PDA

View Full Version : Aerotech Engines Exploded

guster900
07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Around the 4th of July, my younger brother & I were setting off a large custum rocket we had made. It had 3 Aerotech G-804T engines in it. Before we set it off, we launched about 15 regular small estes type rockets.

We were using a custum made launcher designed by Pratt Hobbies, specifically designed to launch three of these Aerotech engines at once, but this was our first time setting off Aerotech engines.

We followed the directions exactly, putting the ignitors all the way down inside just like it said and the picture showed. We used Aerotech ignitor clips, everything was exactly as the directions said.

When we hit the launch button, all three, almost simultaneously exploded, with a load pop pop pop as all three exploded on the launch pad.

The fuel grain core never even lit. It was like the ejection charges all went off first and shredded the engine casing.

Can someone please help me out and shed some light on what we did wrong, and how to avoid this from happening again? :confused:

stefanj
07-23-2006, 10:05 PM
It wasn't you!

There is a bad batch of Aerotech G80 motors out there.

Here is a thread about the problem from Aerotech's Gary Rosenfield:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28436

Aerotech will replace your motors. Keep all of the evidence and contact customer support.

andrew scott
07-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Hi all can some one please tele me if i have bad aero tech motors

I have aero tech su motors 3 g80-7t and 3 g80-4t all have the same bach date 001374 are thes motor in the bad bach ???:eek:

ghrocketman
07-24-2006, 08:43 AM
On another website, Gary Rosenfeld (President of Aerotech) stated that the faulty motors cannot be visually inspected for fault and it was not contained to a specific lot. He also stated that they suspended all Single-Use "G" motor production (Not just the G80) and are attempting to root-cause the failures.
If it was me, I would NOT use the G80's you have....contact Aerotech to see if they will exchange them for something else (some single use F's, or RMS 24 or RMS 29/40-120 reloads/cases)