Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   White Estes Parachutes? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15580)

K'Tesh 11-08-2015 11:59 AM

White Estes Parachutes?

At the OROC meeting last Thursday, I scored another DRM, and was looking at it through the packaging when I noticed something different. There's a message on the parachute's packaging saying that:

Quote:
Dear Estes Customer,
Due to new restrictions regarding the printing of
plastic materials, we have had to temporarily
suspend printing our colorful parachutes. This
white parachute material conforms to all current
government requirements and can be decorated
with a design of your choice using colored markers.

© 2009 Estes-Cox Corp. All rights reserved. PN66201 (2-09) Printed in China.

I'm curious, what was the restrictions on printing all about? How long did this situation last? Was the DRM the only rocket that had this (perhaps due to the black color ink?), or did all 2009 Estes' rockets come out in white? And with all the rockets I've bought and researched over the years, Why haven't I ever heard of this before?

The face card shows the traditional black skull parachute and a blaze that says "New 18" (457mm) der Red Max Parachute!" and is dated by a © 2007.

Rex R 11-08-2015 12:51 PM

the ink they had been using had (I think) excess lead in it. the all white chutes were followed by the transparent red chutes before the current chutes.
Rex

tbzep 11-08-2015 01:45 PM

It was all Estes chutes produced in China. You can search threads here. It was discussed quite a bit, including the super high costs to get every little tiny bit of every kit tested and approved for import.

K'Tesh 11-08-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
the ink they had been using had (I think) excess lead in it. the all white chutes were followed by the transparent red chutes before the current chutes.
Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It was all Estes chutes produced in China. You can search threads here. It was discussed quite a bit, including the super high costs to get every little tiny bit of every kit tested and approved for import.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm amazed that I somehow managed to not see any of those discussions. I suspected it was Pb causing the problems.

BEC 11-08-2015 03:44 PM

As others have noted it was the imposition of some extremely tight lead standards for toys that caused them to go from the colorful Chinese 'chutes that had been around for a long time to the white ones, then the translucent red ones (which work very nicely and are visible in all sky conditions) and on to the current patterned ones which are reminiscent of the designs of 45 years ago. That, and the "real" DRM chutes.

jadebox 11-09-2015 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
Rex

It wasn't necessarily that the ink actually had lead in it, but that it hadn't been tested and shown to meet the new requirements that had just been introduced.

-- Roger

Joe Wooten 11-09-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
It wasn't necessarily that the ink actually had lead in it, but that it hadn't been tested and shown to meet the new requirements that had just been introduced.

-- Roger

Guilty until proven innocent.......

Gotta protect all those guys who love chewing parachutes so they don't die from lead poisoning.

SCooke123 11-11-2015 05:38 PM

How true - I thought this was about white chutes in Estes kits. I've never seen one and this is the first I've heard about them too. Have to start looking around some and see if I can find one.

K'Tesh 11-11-2015 05:54 PM

I'm actually interested in seeing some of the others described too... I haven't opened my kit up to expose the white parachute, but I don't know if I've seen the transparent red ones either.

tbzep 11-11-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
I'm actually interested in seeing some of the others described too... I haven't opened my kit up to expose the white parachute, but I don't know if I've seen the transparent red ones either.

The white chutes were pre-assembled. The plastic is just like the current printed ones without the screen printed color. The shroud lines were wimpy and fuzzy, making them easier to burn through if someone skimped on wadding. I don't think I have any red chute kits.