Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum Information, Rules, Etc (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Changes made to FreeForAll [Must Read!] (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15033)

Ltvscout 05-04-2015 04:47 PM

Changes made to FreeForAll [Must Read!]

Due to the continued and increasing abuse of the original intent of the FreeForAll forum by a few members of YORF, all posts made there will now be moderated. That means they won't show up for others to read until I approve them.

In conjunction with this change I've updated the forum rules. Please re-read them to acquaint yourself with the changes:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10

I really did not want to do this. It makes a lot more work for me and slows down the discussion process in that forum. Unfortunately, a few people had to continue pushing the envelope.

I created YORF to give model rocketeers a place to discuss old model rockets and to keep the history of model rocketry alive. Since it's impractical to create a separate forum area for every aspect of rocketry I created the FreeForAll forum where people could talk about other rocketry things that didn't have its own forum and for light-hearted non-rocketry discussion. Instead, it has devolved to mud-slinging, complaining, name calling and the like. I'm sick of it and won't tolerate it anymore.

Maybe it's my fault for calling the area FreeForAll? No, I can't blame myself since I have forum rules that state how people should conduct themselves here.

Maybe someday down the road I'll lift the need for moderation of that area. Until then all posts in FreeForAll will be moderated. If you don't see something you wrote appear on the site within 24 hours, you can be certain that what you wrote does not follow the guidelines. This system should be self-teaching. If you make a post that does not appear within a day you should know not to post that type of content in the future. I will give members one freebie where I won't contact you if I have to delete a post. The second time I have to delete a post of yours you will get a verbal warning. If it happens a third time, you'll be suspended for 30 days. Should a member who is reinstated after their 30-day suspension break the forum rules again, they will be permanently banned from YORF.

Again, I'm sorry to the vast majority of the YORF membership that have been able to follow a few simple rules. As is almost always the case, a few can ruin something good for everyone.

A Fish Named Wallyum 05-04-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Due to the continued and increasing abuse of the original intent of the FreeForAll forum by a few members of YORF, all posts made there will now be moderated. That means they won't show up for others to read until I approve them.

In conjunction with this change I've updated the forum rules. Please re-read them to acquaint yourself with the changes:

I really did not want to do this. It makes a lot more work for me and slows down the discussion process in that forum. Unfortunately, a few people had to continue pushing the envelope.

I created YORF to give model rocketeers a place to discuss old model rockets and to keep the history of model rocketry alive. Since it's impractical to create a separate forum area for every aspect of rocketry I created the FreeForAll forum where people could talk about other rocketry things that didn't have its own forum and for light-hearted non-rocketry discussion. Instead, it has devolved to mud-slinging, complaining, name calling and the like. I'm sick of it and won't tolerate it anymore.

Maybe it's my fault for calling the area FreeForAll? No, I can't blame myself since I have forum rules that state how people should conduct themselves here.

Maybe someday down the road I'll lift the need for moderation of that area. Until then all posts in FreeForAll will be moderated. If you don't see something you wrote appear on the site within 24 hours, you can be certain that what you wrote does not follow the guidelines. This system should be self-teaching. If you make a post that does not appear within a day you should know not to post that type of content in the future. I will give members one freebie where I won't contact you if I have to delete a post. The second time I have to delete a post of yours you will get a verbal warning. If it happens a third time, you'll be suspended for 30 days. Should a member who is reinstated after their 30-day suspension break the forum rules again, they will be permanently banned from YORF.

Again, I'm sorry to the vast majority of the YORF membership that have been able to follow a few simple rules. As is almost always the case, a few can ruin something good for everyone.

Wait, does this mean there will be a chance that rocketry posts will outnumber the current events and psuedo-politics posts? :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum 05-04-2015 05:15 PM

And THANK YOU!!!!!

mojo1986 05-04-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
And THANK YOU!!!!!

I'll echo that!!

Joe

Gus 05-04-2015 07:34 PM

Thank You, Scott.

Randy 05-04-2015 08:03 PM

YEA!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

gpoehlein 05-04-2015 09:09 PM

You have my total support on this, Scott. Not that you need it, of course! :p

the mole 05-04-2015 09:18 PM

Let me get in line with all of you. THANK YOU!

/// 05-04-2015 09:35 PM

Thank you also from this new member who was starting to doubt his choice of forum.

SEL 05-04-2015 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

That's the best non-rocket news I've read in months!!!!
Not that I've been reading much of it lately :rolleyes:

Thanks,

S.

ghrocketman 05-05-2015 12:41 AM

No comment but understood.

tmacklin 05-05-2015 12:59 AM

I also understand and I am sorry if my often sarcastic posts have offended anyone, especially if they have placed an undeserved burden on Scott. I note that even at this late hour, there are 13 viewers looking at "Free for All" as opposed to only one looking at this thread.

I hereby plead guilty and throw myself upon the mercy of the court.

Joe Wooten 05-05-2015 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
I also understand and I am sorry if my often sarcastic posts have offended anyone, especially if they have placed an undeserved burden on Scott. I note that even at this late hour, there are 13 viewers looking at "Free for All" as opposed to only one looking at this thread.

I hereby plead guilty and throw myself upon the mercy of the court.

"Bailiff, whack off his peepee"

KidRockET 05-05-2015 07:34 AM

Everyone deserves an escape from this world...

Rockets are as good as any...

My apologies... :cool:

Sorry Scott

tmacklin 05-05-2015 08:13 AM

What peepee? I'm goin' fishin'!

rokitflite 05-05-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
And THANK YOU!!!!!

Well put Wally Fish!!!

Royatl 05-05-2015 09:00 AM

Whew! Thank you!

fulldec 05-05-2015 03:08 PM

I agree

Thanks for trying to keep it civil.

Marc_G 05-05-2015 08:13 PM

I think I'll hang out here more now because of the change. Well done.

greg young 05-06-2015 06:57 AM

thanks Scott!

Having run a forum in another hobby, I know the slippery slope you can wind up with in off-topic sections. It can be a no-win scenario for forum admins and mods.
I have seen several forums implode, eventually shutting down following an exodus of their members due to the hard feelings that inevitably arise.
While new forums often will arise in their wake, the cycle usually repeats.
Growing up in the 50's I was always taught that there are 2 subjects you don't discuss publically - religion and politics.
In these days of social media, it seems some folks feel the need to make their opinions on these subjects known, likely due to the frustrations they experience in their personal lives with issues they have no control over. I think we all experience that to some degree, as we all face issues in life. It's how we react to them that defines who we are.
I would think that for hobby and other specialty forums the topics should focus on topics relate to those. Those that wish to debate politics and religion, etc. certainly have enough forums available to them, to do so.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Greg

tmacklin 05-06-2015 10:56 AM

Thanks Greg for your great post which puts things into their proper perspective.

/// 05-06-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg young
I would think that for hobby and other specialty forums the topics should focus on topics relate to those. Those that wish to debate politics and religion, etc. certainly have enough forums available to them, to do so.

Well said.

Ltvscout 05-09-2015 09:01 AM

I'm going to be gone for a few days so I've set FreeForAll back to the way it was with no moderation. I trust you guys will continue to post within the rules while I'm gone.

There was only one new thread that I did not approve. That occurred yesterday around 6:30pm. Since he won't see it up, the poster of that thread now knows that that type of message does not belong here.