Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Estes Saturn V Is Back! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16231)

hcmbanjo 09-20-2016 05:32 PM

Estes Saturn V Is Back!

1 Attachment(s)
Oh Boy! I get to be the one to announce it here first!

The Estes SATURN V is listed on the Estes website, moved to the "What's New" listings .
http://www.estesrockets.com/002157-saturn-v

At this moment, if you go to the product page it shows it "Out Of Stock"
But we are closer to lots and lots of masking!

the mole 09-20-2016 06:48 PM

Hope they make the new plastic fin a viable separately. I need them to update my old kits.
They would make the fins step much easier to build. :)

jeffyjeep 09-21-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Hope they make the new plastic fin a viable separately. I need them to update my old kits.
They would make the fins step much easier to build. :)

Hear! Hear! Perhaps they'll offer the plastic parts kit separately like with the LJII.

There must be a million SV's out there with busted fins and crushed LES's!

blackshire 09-25-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Oh Boy! I get to be the one to announce it here first!

The Estes SATURN V is listed on the Estes website, moved to the "What's New" listings .
http://www.estesrockets.com/002157-saturn-v

At this moment, if you go to the product page it shows it "Out Of Stock"
But we are closer to lots and lots of masking!
That's great news! Maybe it's the first in a new two-kit "then & now historical set," the other perhaps being an SLS scale kit?

ghrocketman 09-25-2016 11:52 AM

They are finally reccommending realistic motor choices for this kit with the E30-4 and the E12-4.
They should completely drop the D12-3 from the list...unless there is zero wind and one wants a lame-O flight it is useless.
The 24mm SU F32-4 is a great motor for this kit.

blackshire 09-25-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
They are finally reccommending realistic motor choices for this kit with the E30-4 and the E12-4.
They should completely drop the D12-3 from the list...unless there is zero wind and one wants a lame-O flight it is useless.
The 24mm SU F32-4 is a great motor for this kit.
The description on its page doesn't mention the 3 x 18 mm motor cluster option that earlier releases of the Saturn V kit had. While I wouldn't care to try flying it on three C6 black powder motors, three 18 mm composite D10 or D21 motors should give it a sufficiently energetic--and realistic looking, with multiple exhaust flames--flight profile (albeit with the risk of having a motor fail to ignite at launch, of course).

tbzep 09-25-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
The description on its page doesn't mention the 3 x 18 mm motor cluster option that earlier releases of the Saturn V kit had. While I wouldn't care to try flying it on three C6 black powder motors, three 18 mm composite D10 or D21 motors should give it a sufficiently energetic--and realistic looking, with multiple exhaust flames--flight profile (albeit with the risk of having a motor fail to ignite at launch, of course).

The most realistic flight profile is the single D12-3. Slow and majestic...but it ends a little soon. 3 C6's kick it off the pad quickly, more like the space shuttle. Just about any composite motor makes the liftoff profile look more like a Nike booster. As for multiple exhaust flames, if you keep the mount at it's stock recessed location, you won't see much flame out of smaller outboards. A10's have about finished their peak thrust by the time the rocket clears the pad.

blackshire 09-25-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The most realistic flight profile is the single D12-3. Slow and majestic...but it ends a little soon. 3 C6's kick it off the pad quickly, more like the space shuttle. Just about any composite motor makes the liftoff profile look more like a Nike booster. As for multiple exhaust flames, if you keep the mount at it's stock recessed location, you won't see much flame out of smaller outboards. A10's have about finished their peak thrust by the time the rocket clears the pad.
A10s never entered my considerations, although they (or A3-4Ts) might be just right for the BT-60 size, semi-scale Estes Saturn V; somewhere between three and five 13 mm mini motors should give the semi-scale Saturn V realistic liftoffs. (Today's 3D printing could easily make this 1:242 scale model--including in a Skylab 1 version--available again.) Also:

That's what I was thinking (besides the multiple exhaust flames) regarding the 1:100 scale Saturn V--three 18 mm composite "D" motors, with their greater aggregate "dry weight" (after their propellant is consumed) than a single "E" or "F" motor, should provide slow, realistic liftoffs (three D10 composite motors might be a good match for the Estes Saturn V's weight). (The plastic, RTF Cox Saturn V had that same realistic ascent with two D12-3 motors, which the model needed due to its greater weight.)

dlazarus6660 09-28-2016 11:55 PM

Are you kidding me!

I still have my 1999, 30th anniversary kit sitting on the shelf, unbuilt!

stefanj 09-29-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Are you kidding me!

I still have my 1999, 30th anniversary kit sitting on the shelf, unbuilt!

I just started on mine. Filling the tube spirals and glued in the motor mount and stuffer tube.