PDA

View Full Version : Papa Tango Decals

wz2p7j
08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Getting ready to apply my decals from Papa Tango. Will I need to apply some decal film like Microscale or can I use them straight up without breaking?

Thanks, Chris

tbzep
08-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Getting ready to apply my decals from Papa Tango. Will I need to apply some decal film like Microscale or can I use them straight up without breaking?

Thanks, Chris
They are ALPS decals just like Excelsior's. You should use decal film. If they are metallic, use Future instead. I've successfully applied Microscale decal film over gold, but it ruined silver, so I'd not chance any of the metallics.

jeffyjeep
08-14-2011, 07:44 PM
When in doubt--do a test!

tbzep
08-14-2011, 08:29 PM
When in doubt--do a test!
It's more entertaining to "spray and pray". :D

Randy
08-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Testing is a good idea if you want to use that but
Tom's made 6-7 custom sets for us and we've never used anything over them, they look still look great after 6 years.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

jeffyjeep
08-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Actually, the MAIN reason I do a test is to see if the decals are extremely thin and "filmy". If they are (like first-run Estes Interceptor E decals) then I coat them with liquid decal film just to thicken them up a little and make them easier to handle.

Rocketflyer
08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
It's more entertaining to "spray and pray". :D

Yes, and you also get to practice using some bad words, thus "entertaining" any and all around you. :chuckle: Not that I've done any "entertaining." :D

jeffyjeep
08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Yes. Krylon should start with a "C".

jetlag
08-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Yes. Krylon should start with a "C".

Never use Krylon clear over Tom's decals. It will ruin them, and most likely Excelsior decals, as well. Tom tells you this in his instructions. I just don't use it at all.
Testor's decal bonder spray works great to film-over the bare decals. Once installed and dry, use Future. You'll be glad !
I use the Testors decal bonder over old decals, too, just in case some are cracking or about to crack. I've never 'kryed!'
While Krylon may work sprayed over some decals, when you cut the decals and wet them, as they slide off the backing, lttle bits of dried Krylon seem to get up under them. :mad:
I won't use the stuff; there are much better alternatives.

Allen

Randy
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
FWIW, I like to have a 3-4 of sets of decals for the ones I fly. That way I can refurbish or repair and keep them looking good.

And if I order from Tom or whoever, I get some extras just to help make it worth his while to do them.

Just a thought.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com