Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sunward Explorer (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16383)

Overeasy123 12-17-2016 08:06 PM

Sunward Explorer

4 Attachment(s)
What kit has me building a barrel out of a roughly 2.125" diameter, raw cardboard tube with a cavernous seam? Why, Sunward's Explorer, of course. I'll hafta scavenge an Alpha cone, 'cause there's no way I'm filling the chasmic defect on the kit's Blue Beauty. Luckily I have an 18" BT-50 in stock to replace the creased specimen from the sack. Fins are CWF'd.

Overeasy123 12-17-2016 08:17 PM

Wait a sec!

1 Attachment(s)
I found a sack of these type balsa cones around, from a long-ago ebay score! This'll work just fine.

Overeasy123 01-08-2017 03:38 PM

Matthew Stafford vs. Used Toilet Paper.

3 Attachment(s)
When first I gazed upon this 2.125" diameter, raw cardboard tube, with the chasmic seams, I had no idea that I was met with an Agent of Transformation; a Catalytic Train Ride, on Rails to Nirvana.
Here she is, sanded to Velvety-Smoothness, after 1.5 coats of Aerogloss Dope.

Rex R 01-08-2017 04:22 PM

golly that thing looks just like a bt70 tube coupler...I papered mine.
Rex

Overeasy123 01-08-2017 06:38 PM

Ya got her Spun, now, Rex.

2 Attachment(s)
Up, Down, Left, Right?

She's been thrown into C-C-Crisis! A Raw Throw-Away Tube, a BT-70 Coupler? Papered, Primered, does it ever matter? Can she ever hope to be more than the sum of her parts?

Dressed in 2x Primer, now; sanding when she's cured.

This's like Martin Sheen juxtaposed with a twirling ceiling fan, punching a mirror, only more dramatic.

yipes.

(I feel I'm echoing the B.S. drama swirling about the Lions' chances of winning that game last night.)

neil_w 01-09-2017 09:58 AM

Entertaining build! :D

I wonder why they would put an unpainted model on the facecard like that? Looks uninviting.

Overeasy123 01-13-2017 09:27 PM

Dry Fit-tahj

4 Attachment(s)
As soon as I sand the Primered Barrel, I can asphyxiate it to the BT, and glue the fins on.

I stuck my head into the local Sal's yesternight, looking for Fine, Crystalline Stemware, at Throwaway Prices. Alas, I but found a $.69 Coffee Mug, with a Spurious Quotation. The colors are my fav'rite complements; perhaps I grow into and with the Positive Attitude Nonsense.

Can't wait to brew 12oz of Yuban am Morgen-Flieghen.

Overeasy123 01-13-2017 10:18 PM

A Dead Horse.

2 Attachment(s)
Many of the Estes Instruction Sheets represent, to me, an Apex of Clarity in Technical Writing and Illustration. They're just so good, the Glassine Tubes and PNCs grow sexier by proxy. This Bullpup Sheet's a recent Fave of mine.

chrism 01-14-2017 12:47 PM

This is a nice rocket. I also papered the BT-70 tube as well as the fins.

Overeasy123 01-31-2017 06:43 PM

Slow 'n Easy

3 Attachment(s)
Sanded the Barrel, and glued it to the BT. Sanded the first fin. With the cut into the root edge and the vee in the trailing edge there's lots of places for the fin to flex.

The first photo's of a Semroc My Boid. I've wondered for a long time now why any designer would leave the engine tube hanging below the end of the BT. HCM explained it to me in a recent post on his Galactic Taxi: clearance for the engine hook is minimal between the 20-50 tubes. Although it's never bothered me on a Alpha that I can remember, the hook in the Explorer is a tad problematic. Is it because the holder tab on this engine hook is a skosh longer than usual? Perhaps. In the Explorer Aft Close-Up it's visible that I've sanded through the glassine due to the hook deforming the BT. I bet it's gonna stress the enamel coat, too. If I had it to do over, I think I'd cheat the engine mount down a quarter inch.