PDA

View Full Version : Evel Knievel's legacy

Tau Zero
09-08-2011, 09:49 PM
"37 years ago today..." was Sept. 8, 1974, and the following event put my adopted hometown on the map.:

http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/Will-Robbie-Knievel-outdo-his-fathers-Snake-River-Canyon-attempted-jump-129495073.html

Will Robbie Knievel outdo his father's Snake River Canyon attempted jump?

By Jay Michaels

TWIN FALLS, ID (KMVT) 37 years ago today, the eyes of the whole world were watching while Evel Knievel attempted to jump the Snake River Canyon.

On September 8th, 1974, Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel's steam powered X-2 Skycycle briefly took to the skies over the Snake River Canyon. The parachute deployed while the Skycycle was still on the ramp, and Knievel landed on the south side of the Snake River.

About a year and a half ago, his son Robbie Knievel met with 25 or 30 local agencies to try that jump again.

Shawn Barigar, President and CEO of the Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce, says, "At that time Robbie and his crew really came with and idea to jump the canyon. And we all said, we're open to having that conversation. But you need to bring us a plan, not an idea."

Evel Knievel died at age 69 in November 2007. Back in 1974, local residents and private companies hired by Knievel were dismayed by the aftermath of unpaid bills he reportedly left behind. That's a situation that their 21st century counterparts want to avoid.

Barigar says, "You're dealing with two counties, a state, federal agencies, Twin Falls City, Idaho State Police. All of these different agencies that have some say in this. And it can be a daunting task to say where do I start?"

Barigar says he told Robbie Knievel he needed to contact the Idaho Department of Lands to start the process of assembling a plan for the jump. Barigar says in the last half dozen years, about half a dozen people have said they want to jump the canyon. But he says none of them have contacted the local agencies that they need to get permission from.

Barigar says, "They need to have a plan in place that addresses those resources, either pays for them to be provided by us in the community, or bring security or whatever the case may be. But covers those costs, because nobody wants to be stuck at the end of the day with a bunch of bills that aren't paid."

Sept. 8, 2011

Tau Zero
09-08-2011, 09:58 PM
For the record, yes, I bought one from my local hobby shop, back in the day:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/cen2150.htm

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-08-2011, 10:17 PM
For the record, yes, I bought one from my local hobby shop, back in the day:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/cen2150.htm

Cheers,
Ever fly it? Anything left of it? I was looking at it as a cloning possibility last week. :cool:

Tau Zero
09-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Ever fly it? Anything left of it? I was looking at it as a cloning possibility last week. :cool:Flew it, yes. It was 13mm-powered, so it didn't go very high.

A couple of months ago, I came up with the idea of doing a ~150% ST-20 upscale, with a 4" long parabolic nose cone. To keep a similarly-sized mount, I was thinking in terms of a standard 18mm (ST-7) mount. I'd probably use 3/32" balsa for the fins.

--I'm just sayin'. :eek: ;) :D :cool:

BABAR
09-08-2011, 10:36 PM
I had one. Was something of an appropriate flight.
Went up about 50 feet, down 50 feet, thrashed around on the ground for a second, and then the chute popped out.

Earl
09-08-2011, 10:55 PM
"37 years ago today..." was Sept. 8, 1974, and the following event put my adopted hometown on the map.:

http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/Will-Robbie-Knievel-outdo-his-fathers-Snake-River-Canyon-attempted-jump-129495073.html

Cheers,

Jay-

Thanks for the history note. Man, hard to believe that event is pushing in on 40 years ago. Seems 'almost' like yesterday. Us boys in the neighborhood followed his every jump, and the Snake River event was the drama of all dramas. Too bad that chute ejected (for whatever reason....don't know if I ever really remember hearing the exact fault reasoning on that part of the jump) on the way up the launch ramp.

For a 12 year old kid who loved riding a bike and jumping home made ramps about as much as rockets and space, there weren't too many mortals cooler than Knievel back in those days.

I got the Centuri Sky Cycle in '76 and it was one of my favorite flyers back then. Matter of fact, it still flys occasionally still.....original chute, shock cord and all.

Thanks for the memory 'jogger' Jay!

Earl

Jerry Irvine
09-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Had the original EK or his crew had the experience of HPR rocketeers of the 2010's, that would have never happened. A plywood bulkhead failed and made the chute eject early.

Someone please do it today!

Jerry

ghrocketman
09-09-2011, 08:49 AM
That Sky Cycle was one of Evel's more IDIOTIC ventures, and that's saying a lot because MOST if not ALL of his stunts ranged from mildly to TOTALLY IDIOTIC.

Gus
09-09-2011, 08:45 PM
A wonderful, free, launchable card rocket of the Sky Cycle, designed by Eric Truax, can be downloaded at: http://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/

Eric's version looks better than my old Centuri one. :o

Tau Zero
10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/Son-of-Evel-Knievels-engineer-will-share-science-of-jump-on-web-TV-show-131896878.html

Son of Evel Knievel's engineer will share science of jump on web TV show

By Jay Michaels

TWIN FALLS, ID (KMVT) On September 8th, 1974, Evel Knievel rode his X-2 Skycycle into the sky over the Snake River Canyon. Robert Truax was the engineer behind the steam powered rocket.

37 years later, his son documentary producer Scott Truax is putting together a web-based TV show called Mech-Sci, for mechanics and science. He says the first episode will feature Knievel's Skycycle.

Truax says, "After my dad passed away, I was able to get ahold of all of his Evel Knievel-related drawings, pictures, movies."

Truax has a lot of the original footage of Knievel's jump, along with some inside information on exactly what went wrong.

He says, "To his credit, it was not Evel Knievel letting go of the handle. He did have a manual release, he held onto it the whole time. It was a parachute malfunction."

Truax says the Skycycle's parachute system was the only part of the Skycycle his dad didn't design and test. He says that you can find out scientifically what happened once he completes the first episode of his show. Right now he's raising money to do that.

If you'd like to keep up with Truax's progress, you can visit mech-sci.com (http://www.mech-sci.com), which will bounce you to his Facebook page.

Truax says, "My dream, ever since I was a little kid, is to recreate this, the only Evel Knievel stunt that somebody hasn't recreated. It's just a matter of finding the right person and the right funding."

Oct. 14, 2011

GregGleason
10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5052/5417269036_7fc5597787_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/5417269036/)
EVEL KNIEVEL SKY CYCLE-003 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/5417269036/) by Joe Grippo (http://www.flickr.com/people/joe_grippo/), on Flickr

Tau Zero
10-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Too bad that chute ejected (for whatever reason....don't know if I ever really remember hearing the exact fault reasoning on that part of the jump) on the way up the launch ramp.Earl (and everybody),

Scott Truax said that Knievel's steam-powered Skycycle had lots of base drag which generated a low pressure zone at the back of the rocket, which sucked the lid off the parachute compartment.

I find it interesting that the parachute system was the only system on the Skycycle that Bob Truax didn't design and test, which is what Scott Truax told me.

I guess Bob *was* a real engineer. ;) :D

Scott is also a very down-to-earth, enthusiastic, approachable guy. (Not to mention a really big Rush fan.) He also noticed the "Tau Zero" instructions cover posted on my divider at work. I told him that I also had the Centuri version of the Skycycle "back in the day." After looking at the photo that Greg Gleason posted above, it confirms my suspicions (along with Scott's) that Centuri enlarged the fins to make the model more stable than an official scale model would have been.

Once again, Scott Truax is a *great* guy. :D

--Oh, and he likes Mexican food, too.

Cheers,

Tau Zero
11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
<Bump> I added some pictures to this thread, for those of you who might be interested.

Thanks and cheers,

chrism
11-28-2011, 10:53 PM
You knew the jump was doomed when one of your sponsers is Chuckles candy :(

Mark II
11-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Interesting, but who is this Jay Michaels guy? :confused: ... :p

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-29-2011, 01:59 AM
You knew the jump was doomed when one of your sponsers is Chuckles candy :(
Agreed. Like sugar covered bugs. They squish in your mouth. And one was LICORICE flavored, if I remember right. Man, I hate licorice almost as much as Wilson Phillips. :rolleyes: :D

Jerry Irvine
11-29-2011, 07:31 AM
http://www.x-2skycycle.com/

UPscaler
11-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Jay,
Every time we visited (usually to watch BASE jumpers) we got a good look of the takeoff ramp that still stands. Just a big dirt hill, I believe when he actually attempted the jump he also had a giant launch rail of sorts. I've always wanted to see it up close, but it's no longer a 2 hour drive. Add about 30 to that and you'll be about right. :eek:

Braden

mojo1986
11-30-2011, 07:24 AM
How the heck do you make a steam-powered rocket??

tbzep
11-30-2011, 08:50 AM
How the heck do you make a steam-powered rocket??
Some guys from HARA built one back in the 90's. I saw it fly in Manchester, IIRC. One of the guys from that project was involved in building the motor for Rutan's Spaceship One, Tim Pickens. The steam rocket was fairly conventional. It used a heating element to bring the pressure vessel's water above the boiling point so that it would turn to steam upon release. I can't recall the rating they calculated, but the rocket was pretty darn heavy, so I'd guess maybe an "L"???
http://timpickens.com/tim-pickens-projects/steam-rockets/

The steam rocket was an extreme extension of the water rockets that Dan Coon (also HARA at the time) had been building. His water rockets flew with Polaroid camera payloads, and eventually, gimballed nozzle flight stablization. :cool:

BTW, this was more or less the same group of guys that were determined to put a "dirt" rocket into space. The project was a rockoon with an asphalt hybrid motor. It was tested in a conventional flight at Manchester, but I think their final design used a more standard fuel for the hybrid motor. It was launched off a barge in the Gulf, IIRC. I was at their asphalt motor test stand runs in Alabama and saw the conventional flight at Manchester. Those were fun times. :cool:

Jerry Irvine
11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
I saw a very successful steam rocket fly at RRS/MTA about 5 years ago or so. It was about 10-12" diameter and had a throat about 1/4". I think the ISP was 20-40. 1000-1300 psia peak.

Here is an image of an HTP steam rocket I "fired" with a measured ISP of 113.

http://v-serv.com/usr/motors/images/18in/1monopropellant.jpg

Jerry

dyaugo
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Jay-

Thanks for the history note. Man, hard to believe that event is pushing in on 40 years ago. Seems 'almost' like yesterday. Us boys in the neighborhood followed his every jump, and the Snake River event was the drama of all dramas. Too bad that chute ejected (for whatever reason....don't know if I ever really remember hearing the exact fault reasoning on that part of the jump) on the way up the launch ramp.

For a 12 year old kid who loved riding a bike and jumping home made ramps about as much as rockets and space, there weren't too many mortals cooler than Knievel back in those days.

I got the Centuri Sky Cycle in '76 and it was one of my favorite flyers back then. Matter of fact, it still flys occasionally still.....original chute, shock cord and all.

Thanks for the memory 'jogger' Jay!

Earl

A true stunt man. Did all his stunts on a Harley. Lets see some of the guys today who jump on the new tech bikes pull some of those stunts off.

ghrocketman
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
TRUE stunt man because he was stupid enough to try them on a Hardly-Movingson ???
C'mon now.
He was entertaining at times but was about as smart as a bag full of hammers.

Chuckles WERE and STILL ARE great candy !
Even the Licorice one !

Kinda funny that Evel stiffed a bunch of backers on that idiotic attempt.
Anybody foolish enough to back something that moronic desrves to LOSE.

dyaugo
12-01-2011, 03:20 PM
TRUE stunt man because he was stupid enough to try them on a Hardly-Movingson ???
C'mon now.
He was entertaining at times but was about as smart as a bag full of hammers.

Even the Licorice one !

Kinda funny that Evel stiffed a bunch of backers on that idiotic attempt.
Anybody foolish enough to back something that moronic desrves to LOSE.

Yeah and he always crashed too!!

You know he died Nov 30th 2007 would have been 4yrs yesterday

bob jablonski
12-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Actually he started on a Triumph. Watch the Ceaser Palace jump (crash). When he was jumping the moderen dirt bikes were not around. I know of 3 riders that have jumped over 300ft. And EK said it would never be done...
Mr. Bob
Starlight dude

Gus
12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Even the Licorice one !

Always looking for areas where we agree, and this is another! :D

I would love to know the story of how Chuckles became a sponsor. I don't remember them ever sponsoring anything else. I always thought it was pure Evel to have such an unusual sponsor since he was such an unusual guy. And could there have been anything less likely to inspire "chuckles" than a guy with an insane plan to launch himself over a canyon in a home-built rocket motorcycle? Kinda like having the Chuckles logo on the wall at the Colosseum during the gladiator contests. :eek:

ghrocketman
12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Gus-
I LIKE that....sponsors on Coliseum walls during Gladiator contests.

B-D 000 surgical silk, Band-Aid, Jack Daniel's, Acme Casket Co., Purina LION Chow, and Lilly MORPHINE come to mind as logical sponsors.... :D :chuckle:

Too bad you still cant get the bags full of single-flavor Chuckles from the 70's....I'd buy a case of the Lime ones to go with a pallet of Burger Chef Super Shef burgers.

chrism
12-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Here is a link to the famous Chuckles candy with its connection to the infamous Evel Knievel:

http://www.farleysandsathers.com/About/WhoWeAre.asp?BrandID=2

Tau Zero
12-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I would love to know the story of how Chuckles became a sponsor. I don't remember them ever sponsoring anything else. I always thought it was pure Evel to have such an unusual sponsor since he was such an unusual guy. And could there have been anything was less likely to inspire "chuckles" than a guy with an insane plan to launch himself over a canyon in a home-built rocket motorcycle? Kinda like having the Chuckles logo on the wall at the Colosseum during the gladiator contests. :eek:Steve,

Scott Truax said the story he heard was that a representative from Chuckles showed up with a suitcase full of $25,000 in cash shortly before the jump. Scott says he heard that lots of Evel's deals were completed "under the table" like that.

"Less likely to inspire 'chuckles?'" Oh, believe me, there were *plenty* of people laughing at the prospect.

Some high school kids even painted a red and while bullseye on the north side of the canyon for Knievel to "hit." :rolleyes: ;) :D

More than 37 years later, people are *still* laughing. :D

Jerry Irvine
12-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Despite his pecadillos and imperfections, he was a successful stunt man on the one metric that matters to stunt men. Media mind share.

The skycycle stunt did have a partial failure due to a mechanical error beyond the scope of the pilot.

I say partial failure because again, under the only metric of importance to a stunt man, it resulted in unprecedented media exposure and mind share. So much so, the majority of the population still knows about it and thinks about it.

You may poo poo a candy company sponsoring Knievel, but note this well. That was Nabisco, one of the largest food companies on the planet.

The $25k suitcase was possibly the best investment they ever made. That was pocket change for them!

Jerry

Earl
12-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Despite his pecadillos and imperfections, he was a successful stunt man on the one metric that matters to stunt men. Media mind share.

The skycycle stunt did have a partial failure due to a mechanical error beyond the scope of the pilot.

I say partial failure because again, under the only metric of importance to a stunt man, it resulted in unprecedented media exposure and mind share. So much so, the majority of the population still knows about it and thinks about it.

You may poo poo a candy company sponsoring Knievel, but note this well. That was Nabisco, one of the largest food companies on the planet.

The $25k suitcase was possibly the best investment they ever made. That was pocket change for them!

Jerry

I think you are spot on with every point Jerry. He was a master showman for his day. And he DID get a ton of media coverage back then....there wasn't anyone else even in the same league at the time. Was some it cheesy? Sure; some of it was designed to be.

And yes, that $25K was nothing money when it comes to marketing expenditures in those categories. Best money they probably ever spent...and probably would have been happy to double or triple it on the spot if need be. That jump that year was one of the biggest media events of that year, probably only second to Nixon's resignation the month before. The country was looking for a diversion from the crap of Watergate. Enter Evel to do just that, win or loose.

Earl

tbzep
12-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Must have worked.....I got an Evel Knievel stunt cycle for Christmas somewhere around that time. :cool:

bob jablonski
12-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Must have worked.....I got an Evel Knievel stunt cycle for Christmas somewhere around that time. :cool:
Those were repordued in the mid 90's. I got my kid one.
Mr. Bob
Starlight dude

Tau Zero
12-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Today I found an old blog by Scott Truax with a few interesting pictures:

http://x2skycycle.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Jerry Irvine
12-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Centuri Guy, see message 17 in this thread.

There does seem to be a lot of ongoing interest in this vehicle.

ghrocketman
06-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Anything new on this folks ?
Is Robbie still intending on following in his fathers footsteps of one MORONIC stunt after another ?
I would like to see a full attempt of the Snake River Canyon Jump, with absolutely NO additional safety features over the attempt in the 70's.
No backup chutes, no airbags, and no other mamby-pamby junk.
The safety features of the original were more than plenty. Don't pay for any stinkin' insurance or any other jackwagon useless permits either. Just GO DO IT.
Make it possible to deploy the chute ONLY AFTER the rocket motor has expended ALL fuel.
That way that "crock of crapola" pakk-o'-lies that the chute prematurely deployed can be avoided. Evel bailed on the original. Anything else is baloney.

Actually it would be a much better stunt for Robbie if he "pilots" a rocket-powered version of the original Evel Knievel Chevy STEP-VAN (bread truck/SWAT team van) off a ramp into that canyon. Now THAT would be an impressive feat. Even if a failure, a STEP VAN smashing into a mangled smouldering heap at the bottom of a canyon would be entertainment "A Plenty" !

dyaugo
06-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I always considered Evel Knievel a true stuntman compared to a lot of these guys today. You see these guys jump 100 yards on a motor cycle that has 2-3 feet of suspension...ok a great jump indeed, but try the fountains at Ceasar's on a Harley or Triumph? Now lets see how good you are? Evel made himself an icon at time when no one else out there was doing it. Talk about niche marketing. He set up his own ramps and also built them. The guy was awesome!!

His son Robbie has made some very successful jumps. I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that would like to see him clear the Snake River.

ghrocketman
06-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Jumping with a Hardly-Movingson or a Triumph does not show a real stunt, it shows a serious lack of intelligence for undertaking something just plain stupid. Use the correct tool for the job or at least one that gives the greatest chances of success. Anything less is just foolhardy horseplay. The nicest legitimate way to describe Evel would be "loudmouthed foolhardy never-grew-up kid". The only reason he never used a POS Farmall tractor off a jump ramp was he could not figure out a way to get up enough speed.

dyaugo
06-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Back then I'm sure there weren't many options.

Opinions vary.

ghrocketman
06-11-2012, 12:42 PM
I can almost picture that BOZO trying to jump some Vegas fountain (such as into the Bellagio fountain pond) on a Farmall or John Deere Tractor though. A COMBINE would be even funnier. The crash alone would be worth the price of the flight to Vegas.
Travis Pastrana has it over this lunkhead and always has. He undertakes stunts with a high liklihood of success using equipment that is logical for the task. Evel did neither.

Evel always appeared to have the attitude of "the loudmouth neighborhood bully in DESPERATE need of an A$$-kikkin" but never learned when he got it kikked, and it got kikked often.

dyaugo
06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
If there wasn't Evel then there wouldn't be a Travis Pastrana and others like him. Seems to me like you have a lot of hate issues towards the guy.

Evel in a left handed way started the X-Games and all the stunts that followed. A lot of these guys today were still in diapers or not even born when Evel was successfully making jumps no one else could at the time. Today's bikes have a lot of tricked out gear so any stunt is possible and the chance of success is greater. A true stuntman or daredevil doesn't always have the odds in his favor like Evel and that's what made him the GREATEST stuntman that ever walked the face of this planet.

Another great jump by Evel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UBtaVgaw84

I would like to see any of today's X-Game riders try this jump with exactly the same setup I bet dollars to donuts they won't come close. They lack the skills and guts/heart to even try it.

dyaugo
06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
A true ICON!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_g5VcGgLyM&feature=fvwrel

ghrocketman
06-11-2012, 02:09 PM
More like today's stunt riders have enough BRAINS to know when something is hopelessly stupid to even attempt. Evel's most spectacular rides were the CRASHES. Guess we can agree to disagree.
I still say he purposefully BAILED on the Snake River jump and pulled that chute early DELIBERATE.
That whole deal was a KING-SIZED JOKE.

Jerry Irvine
06-11-2012, 03:17 PM
More like today's stunt riders have enough BRAINS to know when something is hopelessly stupid to even attempt. Evel's most spectacular rides were the CRASHES. Guess we can agree to disagree.
I still say he purposefully BAILED on the Snake River jump and pulled that chute early DELIBERATE.
That whole deal was a KING-SIZED JOKE.No, it was a mechanical failure of the parachute retention system. That rocketbike was essentially made by model rocketeers. They were out of their element in many ways. The outcome was "run of press".

Jerry

ghrocketman
06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Bunk. Guff. Hogworsh. Phooey. Baloney. Horse-puckey. Rubbish. BS.
Not buyin' it.
He bailed early and yanked the deployment leever.

Shamous
06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Say what you want about him but he was an innovator and and an entertainer.

dyaugo
06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Say what you want about him but he was an innovator and and an entertainer.

I agree 100% !!! He basically provided a type of entertainment that was not available at the time. He cornered the market and made millions on his niche. I don't see any of the current riders out there today who have a line of toys made after them or the following of fans that Evel had. Millions back in the 70's was an enormous amount of money.

You talk about riders today not attempting jumps that are out of their league. Well that's exactly why Evel Knievel made a name for himself. He attempted jumps/stunts that were or seemed impossible and that's why he drew the crowds that he did and got paid the money he did. In otherwise words he was a true stuntman and a legend!!

The only riders that are full of BS are the current riders today. They are a bunch of pansies and sissys.

Jerry Irvine
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Bunk. Guff. Hogworsh. Phooey. Baloney. Horse-puckey. Rubbish. BS.
Not buyin' it.
He bailed early and yanked the deployment leever.If you simply gain-say the words of someone with first and second hand detailed information, there is little more to say.

Tau Zero
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/daredevil-in-the-details-jumping-the-snake-river-canyon/article_0b8b4f94-5d24-5291-855e-59c3468692c8.html

Daredevil in the Details: Jumping the Snake River Canyon

By Kimberlee Kruesi

TWIN FALLS • If Big Ed Beckley is going to ride his motorcycle across the Snake River Canyon, he has several hoops to jump through first.

The longtime motorcycle jumper hopes to successfully recreate Evel Knievel’s 1974 attempt to jump the canyon on his “skycycle” — or what was basically a large rocket.

While Knievel failed to complete the jump, Beckley says he has the right equipment and crew to make the jump possible.

However, when Beckley will actually attempt the jump remains unknown. Jumping the canyon requires the approval of multiple federal, state and local agencies. Acquiring the right amount of permits and agency approval takes time and money.

These are challenges that usually stump hopeful daredevils, said Twin Falls Mayor Greg Lanting.

“I always tell them ‘get landing approval first and then come to us,’” Lanting said. “We usually don’t hear from them after that.”

Knievel’s planned landing site is on public land, and his jump ramp on the south side of the canyon is as well, acquired by the city of Twin Falls in a land trade last year, Parks and Recreation Director Dennis Bowyer said in December. This means any new jump could require approval or permits from a variety of entities including Twin Falls city officials, county commissioners in Jerome and Twin Falls, the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL), the Idaho Department of Fish and Game and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

Approval also depends on submitting business plans and a clear outline of how the jump will be accomplished, Beckley said.

“It’s a huge business venture that must be done well and safely,” he said. “But I want to get this thing done in strides. This is a multi-million jump for me.”

IDL Area Manager Tim Duffner said he is contacted about 10 times a year to use the area as a landing site. Out of those who apply, three have attempted multiple times to acquire all the permits but only one has come close to getting everything, he said.

Usually, interested applicants pursue the permit process without getting the funding ahead of time, Duffner said.

“Once they get to a certain point, they still don’t have enough funds to complete it,” he said. “Nobody has that figured out.”

“Mad” Mike Hughes, another daredevil enthusiast, also wants to jump the Snake River Canyon. However, a lack of funding has kept him from scheduling a jump.

Hughes said he built a rocket similar to Knievel’s that has been approved by the Federal Aviation Administration. He hopes scheduling a test jump in the summer will attract sponsors.

“It’s kind of mind-boggling, looking back, I never would have done it again but I’m so far into now that I can’t go back,” he said. “No one wants to pay for it. We live in a different world where we pay for Wrestlemania and political correctness and everyone is a weenie.”

Other interested jumpers have included Robbie Knievel, Evel’s son, who attempted to set up a second jump in the 1990s, then visited TwinFalls in 2010 to announce renewed plans for another try. His 2010 effort also apparently petered out in the permitting process.

Despite the hurdles, Beckley remains optimistic that he will jump the Snake River Canyon. While he originally promised to jump the canyon on July 4 this year, Beckley now says the date remains flexible.

“Big things can happen, either good or bad, but I want this to happen,” he said. “I want you all to elect me mayor after I jump the canyon, not burn me at the stake.”

Jerry Irvine
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't think the smoke enhances the visibility vs. the parachute itself.

mojo1986
02-26-2013, 05:49 AM
Wow! Take a look at the photo of the rocket on the launch platform with Knievel about to enter it. Is that actually an engine hook sticking out at the back?

DaveR
02-26-2013, 08:35 AM
What's up with the guys with guns in the third pic? Crowd control?

Shamous
02-26-2013, 07:25 PM
What's up with the guys with guns in the third pic? Crowd control?

So much for the lone gunman theory. :rolleyes:

bubamech
02-27-2013, 03:44 AM
I found this at a garage sale recently and paid $10.00 . I wanted to be Evel Kneivel when I was a kid. I put playing cards in the spokes of my bicycle and jumped anything even resembling a ramp. I jumped down the stairs at the apartment building. To me growing up in the 70's he was an inspiration.

Jerry Irvine
02-27-2013, 07:13 AM
The ISP of a steam rocket is very low. It is simply a massflow device. Cool lunchbox!

ghrocketman
02-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Oh no ! Another IDIOT is going to attempt to jump this canyon ? Hopefully he won't BAIL prematurely. Having MACK TRUCKS and CHUCKLES as the sponsors for Evel's ROCKET attempt assured it would be a BAD JOKE.

Doug Sams
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Oh no ! Another IDIOT is going to attempt to jump this canyon ? Hopefully he won't BAIL prematurely. Having MACK TRUCKS and CHUCKLES as the sponsors for Evel's ROCKET attempt assured it would be a BAD JOKE.FWIW, according to a post I read, here I think, the premature recovery deployment was in fact not Evel's doing. It had not been adequately tested, IIRC.

Doug

Tau Zero
02-27-2013, 10:32 PM
FWIW, according to a post I read, here I think, the premature recovery deployment was in fact not Evel's doing. It had not been adequately tested, IIRC.Posts #10 and 12:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=131558&postcount=10

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=131580&postcount=12

Tau Zero
02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
What's up with the guys with guns in the third pic? Crowd control?The two in light-colored shirts on the right have badges and are obviously law enforcement types. ;-D

Tau Zero
02-27-2013, 10:41 PM
I found this at a garage sale recently and paid $10.00 . I wanted to be Evel Kneivel when I was a kid. I put playing cards in the spokes of my bicycle and jumped anything even resembling a ramp. I jumped down the stairs at the apartment building. To me growing up in the 70's he was an inspiration.Nice lunchbox! I saw one at a pawnshop/antique store in Boise last summer, but settled for taking a picture of it. ;) :D

ghrocketman
02-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Them thar' lunchboxes are great for smashin'.
Set up a jump ramp for your bike so your rear tire lands right on the middle of the box.

I hated those metal lunch boxes as a kid. Prevented me from a-smashin' that person's lunch which I was an expert at doing to lunch bags.

Doug Sams
02-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Posts #10 and 12:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=131558&postcount=10

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=131580&postcount=12Thanks, Jay! Good cite.

Doug

ghrocketman
02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Accchhh.
I still say that's a heep-o-baloney !
He yankked the release.

Tau Zero
07-21-2013, 05:45 PM
I wholeheartedly approve:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-14

tbzep
07-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Accchhh.
I still say that's a heep-o-baloney !
He yankked the release.
Even if he did, it took more balls than you have. Ever try to fly 120 ft on a 400 lb XR750 with 3-4 inches of late 60's technology suspension travel? ;)

ghrocketman
07-22-2013, 11:08 AM
No I would not attempt that with some 70's POS honda XR-ANYTHING.
I currently ride a late 90's Suzuki RM250 with about 12 inches of front/rear suspension travel and would not attempt any of the RETARD stunts that he did. Most freestyle pros would not either.

He was the iconic example of balls does NOT equate to BRAINS.
Stupid is as stupid does. Might have been an effective showman but that did not exclude him from being a MORON.
I bet that clown drove a truck with a 'monster truck' high suspension....I had a University professor that CORRECTLY related truck height to inelligence level- "Truck vehicle height is INVERSELY proportional to intelligence level !". He asked me what I drove and told him a Ford Mustang GT AND a Chevy Camaro Z28. He stated I obviously had no problem then....

bob jablonski
07-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Pastrana's first backflip off a canyon was on 90's vintage Suzuki (I have it on video).
Mr Bob
Starlight Dude

dlazarus6660
07-23-2013, 03:07 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going. Anyone get the Semroc Skycycle yet? I hope you do a build thread . :D

ghrocketman
07-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Pastrana is the exception that proves the rule.
100 times more bad-ass stunts than that Knievel clown could even dream of.
His safe landing-to crash ratio is much more to the positive than Evel's was.

Travis, while highly crazy, still has enuff brains to know you don't use a "Heavy Bike" for jumping ANYTHING.

If brains were dynamite, Evel could not blow his own nose. If brains were raw sewage, Evel could overflow a septic tank. He was a permanent member of the TARD CARD club.

bob jablonski
07-25-2013, 09:45 AM
How true. And his Rally car skills arn't to shabby. But E.K . inspired him and most of the freestyle guys like Deagn Metzger etc.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

blackshire
07-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Pastrana is the exception that proves the rule.
100 times more bad-ass stunts than that Knievel clown could even dream of.
His safe landing-to crash ratio is much more to the positive than Evel's was.

Travis, while highly crazy, still has enuff brains to know you don't use a "Heavy Bike" for jumping ANYTHING.

If brains were dynamite, Evel could not blow his own nose. If brains were raw sewage, Evel could overflow a septic tank. He was a permanent member of the TARD CARD club.No argument here. He was also a petty criminal, a poacher, and was extremely arrogant (two people of my acquaintance, including a former co-worker, had dealings with Evel and related some interesting stories about his antics). But Evel did have one thing on the ball--he was a great showman and self-promoter. I don't follow these "stunt sports" (for want of a better term), and I have never heard of the other above-mentioned stunt motorcyclists, but I *have* heard of Evel Knievel. His suits, sceptre, and swagger made him a colorful and unforgettable figure, and his stunt successes--and failures, no doubt--inspired his successors. He had the guts--if not the horse sense--to attempt stunts that could easily have bumped him off this mortal coil (and nearly did, many times), and I'll grant him that.

tbzep
07-25-2013, 05:54 PM
No I would not attempt that with some 70's POS honda XR-ANYTHING.

That's good, because the XR-750 is a Harley, not a Honda. It's much more famous for dirt tracking than flying. ;)

http://www.ashonbikes.com/sites/default/files/images/Harley_XR750_04.jpg

ghrocketman
07-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Well then I stand corrected...would not attempt it on any POS HARLEY XR-mess anything heavy-bike.

It takes a SPECIAL BRAND of STOOPYD to jump anything on any bike ever produced by H-D, including those 70's HASHIMOTO-MESS AMF-Harley supposed trailbikes.
Goes to show a BOWLING BALL/ALLEY/PIN company should NEVER own a motorcycle manufacturer.

Evel was KING of the DOUCHEBAGS.

foamy
07-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Hey gh, he may have been king of the douche bags, but as Blackshire said, he's the only name anyone associates with the word "daredevil."

I've seen other "stunt" riders (note the descriptor), but they are all totally unmemorable. Meh. Besides, doing jumps on a dirt bike is an everyday thing these days. Nothing special.

EK's failures were as spectacular as his success's, if not more so.

ghrocketman
07-29-2013, 09:50 AM
I find Pastrana to be FAR more memorable than Knievel.
Great showman with stunts that almost always WORK.

Mostly Knievel is remembered for the incredible stupidity of his moronic stunt failures, and for a FAILED and never-repeated attempt to jump that 'snake river canyon' in an equally idiotic vehicle.
If he did not INTENTIONALLY BAIL and was a mechanical premature chute deployment like some SUGGEST, why did he not ever attempt it again ?

foamy
07-29-2013, 01:33 PM
I can't say anything about the Snake River fiasco. I was disappointed just like everyone else and (I too) secretly think he pulled the plug—er, 'chute. A sad end for a coloful career.

But... who the heck is this Pastrana? Sounds like a sandwich. Never heard of 'im and precious few others have either, I expect. Come on gh, dirt bikes just don't have the same panache as jumping a Harley. Seriously...

That and you know as well as I do that people watched Knievel just because there was the chance (however slim) that he might actually make it. Not vice-versa. That was the point. The sell.

This "Pastrana" (whoever he is) is going to have to change his name to something much more memorable, get some serious marketing and perform some wildly iffy/outlandish acts if he is ever to usurp the "Daredevil" moniker from EK. That's a fact. Otherwise he's just another "stuntman."

Remember, EK predates "YouTube" and such stuff. There's more than enough idiots getting their fifteen minutes these days. Motorcycle jumping is not on the charts. Remeber the guy who freefell from space? He would have to do something on that scale a few more times to get the same name recognition that EK has—whatever anyone thinks of his honesty, personality, etc.

tbzep
07-29-2013, 06:07 PM
If he did not INTENTIONALLY BAIL and was a mechanical premature chute deployment like some SUGGEST, why did he not ever attempt it again ?

Truax never had a successful test of the rocket leading up to the jump. The best odds anybody said of success was Evel himself stating it was probably less than 50-50. I'm sure it was partly for the media and partly the truth, but he stated he would attempt anyway because he had given his word and there was a lot of money invested in the attempt. As dumb as you say he was, he wasn't dumb enough to try it a second time.

Even if he had wanted to, he had a crap load of trouble getting permission for the first try. He had to get approval from agencies, counties, cities, etc. on both sides of the canyon. In additon, he had to lease 300 acres at about $35k to keep the govt. off his back. His tries to do it over the Grand Canyon were thwarted by the govt not giving him clearance to "fly" over federal land. The powers that be wouldn't have given him permission for a second attempt even if he had wanted to do it. In recent years, his son Robbie and some guy by the name of Beckly ? have attempted to get permission to recreate the jump but haven't been successful. Nobody wants to give permission for somebody to die on their land.

In addition, the networks wouldn't pay enough to make it worth the considerable amount invested in the jump. It ended up being a closed circuit event broadcast to movie theaters, iirc instead of tv. It lost money, so there's no way he would have been able to get enough investors to cover the cost of a second attempt.

tbzep
07-29-2013, 06:25 PM
But... who the heck is this Pastrana?

Pastrana started out in motocross and won a few championships in the lower displacement classifications, iirc. He is one of the X-Games most decorated pioneers. The X-Games includes stunting on bikes in a timed freestyle type event where they do multiple flips, and other stunts. They also do high jumps over a bar with the bikes, etc. Pastrana and Mike Metzger were usually the names that came right before, "...is the first person to ever do a ______ on a bike." Insert things like back flips, 360's, double back flips, etc. in those blanks and you'll get the idea. If you've never seen any footage, you need to see some. It will blow your mind. I haven't kept up with him in recent years because he's moved on to 4 wheels....that's 2 wheels too many. ;)

One difference in modern day guys like Pastrana compared to Knievel is that they practice in jump pits full of foam. They make hundreds of jumps per day, many unsuccessful, without so much as a scratch. They are jumping with very light weight bikes with great power to weight ratio compared to late 60's tech Knievel used. Suspension is light-years beyond anything available back then. Knievel jumped in leathers with no armor. Today's jumpers have body armor from head to toe. We could get into the physics of speeds needed for distance jumping vs. freestyle also. In other words, as dangerous as Pastrana's job is, it is like going for a walk in the woods compared to the dangers Knievel faced. However, Knievel only did a few events a year later in his career compared to the daily practicing and competition series that riders do today.

chrism
07-30-2013, 10:18 AM
If anybody has the OTA channel Movies!, they will air the Evel Knievel story starring George Hamilton on Thursday, Aug. 1 at 10:30 pm EST. To see if it is in your area check out their website:

www.moviestvnetwork.com

bob jablonski
07-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Pastrana started out in motocross and won a few championships in the lower displacement classifications, iirc. He is one of the X-Games most decorated pioneers. The X-Games includes stunting on bikes in a timed freestyle type event where they do multiple flips, and other stunts. They also do high jumps over a bar with the bikes, etc. Pastrana and Mike Metzger were usually the names that came right before, "...is the first person to ever do a ______ on a bike." Insert things like back flips, 360's, double back flips, etc. in those blanks and you'll get the idea. If you've never seen any footage, you need to see some. It will blow your mind. I haven't kept up with him in recent years because he's moved on to 4 wheels....that's 2 wheels too many. ;)

One difference in modern day guys like Pastrana compared to Knievel is that they practice in jump pits full of foam. They make hundreds of jumps per day, many unsuccessful, without so much as a scratch. They are jumping with very light weight bikes with great power to weight ratio compared to late 60's tech Knievel used. Suspension is light-years beyond anything available back then. Knievel jumped in leathers with no armor. Today's jumpers have body armor from head to toe. We could get into the physics of speeds needed for distance jumping vs. freestyle also. In other words, as dangerous as Pastrana's job is, it is like going for a walk in the woods compared to the dangers Knievel faced. However, Knievel only did a few events a year later in his career compared to the daily practicing and competition series that riders do today.
Pastrana Was in freestyle before he went pro MX. at 14 he had his spine come loose from his pelvis and was lucky to be walking let alone racing due to freestyle crash. DeCoster almost didn't sign him with Suzuki because of freestyle, But his draw and ability was to good to pass on.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

tbzep
07-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Pastrana Was in freestyle before he went pro MX. at 14 he had his spine come loose from his pelvis and was lucky to be walking let alone racing due to freestyle crash. DeCoster almost didn't sign him with Suzuki because of freestyle, But his draw and ability was to good to pass on.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

No arguments on his earliest pro titles. However, like I said in my previous post, he started out in MX. He won five Loretta Lynn Amateur Nationals MX titles starting at age 9, (Her Hurricane Mills Dude Ranch and track is about 40 miles from me.) and was riding MX much earlier than that first title. ;)

As for him getting signed to Suzuki, you can see why he's been so loyal to them where other guys often jump ship for bigger $$$ contracts.

ghrocketman
07-31-2013, 10:26 AM
The only dirt bikes I ever own are Suzuki's.
Will gladly ride a Kawasaki, just have never owned one.

Might take a Yamaha for a test-spin, but would not own one.
You would not ever see me riding any POS honda ever though.

mbauer
08-10-2013, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=ghrocketman]Gus-
I LIKE that....sponsors on Coliseum walls during Gladiator contests.

B-D 000 surgical silk, Band-Aid, Jack Daniel's, Acme Casket Co., Purina LION Chow, and Lilly MORPHINE come to mind as logical sponsors.... :D :chuckle:
QUOTE]

Might want to add Olympia Beer to the list. His first steam rocket was made with the plan to use Oly beer for the liquid.

Mike

ghrocketman
08-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Olympia beer SUCKS.
Even being "Dirty Harry's" beer of choice in all those Clint Eastwood movies does not make it cool.

Figures that fool Knievel would drink that slop.

tbzep
08-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Olympia beer SUCKS.
Even being "Dirty Harry's" beer of choice in all those Clint Eastwood movies does not make it cool. Nope, but a cooler full of salted ice will. ;)

Figures that fool Knievel would drink that slop.

Odds are that he was just sponsored by them and only drank really high quality beer like Hamm's, Shafer's or Weideman. :eek:

Most of the athletes sponsored by Monster, Red Bull, Rockstar, and other energy drinks empty those cans and pour in water so that they will be seen on camera with their sponsor's product. I often see them doing that very deed in the garages and pits of motocross and road racing teams. (I don't watch the "left turns only" asscar series, but I suspect they do the same thing.)

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-12-2013, 08:09 PM
I got an Olympia Beer shirt at a seconds outlet back when I was in high school. At the time the schools were starting to get pricky about what was said on shirts, and many of my friends were sent home to change because of the objections to their shirts. I wore my Olympia shirt for three years and never even got looked at funny. No one other than my fellow beer can collectors had ever even heard of it. :D

ghrocketman
08-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Shaefer and Weidemann are even worse than Olympia.
Definite second-rate pi$$-water brews, right up there with other trash like Goebel, Drewrys, Heileman's, Meister Brau, Keystone, Old Milwaukee (smells like DEAD roadkill), Carling Black Label, and Blatz. For a LONG time, the majority of the second-rate trash brews all came from the Stroh Brewery in Detroit. I think they got their water straight from the grossly OVER-polluted Detroit River. It would explain the extreme UN-drinkability from hideous stench and flavor.
The only worse beer than those listed above is Buckhorn. That stuff is second-rate SEWER WATER, not fit for consumption by any PLANT or Animal ! Honest-to-BADNESS make you RETCH disgusting flavor.

One of the brews that used to be a "Cheap" garbage brand that is actually great due to return to the "Classic 1960's and earlier" formula is Schlitz. It is kinda hard to find, but now that it is it's own brand and NOT made by the SLOP Stroh Brewery of Detroit, it is really good stuff at a reasonable price. It tastes like a very smooth mild ale, that has PLENTY of flavor.

tbzep
08-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Shaefer and Weidemann are even worse than Olympia.

Which is exactly why I listed them. ;)

ghrocketman
03-20-2016, 01:53 AM
I STILL say that FOOL Knievel YANKED-THE-LEEVER prematurely during that foolhardy Snake Canyon River Gorge jump in that POS Sky-Cycle.
Nothing short of in-cockpit camera evidence will EVER convince me any different.
He "screwed the pooch".

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-20-2016, 02:06 PM
I STILL say that FOOL Knievel YANKED-THE-LEEVER prematurely during that foolhardy Snake Canyon River Gorge jump in that POS Sky-Cycle.
Nothing short of in-cockpit camera evidence will EVER convince me any different.
He "screwed the pooch".
What's up, GH? New spoon? Too much on topic stuff going on around here so you felt like you had to stir up some s*it or just fantasize about it some more? An 18 month dead thread is the best you can do?

blackshire
03-21-2016, 07:50 AM
What's up, GH? New spoon? Too much on topic stuff going on around here so you felt like you had to stir up some s*it or just fantasize about it some more? An 18 month dead thread is the best you can do?Well, I suppose we could take up a collection for purchasing a ouija board for him (or for securing the services of a shamanic practitioner), because asking ol' Evel would be rather difficult otherwise... :-)

Rob Campbell
03-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Well, I suppose we could take up a collection for purchasing a ouija board for him (or for securing the services of a shamanic practitioner), because asking ol' Evel would be rather difficult otherwise... :-)

Nah. Just wait a year or two. Google is working on an app for that.

ghrocketman
03-21-2016, 01:56 PM
LOL.
I have been posting too much rocketry-related stuff lately and needed to re-hash some smarminess toward that Evel CLOWN and HAD to start an April Fool's Day PRANKIN' thread.

blackshire
03-21-2016, 11:56 PM
LOL.
I have been posting too much rocketry-related stuff lately and needed to re-hash some smarminess toward that Evel CLOWN and HAD to start an April Fool's Day PRANKIN' thread.I never met him, but two people I knew who did found Evel to be...different from most folks:

Don Webb, a local television and radio broadcaster in south Florida (he lived on the same block as my late Aunt Jane, in Coconut Grove in Miami) once recounted a game of golf that he played with Evel Knievel. In one of the water traps, some coots (water birds somewhat like ducks) were swimming. As they were playing, Evel kept looking at the coots and wondering out loud if they would make good eating. After a few moments, he said to Don, "I'm gonna shoot some of them!", and then proceeded to pull a sawed-off shotgun out of his golf bag. Don managed to talk Evel out of it, pointing out that discharging a firearm within the Miami city limits was illegal unless it was for self-defense. Also:

A late co-worker of mine, Dorothy Waggoner, met Evel in Whitefish (it might be White Fish), Montana, where she and her brother Harry (also now deceased) ran a dry-cleaning establishment before they moved to Alaska. It was frequented by many celebrities (they knew Jim Nabors and Carol Burnette well) who had/have homes there. Well:

One day when we were working at the parking authority at Fairbanks International Airport, she was telling me stories about the various celebrities they'd met. I asked her about Knievel (recalling his "guaranteed results" hunting guide service in that area that he once got arrested for, because he led his clients into Yellowstone National Park [he claimed he didn't know he'd crossed the park's boundaries, but the judge didn't believe him]). Dorothy's happy countenance changed instantly at the mention of his name, and she shouted, "Evel Knievel was an ARSE!" (but using the American pronunciation of that word instead). Then:

After describing his petty crimes, she mentioned an incident in which Evel had come to pick up clothes that he had dropped off at their store to be dry-cleaned. As he paid Dorothy at the counter, he looked at her expectantly, but she just processed the transaction in a polite, ordinary manner. He turned to leave, but then he stopped, turned to face her again, and then asked her, "Don't you want my autograph?" She replied, "No." Then he asked her, "Do you know who I am?" "Yes," she responded, "And I still don't want your autograph." He let the matter drop and left.

ghrocketman
03-22-2016, 01:07 AM
Good for her !
he may have been King of the 'spectacle' stuntmen, but he was also the KING of all Douchebags.
Too bad that guy he beat up with the bat did not seek ambush-style physical retribution/vengeance upon him. He desesrved a D-Town (Detroit) style BEET-DOWNN.
In any legitimate dictionary an illustration of the word "Rectum" features a picture of this DIRTBAG.

blackshire
03-22-2016, 03:07 AM
Good for her !
he may have been King of the 'spectacle' stuntmen, but he was also the KING of all Douchebags.
Too bad that guy he beat up with the bat did not seek ambush-style physical retribution/vengeance upon him. He desesrved a D-Town (Detroit) style BEET-DOWNN.
In any legitimate dictionary an illustration of the word "Rectum" features a picture of this DIRTBAG.At least that beating cost Evel his lucrative licensing contract for the toys of his motorcycle and Skycycle--that was the beginning of the end of his celebrity career. He was also once arrested when he showed up to be the Grand Marshall of a parade in his home town, because he had multiple outstanding warrants for his arrest. :-)

luke strawwalker
03-22-2016, 08:21 AM
At least that beating cost Evel his lucrative licensing contract for the toys of his motorcycle and Skycycle--that was the beginning of the end of his celebrity career. He was also once arrested when he showed up to be the Grand Marshall of a parade in his home town, because he had multiple outstanding warrants for his arrest. :-)

Hahahaha.... that's funny right thar...

I like "Super Dave" Osbourne better anyway... LOL:)

OL J R :)

Doug Sams
03-22-2016, 10:22 AM

OL J R :)Don't forget Elvis !! He and Evel dressed a lot like with the red-white-blue jump suits.

I had kinda forgotten about that until I took a tour at Graceland a few years ago and saw several of Elvis' costumes on display, many of which could have passed for Evel's outfits.

Doug

ghrocketman
03-22-2016, 05:15 PM
In the STUNT department, I rate Evel ABOVE "STUPOR" Dave Osbourne.
At least SOME of Evel's stunts were successful. STUPOR Dave's NEVER work.
As a PERSON, Stupor-Dave wins dands-down.
Evel was a total POS.

blackshire
03-23-2016, 09:21 AM

OL J R :)I don't know if it was planned that way, or if the police learned that Evel had been invited to be the Grand Marshall and decided to avail themselves of the opportunity to bust him. But either way, he had no idea it was coming, and I'd love to see a picture of the look on Evel's face when he found himself doing a "perp parade" instead! Also:

Some years ago I had heard (on a TV program about the relatives and descendants of historical figures) that "Super Dave" Osbourne's real name is Bob Einstein, and that he is actually related to Albert Einstein (given that many current-day politicians are related [such as former Vice President Cheney and President Obama being cousins, for just one example], I'm not surprised). Super Dave and Albert both even work/worked in the same field--physics--although Super Dave's physics demonstrations often go awry (frequently with a little help from Fuji Akahito, his stunt co-ordinator)... :-)

blackshire
03-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Don't forget Elvis !! He and Evel dressed a lot like with the red-white-blue jump suits.

I had kinda forgotten about that until I took a tour at Graceland a few years ago and saw several of Elvis' costumes on display, many of which could have passed for Evel's outfits.

Doug

.You bring up an interesting social phenomenon. Many Americans like the *idea* of nobility and even royalty, even though not wanting to be ruled over by a royal family--it's a matter of liking the -trappings- of royalty (which include the fine, special clothing and the protocols of public behavior). In many people's minds, Elvis and Evel were a sort of "royalty by deeds" because of their accomplishments in their respective fields (Elvis still is, to many people). Elvis was the "King of Rock 'n Roll," and Evel was the "King of Stunt Men." Also:

Evel Knievel even had a royal scepter, and Elvis may have had one, too. I suppose it's possible that they may have mimicked each other either subconsciously or knowingly (but secretly). Both being southerners who rose from poverty to fame and fortune by their own efforts, I wouldn't be surprised if they admired each other's achievements, even if they never met (which they may have--I don't know). This phenomenon has even "worked in the other direction," so to speak:

The astronauts--especially the original Mercury Seven--were not infrequently compared with knights (due to their public and societal obligations as well as their work). This comparison even moved Queen Elizabeth II to want to confer knighthood upon Alan Shepard (the first American in space, of course), after he commanded the Apollo 14 lunar landing mission. At the time he was on tour in Great Britain, acting (if I recall correctly) in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre group. When she expressed her desire to knight him, an aide told her that he couldn't be knighted because he wasn't a British subject. Instead, they created the status of honorary knighthood, and she made him an honorary knight.

Doug Sams
03-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Some years ago I had heard (on a TV program about the relatives and descendants of historical figures) that "Super Dave" Osbourne's real name is Bob Einstein, and that he is actually related to Albert Einstein ...I can't say if Super Dave is related to the Albert Einstein all us rocketeer types know, but his real-life brother is named Albert Einstein (and is also a comic/actor as well). As a result of the ambiguity, he uses the name Albert Brooks. IIRC, he borrowed Mel's surname for his stage name.

Doug

blackshire
03-23-2016, 05:59 PM
I can't say if Super Dave is related to the Albert Einstein all us rocketeer types know, but his real-life brother is named Albert Einstein (and is also a comic/actor as well). As a result of the ambiguity, he uses the name Albert Brooks. IIRC, he borrowed Mel's surname for his stage name.

Doug

.It could be that he isn't related to the physicist, because Einstein (like Frankenstein--my brother-in-law Kip's paternal grandfather changed his surname from Frankenstein to Amazon) is probably a fairly common surname. (This reminds me of the late amateur astronomer Patrick Moore's tongue-in-cheek assertion that Shakespeare's plays weren't written by William Shakespeare, but by another man with the same name... :-) )

Shamous
03-23-2016, 09:10 PM
Good for her !
In any legitimate dictionary an illustration of the word "Rectum" features a picture of this DIRTBAG.
Rectum? Darn near killed him!

dlazarus6660
03-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Rectum? Darn near killed him!

My brother always say's this.

Where is this from?

ghrocketman
03-24-2016, 12:00 AM
It's from some old coot/geezer.

blackshire
03-24-2016, 07:11 AM
My brother always say's this.

Where is this from?I don't know who first uttered it, but the late Neil Rogers (1942 - 2010, see: https://neilrogers.org/ ), a south Florida radio talk show host, had that saying on his cart machine in the studio (recorded by Mitch Lewis, a voice-over artist and occasional fill-in talk host on 610 WIOD in the 1990s, when Rogers worked there; Lewis has done some national radio ads since then). It can be accessed here, on the "Neil Rogers Soundboard" (see: https://neilrogers.org/soundboard/ )--just scroll down to the (alphabetized by name) button labeled "Rectum dam near killed em" (with the second word in that title spelled correctly on his site, of course). There are also many other sound clips, bits, parody songs, and archived shows of Neil's on the site.