy. But *lots* of us were *very* happy that he and Betty were able to come to NARCON this year. It was a big thrill for us, too! :D :cool:

Cheers,

PaulK
07-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Cool, I look forward to seeing this mag. Just put in for a 1 yr subscription. Thanks Mark!

-Paul

snuggles
07-13-2006, 01:39 PM
I put in for a years subscription as well. Looking forward to it.
Mark T

John Dyer
07-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Sean,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I definitely remember speaking with you. Those postal auctions were so interesting, in the days before Ebay and the internet. I remember buying hundreds of old kits at a hobby shop warehouse in Birmingham, and driving them over to Atlanta in my Ford Pinto—and then selling so many of them. Gosh, I remember having about 15 or 20 Interceptors... Wow, if I only had them now...

We're going to have a lot of fun with LAUNCH, and it has been really gratifying to spend so much time lately discussing the heyday of model rocketry with Vern and Gleda Estes, for example. Our offices are actually in the Empire State Building here in New York, and it was so cool to do some photography up here with model rocket kits, high above Manhattan. Come see us!

Mark

COOL BEANS!!!!!
I can't wait to see the first issue. Best of luck with the launch of Launch! I look forwards to seeing you at NARAM.

John
----------
John Dyer
www.redriverrocketry.com

msm0202
07-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks, John. I've got "launch fever" in NYC right now, and can't wait to get to Arizona, even if it's 115 in the shade. Great job with Red River Rocketry. I'm looking forward to seeing you at NARAM.
Thanks again,
Mark

John Dyer
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks, John. I've got "launch fever" in NYC right now, and can't wait to get to Arizona, even if it's 115 in the shade. Great job with Red River Rocketry. I'm looking forward to seeing you at NARAM.
Thanks again,
Mark

Yeah, but it's a dry heat :p

Thanks for the compliment on RRR... I look forwards to meeting you!

John

Tau Zero
07-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, so much for my plans to buy seasons 1 and 2 of "The 4400" on DVD.It looks like they're going on my Christmas and birthday wish lists. :( :rolleyes:

I just jumped through the necessary hoops to transfer money from my checking account to PayPal. Now I have to wait 3 or 4 days for the transaction to clear, but Mark, I'm signing up for a one-year subscription. (Only because I used the rest of the overtime I made working the 4th of July to place a much-needed order to Semroc for my ongoing Tau Zero experiment. ;) )

I guess that means I'm committed to LAUNCH now. :eek: :cool:

Thanks and cheers,

Leo
07-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Ok, I just put in for a years subscription to Germany.

Hope the magazine gets packed well and arrives in one piece.

msm0202
07-20-2006, 08:09 AM
It looks like they're going on my Christmas and birthday wish lists. :( :rolleyes:

I just jumped through the necessary hoops to transfer money from my checking account to PayPal. Now I have to wait 3 or 4 days for the transaction to clear, but Mark, I'm signing up for a one-year subscription. (Only because I used the rest of the overtime I made working the 4th of July to place a much-needed order to Semroc for my ongoing Tau Zero experiment. ;) )

Thanks and cheers,

Jay,
I know how it is to run through those PayPal hoops. But I'm very glad you're signing up for a subscription because the first issue is full of Centuri stuff and it would be a crime if you didn't have a copy. Of course, something tells me that I would have made sure you had one anyway. :)

As for Tau Zero, it sounds like a good LAUNCH story to me....

Mark

msm0202
07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Ok, I just put in for a years subscription to Germany.

Hope the magazine gets packed well and arrives in one piece.

Leo,
Glad LAUNCH will be read in Germany. And let me know if there are any hobby shops nearby that would like to stock the mag in their store. Great rocket collection on your site, and whew, those BMWs are great-looking. Now, that's what I call traveling to the launch site in style!
Mark

Tau Zero
07-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I know how it is to run through those PayPal hoops. But I'm very glad you're signing up for a subscription because the first issue is full of Centuri stuff and it would be a crime if you didn't have a copy. Of course, something tells me that I would have made sure you had one anyway. :) (heavy metal hand signal) "*Dude!* You freakin' *rock!*" (Sorry. I must have watched *way* too much of VH1 during May's "Heavy Metal" month. :rolleyes: ;) )

As for Tau Zero, it sounds like a good LAUNCH story to me...I've been wondering that very thing. Let me get the EMRR review and the instruction sheet done. (Oof. Then there's the SLS version. :eek: )

Thanks yet again,

John Dyer
07-20-2006, 02:33 PM
It looks like they're going on my Christmas and birthday wish lists. :( :rolleyes:

Thanks and cheers,

Ya mean I actually subscribed before you?!?!!? The woild must be off - kilter... Dogs and Cats living together... :D

Now, If Nina can just get the add out the door today for the first copy... Life will be good :p

Tau Zero
07-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Ya mean I actually subscribed before you?!?!!? The woild must be off - kilter... Dogs and Cats living together... :D At our house we have a Rule. It's called "There Must Be Real Money in the Bank Before We Can Spend It." (No, I didn't make it up, but I've learned to co-exist with it peacefully.) ;)

So I had to wait to deposit my check that had my overtime from the 4th of July before I could Plunk My Virtual Cash Down. (If you Get What I Mean.) :rolleyes:

Now, If Nina can just get the add out the door today for the first copy... Life will be good :p :D So good luck with that! :D

Cheers,

JRThro
07-20-2006, 09:39 PM

I just jumped through the necessary hoops to transfer money from my checking account to PayPal. Now I have to wait 3 or 4 days for the transaction to clear...
Jay, I don't remember how I did it when I set up my Paypal account, but when I pay for something via Paypal, it automatically and immediately transfers money from my checking account to Paypal to make the payment.

JRThro
07-20-2006, 09:41 PM
At our house we have a Rule. It's called "There Must Be Real Money in the Bank Before We Can Spend It." (No, I didn't make it up, but I've learned to co-exist with it peacefully.) ;)
We don't have that Rule at my house, but we really ought to a lot of times. My wife and I both have a hard time with delaying gratification even thought we know it's to our detriment.

Of course, if I couldn't spend money I didn't have, I couldn't have come to NARCON 2006!
;) :eek:

Tau Zero
07-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Jay, I don't remember how I did it when I set up my Paypal account, but when I pay for something via Paypal, it automatically and immediately transfers money from my checking account to Paypal to make the payment.It's been so long since I've done it that I didn't remember until you mentioned it. I think the option is called an "e-check." :o :( :mad: (I coulda paid Mark quicker!)

Cheers,

JRThro
07-21-2006, 07:58 AM
It's been so long since I've done it that I didn't remember until you mentioned it. I think the option is called an "e-check." :o :( :mad: (I coulda paid Mark quicker!)

Cheers,
Until I bought the PDR Trident, and then the subscription to "Launch," I didn't remember what would happen as far as how and when the money would be transferred. I hardly ever use Paypal.

ccoffin
07-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Mark,

Is it too late to subscribe and still receive the first issue? If not, how much longer can one wait?

Chris

John Dyer
07-21-2006, 08:50 AM
At our house we have a Rule. It's called "There Must Be Real Money in the Bank Before We Can Spend It." (No, I didn't make it up, but I've learned to co-exist with it peacefully.) ;)

So I had to wait to deposit my check that had my overtime from the 4th of July before I could Plunk My Virtual Cash Down. (If you Get What I Mean.) :rolleyes:

:D So good luck with that! :D

Cheers,

Excellent rule. :)

snuggles
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
I happen to think PayPal is a rocketeers dream.
My better half seems to disagree though.
My latest deal.......
Sheri's Hot Rockets Little Joe.
Excellent customer service. Great looking kit.
Can't wait to start it.
Mark T

msm0202
07-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Mark,

Is it too late to subscribe and still receive the first issue? If not, how much longer can one wait?

Chris

Chris,
It's not too late to get the first issue with a subscription order. So by all means, order now and we'll start your subscription with the premier issue. Of course it's a limited time offer. Do I sound an infomercial here? :) If only I had ordered that Ronco pocket fisherman back then...

Hey, thanks for asking about the issue! It's on press right now.

Best,
Mark

jpasqual
07-25-2006, 07:31 AM
I just subscribed - I'm looking forward to see what your magazine has in store for us

tbzep
07-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Another subscription here.

Tau Zero
07-25-2006, 09:46 PM
I just jumped through the necessary hoops to transfer money from my checking account to PayPal. Now I have to wait 3 or 4 days for the transaction to clear, but Mark, I'm signing up for a one-year subscription.I just got the following e-mail:

"The electronic funds transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account... has been completed. The funds are now reflected in your PayPal account balance."

So I'm off to armwrestle my PayPal account. :rolleyes: Wish me luck. :eek:

I guess that means I'm committed to LAUNCH now.And I'm a little disappointed that my terrible, awful aerospace pun apparently slipped by everybody. I guess the joke was too far "inside." :confused: (Consider the source. :eek: :rolleyes: )

Cheers,

Rocketaholic
07-25-2006, 09:55 PM
I look forward to sending my $$$ for a subscription.

Tau Zero
07-25-2006, 09:58 PM
So I'm off to armwrestle my PayPal account. :rolleyes: Wish me luck.(Redneck voice) "I tell you, I got 'er done, right there!"

Which is an interesting voice to use, since I just sent money to Mark in...

(Pace [TM] Picante salsa commercial) "...New York *City?!*"

Chuckling,

JRThro
07-26-2006, 08:37 AM
And I'm a little disappointed that my terrible, awful aerospace pun apparently slipped by everybody. I guess the joke was too far "inside." :confused: (Consider the source. :eek: :rolleyes: )

Cheers,
Jay, I don't think it was too inside, though it might have been a little too highbrow for this crowd.
;) :rolleyes: :D

Leo
07-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Leo,
Glad LAUNCH will be read in Germany. And let me know if there are any hobby shops nearby that would like to stock the mag in their store. Great rocket collection on your site, and whew, those BMWs are great-looking. Now, that's what I call traveling to the launch site in style!
Mark

Well, I can try but I'm quiet certain the chances are extremely slim due to language barriers.

Thanks for the comments. I do enjoy my cars :)

Green Dragon
07-29-2006, 04:30 PM
just sent for my 'introductory issue' ( hopefully sent out after return from NARAM ), and hopefully not too late to be the premier issue .....

looking forward to a good rocketry mag, not sure how Spaort Rocketry is looking these days ( I need to resubscribe, I think. as my membership lapsed a while back ), but lack of any good rocketry magazines has certainly hurt the hobby in part, due to lack of exposure, plus burnout ( pin only slightly intended) by builders and fliers - I know I need my monthly, or bi-monthly shot in the arm to keep me going .

( and thanks to this forum and the old rockets elist for taking up the slack in 'motivational therapy ' )

~ AL

Royatl
07-30-2006, 11:20 AM
just sent for my 'introductory issue' ( hopefully sent out after return from NARAM ), and hopefully not too late to be the premier issue .....

looking forward to a good rocketry mag, not sure how Spaort Rocketry is looking these days ( I need to resubscribe, I think. as my membership lapsed a while back ), but lack of any good rocketry magazines has certainly hurt the hobby in part, due to lack of exposure, plus burnout ( pin only slightly intended) by builders and fliers - I know I need my monthly, or bi-monthly shot in the arm to keep me going .

( and thanks to this forum and the old rockets elist for taking up the slack in 'motivational therapy ' )

~ AL

Sport Rocketry and Extreme Rocketry are both excellent-looking magazines. The new Tripoli mag, Rockets, I haven't seen an actual dead-tree edition. What I see of the sample PDF files on line, looks a little bit better than early 90's High Power Rocketry Magazine.

ccoffin
07-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Chris,
It's not too late to get the first issue with a subscription order. So by all means, order now and we'll start your subscription with the premier issue. Of course it's a limited time offer. Do I sound an infomercial here? :) If only I had ordered that Ronco pocket fisherman back then...

Best,
Mark

I am committed as of last night :-)

Green Dragon
07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Sport Rocketry and Extreme Rocketry are both excellent-looking magazines. The new Tripoli mag, Rockets, I haven't seen an actual dead-tree edition. What I see of the sample PDF files on line, looks a little bit better than early 90's High Power Rocketry Magazine.

I have not seen a Sport Rocketry in a couple of years ( let my NAR memership expire when I was out of work for over a year , kept my TRA so I did not lose my certifications, but had to let one go, just have not gotten around to sending in my NAR application again, should do that sometime )

Extreme Rocketry is a nice mag but will leave off my personal opinions about the owner.

the new ' Rockets' mag looks greast, I only have the #2 issue, but very high level work, by some long-time east coast rocketeers, so lets see where it goes.

Even though I;m an easterner, I'd hate to see the same regional bias as Extreme has - looking forward to seeing how it goes.

What we really need is for any of the above to get a newstand / national distribution like HPR had for a while - I;ve spoken to many BARs that got hooked after seeing a mag on the shelf and doing a double-take.

~ AL

JRThro
07-30-2006, 09:18 PM
I am committed as of last night :-)
You *should* be!

Um, wait, that didn't come out right...
;) :D

Tau Zero
07-30-2006, 10:03 PM
You *should* be!

;) :DWelcome to the party. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :p

Cheers,

JRThro
07-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the party. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :p

Cheers,
Jay,

Chris and I belong to the same club in Houston, so I thought making that comment would be okay.
;)

Bruce Temple
08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Looking foward to getting the Premire issue in my hands too!

Cheers, Bruce

snaquin
08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Chris,

Best,
Mark

Mark

I sent a subscription order to you tonight. Also looking forward to starting with the premier issue!

Thanks,

Carl@Semroc
08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Launch magazine is great! I am not too easily impressed, but the magazine, Mark, and Deb were very well received at NARAM.

When Mark gave Lee one of his two Little Joe II 1/45 kits, I knew he shared my love for the "Giants" and the history of our sport.

The interviews with Vern, Gleda, and Lee were super! Upon the third re-reading of the magazine, I realized that I had not perused any written material that much since the days of Model Rocketry Magazine.

If you have not subscribed yet, you better hurry! You do not want to miss the Premier issue.

John Dyer
08-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Launch magazine is great! I am not too easily impressed, but the magazine, Mark, and Deb were very well received at NARAM.

When Mark gave Lee one of his two Little Joe II 1/45 kits, I knew he shared my love for the "Giants" and the history of our sport.

The interviews with Vern, Gleda, and Lee were super! Upon the third re-reading of the magazine, I realized that I had not perused any written material that much since the days of Model Rocketry Magazine.

If you have not subscribed yet, you better hurry! You do not want to miss the Premier issue.

I concur! This is a quality magazine that is sure to be an instant hit and collectible! Don't miss out!

John

marslndr
08-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Just woundering, has the first issue been mailed yet?

Mark

msm0202
08-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Carl and John,

Thanks a million for the kind comments about LAUNCH. We're trying to produce a magazine at the same level of quality as the kits from your companies, and that's a tall order. But we're happy with the result—and we're already at work on the second issue. (It was great to see both of you at NARAM.)

And to answer Mark's question: All subscribers should receive their issue by week's end or early next week. We ran a few days behind my announced mail date of August 7 and here's why: We did two press runs, a rush order for NARAM and a second, much larger run for subscribers and stores. (Normally we'll have just one print run.) But we decided at the last minute that we'd make a couple of changes on the subscription run to further improve the quality, such as rescanning a couple of images for clarity, making a couple of color corrections, and improving the readability of some type. And—we added in a couple of bonus pages, as you'll see. This is the only Premier Issue we'll ever get the chance to do for LAUNCH, so we couldn't help but try and perfect it. It's all done now, and on its way.

I did promise before we made the changes that subscribers would receive the same issue available at NARAM. That's still essentially true, it's the premier issue, except better. :) But some of you are collectors who may want a NARAM copy. So we're going to make it available to all subscribers as long as the supplies last. We printed more than we needed at NARAM. Just send a note with the subject line: "NARAM issue" to info@launchmagonline.com, and we'll send it to you. No need to send your address because we'll have it if you're a subscriber. Just make sure you sign your email with the same name as we have for your subscription. (And if you haven't yet subscribed, pls do so now, and then send us a note if you, too, would like the NARAM copy in addition to the premier issue subscription copy.)

The NARAM copy will arrive a few days after your subscription copy. (This is at our expense as a gift to charter subscribers--again, so long as the NARAM issues last.)

All stores, newsstands are receiving the same as subscribers.

Our second issue (November/December) will be mailed in mid-October and should arrive in your mailbox at least a week ahead of the cover date.

Thanks,
Mark

conleyt
08-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Mark,

I just emailed my request for the NARAM issue. I have a couple of questions......when will the hats ship, and are you planning to offer t-shirts? Oh yeah, could you please offer your shirts in XXL? :)

Thanks,
Tom C.

msm0202
08-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Mark,

I just emailed my request for the NARAM issue. I have a couple of questions......when will the hats ship, and are you planning to offer t-shirts? Oh yeah, could you please offer your shirts in XXL? :)

Thanks,
Tom C.

Hi Tom. We have been shipping hats regularly since we've been taking orders, but I'll double check on yours right now. And yes, we do plan to sell T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. as we get ramped up to full speed this fall. The T-shirts should be available very soon.

As for the XXL polo shirts, we are working on that option. Our supplier charges us more as the size goes from XL to XXL, so we're trying to figure out a way to do it without having to charge more for them. But look for that size option on the website any day now. And in the meantime, just an fyi to everyone that the sizes we are currently offering (small through XL) tend to run larger in fit than usual, which is good. These are very high quality shirts, as are the hats.

Mark

ccoffin
08-16-2006, 09:59 PM
You *should* be!

;) :D

Yes you are likely right... though i did hold back from buying some of the sale kits at Hobby Lobby today. Maybe there is hope :-).

ccoffin
08-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Mark,

Just sent you an email for the NARAM Issue. The subscription might be under my wife's name and email. If you can, please change it to me :-).

ccoffin
08-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Speaking of MR mags and history, i picked up a near complete set of American Spacemodeling and Sport Rocketry on Ebay a few months back. I'm only missing American Spacemodeling May-Sept '86. Hopefully John Pursley can dig up May-Sept 86 of American Spacemodeling for me :-).

I have been reading the issues in dated order cover-to-cover non-stop since i recieved them and I'm currently on the May 90 issue. Noteworthy stuff to this point has been some of the great scale data, especially the three part (i think it may have more parts later) Saturn V data. The Manufacts section has had some interesting anouncements regarding the sale of Estes, introduction of the Aerotech kits, and some NCR GSE. I also found (i think it was in an 88 issue) an announcement for the establishment of John and I's Challenger section.

If anybody has any articles they want me to lookup, let me know. I think the NAR website has an article list that goes back quite a ways. I also have quite a few duplicate Sport Rocketry mags. Haven't gotten the urge to post them on Ebay yet :-).

ghrocketman
08-17-2006, 09:17 AM
New York City ???

GIT A ROPE !

conleyt
08-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi Tom. We have been shipping hats regularly since we've been taking orders, but I'll double check on yours right now...........

Mark

I wanted to tell all of you about the great customer service I received from Mark. When he checked on my hat he found that they had the order, but for some reason it had never shipped. So, they shipped it out overnight. You can't ask for better problem resolution than that! :)

Tom C.

sandman
08-17-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm still waiting for my magazine.

JRThro
08-17-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm still waiting for my magazine.
Me too, but since it's not "week's end or early next week" yet, I'm not too worried.

Tau Zero
08-17-2006, 11:55 PM
All subscribers should receive their issue by week's end or early next week. We ran a few days behind my announced mail date of August 7 and here's why: We did two press runs, a rush order for NARAM and a second, much larger run for subscribers and stores.I'm still waiting for my magazine.From everything I can tell, it'll be *well* worth the wait. :D ;)

Your only problem will be the temptation to stay up all night and read the whole thing from cover to cover. :eek: :rolleyes:

(Of course, that's not a problem for Bill E., who'll be up all night anyway, so... [shrug]) ;)

Cheers,

jflis
08-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Well, I will tell you, it is the first time in a LONG time that I have read a magazine cover to cover..

good stuff :)

jim

Bob H
08-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I got my premier issue of LAUNCH today. Great presentation and I loved the interviews and the early history of model rocketry.

The only thing I can find fault with is that I'm going to have to wait 2 months for the next issue.

I guess I'll have to go back and read this one again.

Tau Zero
08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
I got my premier issue of LAUNCH today. Great presentation and I loved the interviews and the early history of model rocketry.From everything I can tell, it'll be *well* worth the wait.And indeed it was! I was *very* impressed that Mark and crew made it a point to send the Post-NARAM issue in a substantial white envelope, which kept the cover and the whole magazine in *excellent* condition! :cool:

(That's ten thumbs up out of a possible two. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D )

I kept wondering to myself, "Hey, where's the Extra Stuff?" (For those of you who can't wait, it's on pages 54 and 55.) And I'm looking forward to full NARAM-48 coverage next issue!

Kudos, Mark, to you and to everybody else who even *remotely* had anything to do with this issue of LAUNCH!

Cheers, as always,

Bruce Temple
08-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Very Very Nice! I hope to see even bigger things to come from this magazine. I really like the hobby history, and hope it will continue. Some focus on collecting as well. Just my two cents.

Cheers, Bruce

JRThro
08-22-2006, 07:00 AM
I received my premiere issue yesterday, and I have deliberately *not* read it yet, because I'm going out of town for a few days for work, and I want to read it on the plane this afternoon. I'm really looking forward to it.

snuggles
08-22-2006, 02:56 PM
EXCELLENT MAGAZINE!!!!!!!
I agree it's going to be tough to wait for the next issue.
Mark T

DeanHFox
08-24-2006, 11:15 PM
The premiere issue of LAUNCH is one of the best model rocketry magazines I've ever read. I'm REALLY glad I subscribed!

But I noticed something very odd...and maybe everyone else already knows the reason for this...but I haven't heard a peep out of anyone else about this...so, being just that kind of "muckraking guy" that I am, here goes:

Where is the ad purchased by Estes?

OK, I hear some of you saying, "Heck, a huge part of the magazine is COVERING Estes, so why would they bother to buy space in it, too?"

But it really bugged me. I can't believe that Estes couldn't buy even a lousy little fractional-page ad. Geez, I'm not a marketing guru, but even *I* can see the obvious connection..."A legacy of serving the model rocket community...yesterday, today, and tomorrow. If you thought we were great THEN, wait until you see what's coming next!" - kind of thing.

I've listened quietly over the years as posters on various forums have bashed Estes as nothing more than a toy company, and how they really don't give a rats about the customers they "created" back in the 60's and 70's. I have to confess that I wrote some of that off to sour grapes, and some of it to "times change, companies, too, so get over it"...but the total lack of any Estes support for LAUNCH...well, I found it a little depressing, and, to be honest, it seems to support the "Estes just doesn't give a damn about the hobbyist any more" mentality (after all, LAUNCH isn't on sale at Wal-Mart, and I'm willing to bet the majority of the LAUNCH readership are hobbyists in one way or another).

I just want to say a hearty "Thank You!" to all the other companies that DID support LAUNCH with their advertising dollars, and continue to support the rocketry hobbyist...you know who they are!

Not looking to ignite any Estes bashing or flame wars, folks...just seemed odd and I wanted to get it off my chest. Maybe Mark will check in and correct my misperception...or maybe not. I guess we'll have to see. :)

(and although I said it once, it bears repeating...LAUNCH just rocks! Great job, all of ya!)

Carl@Semroc
08-25-2006, 11:08 PM
The premiere issue of LAUNCH is one of the best model rocketry magazines I've ever read. I'm REALLY glad I subscribed!I agree.

I hesitate to step into this, but....

OK, I hear some of you saying, "Heck, a huge part of the magazine is COVERING Estes, so why would they bother to buy space in it, too?"Remember, Vern and Gleda Estes are not the same as Estes Industries.

I just want to say a hearty "Thank You!" to all the other companies that DID support LAUNCH with their advertising dollars, and continue to support the rocketry hobbyist...you know who they are!We echo that thanks to the early and future advertisers, subscribers, and supporters of LAUNCH. We want it to be around for a long time!

Leo
08-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Tis Saturday morning in good old but rainy Germany and FINALLY... at last, my issue has arrived :)

Is was getting restless because so much of the first issue has been talked about.

http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/Launch_Mag.jpg

John Dyer
08-26-2006, 08:21 AM
I agree.

I hesitate to step into this, but....

Remember, Vern and Gleda Estes are not the same as Estes Industries.

We echo that thanks to the early and future advertisers, subscribers, and supporters of LAUNCH. We want it to be around for a long time!

I have to agree... The Estes of today bears little resemblence to the Estes Vern and Gleda worked so hard to build and that we know and love.

Nina was in Ad Design for years (creating Magazine ads, vacation Catalogs, etc). The first time she looked at a copy of Launch she said "now THATS a magazine!"

The professional and clean design rivals or beats any magazine you can find in the bookstore...

Kudos to Mark, Deb, and the rest of the Crew!

John

DeanHFox
08-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Remember, Vern and Gleda Estes are not the same as Estes Industries.
I wholeheartedly agree, and the lack of Estes Industries involvement with LAUNCH (and Vern & Gleda's wholehearted involvement) would certainly seem to emphasize your point. :)

sandman
08-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Oh, Carl, we don't need them (Estes Industries), we have you, Sheryl and Bruce. :D

msm0202
08-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Dean,

Thanks for the incredibly uplifting comments. I'm probably not the best person to answer your question about why Estes didn't advertise because I can't speak for them. But I'm very glad Carl and John answered it with their own outlook because without them, LAUNCH would not be successful. They both advertised in the first issue—and since they're not in the habit of throwing money away, they obviously believe it's worthwhile to be in the magazine. I've said it before but I have to repeat it: I can't thank them enough for their support, along with their advice and encouragement.

Carl, John, msyelf and others had a chance at NARAM to discuss the legacy that Vern and Gleda Estes have left on the hobby. They not only helped invent it, but they were great marketers. And they have continued to be very active supporters of model rocketry, long after they sold the company. It was very inspiring, to say the least, when they agreed to a long interview for our first issue.

None of this takes anything away from the Estes Industries of today: I'm not privy to their marketing strategy, but obviously it is working well for them. I am hopeful that they will advertise in LAUNCH. But it's their decision and that's about all I can say about it. Like all manufacturers, we will cover Estes editorially whether they advertise or not. The credibility of our edit depends on it.

There are others who didn't advertise in the first issue that we expect will be in the second issue. In fact we've already expanded the ad base since the first issue, and we're looking forward to the next one. But I have to say this in defense of some manufacturers who did not advertise in the premier issue: We didn't give them a whole lot of notice. By design, we tried to keep things quiet up until the final weeks before NARAM. In hindsight, we probably should have announced it earlier. But once we did contact advertisers about it, I was thrilled with the support we received.

Also, it's not unusual for some advertisers to take a "wait and see" attitude to determine whether the magazine is headed in the direction they would like. Now that the first issue is out, I hope it is clear that we are trying to produce a top quality magazine. Our goal is to join with all of you in helping to expand the universe of hobby rocketry. We're not perfect, but then again, I've never seen a perfect issue of a magazine. But it's out there somewhere, and if I could just get my hands on it.. :)

Thanks again,
Mark

msm0202
08-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Dean, you're certainly right that Vern and Gleda supported the first issue, wholeheartedly. And if you haven' had the chance, take a look at the NARAM scrapbook photos on our website. The photo of Vern and Gleda wearing LAUNCH hats pretty much says it all. (And no, I didn't pay them to wear 'em. :) But I should have! )

Mark

Tau Zero
08-26-2006, 04:36 PM
We're not perfect, but then again, I've never seen a perfect issue of a magazine. But it's out there somewhere, and if I could just get my hands on it..(pretending to be confused) ...then the universe would cease to exist?

(shaking head to clear it) This doesn't have anything to do with that whole "Lost Chord" thing, does it? And the other "If a tree falls in a forest..." thingie?

'Cause if I'd known there was gonna be a test, I woulda studied. 'N stuff. :eek: :rolleyes:

Seriously, you have a great magazine, Mark, and here's to keeping it in flight. ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

PaulK
08-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Great magazine. My only problem is that it was too short (or just maybe... I read it too fast :rolleyes: ). All that anticipation, and it was done in less than 24 hours :( . I guess I'll have to read it again :) .

CPMcGraw
08-27-2006, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=CenturiGuy...This doesn't have anything to do with that whole "Lost Chord" thing, does it?...[/QUOTE]

You gettin Moody on us, Jay?

OMMMMMMMM....

Tau Zero
08-27-2006, 04:22 PM
You gettin Moody on us, Jay?

OMMMMMMMM....*Dude.* You got it! :D (The reference, I mean. *Not* the chord. :rolleyes: )

Cheers,

JRThro
08-28-2006, 08:30 AM
*Dude.* You got it! :D (The reference, I mean. *Not* the chord. :rolleyes: )

Cheers,
Man, back in college I used to have all seven of their albums on vinyl, and then I branched out and got all of the solo albums I could find, though the only one I have on CD is "Blue Jays." I haven't heard *any* of those old songs in decades now. :eek:

ghrocketman
08-30-2006, 08:34 AM
I just got my copy of the premiere issue of LAUNCH and it is everything I expected it to be.
By far the best rocketry magazine I have ever seen and well worth the issue price.
I looked through the entire issue, but so far have only read the Piester interview article.

Ltvscout
09-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Mark,

Who won those kits from the drawing for filling out the survey? The drawing was supposed to have happened on 9/21/06.

Eagle3
09-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Mark,

Who won those kits from the drawing for filling out the survey? The drawing was supposed to have happened on 9/21/06.

I'm guessing it wasn't us.... :p

marslndr
09-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Wasn't me either.

That MarsLander would have been sweet.

Anyone know when the next issue is comming out?

Mark

Ltvscout
09-29-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm guessing it wasn't us.... :p
Heh, I figured. I just wanted to see who the lucky people were.

msm0202
09-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Heh, I figured. I just wanted to see who the lucky people were.

Scott,

We did, indeed, make the drawing last week. And three of the four winners have been notified and confirmed their choice of the four kits we offered. (For instance, the first place winner had his choice of four kits; the second place winner made his choice of the remaining three kits... and so on.) However, we have not yet heard back from the fourth place winner, who, as it turns out, has a Mars Lander waiting on him. But I can announce the first three winners and their choices:

1st Place: Steven McNicoll of De Pere,Wisconsin. He chose the 1/70th-scale Apogee Saturn V.

2nd Place: Mike Braun of Fort Worth, Texas. He chose the Centuri Nike Smoke. Mike had his choice of the more valuable Estes Trident and Mars Lander kits, but he is a fan of the Nike Smoke and wanted that kit. His choice, and it's fine by me.

3rd Place: Harold Sasloe of Ft. Myers, Florida. He chose the Estes pre-Damon Trident. As he told me, he is currently building a Semroc Mars Lander so that made his choice a bit easier.

4th Place: I can't announce it until I hear back from him, but if he doesn't claim the Mars Lander soon.... there's still hope for everyone else! (One hint: He lives in Europe.)

Mark

msm0202
10-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Just an update that I've now heard back from the 4th Place winner and confirmed his prize—an Estes Mars Lander. He is Peter Muller from the Netherlands.
Thanks to everyone who took our survey and entered the contest! We'll have another one soon.
Mark

Rocketaholic
10-03-2006, 11:53 PM
I cannot wait to read the articles out of the magazine.

It looks very interesting.

Tau Zero
10-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I just got my copy of the premiere issue of LAUNCH and it is everything I expected it to be.I looked at my watch today, and noticed it said 10/6. :eek: :cool:

Aside from the "Alice in Wonderland" numerical coincidence, I keep thinking, "The new issue of LAUNCH Magazine should be winging its merry way to mailboxes around the globe Real Soon Now." ;) :D :cool:

Not that I'm impatient, or anything. :rolleyes: I'm just wiggling with anticipation at what Mark and crew will be rolling out for us in *this* issue. :D

Initiator001
10-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I looked at my watch today, and noticed it said 10/6. :eek: :cool:

Aside from the "Alice in Wonderland" numerical coincidence, I keep thinking, "The new issue of LAUNCH Magazine should be winging its merry way to mailboxes around the globe Real Soon Now." ;) :D :cool:

Not that I'm impatient, or anything. :rolleyes: I'm just wiggling with anticipation at what Mark and crew will be rolling out for us in *this* issue. :D

I know what ONE article will discuss. :D

Bob

msm0202
10-08-2006, 01:08 PM
I looked at my watch today, and noticed it said 10/6. :eek: :cool:

True enough! It's done, at the printer now. It will begin mailing this coming weekend. And as Bob pointed out, he certainly does know of at least one story in the issue--his own, about his 1974 visit to Centuri, some details of which he has written here on YORF. Great stuff. Actually, he has firsthand knowledge of another article in the issue: We used a couple of photos from Bob in our QandA with Gary Rosenfield. Plus, lots of other photos in that interview, too--not to mention the 5,200-words. A must read, if I say so myself. :)

Lots of great articles, photos, letters (including yours, Jay), and news in our What's Hot column regarding kit releases from your, and my, favorite companies. And more ads than the first issue!

Mark

JRThro
10-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Lots of great articles, photos, letters (including yours, Jay), and news in our What's Hot column regarding kit releases from your, and my, favorite companies. And more ads than the first issue!

Mark
Anything from Estes this time?
;)

Tau Zero
10-08-2006, 10:09 PM
True enough! It's done, at the printer now. It will begin mailing this coming weekend. [SNIP]

Lots of great articles, photos, letters (including yours, Jay)*Sweet!* ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

Rocketaholic
10-18-2006, 05:20 PM
I got the premiere issue mailed to me here in Iraq. It is a definite treasure. It is a great asset for providing a good history of the hobby. I wish all the success for the magazine.

Any Chance you will offer a lifetime membership subscription????

Carl@Semroc
10-19-2006, 11:19 PM

MarkLaunch Magazine #2 is at iHobby!

Thanks Mark and Deb. The new issues arrived today at iHobby and several have been passed out. I gave Lee Piester a copy and he looked through the whole issue with the excitement of a kid! He had something to say about many of the pictures. They brought back pleasant memories. He said he regretted not digging deeper before his interview in the first issue to find more pictures and memorabilia.

Great article about Gary Rosenfield. Good letters from lots of familiar names. Bob... Great remembrances about your Centuri visit in 1974. Too much in this issue to do it justice with so few words. You have to get your own copy. Another "read from cover-to-cover."

Carl@Semroc
10-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Anything from Estes this time?
;)As Mark implied, there are many more ads in this issue from our
favorite model rocket companies. Mark has class!

Tau Zero
10-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Launch Magazine #2 is at iHobby!

Thanks Mark and Deb. The new issues arrived today at iHobby and several have been passed out. I gave Lee Piester a copy and he looked through the whole issue with the excitement of a kid! He had something to say about many of the pictures. They brought back pleasant memories.If you see Lee again, please tell him I said, "Hi!" ;) :D I hope "all y'all" have a great time there!

Still waiting for LAUNCH #2 to show up in my mailbox, :D

msm0202
10-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Launch Magazine #2 is at iHobby!

Thanks Mark and Deb. The new issues arrived today at iHobby and several have been passed out. I gave Lee Piester a copy and he looked through the whole issue with the excitement of a kid! He had something to say about many of the pictures. They brought back pleasant memories. He said he regretted not digging deeper before his interview in the first issue to find more pictures and memorabilia.

Great article about Gary Rosenfield. Good letters from lots of familiar names. Bob... Great remembrances about your Centuri visit in 1974. Too much in this issue to do it justice with so few words. You have to get your own copy. Another "read from cover-to-cover."

Carl,

Thanks so much for the kind words, and for handing out the issue at iHobby. I bet you're selling out of Saturn 1Bs there. There has been so much anticipation about the release of that kit, and, not surprisingly, you're getting rave reviews for it. I'm sure the same is true of the Little Joe II as well. Congrats!

Please tell Lee hello for me. (His Hobby Bench issues of Launch will be waiting for him when he returns to Phoenix.)

And when you return home, I think there's an interview you and I have to do. :) Can't wait!

Mark

Initiator001
10-20-2006, 11:59 PM
I received my issue today.

Very nice, indeed. :D

Carl, thanks for your comments on my article.

Now, everyone subscribe to this magazine! Do not wait! ;)

Bob

sandman
10-24-2006, 05:38 PM
OK, in the latest issue of Launch Mag.

On page 9.

On the bottom, the color picture on the right.

The model on the far right...what the heck is that?

It looks like a Skylab mounted on top of an Orion. :eek:

The guy on the bottom of page 5 want to know really bad! :rolleyes:

No, that isn't me...that's Gus. :D

snaquin
10-24-2006, 07:36 PM

On page 9.

I wouldn't know Sandman ..... I'm still waiting for my copy of Launch to arrive :(

But it does sound interesting :)

sandman
10-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't know Sandman ..... I'm still waiting for my copy of Launch to arrive :(

But it does sound interesting :)

It's only fair that I get my copy of "Launch" magazine early :D since I always seem to get "Sport Rocketry" about 5 weeks after everyone else does. :mad:

Bob H
10-24-2006, 10:10 PM
I received issue #2 yesterday but I really didn't have time to look at it until today.

The NARAM coverage was good and I liked the upscale Interceptor article. The rest of the articles will have to wait for another day. Nice magazine. I'm glad that I subscribed.

I met Mark Mayfield at the NEMROC convention. He was there to give a talk about LAUNCH magazine and I was there to give a talk about paper rockets.

It was too bad that he couldn't stay over for the NEMROC launch the following day. We had a beautiful sunny day with almost no wind.

Initiator001
10-25-2006, 12:24 AM

On page 9.

Why, I'm surprised that no-one recognizes that model.

It's the Enerjet Skylab-Athena kit prototype designed for the Enerjet 18mm D21 motors.

( :rolleyes: :D )

Bob

DeanHFox
10-25-2006, 01:36 AM

On page 9.

That's because it *is* a Skylab mounted on an Orion! Must have been one of their R&D rockets.

On the left-side photo of the range store..anyone recognize the rocket on the top shelf, left side? I'm thinking maybe another R&D design?

BTW --- one other thing for you sharp-eyed observers...there are two Centuri Taurus rockets in that left-hand range store photo...notice that BOTH KINDS of pod nose cones (pointy AND blunt) are represented there? :)

Thanks, Bob, for sharing these priceless photos of modroc history with us! :D

mperdue
10-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I liked the upscale Interceptor article.
Thank-you. I enjoyed writing it. I'm currently working on a 3X version for NSL 2007.

Mario

snaquin
10-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Why, I'm surprised that no-one recognizes that model.

It's the Enerjet Skylab-Athena kit prototype designed for the Enerjet 18mm D21 motors.

( :rolleyes: :D )

Bob

Bob,

I thought I was going to have to try to make it through another weekend without my Nov/Dec issue of LAUNCH ..... and when I got home my wife tells me "you know that magazine you've been looking for and asking me about all week came in the mail today" :D

Great article and pics detailing your visit to Centuri in 1974 and getting to see all those diplay models in person! I really enjoyed the article.

A couple of other things that caught my eye were the pictures of Carl and Bruce with the Lil' Hustler and Chas with his beautiful Hustler on the opposite page. I can't wait to fly my Lil' Hustler for it's first flight at our next Louisiana launch.

Excellent shot of your Orion II as well ..... and I'm only up to page 19 ;)

I'm so glad I subscribed to this awesome publication. I'm going to try and read it cover to cover over the weekend.

Rocketaholic
10-28-2006, 07:43 PM
I wind down at the end my shift over here by reading articles out of your magazine. I have the first issue, and I loved the interview with Mr. and Mrs. Estes. It was a really great article. I will be reading the next article after todays shift.

Thank you and keep up the great Work with launch Magazine.

Sincerely,

The rocketaholic

dwmzmm
11-21-2006, 10:34 PM
I received the latest issue of Sport Rockety last Friday (11/17/06), then got my first issue
of LAUNCH (November/December) just a couple of days later. Already spent hours drooling
over the articles in both magazines; both should be able to more than compliment the other.
Great job, and thanks to Mark and staff for having the courage to re-ignite our passions of
the good old days with LAUNCH!

Now, if I can just get a copy of the first issue of LAUNCH...

Initiator001
11-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Now, if I can just get a copy of the first issue of LAUNCH...

No problem.

Just go to the LAUNCH! website and order it with your credit card.

Issue #3 looks like it will be another winner! ;)

Bob

Tau Zero
12-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Issue #3 looks like it will be another winner! ;) It seems like I keep looking for LAUNCH magazine earlier every month. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Not that I'm expecting Mark to move up the release date so we'll get More Issues Sooner. I just anticipate the new ones *more!* :D

Wiggling with anticipation...

Initiator001
12-08-2006, 09:42 PM
It seems like I keep looking for LAUNCH magazine earlier every month. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Not that I'm expecting Mark to move up the release date so we'll get More Issues Sooner. I just anticipate the new ones *more!* :D

Wiggling with anticipation...

I plan to camp out, again, next to my mailbox after January 1st. It can never be TOO soon for another issue of LAUNCH! :D

Bob

dwmzmm
12-08-2006, 10:04 PM
No problem.

Just go to the LAUNCH! website and order it with your credit card.

Bob

No need to do that; I struck a "deal"....

mperdue
12-09-2006, 06:01 PM

I'm really looking forward to this one...

Mario

msm0202
12-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, we're just about done with this one. We get proofs back this coming week, and it goes on press next Saturday (December 16). It will begin mailing soon thereafter, so hopefully :) everyone will receive it before Christmas. And it will be in 574 Barnes & Noble stores nationally soon after New Year's Day! Very excited about that. Also in lots of Hastings and Borders stores and many more hobby shops than before.

Lots of good stuff, and more pages of it. This issue is the largest yet, which is why I'm bleary-eyed at the moment.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thanks for the anticipation. Be sure and walk into Barnes & Noble when the issue arrives and see if it's getting good display. And if it's not, do what I'm going to do: Pick up the issues and put 'em on the top shelf in front of all the other mags!

And if you only see one or two issues, tell the store manager to order more next time. :)

Mark

dwmzmm
12-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Well, we're just about done with this one. We get proofs back this coming week, and it goes on press next Saturday (December 16). It will begin mailing soon thereafter, so hopefully :) everyone will receive it before Christmas. And it will be in 574 Barnes & Noble stores nationally soon after New Year's Day! Very excited about that. Also in lots of Hastings and Borders stores and many more hobby shops than before.

Lots of good stuff, and more pages of it. This issue is the largest yet, which is why I'm bleary-eyed at the moment.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, and thanks for the anticipation. Be sure and walk into Barnes & Noble when the issue arrives and see if it's getting good display. And if it's not, do what I'm going to do: Pick up the issues and put 'em on the top shelf in front of all the other mags!

And if you only see one or two issues, tell the store manager to order more next time. :)

Mark

Mark, thanks for the heads up. I have a question: I received my first issue (the second
mag after the first issue) recently and had marked the postcard to bill me later. Would
you prefer that some of us go ahead and purchase the magazine off the shelf from some
of these retailers instead of via subscription? The reason I ask is there's several
Barnes & Noble bookstores near where I live, and it would be a breeze for me to go in one
and get my copy of the Launch magazine there.

Also, will it be possible for local libraries to get subscriptions so these can be displayed on
their magazine racks? Just a thought...

JRThro
12-10-2006, 08:15 AM
And it will be in 574 Barnes & Noble stores nationally soon after New Year's Day! Very excited about that. Also in lots of Hastings and Borders stores and many more hobby shops than before.

Wow, that's *great* news, Mark!

msm0202
12-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Mark, thanks for the heads up. I have a question: I received my first issue (the second
mag after the first issue) recently and had marked the postcard to bill me later. Would
you prefer that some of us go ahead and purchase the magazine off the shelf from some
of these retailers instead of via subscription? The reason I ask is there's several
Barnes & Noble bookstores near where I live, and it would be a breeze for me to go in one
and get my copy of the Launch magazine there.

Also, will it be possible for local libraries to get subscriptions so these can be displayed on
their magazine racks? Just a thought...

Dave,

Good questions. Our first priority is to build up the subscription base, so we'd definitely like for you to continue to subscribe rather than buying issue by issue on the newsstand. It's much cheaper by subscription, of course, but also—as a subscriber—you'll receive each issue about a week or two ahead of the on-sale date at Barnes & Noble. But if you also want to buy an extra one at BN, we would truly be thrilled about that. :)

We see the Barnes & Noble distribution as a great way to get new subscribers as well as to widen the universe of people interested in rocketry. For a lot of people, the sight of LAUNCH at BN will be the first time they've seen it, and hopefully they'll buy an issue and then covert to subscribers. We sure hope so.

As for libraries, we are always willing to consider comp subscriptions for them, particularly if they are small with limited budgets. You are welcome to ask your local library to send us a note at info@launchmagonline.com, or call us at 212-239-5523.
Thanks,
Mark

dwmzmm
12-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Dave,

Good questions. Our first priority is to build up the subscription base, so we'd definitely like for you to continue to subscribe rather than buying issue by issue on the newsstand. It's much cheaper by subscription, of course, but also—as a subscriber—you'll receive each issue about a week or two ahead of the on-sale date at Barnes & Noble. But if you also want to buy an extra one at BN, we would truly be thrilled about that. :)

We see the Barnes & Noble distribution as a great way to get new subscribers as well as to widen the universe of people interested in rocketry. For a lot of people, the sight of LAUNCH at BN will be the first time they've seen it, and hopefully they'll buy an issue and then covert to subscribers. We sure hope so.

As for libraries, we are always willing to consider comp subscriptions for them, particularly if they are small with limited budgets. You are welcome to ask your local library to send us a note at info@launchmagonline.com, or call us at 212-239-5523.
Thanks,
Mark

Thanks, Mark! We have at least three very good public libraries nearby, and I'd be happy to
show them my copy of the latest LAUNCH magazine as well as recent copies of Sport Rocketry. Will make a note of your e-mail/phone. This will make a good Holiday project to
work on (in addition to the "big" builds I have planned; the Estes original 1/70 Saturn 1-B &
PDRocketry's Gemini Titan - 3).

dwmzmm
02-04-2007, 09:09 AM
I went by my local Barnes and Noble bookstore yesterday to see if I could spot the current
issue of LAUNCH on the magazine racks. Sure enough, I saw what appeared to be the first
two letters LA at the bottom third rack where the "hobbies & crafts" section is. Just to be
on the "safe" side, I rearranged the magazines (there were three copies, from what I could
tell) so the full title LAUNCH was clearly visible to any passing by :)

marslndr
02-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Salem NH B&N has them.

Green Dragon
02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Will be running by my local B&N tommorrow at lunch and hope to find a copy :-)

question for Mark - I got the intro issue, but did not subscribe , or pick up issue 2 due to being laid off / personal / financial issues... are back issues available ?

look forward to seeing the new issue - always need a new shot in the arm to keep me building / pumped up :-)

~ AL

msm0202
02-04-2007, 06:15 PM
I went by my local Barnes and Noble bookstore yesterday to see if I could spot the current
issue of LAUNCH on the magazine racks. Sure enough, I saw what appeared to be the first
two letters LA at the bottom third rack where the "hobbies & crafts" section is. Just to be
on the "safe" side, I rearranged the magazines (there were three copies, from what I could
tell) so the full title LAUNCH was clearly visible to any passing by :)

Dave,
Thanks! We can use all the help we can get. Now that you've placed 'em out front, hopefully all three will sell and they'll order more next time! :)
Mark

Will be running by my local B&N tommorrow at lunch and hope to find a copy :-)

question for Mark - I got the intro issue, but did not subscribe , or pick up issue 2 due to being laid off / personal / financial issues... are back issues available ?

look forward to seeing the new issue - always need a new shot in the arm to keep me building / pumped up :-)

~ AL

Al,
You can order back issues on our website, at launchmagonline.com. Our new issue (No. 4) will be mailed by February 20, at which time Issue 3 will be added to the back issue list as well. But if you're still out of work, send me a PM with your address and we'll be glad to help you out with the issues.
Mark

dwmzmm
02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Dave,
Thanks! We can use all the help we can get. Now that you've placed 'em out front, hopefully all three will sell and they'll order more next time! :)
Mark

Al,
You can order back issues on our website, at launchmagonline.com. Our new issue (No. 4) will be mailed by February 20, at which time Issue 3 will be added to the back issue list as well. But if you're still out of work, send me a PM with your address and we'll be glad to help you out with the issues.
Mark

Mark, save me one copy of the first issue; I'll be getting a money order headed your way ASAP. Gotta have that first copy!!

Thanks,

msm0202
02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Mark, save me one copy of the first issue; I'll be getting a money order headed your way ASAP. Gotta have that first copy!!

Thanks,

Dave,
No problem! It's waiting for you. And someday you'll have to come by and take a look at the 1/45th-scale Centuri Little Joe II in our office that served as the first issue "cover model." I'm still very glad we "launched LAUNCH" with that rocket.
Thanks,
Mark

dwmzmm
02-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Dave,
No problem! It's waiting for you. And someday you'll have to come by and take a look at the 1/45th-scale Centuri Little Joe II in our office that served as the first issue "cover model." I'm still very glad we "launched LAUNCH" with that rocket.
Thanks,
Mark

Thanks, Mark. But I don't have to wait to see the 1/45th scale Centuri Apollo Little Joe - II; I've had one since 1971 that's still going strong today:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/may-21/DSC04463

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/may-21/100B0070?full=1

First picture by Greg Deeter; second by Warren Benson.

BTW, the MO for the first issue is already on its way!

msm0202
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks, Mark. But I don't have to wait to see the 1/45th scale Centuri Apollo Little Joe - II; I've had one since 1971 that's still going strong today:

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/may-21/DSC04463

http://www.nasarocketclub.com/gallery/may-21/100B0070?full=1

First picture by Greg Deeter; second by Warren Benson.

BTW, the MO for the first issue is already on its way!

Dave,
Excellent! And at JSC, no less. Outstanding.
Mark

snaquin
02-15-2007, 07:41 PM
I saw this article this afternoon on Rocketry Planet

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/1695/28/

I guess I'll start to stake out the mailbox after February 20th .....

Thanks again Mark for such a fine publication. I always look forward to every new issue!

Ltvscout
03-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I got my March/April issue of Launch yesterday and all I can say is, WOW! You guys (and gals!) really do a fantastic job. The pictures and articles get better and better with every issue. I really like how you blend model rocketry together with real rocketry. Keep up the great work Launch crew!

Rocketaholic
03-03-2007, 01:42 PM
The new issue is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The magazine keeps getting better each issue. I Love it. Job Well Done.

I hope you are already saving an electronic version in PDF format for CD Rom distribution. They will definitely be a great product.

R/S

Carl@Semroc
03-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I really like how you blend model rocketry together with real rocketry. And for almost 50 years, I though model rocketry WAS real rocketry. :D

I heartily agree that each issue gets better. Launch Magazine brings back the memories of anticipation of each issue of Model Rocket News and American Rocketeer and the excitement that was bundled in each issue. It is hard to explain to one that was not fortunate enough to be there in the 1960's, but Launch Magazine does capture some of that magic.

The interviews are great! They help fill in the history. Irv Wait has always been a hero of mine, but I wondered what he was really like. Mark's interview brought out a soft-spoken genius that has finally started getting some much deserved credit for his impact on the hobby. I always wondered about the early history of Green and Forsythe at Vashon. Jim Flis has been my friend for five years now and I still learned things about him and Fliskits I did not know. The interview with Walt Cunningham showed the human side of a great astronaut. We sure need more of those.

Thanks to Mario for a great build report on the Saturn 1B. Honestly, he was not paid to say all those kind words about our kit. We could not have afforded to pay him what they were worth anyway.

mperdue
03-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Carl,

I meant every word I said about your Saturn 1B kit. BTW, I like the Texas Firefly I recently picked up too.

Mario

dwmzmm
03-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I hope LAUNCH can, in the future, interview more of the astronauts of the Mercury,
Gemini and Apollo days (from those who are still with us today). It would certainly add
more credibility to the magazine, even though we model rocketeers already know that.
I see in some of the non-model rocketry forums I regularily surf there's been mention of
LAUNCH over the past week. Hell, I'm gonna do what I can to push more subscribers for
LAUNCH!!

jflis
03-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Very, very pleased with each and every issue.

For Mark and Debbie I would make one little request, if you're looking for ideas... :D

How about offering for sale, at the end of the year, a binder that would allow us to take the 6 issues from any given year and bind them up for our library?? It would look nice, protect the magazine for many years and (i personally beleive) would be very popular... I know that *I* would buy one each year!

jim

dtomko
03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Very, very pleased with each and every issue.

For Mark and Debbie I would make one little request, if you're looking for ideas... :D

How about offering for sale, at the end of the year, a binder that would allow us to take the 6 issues from any given year and bind them up for our library?? It would look nice, protect the magazine for many years and (i personally beleive) would be very popular... I know that *I* would buy one each year!

jim

I had the very same thought this morning!

Drew

moonzero2
03-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I have not received mine as yet. Am I the only one who has not received theirs? Should I be worried? :confused:

conleyt
03-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I have not received mine as yet. Am I the only one who has not received theirs? Should I be worried? :confused:

I would definitely send Mark a note. You should have received it by now...

Tom C.

rocketguy101
03-17-2007, 03:47 PM

Definitely write them.

I emailed using the contact link on the Launch website (http://launchmagonline.com/). They replied a new supplier was having distribution problems and sent me a replacement issue. I got it 4 days later :) IF the original issue ever shows up, I am going to pass it on to entice new subscribers!!

Great magazine, great service.

moonzero2
03-27-2007, 01:40 PM
OK, I sent an email to them and got a response in less than 24 hours. Awesome!
Must have got lost in the mail. My mail man may have wanted it. So they sent out a new one and received it in 4 days. AWESOME service. And waht a FANTASTIC magazine. WOW. I could not put it down. I sent an email thanking them for GREAT customer service plus I put a plug in on what a wonderful job there are doing. Now they want to publish my comments! This is what I said in my email:
I just wanted to let you know I received my issue yesterday. Thank-you.
ps: This is an AWESOME magazine!!!! Keep up the FANTASTIC articles!!!! I especially like how you do a GREAT job of mixing Model Rocketry with real space programs. It's cool how you put an interview with Walt Cunningham (1st Saturn 1B flight) with a build article on SEMLOC's new Saturn 1B model rocket. I couldn't put your magazine down. GREAT quality paper and pictures. Keep up the AWESOME job.

Tau Zero
05-13-2007, 11:53 PM
I think I must have seen some discussion about the latest issue of LAUNCH over on The Rocketry Forum (TRF), but apparently there's been nothing here (yet).

Have you received your copy yet, or is it still "on the way?"

Mark, did you run into any delays (e.g., the infamous snow storm in Denver :rolleyes: ) for this issue? (I'm hoping it shows up in the coming week.)

Thanks, and cheers,

dwmzmm
05-14-2007, 12:24 AM
I think I must have seen some discussion about the latest issue of LAUNCH over on The Rocketry Forum (TRF), but apparently there's been nothing here (yet).

Mark, did you run into any delays (e.g., the infamous snow storm in Denver :rolleyes: ) for this issue? (I'm hoping it shows up in the coming week.)

Thanks, and cheers,

Got mine around the middle of last week. Already read the whole issue; really great and
worth re-reading. Now, some have already received their latest Sport Rocketry, so I'm still
waiting on that...

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-14-2007, 01:06 AM
Nothing here yet. I just sent out an e-mail letting them know.

mperdue
05-14-2007, 07:33 AM

As I understand things, they used to mail the issues themselves but their distribution has grown to where that is no longer an option. Like many publications they've opted to have the printer mail the magazines to the subscribers. As with almost any change, it will take a few attempts to iron out the glitches. Drop them an email and let them know you haven't received it yet.

Mario

marslndr
05-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Mine came last week, Monday I think.

msm0202
05-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi all. For those of you who haven't received your issue yet, please drop us a note at info@launchmagonline.com. (Bill, we got your email. Thanks. We're mailing you a copy from our office.)

Mario is correct: All of our subscriber issues are now mailed directly from the printer due to the volume. Because we have a definitive newsstand date, we don't have the luxury of "running late" with any issues, so they're all printed on time and immediately mailed to subscribers, and shipped to Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. In the case of Issue No. 5, they were mailed more than three weeks ago. It can take up to three weeks for all of them to make it through the postal system, but you should have received them by now. If not, again, just drop us a note. We'll be happy to send you another one.

(But Jay, in your case, I imagine the trout are running pretty well in the Idaho streams right now, so your mailman might be taking some time off... :) But just in case he's still on the job, we're also putting another issue in the mail to you today. Sorry you haven't received the first one.

Regards,
Mark

dwmzmm
05-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Mark, I got mine early last week. I LOVE the fact that the magazine is sent in a shrinkwrap
plastic covering to protect the intregrity of the magazine from the elements (rough handling, weather, etc). It really shows the lengths you guys go to make this a real class
act for your subscribers!

SEL
05-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Got mine around the middle of last week. Already read the whole issue; really great and
worth re-reading. Now, some have already received their latest Sport Rocketry, so I'm still
waiting on that...

I received Launch about a week and a half ago, and SR last week.

Sean

Tau Zero
05-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Nothing here yet. I just sent out an e-mail letting them know.Hi all. For those of you who haven't received your issue yet, please drop us a note at info@launchmagonline.com. (Bill, we got your email. Thanks. We're mailing you a copy from our office.)

(But Jay, in your case [SNIP] we're also putting another issue in the mail to you today. Sorry you haven't received the first one.Like my parents say, "The squeaky wheel always gets the grease." :p

However, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that LAUNCH #5 was waiting for me on my kitchen table when I got home from work today. :o (That, and a little fuzzy sheep from Colonial Williamsburg, VA. :eek: )

Anyway, Mark, I'll use the additional copy to show at my local hobby stores as well as Barnes and Noble. :cool: ;) :D Thanks yet again!

Cheers,

JSP
05-17-2007, 07:16 AM
HI guys!
I noticed that the picture of the rocket was gone from the last issue's logo. Is this a permanent change? Not that it matters....I just thought it looked cool.....

timmwood
05-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I e-mailed Mark Mayfield about it and he gave me a very nice reply. May I suggest you e-mail him. Perhaps he'll post here about it.
timmwood

dwmzmm
05-19-2007, 10:46 AM
HI guys!
I noticed that the picture of the rocket was gone from the last issue's logo. Is this a permanent change? Not that it matters....I just thought it looked cool.....

That rocket logo is seen on page 6 (look at the very top page)...

Leo
06-22-2007, 04:54 AM
I just thought I'd mention that I just subscribed the magazine for 2 years.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through every article so far, especially topics concerning the history of the sport and very much look forward to receiving the next editions.

The magazine is a great contribution to the sport of model rocketry.

Keep up the great work!

Initiator001
06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
The July/August issue is up on the LAUNCH website so I expect it to arrive in my mailbox soon. :D

Bob

ckbush
06-24-2007, 07:16 AM
How long does it usually take a "back issue" order to arrive? I both subscribed and ordered all the back issues using PayPal on May 23. I have received the "May/June" issue as part of the subscription, but still no response on the back issues.

Is there someone I should specifically contact to check on these?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Chuck

dwmzmm
06-24-2007, 07:53 AM
How long does it usually take a "back issue" order to arrive? I both subscribed and ordered all the back issues using PayPal on May 23. I have received the "May/June" issue as part of the subscription, but still no response on the back issues.

Is there someone I should specifically contact to check on these?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Chuck

Back issues can take a while; when I subscribed around August of last year the 2nd issue had
just came out. By the time the third issue arrived, I couldn't "resist" it any longer -- I just had to get the premier issue (for collection purpose, more than any thing else). If I rememer correctly, it took about four weeks for it to arrive (just be patient, it'll be arriving
in your mailbox soon enough...).

ckbush
06-25-2007, 03:49 AM
Back issues can take a while. . . (just be patient, it'll be arriving
in your mailbox soon enough...).

Thanks!

Chuck

Carl@Semroc
07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Launch #6 came today! We have been reading it and re-reading it all day. At least 13 pages featuring youth flying rockets and having fun with space! Fifteen hours later, I am still enjoying the magazine.

So much work went into this issue and ahead of schedule as well. I keep seeing things I did not see the first several passes. The first thing that caught my eye is the picture on the front cover of the Mars Rover against the Mars landscape. Who took the picture? After a few moments, I noticed the shadows from the rocks did not match the shadow of the Rover. Inside the cover it explains the magic. I worked with the TARC team on the front cover at the launch. I joked with them that they needed to get rid of the guy and have an all-girls team. I would follow up with "I am just kidding." The girl third from the left kept saying, "no you're not." When they launched the rocket, he enthusiastically ran by himself to recover it. One of the ladies said that they were keeping him so they did not have to chase the rocket. Good teamwork! Each year at TARC, I am touched by several of the teams. I see myself from years past in their faces. I see the future in their smiles.

Thanks again to Mario for his article on the Hawks Mars Snooper and our SLS Laser-X as well as a great article about NSL. The upscale of Jim's Acme Spitfire, John Dyer's Prometheus (got to get one!), Walt Cunningham's column and promise to let PC go, update on space travel and Mars Rovers, and in case I did not mention it, all the articles on youth flying rockets!

I guess I better put it down now and get back to work. NARAM is getting here fast.

JRThro
07-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Launch #6 came today! We have been reading it and re-reading it all day. At least 13 pages featuring youth flying rockets and having fun with space! Fifteen hours later, I am still enjoying the magazine.
Sounds great, Carl! I can't wait to see this issue.

And then I'll *have* to resubscribe!

dwmzmm
07-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Sounds great, Carl! I can't wait to see this issue.

And then I'll *have* to resubscribe!

If you have a couple of extra bucks, you can just get one at the Barnes & Noble bookstores...

ckbush
07-03-2007, 07:58 AM

Wow! It sounds great! I still haven't received my issue yet, but I am looking forward to it! You'all are doing a great job with this new magazine, thank you! :)

Chuck

Initiator001
07-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I guess I better put it down now and get back to work. NARAM is getting here fast.

I know what you mean, Carl. :D

Bob

snaquin
07-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I've barely scratched the surface of the new issue that arrived today! One of the first things I noticed was the most interesting "Rocket Commute" and "Grand Central's Rocket" articles with reference to the hole in the ceiling at Grand Central from the Redstone display in the 1950's.

My only visit to NY was this past Christmas. I do remember standing {towards the side of the room so as to not be run over by commuters} and staring at the ceiling for a good 5 or 10 minutes to admire the constellations and lighted stars on the ceiling and to try to take in the truly incredible size of the Main Concourse. I snapped only one {lousy} photo of the ceiling but it was off to the side of the room, not towards the center where I assume the hole is.

Bummer. If I knew the hole was there and of historical significance, I would have looked for it .....

Anyway, very interesting article Mark. This issue looks terrific and I'll be reading it cover to cover later tonight. Launch magazine is a truly unique and exciting publication! {I don't need to tell you to keep up the good work, it looks like you're doing that already}

ckbush
07-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow!

I am really looking forward to getting my issue! :)

Chuck

rocketguy101
07-08-2007, 07:29 AM

So Carl, did you get to visit w/ Buzz Aldrin, or was that just a quick photo op? Glad to see there is so much "professional" interest in TARC, really brings a degree "we're in this for the long haul" to the event!

ckbush
07-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Hurray! I got my issue 6 yesterday! :)

Chuck

Rocketaholic
07-22-2007, 03:29 PM
I really enjoyed reading the article by astronaut Walter Cunningham "Mission to Baikonur". He is a great addition to the magazine. I look forward to reading more articles from this great man.

I had the good fortune of having a chance to listen and see astronauts Scott Corpenter, Tom Stafford and Eugene Cernan yesterday at the San Diego Aerospace Museum. It was a great forum.

Thank you Launch Magazine for a great educational magazine.

Initiator001
07-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I had the good fortune of having a chance to listen and see astronauts Scott Corpenter, Tom Stafford and Eugene Cernan yesterday at the San Diego Aerospace Museum. It was a great forum.

Shoot,

I wanted to go to that presentation at SDAM but I was too busy getting ready to leave for NARAM-49. :(

Bob

dwmzmm
07-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I really enjoyed reading the article by astronaut Walter Cunningham "Mission to Baikonur". He is a great addition to the magazine. I look forward to reading more articles from this great man.

Thank you Launch Magazine for a great educational magazine.

Agreed; I've enjoyed the contributions from both Walter Cunningham and James Oberg.

JBM
07-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Wow! This is great news. To borrow the phrase from the old commercial, "I'm an enquiring mind and I want to know." I was a young 'un back when Lee Piester had Centuri going great-guns. Their Saturn V was the best but in my impatience I settled for the Estes version. My bad! I am looking forward to his story, as well as Vern Estes' "Now It Can Be Told" about the Damon buyout. I met Vern at a Dallas regional launch in 1994 and it made my year, so I am anxious to read that and the other details.

Leo
09-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Received the latest issue today.

Juicy thick with lots of great topics :)

My golly, I've never seen such a huge rocket glider before (page 67)! :eek:

Rocket Doctor
09-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Leo How did you manage to get your mag so quickly in Germany?

Leo
09-11-2007, 01:37 PM

Via rocketmail HAHAHA :D

dwmzmm
09-11-2007, 07:49 PM

No, LAUNCH headquarters probably had Leo's copy "beamed" over to his desk in his living
room (beamed as in STAR TREK transporter).... ;)

Rocket Doctor
09-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Maybe FIBER OPTICS....................and as the Verizon TV commercials says..........."That's True Quam" ???????????

Initiator001
09-17-2007, 07:14 PM
I received the latest issue of LAUNCH magazine today. :D

Now to go and read it. ;)

Bob

dwmzmm
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
I received the latest issue of LAUNCH magazine today. :D

Now to go and read it. ;)

Bob

Got mine today, too. I've already read through half of it (I'm a fast reader, in case you're
wondering). Loved the articles on Sputnik, the Saturn - V (by Walt Cunningham), and others.
Mark, Debbie, and the entire LAUNCH staff have a real quality publication with first class
contributors. Now I can't wait for the next issue!!

pantherjon
09-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Totally bummed right now..Went to website to order back issues and subscribe and can't get past step 1..:(..sigh...Put in registration info, clicked send registration, welcome page loads, but my shopping cart is intact..OK, so I need to log in I think..I try logging in and get the message that my login is being blocked..weird...try registering again, but says e-mail is already registered..lol..yeah it IS :) Originally registered using Firefox..so, I think, maybe I need to use IE..fire it up, and same thing 'your login is blocked.contact administrator'...sigh...will try again later, or may call it in...

mperdue
09-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Totally bummed right now..Went to website to order back issues and subscribe and can't get past step 1..:(..sigh...Put in registration info, clicked send registration, welcome page loads, but my shopping cart is intact..OK, so I need to log in I think..I try logging in and get the message that my login is being blocked..weird...try registering again, but says e-mail is already registered..lol..yeah it IS :) Originally registered using Firefox..so, I think, maybe I need to use IE..fire it up, and same thing 'your login is blocked.contact administrator'...sigh...will try again later, or may call it in...

Jon,

Please email me directly on this. ( mperdue -at- indyrockets -dot- org ) I made a couple of small changes yesterday and you may have been caught-up in the change. I'll get it sorted out ASAP.

One quick question. Did you respond to the activation email?

Mario

pantherjon
09-18-2007, 07:53 PM
No I didn't...Just combed thru my SPAM folder and Outlook stuck it there! Will do that promptly..Hopefully that solves the problem..

EDIT: That did the trick! Got my back issues ordered and a 2 year subscription! :D :cool:

genimijim
12-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Mark

I signed up for a 2 yr subscription, good luck...........

genimijim (Jim)

dwmzmm
12-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Mark

I signed up for a 2 yr subscription, good luck...........

genimijim (Jim)

Mark,

Me too! Mailed my payment in last week. That one year subscription sure went by really
fast.

Hey, how about making a three year subscription available in the future?!

Happy Holidays and keep up the great work. Your magazine is really super!

Tau Zero
01-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Hey, has anybody gotten the Jan./Feb. 2008 issue of LAUNCH yet? :confused:

I got this month's issue of SpRocketry, but LAUNCH seems to be Missing In Action. :(

(Or maybe I accidentally got on somebody's blacklist... Like the mail lady's. :eek: :p )

Cheers,

dwmzmm
01-19-2008, 10:04 PM

I got this month's issue of SpRocketry, but LAUNCH seems to be Missing In Action. :(

(Or maybe I accidentally got on somebody's blacklist... Like the mail lady's. :eek: :p )

Cheers,

My LAUNCH hasn't came in yet, but I did receive the Sport Rocketry today :) .

Royatl
01-20-2008, 02:45 AM

Cheers,

Nope. It usually comes in a week before Sprockets, but I got that earlier this week.

Launch also hasn't shown up at any of the bookstores.

Rocket Doctor
01-20-2008, 06:11 AM
You are correct, Sport Rocketry is out, but, LAUNC isn't. It will be on it's way shortly, they had a very busy schedule and they also were in the midst of producing the new Astra magazine.

dwmzmm
01-20-2008, 07:34 AM
You are correct, Sport Rocketry is out, but, LAUNC isn't. It will be on it's way shortly, they had a very busy schedule and they also were in the midst of producing the new Astra magazine.

What is the Astra about?!

Rocket Doctor
01-20-2008, 07:40 AM
What is the Astra about?!

Go to the LAUNCH mag web page, it tells about it there
www.launchmagonline.com

genimijim
01-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I got the 2008 Jan/Feb issue of LAUNCH in the mail Friday, a lot of very interesting articles in there, the Mrs. seen me looking at the article about Balls 16 at the Black Rock Desert in Neveda, she told me "NO, you have enough rockets, besides that our garage isn't big enough for the larger rockets."
I received the back issue of LAUNCH Sept/Oct 2006 Saturday, very interesting articles on Vern & Glenda Estes, Orville Carlisle/Harry Stine and Lee Piester.
Thanks to Ye OLde Rocket Forum, if I hadn't found this forum and become a member I'd never been able to enjoy the wisdom, help and ideas of all on here.

genimijim (Jim)

Rocket Doctor
01-20-2008, 10:18 AM
I got the 2008 Jan/Feb issue of LAUNCH in the mail Friday, a lot of very interesting articles in there, the Mrs. seen me looking at the article about Balls 16 at the Black Rock Desert in Neveda, she told me "NO, you have enough rockets, besides that our garage isn't big enough for the larger rockets."
I received the back issue of LAUNCH Sept/Oct 2006 Saturday, very interesting articles on Vern & Glenda Estes, Orville Carlisle/Harry Stine and Lee Piester.
Thanks to Ye OLde Rocket Forum, if I hadn't found this forum and become a member I'd never been able to enjoy the wisdom, help and ideas of all on here.

genimijim (Jim)

Jim

Welcome to the Forum

RD

Leo
01-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Another very nice issue. Good read.

Rocket Doctor
01-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Another very nice issue. Good read.

Leo

How is it that you have received your copy in Germany, and, we here in the USA haven't gotten our issue yet. I know, rocket mail...........
RD

Das ist nicht so gut !!!!

ScaleNut
01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
recieved my issue today .

conleyt
01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Got mine today, too.....

Tom C.

dwmzmm
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Received mine yesterday too. Also, Monday evening, I bought a book at a bookstore at a
nearby mall, A Man On The Moon - The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts by Andrew Chaikin
(685 pages, published 2997). With the Sport Rocketry, LAUNCH and this book, I'm gonna
be really tied up on reading and have little time for building and flying :confused: ....

barone
03-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I always try to put my magazines in sheet protectors to keep them like new for future reading when I've forgotten what was in them the first time I read them. :confused:

Anyway, after the second issue, they wouldn't fit in the sheet protectors any more. I went through several different manufacturers with the same result. The magazine had a tendancy to bend. Well, today I found some that store them perfectly and thought I'd share the info in case someone else is like me and having trouble finding suitable protection.... :rolleyes:

From Office Depot, clear expandable, heavy weight sheet protectors. 100 sheet capacity, letter size. UPC 78910 58221

Comes in a package of 25 sheets for 6.99 plus tax.

mperdue
03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
barone,

Great find, thanks for posting the information. I'll be picking some up for my copies of LAUNCH too.

Mario

SEL
03-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I always try to put my magazines in sheet protectors to keep them like new for future reading when I've forgotten what was in them the first time I read them. :confused:

Anyway, after the second issue, they wouldn't fit in the sheet protectors any more. I went through several different manufacturers with the same result. The magazine had a tendancy to bend. Well, today I found some that store them perfectly and thought I'd share the info in case someone else is like me and having trouble finding suitable protection.... :rolleyes:

From Office Depot, clear expandable, heavy weight sheet protectors. 100 sheet capacity, letter size. UPC 78910 58221

Comes in a package of 25 sheets for 6.99 plus tax.

Thanks for the info, Don.

S.

GORT1952
08-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I get my protectors from a local comic book store. They have magazine sized bags and acid-free backer boards to keep the magazines from curling. They also have smaller sizes that work for rocket catalogs, too.

I wish I had access to these back in the 60's. Some of my old magazines and catalog are very worn.

joecool
10-07-2008, 04:07 PM
so here i am, way late to the game as usual ... !

is LAUNCH still around? Sounds cool - I'd love to get my hands on a copy!

mperdue
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM

is LAUNCH still around? Sounds cool - I'd love to get my hands on a copy!
Yes, LAUNCH is still around and doing well. Visit http://www.launchmagonline.com for more information.

Mario

Carl@Semroc
10-07-2008, 08:26 PM

is LAUNCH still around? Sounds cool - I'd love to get my hands on a copy!Send us an email with your address!