Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Coaster Plans (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1213)

georgegassaway 03-08-2009 09:53 PM

I still do not have my new website ready to open publicly. But I have just about finished up a web page on the early R/C models. So, this is why I was asking some questions a few weeks ago, and about the magazine issue that SkyDancer was published in. The page includes:

A Link to Mark Bundick's history PDF file, from his 2008 NARCON presentation

The false start with the Coaster model that nobody seemed to get to work with R/C.

Doug Malewicki's first successful flights and 3-part article.

Larry Renger's SkyDancer.

The MIT Rocket Society who took the ball and ran with it - including some samples from the "Pulse R/C Journal".

Here is a preview link:

http://tinyurl.com/b2mqyk

- George Gassaway

stefanj 03-08-2009 11:49 PM

The Mitch Pines mentioned in the article was a member of LIARS Tripoli section (and the North Shore Section NAR section) until at least the mid 1990s. He had a website, but hadn't been updated in years last I checked.

The "Doctor" Morrow, or perhaps one of his sons, was also a member.

Mitch showed me his Coaster literature, and brought a few Coaster kits to launches. He flew a few with FSI motors, as I recall.

Gus 03-08-2009 11:54 PM

Wonderful stuff, George. And beautifully presented.

shockwaveriderz 03-09-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
I still do not have my new website ready to open publicly. But I have just about finished up a web page on the early R/C models. So, this is why I was asking some questions a few weeks ago, and about the magazine issue that SkyDancer was published in. The page includes:

A Link to Mark Bundick's history PDF file, from his 2008 NARCON presentation

The false start with the Coaster model that nobody seemed to get to work with R/C.

Doug Malewicki's first successful flights and 3-part article.

Larry Renger's SkyDancer.

The MIT Rocket Society who took the ball and ran with it - including some samples from the "Pulse R/C Journal".

Here is a preview link:

http://tinyurl.com/b2mqyk

- George Gassaway

excellent work George!

terry dean

shockwaveriderz 03-09-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The Mitch Pines mentioned in the article was a member of LIARS Tripoli section (and the North Shore Section NAR section) until at least the mid 1990s. He had a website, but hadn't been updated in years last I checked.

The "Doctor" Morrow, or perhaps one of his sons, was also a member.

Mitch showed me his Coaster literature, and brought a few Coaster kits to launches. He flew a few with FSI motors, as I recall.

hmm I guess I'll try and track him down.

terry dean

tab28682 03-01-2021 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bringing this old thread back to life.

Recently retired and now have time to do both RC aircraft and rocketry. Have build building a few new RC RG models as well as a few new Rockets.

I recently ran across the historical references to the Coaster Dynasoar Centauri and decided I needed to build one.

As George mentioned, the original had a number of issues, but I really liked the shape.

I decided to built it as a Depron RC RG, Dynasoar Rocketry and Frank Burke style. A simpler and lighter build which to me looks like it will fly well. I used the correct 2" ID Centuri type body tube and all surfaces are the exact shape of the original with a couple of tiny mods that do not change the overall shape. I did leave off the elevon stops that the original FF version used, as they are not needed on a RC build

The model is basically complete. Waiting on a custom 3D printed nose cone being done by a friend. When that is here, I can finish the fuselage graphics and add the front and side window graphics.

Here is a picture as it stands now, with an Estes PSII 2" nose cone stuck on to make it look more complete. It actually looks better with this cone than the original blunter cone. I decided to decorate the model as a fictional space transport, just for fun, with a shout out to Coaster on it.

shockwaveriderz 03-01-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab28682
Bringing this old thread back to life.

Recently retired and now have time to do both RC aircraft and rocketry. Have build building a few new RC RG models as well as a few new Rockets.

I recently ran across the historical references to the Coaster Dynasoar Centauri and decided I needed to build one.

As George mentioned, the original had a number of issues, but I really liked the shape.

I decided to built it as a Depron RC RG, Dynasoar Rocketry and Frank Burke style. A simpler and lighter build which to me looks like it will fly well. I used the correct 2" ID Centuri type body tube and all surfaces are the exact shape of the original with a couple of tiny mods that do not change the overall shape. I did leave off the elevon stops that the original FF version used, as they are not needed on a RC build

The model is basically complete. Waiting on a custom 3D printed nose cone being done by a friend. When that is here, I can finish the fuselage graphics and add the front and side window graphics.

Here is a picture as it stands now, with an Estes PSII 2" nose cone stuck on to make it look more complete. It actually looks better with this cone than the original blunter cone. I decided to decorate the model as a fictional space transport, just for fun, with a shout out to Coaster on it.

looking Good!

Rocketflyer 03-05-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
I'm doing a bit of research on this model, to add mention of it on a web page I'm doing on the early R/C B/G's.

Is it pretty much just a conclusion that somebody, somewhere, flew it with R/C in the 1960's, because the plans or an ad said it was capable of it? So there would be no known specific person who flew it with R/C back then, but that it was the first R/C B/G?

I've not been on YORF enough to know who's who, at least as far as real names. I'd like to know who had the plans that were scanned, who scanned them , and which "Buzz" was working up the R/C model?

Did Buzz ever fly the R/C model? If so, what happened?

- George Gassaway

George; I was the guy who sent in the plans for the Coaster bird, and sent them to Carl. Name is Jack Komorowski, Absecon , NJ

L3Excalibur 03-05-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
George; I was the guy who sent in the plans for the Coaster bird, and sent them to Carl. Name is Jack Komorowski, Absecon , NJ

And it must have been the other 'Buzz' who was working on the R/C version, becuase it wasn't me. :-)

tab28682 04-20-2021 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 2021 version of the Coaster Dynasoar Centauri is now complete and ready to launch, which will likely happen in the next week or so.

I decided that the original nose cone was just a little too basic and had one 3D printed instead.

Flight report when it happens.