Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes 2452 Athena Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7441)

barone 07-23-2010 09:23 PM

Estes 2452 Athena Build

While I'm waiting for the glue to dry on another project, I thought I would work on this build. I was really surprised how easy and straight forward the build was. The instructions were well written and easy to understand with plenty of pictures to show you what to do.

This first image is a picture of what comes in the package.....

I took some liberty with the first step in the assembly instructions and attached the parachute to a locking-tab barrel snap swivel.

Then attached the shock cord and parachute to the nose cone as directed in the instructions. You can see some of the metal flake in the pre-colored nose cone.

Then inserted the parachute and shock cord into the body tube and installed the nose cone.

This rocket is for my granddaughter. She's out of town this weekend so I'll have to wait to fly it. Looking forward to sending it up on an A8-3 (like to keep it low enough and close enough for her to chase.... :D )

Doug Sams 07-23-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Speaking of this....has anyone seen this bird with the box-art fins? Or do they all have the Alpha style fins?

Doug

Initiator001 07-23-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Speaking of this....has anyone seen this bird with the box-art fins? Or do they all have the Alpha style fins?

Doug

My Athena RTF has the 'Alpha' style fins.

Bob

BEC 07-24-2010 01:33 AM

Had to laugh at this being a "build" thread....

As near as we can tell there must have been some kind of problem with the box art fin can....when this first came out there was some grumbling that what was in the box didn't match the picture. The trade though is a real motor mount and engine hook rather than one of those plastic twist on/off retainers.

As I've noted several other threads this is a great flyer and that the drag/mass combination yields just about perfectly-timed deployments on both the Estes A8-3 and B6-4. I've also converted one to a same-length payloader by cutting the BT and putting in a coupler/disk type lower end so I could put an altimeter in it (such as the How High SP).

I've put some vents in the top of the BT of another so that I can use the AltimeterOne in it.

barone 07-24-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Had to laugh at this being a "build" thread....

ROTFLMAO.......Well, I'm glad someone else saw the humor in it..... :chuckle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
As near as we can tell there must have been some kind of problem with the box art fin can....when this first came out there was some grumbling that what was in the box didn't match the picture. The trade though is a real motor mount and engine hook rather than one of those plastic twist on/off retainers.

There is a disclaimer in the "Launch Tip" section of the plans......."Rocket color and shape may vary."

Ltvscout 07-24-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
While I'm waiting for the glue to dry on another project, I thought I would work on this build.

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Good one, Don!

Pem Tech 07-24-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Doug

Was wondering if anyone else noticed that.