Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Winter Build - 1/100 Space Shuttle (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17090)

aeppel_cpm 01-30-2018 08:46 AM

Winter Build - 1/100 Space Shuttle

Time to show off what I did with the latest cones from Sandman. It's not paint ready yet, but it's all test fit.

Some rings and skirts.

SRB motor mounts. Canted. I may not use them - but I'm hopeful.

SRB aft skirts. I've since bent the hooks more so they sit flat.

SRBs. -There's- some of Gordon's fine work.

And there's the rest. I'm building to be able to separate the SRBs. Rail guide on the SRBs, with a bottom rail made from the packaging from the coffee pods at the day job. Upper connection is a small brass tube that fits in the screw hole for the rail guide. I'll mount a sring on the SRB (not the one pictured) and run monofilament through the ET to tie the SRBs to the ET. To separate, a flight computoer will fire a wire or ignitor to cut the monofilament, and the springs will push the SRBs off the brass tube. Drag will take them from there.

aeppel_cpm 01-30-2018 08:57 AM

Hollowing out the orbiter. It's from Guillows. Slightly damaged/repaired since it seems Amazon can't ship me one intact.

Rudder control. 1/50" stainless tubing scrap in 1/16" PEEK tubing. Elevators are still giving me trouble - work in progress.

External Tank - Orbiter attachment points. I decided to keep the glider rubber band hook, as we are using it for test flights to trim & test the RC. So I made a catch for it out of the same rail stock as the SRB.

And sitting up.

And hanging out with its 1/100 friends.

ghrocketman 01-30-2018 05:07 PM

Neat project. Make sure to give a flight report.

luke strawwalker 01-31-2018 08:56 PM

VERY nice... OL J R :)

leftover 02-01-2018 12:23 AM

Beautiful work

aeppel_cpm 02-01-2018 07:56 AM

Thanks.

I’m still working on tricking out the external tank before I start boring holes in the aft dome. I’m having my boy 3D print embossing plates for the intertank stringers. Fingers crossed - I’ll post pictures of lovely wraps if it works.

aeppel_cpm 02-20-2018 08:52 AM

Fins on carbon fiber tubes

And tucked away for sitting on the table.

BARGeezer 02-20-2018 06:58 PM

Excellent. Nice cones by Gordy. So, two engine cluster and r/c glider recovery? I assume parachutes for the boosters, but how about the external tank? Flight computer with parachute and pyro ejection?

aeppel_cpm 02-20-2018 07:29 PM

I'm setting up to fly a few ways:

1) Single motor in External Tank with RC glider recovery. Boosters stay with ET.
2) Single motor in ET, Glider RC, SRBs separate w/chutes. Quantum in ET, Quarks in SRBs.
3) Single Motor in ET, 13-18mm motors in SRBs, Glider RC, motor deploy in SRBs, Quantum in ET.

jeffyjeep 02-21-2018 04:42 AM

A scratch-built, RC shuttle stack?! You’re a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Beautiful work!