PDA

View Full Version : New Semroc Ad

Initiator001
09-10-2011, 11:58 PM
The new issue of Sport Rocketry magazine features a new/modified ad by Semroc.

All the models shown are available except for the WAC Corporal. Does this mean it will be ready soon..? ;)

foamy
09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
I wonder just how effective that ad is. If it's in Sport Rocketry Magazine, the headline seems inappropriate. Readers are obviously building and flying their own model rockets already. They don't need coercion. They need a call to action and to know about the benefits of buying/dealing with Semroc.

Semroc (it seems to me, as I am a big fan of theirs) has a loyal following. Testimonial ads from noted builder(s) would be a better bet. Someone extolling the virtues (of which there are many) of Semroc's customer service, the quality of their kits, parts for darn near any rocket project you can dream up, variety of kits (which the graphic does show), their Retro-Repro Series, etc., etc. The list goes on.

What was that quote someone on here said and someone else picked up for a tag? "The answer is almost always Semroc" would be a pretty darn good headline or tag line. Not only is it catchy—it's pretty much true and implies a very positive/very useful attribute. Headlines should always spell out a benefit or a reason why their product/service is superior. Body copy should expand and explain that benefit/position and possibly others. Semroc is not at a loss for headlines or copy. That ad falls well short of what that business deserves. No offense is meant to anyone and I hope I didn't overstep some boundary with this post. Advertising and design is what I do and have done for over thirty years and I'm naturally critical, particularly when it's a company I really like. And there aren't many.

Rocketflyer
09-27-2011, 12:13 PM
That was pretty dang good! :) And you are right; Semroc does deserve better!

I wonder just how effective that ad is. If it's in Sport Rocketry Magazine, the headline seems inappropriate. Readers are obviously building and flying their own model rockets already. They don't need coercion. They need a call to action and to know about the benefits of buying/dealing with Semroc.

Semroc (it seems to me, as I am a big fan of theirs) has a loyal following. Testimonial ads from noted builder(s) would be a better bet. Someone extolling the virtues (of which there are many) of Semroc's customer service, the quality of their kits, parts for darn near any rocket project you can dream up, variety of kits (which the graphic does show), their Retro-Repro Series, etc., etc. The list goes on.

What was that quote someone on here said and someone else picked up for a tag? "The answer is almost always Semroc" would be a pretty darn good headline or tag line. Not only is it catchy—it's pretty much true and implies a very positive/very useful attribute. Headlines should always spell out a benefit or a reason why their product/service is superior. Body copy should expand and explain that benefit/position and possibly others. Semroc is not at a loss for headlines or copy. That ad falls well short of what that business deserves. No offense to Carl or Cheryl—just say'in.

STRMan
09-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Yep. That is one of my tag lines now. I even credit the author. What a great add campaign that would be.

luke strawwalker
09-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, semantics aside, but maybe the headline is meant to put emphasis on BUILD and fly your own rockets... IE move beyond the RTF plastic stuff most common to "newbies" and being most available through common distribution systems in the hobby world, moving toward building and flying more interesting designs using more advanced "building skills" and techniques.

Let's face it, most of us 'old hats' around the rocketry community KNOW Semroc's long past in the hobby and great products, service, and reputation. But NEWBIES on the other hand, have probably never heard of them before... (I've actually had people ask me about Dr. Zooch Rockets at launches and were shocked and amazed to find out that there ARE other rocket companies besides the "Big E" (much as I like the Big E, especially since they're recent improvements!).

I'd say that, considering the 'noob' as the target audience, that's a pretty succinct ad.

Though, I DO think that ads along the lines you mentioned "When you need something-- the answer is SEMROC" while outlining their great service and extensive parts inventory and all the design possibilities they support, would be a great "angle" to aim at the more 'established' set of hobbiests...

Guess it depends on what demographic you're aiming at...

Later! OL JR :)

Mark II
09-27-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd say that, considering the 'noob' as the target audience, that's a pretty succinct ad. Hey, the Space Plane is back! :) ;)

All the models shown are available except for the WAC Corporal. Does this mean it will be ready soon..? ;):D

foamy
09-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Eh, I just downloaded a sample Sport Rocketry magazine. Number 1: I had no idea of the magazines existence. No. 2: It's published by the NAR which accounts for it's circulation. No. 3: Any model rocket company who has any presence at all is advertising in there. No. 4: None of the ads are well thought out. They are clearly there to maintain presence, recognition and to show product.

I have to say, Semroc does the best job of that by virtue of the fact that they bought a full page and show more rockets and a greater variety of rockets than any of the other advertisers. So, taken in context—it's possibly one of the more effective ads in the pub. Jus' need a new headline and have the logo and copy swap places.

I'll shut up now. Just have to learn to keep my opinions to myself and my fingers off the keyboard in these situations. Wish me luck.

My apologies to the good folks at Semroc.

Carl@Semroc
09-28-2011, 11:30 AM
... My apologies to the good folks at Semroc.
There is no need to apologize! We sincerely appreciate all the comments and suggestions. And there are a lot of good ones here (and on other threads.) Having friends that are encouraging us to be better is one of our blessings.

I do not spend much time on ads for several reasons. When the three of us wake up each morning we know we have a maximum of about 12-15 hours each day to accomplish as much as we can to stay in business. When we don’t release a new kit every month or so, we will die as a company. Without outside income unrelated to Semroc, we would have died years ago. The market is that small. It takes about 200-300 hours to release the first 150 run for an average size kit. We have to re-kit about two of the released kits a week to replenish stock. We spend at least 4-6 hours a day cutting nose cones and fins for inventory. I spend a few hours a year working on ads. Why? I don’t think the level of return would increase enough to warrant the additional time spent.

We do not advertise in Sport Rocketry to generate revenue. Over the past 8 years we have spent almost $15,000 for ads and have 207 customers that said they first heard of us from Sport Rocketry. That is about $70.00 in cost to get one new customer! Of those 207, they have not generated half of the $15,000 cost in gross sales. We did the free Astron promotion last year to help generate more membership in the NAR and mailed 935 of them at a cost of close to $6.00 each for postage, shipping box, material cost and direct labor (no profit.) We generated 5 new customers from the list of people that we sent the kits. That is about $1,000 per new customer. We have offered a 10% discount to NAR members since 2004 with over $10,000 in benefits to members. We have attended every NARAM since 2001 and several NARCON’s, donating several thousand dollars in prizes and trophies over the years. If we looked at the NAR from a pragmatic point of view, as the more successful “big boys” have, we would not be making such obviously poor business decisions. When finances look really tight, we do ask ourselves why we continue to support the NAR at such a loss. We have seriously talked a few times about cutting all advertising and financial support to the NAR to save money.

I joined the NAR in 1963 not because of what I would get for the $5.00, but to be a part of an organization that would fight for the hobby and help it grow. We still look at the NAR as our champion that will keep the hobby alive long after we are gone and Semroc is a fading memory. Many of our most loyal customers share that same belief and are still members AND still buy from us. We, therefore, give to the NAR without any expectation of a measurable return. It is an investment in the future, which bean counters cannot quantify or justify.

I agree that I need to spend some more time on ads, our web site, a catalog, promotions, and other things that I have not even thought about, but I am still working on some really hot projects that are waiting for some left over time, after we do what we absolutely have to do. I think often of the reminder that “Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you!” Trying to avoid those days when the bear gets us!

stefanj
09-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Semroc's best advertising:

US!

Build their stuff and show it off at your local launch.

P.S.

I plugged Semroc in an article that will appear in the next MAKE Magazine! They're doing an issue on models and kits.

Shreadvector
09-28-2011, 01:53 PM

US!

P.S.

I plugged Semroc in an article that will appear in the next MAKE Magazine! They're doing an issue on models and kits.

When i attend a NARAM every few years I make sure that i buy $100 to $200 worth of SEMROC kits and bring them back to sell to new folks at our local launches at the same price I paid for them. I even ate the UPS shipping cost back from NARAM-50. This way new folks can see and buy very cool kits and hopefully follow-up with their own direct purchase.

Clubs with range stores should consider this.

ghrocketman
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Fred- That's a GREAT idea !

Seems even we can agree on occasion.

Bill
09-28-2011, 07:28 PM

US!

When i attend a NARAM every few years I make sure that i buy $100 to $200 worth of SEMROC kits and bring them back to sell to new folks at our local launches at the same price I paid for them. I even ate the UPS shipping cost back from NARAM-50. This way new folks can see and buy very cool kits and hopefully follow-up with their own direct purchase.

I am more likely to buy a kit after seeing a built model in action on the range or on display at a club meeting or in a store than examining a bag of parts hanging on a peg.

I am more likely to buy a kit after examining a bag of parts than seeing a picture and a description in a printed catalog.

I am more likely to buy a kit after reading about it in a catalog than in an ad or on a web page. However, these do serve a very useful purpose because most companies do not have a presence in brick and mortar stores.

In the rare hobby shop which does carry Semroc or Fliskits, a kit or two or three always tended to stick to my fingers.

But then that is me.

Bill

luke strawwalker
09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I am still working on some really hot projects that are waiting for some left over time, after we do what we absolutely have to do!

Sounds like you've well thought this out, Carl... I think you guys are 100% on the right track-- you have your priorities straight. Your customer service is second to NONE, bar NONE! Yall also produce a great product at reasonable prices and your parts inventory is absolutely amazing! I buy from yall whenever I can.

Tim Van Milligan has also made similar observations to yours about the value of advertising and the investment/return ratio of advertising, free offers, prize donations to clubs and events, etc. I think you guys are 100% correct in your assertions.

Anyway, big high five, pat on the back, and keep up the good work...

And BTW, hot projects take precedence over revised ad copy any day of the week and twice on Sunday!!!! :D

Later!
OL JR :)

BEC
09-28-2011, 08:21 PM

US!

I AM trying to do my bit along these lines.

Mark II
09-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Hey, I still have my Semroc product list sheet from NARAM 51, and I pull it out and study it from time to time. I didn't learn about Semroc through a magazine ad or a promotion, but rather through good old word of mouth from fellow members of the hobby. This was via the EMRR web site, which is almost entirely made up of reader-contributed content. So it was many of the folks here and others like them that brought Semroc to my attention. And then seeing the actual kits at club meetings and the actual rockets at launches were, as others have mentioned, the best advertising of all. Carl, you communicate so often and so well with your customers and potential customers via web forums, email, and most especially, through the web site. And then your customers carry the word on to new customers, as exemplified by my own experience. Your attendance at and sponsorship of national events (NARCON, NARAM) sends a very important message about your commitment to the hobby and its national organization, and it is well-recognized by the membership. I know of no one who doesn't absolutely adore Semroc, no one who is unaware of all that you do for us and no one who isn't eternally grateful for it.

SecretSquirrel
09-29-2011, 12:38 PM
We did the free Astron promotion last year to help generate more membership in the NAR and mailed 935 of them at a cost of close to $6.00 each for postage, shipping box, material cost and direct labor (no profit.) We generated 5 new customers from the list of people that we sent the kits. That is about $1,000 per new customer.

Giving away kits may be the worst form of advertising known to man. So far this year, we've sent out over 100 free kits in an experiment to see if people would mention it on the various forums. So far we've gotten one email confirming that someone actually opened the box and one forum post. So that's slightly under a 1% return.

blackshire
09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
-SNIP-
I joined the NAR in 1963 not because of what I would get for the $5.00, but to be a part of an organization that would fight for the hobby and help it grow. We still look at the NAR as our champion that will keep the hobby alive long after we are gone and Semroc is a fading memory. Many of our most loyal customers share that same belief and are still members AND still buy from us. We, therefore, give to the NAR without any expectation of a measurable return. It is an investment in the future, which bean counters cannot quantify or justify.
-SNIP-Well, I hope some thought has been devoted to possible...successors to keep Semroc going (I'm not trying to be morbid here, but that would be a fitting memorial--something that one has started continuing to thrive in -this- world).

luke strawwalker
09-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Giving away kits may be the worst form of advertising known to man. So far this year, we've sent out over 100 free kits in an experiment to see if people would mention it on the various forums. So far we've gotten one email confirming that someone actually opened the box and one forum post. So that's slightly under a 1% return.

Send 'em to me... I do beta builds for Dr. Zooch and post everything about it once I get the "ok to publish" from him...

Ya just gotta send 'em to the right people... :)

SecretSquirrel
09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Send 'em to me... I do beta builds for Dr. Zooch and post everything about it once I get the "ok to publish" from him...

Ya just gotta send 'em to the right people... :)

We send them to people we know, that is, people in our customer data base. I'm guessing you're not in there, I don't know who you are but we have no entries in either Needville or Shiner.

We do message some people that aren't customers and send them a kit if they meet certain requirements though.

hcmbanjo
09-30-2011, 09:10 AM

When I started Odd'l Rockets I sent out a lot of kits. The recipients said they wanted to follow through with a EMRR review or build on a forum.
If ten kits were sent out, one would get to a forum or mentioned online.

The people that followed through did beautiful builds and reviews.
I'm not complaining, but results from sending out free kits for reviews (or even BETA testing) sometimes doesn't get the return you would hope for.

sandman
09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
When I started Odd'l Rockets I sent out a lot of kits. The recipients said they wanted to follow through with a EMRR review or build on a forum.
If ten kits were sent out, one would get to a forum or mentioned online.

The people that followed through did beautiful builds and reviews.
I'm not complaining, but results from sending out free kits for reviews (or even BETA testing) sometimes doesn't get the return you would hope for.

I have only sent one kit out to be beta tested.

I saw it on Ebay about two months later.

That was a very quick lesson learned.

I wont be doing THAT again! :rolleyes:

SecretSquirrel
09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Finding beta testers is easy. Finding good beta testers is hard. We had several TRF members wanting to be beta testers at one point. I sent out 6 Call Boxes to be tested and only got back one report, "I had issues with the instructions." That was it. When I asked for clarification I got no reply.

We still have beta testers but we don't take volunteers we don't know.

Doug Sams
09-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Finding beta testers is easy. Finding good beta testers is hard. I'm sure it doesn't help when one of your best ones passes away. RIP, James.

Doug

luke strawwalker
09-30-2011, 10:48 AM
We send them to people we know, that is, people in our customer data base. I'm guessing you're not in there, I don't know who you are but we have no entries in either Needville or Shiner.

We do message some people that aren't customers and send them a kit if they meet certain requirements though.

No, not yet... been meaning to get me a Vulture and Red Baron but haven't gotten around to it yet... :o My bad... :p

Doug Sams
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
I sent out 6 Call Boxes to be tested and only got back one report...I've never volunteered to beta test primarily because I have enough trouble dealing with my own round'tuit pile. Adding someone else's to the mix, where it needs to be worked on and finished promptly, is only begging to put me and the vendor in a tight spot. That is, in the back of my mind, I'm wanting to help, but I know that reality finds me in that group of 5/6 delinquent respondents :(

That said, I have built a couple Squirrel Works kits. I'm particularly fond of them :)

Doug

SecretSquirrel
09-30-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm sure it doesn't help when one of your best ones passes away. RIP, James.

No, that didn't help at all. James was a valuable asset and his participation is sorely missed. While most of our testers do one or two kits, James did 27.

BTW, we're aiming to get his memorial kit out around Dec. 1, maybe even a little earlier. We've begun the production run, meaning I've started cutting tubes and fins.

No, not yet... been meaning to get me a Vulture and Red Baron but haven't gotten around to it yet... :o My bad... :p

Yeah, we've only been making those about 8 years now, I can see how you haven't had time to get one. :p

luke strawwalker
09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Finding beta testers is easy. Finding good beta testers is hard. We had several TRF members wanting to be beta testers at one point. I sent out 6 Call Boxes to be tested and only got back one report, "I had issues with the instructions." That was it. When I asked for clarification I got no reply.

We still have beta testers but we don't take volunteers we don't know.

I hear what you and sandman are saying...

That's pretty lousy! But then there are plenty of lousy people around.

I figure if somebody's nice enough to send me a free kit, the least I can do is report back accurately and do my best on it to represent the kit, manufacturer, and give as much free publicity as I can through build threads and flight reports.

I'd probably gone off on the guy who ebayed the beta kit, Gordon... mailed him a bill or something with a snarky note at least... LOL:)

Usually when I do a Zoochie, I double proofread the instructions when as soon as I get the kit, note any errors or omissions, even in the "kit contents" part, double check the parts list against the box contents, and get started. Usually the first email I send back is a list of found spelling errors, grammatical errors, or oversights in the instructions or box contents or things that were unclear that I found. Sometimes they're changed, sometimes there's already been a bazillion copies of the instructions printed, so if it's something little (typos and grammar errors) it's overlooked. :) Then I get down to building the kit. I follow the instructions pretty closely, though not necessarily in order (to let assemblies glue dry while I do other stuff on the build) and maybe embellish things a LITTLE bit (like papering fins for strength) but that's about it... want to keep it as close to the "original kit" as possible, not make any meaningful mods that would change the performance. I report back every day or two with any "gotchas" I found in the instructions or stuff that's unclear, or any additional "improvements" or whatever that might be worth thinking about adding, if desired (which are usually just left to the build thread). I shoot pictures during the build of each step, and when I'm done, I shoot a series of "glamour shots" of the rocket on the pad outdoors in sunlight, and send them back for use on the web, in advertising, etc if desired, along with the completion report. I usually wait for a club launch to fly them, unless the rocket is specifically in need of quicker flight testing and having a flight report sent back. Then I do a test flight ASAP and report back, with pics if I can...

Once I get the "ok to publish" from the Doc, I then do a build thread on the kit, posting the pics and taking the reader step-by-step through the build process, almost like on-line instructions, noting any "improvements" or embellishments I made, and why, and how to do them, or how this meshes with the kit maker's intents (and whether they suggest it or not and why).

I thought that's what beta-building was SUPPOSED to be... a sorta 'test run' to catch any 'gotchas' before a bunch of kits went out the door... LOL:)
Not surprising I guess, knowing people... (that some folks would take advantage of it).

People suck! LOL:)

later! OL JR :)

SecretSquirrel
09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
That said, I have built a couple Squirrel Works kits. I'm particularly fond of them :)

I only remember one of our kits you built. I remember it well because you SET IT ON FIRE!

Feyd
09-30-2011, 11:26 AM

My Red Baron was great! Unfortunately I forgot to take the pilot out when I launched it and he took off for parts unknown :D

Promptly ordered another Red Baron and a Mega Baron. In my build queue awaiting building. If was the first glider I ever got to glide instead of crash. Didn't take much to get it trimmed, either. Very easy and quick build. You can't really tell from the picture, but the balsa is stained with Minwax Oak finish and it looked really great. I'll likely be doing the same thing when I build the next one.

SecretSquirrel
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
I hear what you and sandman are saying...

<snip>

People suck! LOL:)

Well, I'm not saying people suck but testing is an important step in our kit development and we need specific feedback in a timely manner. We have to find people who can work within our guidelines. It's not for everyone, I think people start out with good intentions and then get distracted. Heck, I had one local guy do a beta test and submit a report a year after the kit was released. Oh well, better late than never I guess. On the up side, he didn't find any issues that hadn't already been addressed.

Doug Sams
09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I only remember one of our kits you built. I remember it well because you SET IT ON FIRE!:o This one?
http://www.doug79.com/x24-bug/X24-3-3.jpg

FWIW, I've built three bugs and the Imp/Freebird along with a couple of Tubers :) as well as morphing two Tubers in to Tubenas :D I have, in my unbuilt stash, a Callisto, a Red Baron, one more Bug, and a Gargas Paradox. At least, that's all I can think of. I fully expect to build these...some day :)

Doug

SecretSquirrel
09-30-2011, 02:30 PM
That's the one! It looked good going up but you could tell it was in trouble coming down by the smoke trail.

I remember thinking.....

I've got a blow-out - damper three!

Get your pitch to zero.

Pitch is out! I can't hold altitude!

Correction, Alpha Hold is off, turn selectors — Emergency!

Flight Com! I can't hold it! She's breaking up, she's break—

sandman
09-30-2011, 02:33 PM
That's the one! It looked good going up but you could tell it was in trouble coming down by the smoke trail.

I remember thinking.....

Get your pitch to zero.

We can rebuild him. Make him stronger, faster...

Doug Sams
09-30-2011, 03:23 PM
We can rebuild him. Make him stronger, faster...We did rebuild him, but he's hardly faster or stronger :) More like tattered and wonkier :) BTW, I think I spent an hour looking for the 2 missing fins that day. They've been re-attached...in a Frankenstein sorta way :)

http://www.doug79.com/x24-bug/x24-desk-p.jpg

Doug Sams
09-30-2011, 03:35 PM

Get your pitch to zero.

________http://www.doug79.com/gif-thumb/two-thumbs-up.jpg

luke strawwalker
09-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Ok the "nerd detector" needle is starting to peg "off scale high"... :p

I have a buddy who lives, eats, and breathes comics, Wonder Woman, 6M$man, etc... to the point of being somewhat annoying after a while...

Guess I should talk... I pull up obscure movie quotes all the time and use them conversationally...

"Did he bleed??" "He bled..."

LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

PaulK
10-01-2011, 10:09 AM
...When we don’t release a new kit every month or so, we will die as a company....We spend at least 4-6 hours a day cutting nose cones and fins for inventory. I spend a few hours a year working on ads...We do not advertise in Sport Rocketry to generate revenue...Many of our most loyal customers share that same belief and are still members AND still buy from us. We, therefore, give to the NAR without any expectation of a measurable return...I am continually amazed at all Semroc does support this hobby, thank you. We'll continue doing our small part by introducing new flyers in our club to your great company!

ghrocketman
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Steve Austin should have been left as a non-rebuilt mangled heap.
That show stunk.

Doug Sams
10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
That show [the Six Million Dollar Man] stunk.Ultimately, I suppose so. It, like most TV programming, degenerated into formulaic BS. But when it started out, its basic premise was right at the forefront of technology. We had recently been to the moon and all sorts of new, hi-tech products were beginning to make their ways into our culture. So the buy-in for the show - the viewer's leap of faith into believing it was at least remotely possible to "rebuild him" - wasn't a huge stretch.

To use an expression of the day, "if they can put a man on the moon", they can replace Steve Austin's arm and legs :D (Altho the eye was quite a stretch :) )

Anyway, when I was 13 years old and the show hit the airwaves in 1974, it was must-see-TV. Couldn't miss Steve's big adventure of the week, not no way, not no how :)

Doug

ghrocketman
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
As far as TV shows starring Lee Majors goes, I found Big Valley and The Fall Guy to be FAR better than 6MDM.

Daddyisabar
10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Robots were cool. You had Westworld and The Sepford Wives, and $6 million was a ton of cash to spend on a dude! But by the end of the series he was a just finghtin' Sasquatch :(

luke strawwalker
10-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Ultimately, I suppose so. It, like most TV programming, degenerated into formulaic BS. But when it started out, its basic premise was right at the forefront of technology. We had recently been to the moon and all sorts of new, hi-tech products were beginning to make their ways into our culture. So the buy-in for the show - the viewer's leap of faith into believing it was at least remotely possible to "rebuild him" - wasn't a huge stretch.

To use an expression of the day, "if they can put a man on the moon", they can replace Steve Austin's arm and legs :D (Altho the eye was quite a stretch :) )

Anyway, when I was 13 years old and the show hit the airwaves in 1974, it was must-see-TV. Couldn't miss Steve's big adventure of the week, not no way, not no how :)

Doug

Yeah, I agree...

I enjoyed it... at least it was original... which is a lot more than can be said of most network claptrap they pollute the airwaves with nowdays...

The one thing I found most amusing was, that Steve's bionic arm could lift a truck in the air, but how in the world did it not snap his spine in 6 places or simply rip the robotic arm off his body picking up that much weight... Same with the robotic legs jumping over buildings and stuff-- sure we can build stuff that could survive accelerations that strong and impacts that strong on the other side, but again, how did it not snap his spine and neck in about six places and leave him in a heap of goo with robotic legs and arms sticking out?? :confused:

Oh well, gotta suspend disbelief I guess... much like "Wonder Woman" back in the day... never did figure out how they went from WWII to "modern day" with computers basically over the summer... LOL:)

SecretSquirrel
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM
It could have been worse......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhh90ZN1RE

Doug Sams
10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
The one thing I found most amusing was, that Steve's bionic arm could lift a truck in the air, but how in the world did it not snap his spine in 6 places or simply rip the robotic arm off his body picking up that much weight... Yeah, even in 8th grade, there was enough engineer in me to understand that little item seemingly overlooked by the writers :) But I drank the koolaid and kept watching :)

Doug

stefanj
10-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Getting back somewhat to the original topic:

If you were going to give a "starter fleet" to a beginning rocketeer, one made up of Semroc kits, what you buy?

An old MRN cover listed a series of models which would educate the rocketeer about stability, staging, gliders, clusters, etc. I'd like to see something similar.

luke strawwalker
10-04-2011, 01:05 AM
It could have been worse......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhh90ZN1RE

(Pedro voice on...)

"There's three american dollars we won't see again..."

(Pedro voice off...)

jharding58
10-04-2011, 01:10 AM
long after we are gone and Semroc is a fading memory

You go out and wash your mouth with soap right now.

ghrocketman
10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Here is a list of good starter Semroc kits for most categories:
Beginner: Centurion
Staging: Centaur
Cluster: Scrambler
Glider: Hawk (Falcon) or Swift
Scale: Arcas or SLS Arcas
Mid Power: SLS Aero Dart or SLS Lil' Hustler
Futuristic: Orbital Transport or Mars Lander

stefanj
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM