Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Estes Starship Nova Returns!! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16555)

turbofireball 03-27-2017 12:35 PM

Estes Starship Nova Returns!!

Estes posted some new items today!!!

Starship Nova
http://www.estesrockets.com/coming-...starship-novatm

Air Walker
http://www.estesrockets.com/coming-...61-air-walkertm

Hex-3
http://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/007263-hex-3tm

Red Diamond Bulk Pack
http://www.estesrockets.com/coming-...bulk-pack-12-pk

Initiator001 03-27-2017 01:31 PM

The re-release of the Starship Nova explains the comments about the 'special nose cone'. ;)

The Air Walker looks like the clear payload section is longer than on the original model. Perhaps a camera effect?

All the models look like fun. :)

I wonder if the Red Diamond will be sold individually?

stefanj 03-27-2017 01:54 PM

Hmmmm! I am way overbought on kits, but the Nova might be one I spring for.

ghrocketman 03-27-2017 01:59 PM

This is the "futuristic" kit return I have been waiting for !!

Another winner from Estes.

JumpJet 03-27-2017 02:29 PM

Estes brought this kit back out just for you ghrocketman! Well not really, I'd always wanted one back in the day and since I found the nose cone tooling for it, it was a no brainer to get it back in the line.

This version of the kit is built a little different then the original version. The end result is the model looks exactly the same. On the original version you were told to cut the main BT-50 body tube away to accept the shorter BT-50 tube that in seen on the lower portion of the model. This means the shorter tube is now recessed into the longer main tube. You were then told to add a glue fillet around the joint. Only problem is on the 7 test models I made this glue joint came apart on ALL 7 models from the ejection gases. So now you instead cut the shorter tube so it simply glues to the outside of the main body tube, Problem solved.

John Boren

tbzep 03-27-2017 02:52 PM

Thanks for the classic kit. Keep digging for more!

Eagle3 03-27-2017 04:35 PM

Great to see this kit released again. This happened to me all the time with Carl and Semroc. As soon as I built a clone of something, he would release the kit. :D I just finished building a Starship Nova a few weeks ago. I had an original kit, but some of the tubes were smashed, so I didn't mind opening and building it.

turbofireball 03-27-2017 08:24 PM

John Boren - the Starship Nova is an awesome re-release, but is Estes planning on releasing the companion #1392 Nova Scout Ship also?

JediBoss 03-27-2017 08:44 PM

I would buy both in a heartbeat.

JumpJet 03-27-2017 10:54 PM

No plans on bring the scout ship back. You could always scratch build one now that the nose cone will be available again.

Just curious why you call the Nova Scout Ship the companion model to the Starship Nova? Is it just because they use the same nose cone or is there some Estes History for these two models that I am unaware of.

John Boren

tbzep 03-27-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
No plans on bring the scout ship back. You could always scratch build one now that the nose cone will be available again.

Just curious why you call the Nova Scout Ship the companion model to the Starship Nova? Is it just because they use the same nose cone or is there some Estes History for these two models that I am unaware of.

John Boren

The Star Ship Nova came out in 1981 and the Nova Scout Ship came out in 1983. The description in the 1983 catalog said:

Quote:
Scout ship of the awesome Star Ship Nova intergalactic explorer (see page 37). Designed for planetary exploration.

Interestingly, the 81 and 82 catalogs split the name (actually stacked it) but did not capitalize ship, "Star ship Nova". However, the 81 retailer catalog kept it together as "Starship Nova". The 83 and 84 catalog separated it and capitalized, "Star Ship Nova".

JumpJet 03-27-2017 11:39 PM

OK, Now I understand.

John Boren

turbofireball 03-28-2017 01:09 AM

The reason I mentioned the Nova Scout Ship as the companion piece was not only the catalog description (as stated by tbzep) but also the cover of the Estes Spring 1983 catalog, which shows the Starship Nova flanked by no less than five scout ships as they travel thru the cosmos.

Shreadvector 03-29-2017 01:03 PM

The Scout Ships were scouting for lunch and that is why they were "flanken" the Starship Nova.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short...oss-section.jpg

:chuckle:;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball
The reason I mentioned the Nova Scout Ship as the companion piece was not only the catalog description (as stated by tbzep) but also the cover of the Estes Spring 1983 catalog, which shows the Starship Nova flanked by no less than five scout ships as they travel thru the cosmos.

Jerry Irvine 03-29-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:
Estes brought this kit back out just for you ghrocketman!
John Boren
I'm quoting you! Last known photo.

Jerry Irvine 03-29-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:
OK, Now I understand.
John Boren
Talk about trivia! Ignoring the MIT grad.

chrism 03-29-2017 04:45 PM

It's nice to see the Starship Nova again! The Airwalker reminds me of the Icarus payloader rocket.

TimCC 03-31-2017 05:00 PM

This is great news! I have been collecting parts and patterns to build one, but now I'll just buy two. This is one of my favorite futuristic designs.

Now, how about bringing back the Blackhawk?

ScannerBob 04-21-2017 02:55 PM

I have always wanted to see the Alien Explorer and Andromeda back in the line. I still have my very-much-beat-up Alien Explorer from 6th grade and never got a chance to buy and build the Andromeda. I've actually been wanting to downscale both by 75% to fly on mini-engines, but when I heard the guy who made custom decals with an Alps printer was shutting down (his name escapes me right now) I sort of haven't thought much about it. I would love to put in a request for re-dos of both of those kits however.

ghrocketman 04-21-2017 05:44 PM

Looked for the Starship Nova at one of the LHS's near my work today and no dice.
They had every kit from the Mosquito to the Saturn V and ALL in between including the discontinued Long Tom, but no Starship Nova.
I went there for that kit thinking they would have it. Grabbed another LJII for $41, a Saturn V for $64, a Nike X for $15 and a Sky Dart for $21.

JumpJet 04-21-2017 05:49 PM

New kits are not available for purchase until the rocket moves from the Coming Soon to the Whats New section of the Website.

John Boren

ghrocketman 04-21-2017 05:52 PM

Ahh...thanks John.
I missed the fact that it is still "Coming Soon"...oh well...I got some more nice Estes kits at great prices for a LHS and picked up some R/C fuel too.

mycrofte 04-22-2017 07:30 AM

Doesn't that mean they could still cancel it?

JumpJet 04-22-2017 08:58 AM

The Starship Nova is either in production about to be put on the water or it is on the water. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to come by ship. It then needs to clear customs which can take a day or WAY longer. Then trucked to our warehouse. I could find out exactly where it is but what fun would that be.

John Boren

Shreadvector 04-25-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:
The Starship Nova is either in production about to be put on the water or it is on the water. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to come by ship. It then needs to clear customs which can take a day or WAY longer. Then trucked to our warehouse. I could find out exactly where it is but what fun would that be.

John Boren

Look out for these.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave

Jerry Irvine 04-25-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:
John Boren
That's phunnie!

Wouldn't it be weird if the verbose tracking info for some, any, product was posted to YORF so folks could see the securitious route imported products take? I export.

JJ

modeltrains 05-02-2017 02:01 AM

I want to remember that Estes catalog said the were both from the Nova Empire or something, which makes them connected that way.
Dang, man, there's only one of me and my health is a mess, but maybe the cancelled dream of launching a Nova Starship flanked by a pair of Nova Scouts can still come true? Someday?

Now, how would I want to paint them ... not box stock is a given ....

ghrocketman 06-15-2017 10:08 PM

What's the deal with this one ?
Seems like it has been "coming soon" for quite a while.

bernomatic 06-17-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

Well of course, it must be on a.....

s-l-o-w boat from China.

Don't worry GH, I'm sure you'll find a way to blame it on Trump and his new policies toward China.

Initiator001 06-17-2017 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

No big deal.

I have one. ;)

BEC 06-17-2017 10:53 PM

So do I. But if you look in Bob's second picture there you can see that the main body tube looks a little odd. Apparently there was some kind of miscommunication with the supplier and the BT-50 in the kits that are in the warehouse in Penrose don't have a glassine layer. So.....it may be a bit yet before the kits get distributed.

Newbomb Turk 06-20-2017 08:34 PM

Very cool re-release. Are there any rumors as to any others being considered for the future?

tbzep 06-21-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Very cool re-release. Are there any rumors as to any others being considered for the future?

If you want to go back through John's (Jumpjet) posts the last year or so, he's dropped a hint or two. It's up to you to figure them out. :D

JumpJet 06-21-2017 09:37 AM

Yea, what he said. ;)

John Boren

Newbomb Turk 06-22-2017 08:31 PM

Cool! Thanks, Z! I'd never used that function before.

Still couldn't find the post where John personally guaranteed the retun of the Citation Patriot, though.

JumpJet 06-22-2017 11:15 PM

I will never guaranty anything and make it a habit to only give vague and cryptic comments to keep everyone wondering exactly what I may be talking about.

John Boren

Chas Russell 06-23-2017 09:38 AM

John Boren,

Any chance of obtaining one of the Starship Nova kits with the incorrect tube? I have always wanted one and have the Moldin'Oldies nose cone replica and a laser-cut ring set from SEMROC.

Chas

JumpJet 06-23-2017 10:39 AM

The first production run of this kit will in fact have tubes without glassine on them. The cost and time needed to get new tubes to China would stretch the release of this kit into at least first quarter of next year.

John Boren

Chas Russell 06-23-2017 01:11 PM

Thank you for the update!

Chas

Shreadvector 06-23-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:
The first production run of this kit will in fact have tubes without glassine on them. The cost and time needed to get new tubes to China would stretch the release of this kit into at least first quarter of next year.

John Boren

Collector's items!!!!

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Collector
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Collector