Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NCR vs NCR by Estes Patriot (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16475)

PaulK 02-12-2017 05:12 PM

NCR vs NCR by Estes Patriot

I recently came into possession of an NCR by Estes Patriot. I'm curious what Estes changed in the when they licensed the NCR design. The differences I'm aware of are the plastic CR, plastic engine retainer, and 28mm motor tube. Anything else? Scale, NC shape, BT thickness, decals, etc. Thanks!

Ltvscout 02-12-2017 06:38 PM

Send a PM to the man himself, Matt Steele. His handle is ManofSteele. Ask him if he'd reply on this thread so we all learn. ;-)

mwtoelle 02-12-2017 07:40 PM

Judging by the differences between my NCR Phantom 4000 and an equivalent NCR-by-Estes Phantom 4000, one major difference between the two was the older kit did not have through-the-wall fins and had an Ace PNC-39 nosecone. The Estes version had TTW fins and a styrene plastic nose cone. The Estes version also had the dreaded 28.5mm id motor tube, instead of a proper 29mm tube. IIRC, the 4" tubes were the same size.

I definitely am not fond of the epoxy rivet method of attaching the fins on the Phantom 4000 and other pre-NCR-By-Estes NCR kits. It is annoying to keep reattaching the fins after the landings keep breaking them off.

Rex R 02-12-2017 08:45 PM

and then there was the old Estes pro series patriot which used a 4 engine cluster(D12s)...the nose cone for which ended up as the cone for the big daddy.
Rex

Initiator001 02-13-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
and then there was the old Estes pro series patriot which used a 4 engine cluster(D12s)...the nose cone for which ended up as the cone for the big daddy.
Rex

...And for the NCRBE Lance Beta kit. ;)

Rob Campbell 02-13-2017 08:22 AM

Replece the motor tube, and flatten the fins, if necessary and you have a great rocket.

ManofSteele 02-13-2017 05:48 PM

Yes, most of the changes were highlighted here. The NCRBE version had through the wall fins, plastic centering rings, and a different styrene nose cone than the NCR version. The motor tube fits reloadable cases well; for standard motors, you can salvage the tube by peeling the inner layer of paper out with a pair of hemostats or needle nose pliers.

The NCRBE version was a little heavier, due to the modifications.

Matt

PaulK 02-25-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
Yes, most of the changes were highlighted here. The NCRBE version had through the wall fins, plastic centering rings, and a different styrene nose cone than the NCR version. The motor tube fits reloadable cases well; for standard motors, you can salvage the tube by peeling the inner layer of paper out with a pair of hemostats or needle nose pliers.

The NCRBE version was a little heavier, due to the modifications.

Matt
Thanks Matt! Did the nose cone have more-or-less the same dimensions, reasonably scale?

ManofSteele 02-28-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Thanks Matt! Did the nose cone have more-or-less the same dimensions, reasonably scale?

Yes, it was pretty close to scale, since we made a new mold for the cone.

Matt

PaulK 02-04-2018 03:23 PM

So, I'm starting to build this kit, and I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible. One concern is the thickness of the body tube, I'm thinking of adding some internal stiffening between the top CR and just shy of the NC shoulder. Anyone know if a LOC tube coupler would fit?