Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Semroc Maxi-Micron (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16926)

Initiator001 11-05-2017 01:02 AM

Semroc Maxi-Micron

1 Attachment(s)
A newly built Semroc Maxi-Micron model now graces my stable of flyable models.

The Maxi-Micron is an upscale of the Centuri Micron kit created by Carl/Semroc.
I liked the kits looks and size so I got one out of a storage box and built it.

The model is stock with the exception of adding a ejection gas baffle and longer shock cord (The stock shock cord was probably fine, I just like longer shock cords).
I also replaced the 1/8" launch lug with a 3/16" diameter lug. I felt a rocket this size could use a bit more stability at launch.

Weight/mass w/o motor is 3.2oz/92g. The instructions list a weight of 2.2 oz. I guess that baffle plus a lot of filler, primer and paint add up. :D

My thanks to Bernard Cawley for answering a few questions I had while building the kit. Bernie builds nice models and his Maxi-Micron flown at NSL 2013 inspired me in part to build one for myself.

BEC 11-05-2017 01:10 AM

Gee, thanks Bob.

The Maxi Micron Bob mentioned had some 18mm composite D10 and D21 flights at NSL 2013 and is now also wearing Carl's signature - so it's up on a high shelf alongside a Big Bertha signed by Vern at the same event.

I should build another....

stefanj 11-05-2017 09:53 AM

Mine is in the "repair or trash?" box after many good flights. It had a staging failure; I frequently flew it with the DeLeval-shaped finless booster stage.

It's a really nice demo rocket, single or two staged.

Jerry Irvine 11-05-2017 07:52 PM

I looked it up. 1.84" 18mm. Fail. I would use 24mm.

BARGeezer 02-06-2018 02:18 AM

The Semroc Booster-18 for the Maxi-Micron (and other series 18 rockets) is being discontinued. On sale for $1 at erockets. Got both in the mail yesterday.

Scott6060842 02-06-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
The Semroc Booster-18 for the Maxi-Micron (and other series 18 rockets) is being discontinued. On sale for $1 at erockets. Got both in the mail yesterday.

The Maxi-Micron was on my mental buy list (I believe it was part of the last group released by Carl). Although I am very selective on my kit buying as I build down my inventory, I nabbed one since it is being discontinued ... and got the last booster 18 too.

Thanks for the heads up :cool:

Space Ranger 05-15-2019 04:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
The Maxi-Micron was on my mental buy list (I believe it was part of the last group released by Carl). Although I am very selective on my kit buying as I build down my inventory, I nabbed one since it is being discontinued ... and got the last booster 18 too.

Thanks for the heads up :cool:

To add to this thread, attached a pic of my Semroc Maxi-MIcron.

I was also sad to see the Maxi discontinued, I thought it was one of the best values for a mod roc - it is larger diameter than a Big Bertha but was about the same cost as the retail price of the Bertha.

I finally also got to building a Semroc Micron with the cool red & white checkerboard Carl & Sheryl had for it.

I realized I had some similar large size checkerboard stickon sheet from Tower Hobbies, so I used it to create a similar "upscale" of the Micron (which is just what a Maxi-Micron is) (kind of like a Jumbo Shrimp.... :)

Space Ranger 05-15-2019 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hopefully, here is a better aligned photo, with some other close & distant BT-60 relatives: