PDA

View Full Version : Flight Time

SEL
07-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I finally got out to do some flying today. Put up my Estes Sprint on a B6-6 and flew the SR1340 replica on a C11-3, and 3 more time on D12-5's. Wanted to try a E9-6, but couldn't get it into the motor mount. Speaking of motor mounts, I toasted mine pretty good even though I used the foil- lined 24mm stuff from BMS. Belowe are some pics. Didn't get any good lift-off shots, but I included the one just because of the flame. I don't remember C11's and D12's have that much fire.....

Sean

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-18-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't remember C11's and D12's have that much fire.....

Sean

They put extra in to balance out the shotgun ejection charges. :rolleyes: :(
That motor mount reminds me of a Quizno's commercial. "Mmmm, toasty!"

SEL
07-18-2006, 07:30 PM
That motor mount reminds me of a Quizno's commercial. "Mmmm, toasty!"

LOL...
The good news is that I'm going to have to assemble a new one anyway that will fit an Estes E9.
One more note on the Sprint flight: The B6-6 really put it up there - I saw jection at or slightly after apogee, but lost site of it shortly after. I did't think the streamer had come out and was looking for it out where I thought it might be falling. Just about when I was giving up, it dropped in about 5 ft. away, between me and the pad (2nd photo).

Sean

SEL
07-18-2006, 07:31 PM
LOL...
The good news is that I'm going to have to assemble a new one anyway that will fit an Estes E9.
One more note on the Sprint flight: The B6-6 really put it up there - I saw jection at or slightly after apogee, but lost site of it shortly after. I did't think the streamer had come out and was looking for it out where I thought it might be falling. Just about when I was giving up, it dropped in about 5 ft. away, between me and the pad (2nd photo).

Sean

Oops, here's the photo....

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-18-2006, 08:23 PM
LOL...

Sean

Maybe that's why I never got mine back on its C6-7 flight. I only waited two or three minutes before I went "In Search Of".

snaquin
07-18-2006, 10:02 PM
I finally got out to do some flying today. Put up my Estes Sprint on a B6-6 and flew the SR1340 replica on a C11-3, and 3 more time on D12-5's. Wanted to try a E9-6, but couldn't get it into the motor mount. Speaking of motor mounts, I toasted mine pretty good even though I used the foil- lined 24mm stuff from BMS. Belowe are some pics. Didn't get any good lift-off shots, but I included the one just because of the flame. I don't remember C11's and D12's have that much fire.....

Sean

How did your SR1340 Replica fly on the D12-5's? Did you get ejection right about apogee? I used the heavy LT-125 tubing on mine and RockSim shows ejection with a D12-5 right at about a 5.5 sec delay at about 775 feet in altitude, pretty much right on the money .....

We were thinking the same on the motor mounts for that rocket. I built my SR1340 and my SR1340/20 without motor mounts and bought a bag of the Semroc CR-9115 rings. Nice heavy rings too for mounting a #9 in a #115 for 29mm flights and I can use the Semroc EM-9115 for 24mm flights on the C11, D12 and E9's in the same rockets. I use a small slice of body tube for an external thrust ring on the rear. I decided not to glue them in and just friction fit them because of the "toast factor" with the Estes ejection charges. I figure I'll have to dispose of them after a few flights anyway :(

SEL
07-18-2006, 11:28 PM
How did your SR1340 Replica fly on the D12-5's? Did you get ejection right about apogee? I used the heavy LT-125 tubing on mine and RockSim shows ejection with a D12-5 right at about a 5.5 sec delay at about 775 feet in altitude, pretty much right on the money .....

Mine's built with the heavuer tubing as well. Both the C11-3 and D12-5's were right at or just after apogee. I was surprised at the altitude reached on the C11 - much higher than I expected. What does RockSim show for that?

We were thinking the same on the motor mounts for that rocket. I built my SR1340 and my SR1340/20 without motor mounts and bought a bag of the Semroc CR-9115 rings. Nice heavy rings too for mounting a #9 in a #115 for 29mm flights and I can use the Semroc EM-9115 for 24mm flights on the C11, D12 and E9's in the same rockets. I use a small slice of body tube for an external thrust ring on the rear. I decided not to glue them in and just friction fit them because of the "toast factor" with the Estes ejection charges. I figure I'll have to dispose of them after a few flights anyway :(

I built mine with a permanent 29mm. Maybe not such a good idea.....

Sean

snaquin
07-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Mine's built with the heavuer tubing as well. Both the C11-3 and D12-5's were right at or just after apogee. I was surprised at the altitude reached on the C11 - much higher than I expected. What does RockSim show for that?

I built mine with a permanent 29mm. Maybe not such a good idea.....

Sean

Ok, I see. So the picture of what got burned was your 24mm adapter. I thought it may have been a friction fitted 24mm motor mount assembly you were using in the main airframe.

Altitude with the C11-3 is 352 feet with a DV of about 25mph. Optimum delay is 3.9sec so it deploys slightly before apogee.

Last night I forgot to remove the mass object I used for the increased weight in mine due to the hardwood nose cone so, a D12-5 sims to 933 feet with a DV of about 24mph. Optimum delay for the D12-5 would be 5.9 sec so it also deploys slightly before apogee.

Your altitudes may be slightly less because I simmed with a 29mm mount without a 24mm adapter, but probably a good estimation.