Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Last one for NARAM-60 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17369)

Initiator001 07-04-2018 05:05 PM

Last one for NARAM-60

1 Attachment(s)
I finished up my build of a new Initiator to be flown at NARAM-60.

My previous Initiator model was beginning to look worn so it was time for a new one.
Plus, I wanted to use up more of that case of Krylon Pewter Grey I bought to finish my Big Brute.

This was an older Initiator kit so I replaced the motor hook/block with one of those nice AeroTech 29mm Motor Retainers (Thanks, Charlie!).

I'll probably fly the model with a AeroTech F20-4W SU motor and a JLCR at NARAM-60.

Initiator001 07-04-2018 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It might be difficult to tell the difference in the body tube/fin color using the Pewter Grey so here is a picture of an Initiator in the standard paint scheme with my new build.

Initiator001 07-04-2018 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When AeroTeh released it's first kits in 1990, Estes was in the midst of being (over) sold.

Once Estes and it's new owners finished up their financial dealings, the company started to think about new products.

In another thread in the History section I discuss the development of the original Estes Pro Series kits which were to compete with the AeroTech models.

As described in an earlier build post, I finished up an Estes Pro Series Impulse model after 26 years.
The Impulse was the Estes model to compete with the Initiator.

Since I now have a built Impulse and a newly built Initiator, time for a group picture.

DeanHFox 07-05-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
When AeroTeh released it's first kits in 1990, Estes was in the midst of being (over) sold.

Once Estes and it's new owners finished up their financial dealings, the company started to think about new products.

In another thread in the History section I discuss the development of the original Estes Pro Series kits which were to compete with the AeroTech models.

As described in an earlier build post, I finished up an Estes Pro Series Impulse model after 26 years.
The Impulse was the Estes model to compete with the Initiator.

Since I now have a built Impulse and a newly built Initiator, time for a group picture.
While the Impulse is a cool-looking bird, there's just something about that "cranked delta" fin design on the Initiator that gets my heart thumping... :)

tbzep 07-05-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
While the Impulse is a cool-looking bird, there's just something about that "cranked delta" fin design on the Initiator that gets my heart thumping... :)
How many Astron Drifter models do you have? Not quite a delta, but they are "cranked". :cool:

DeanHFox 07-05-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
How many Astron Drifter models do you have? Not quite a delta, but they are "cranked". :cool:
Let's just say "more than one...but less than a dozen" :D

LeeR 07-05-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:
Let's just say "more than one...but less than a dozen" :D

The Drifter was a very memorable build when I was a teenager. Loved those fins, and that tapered shroud at the aft end. Cool!
Sadly, it came with a 24” chute, besides the 12”. My first flight was with the big chute, and it proved to be a “drifter”. It was also a “climber”. :)

Kansas is just east of Colorado. I’m guessing some kid on a farm in Kansas retrieved my Drifter.

I’m currently building an upscale Sky Hook using an Estes Panavia kit. May have to get another one and build a Super Drifter ...

Regarding the Initiator, that was my first Aerotech kit back in the early 90s. I’m must have been drawn to those “cranked delta” fins. :)

I still have that rocket.

Initiator001 07-05-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

I like your way of thinking. ;)

Initiator001 07-05-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Regarding the Initiator, that was my first Aerotech kit back in the early 90s. I’m must have been drawn to those “cranked delta” fins. :)

I still have that rocket.

Bring it to NARAM-60, Lee.
We can have a fly-off. :D

LeeR 07-05-2018 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Bring it to NARAM-60, Lee.
We can have a fly-off. :D

Bob, I’d like that! It looks a little different. I landed on a narrow asphalt paved road over 20 years ago that ran right our launch site. (Not everyone in our group could do that ...)

One fin had its tip broken off. I sawed off the others. And sometime later it became the test bed for doing Easter Egg dipped paint jobs with my kids.

I need to build another, assuming I can find one. I think I heard Gary mention that they are awaiting motor retainers for kits?