Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   YOLO, "You only live once... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=13862)

chadrog 04-21-2014 04:24 PM

YOLO, "You only live once...

3 Attachment(s)
the battle cry of a generation".

Intro

Well, it's now time I quit staring at these parts and get crackin'. This thread is to serve as partial documentation of my level 3 certification project, and to help share information with my mentors - Sather Ranum (NAR L3CC), and Mark Hackler. Thank you both for getting on board with my project, I appreciate it immensely, as I also have appreciated your wisdom and friendship since getting involved with WOOSH back in '09.

As some have noticed, I recently finished building a Wildman Darkstar 3. It's kind of funny how things have come to be regarding this kit and the Ultimate Darkstar I will build for my certification attempt. Both kits were purchased the same day, about a year and a half ago. The ultimate by me, the DS3 by friend Adrian Butler. I had no plan in place to build the Ultimate (other than an L3 attempt at some point), and Adrian never has any plan in place to build anything... A year later Adrian offered it up for sale, and I jumped on it. I didn't buy one during the original offering due to expending my budget on the Ultimate and many others that weekend, but I still really wanted one. It wasn't until I was half done with the DS3 that I realized it was a near perfect half scale of the Ultimate, and would serve as a perfect test bed for the test flights needed for my L3 electronics. The electronics do not need to be tested in a scale vehicle, but I think it's kind of cool that they will be! My original motivation for putting the DS3 together was so junior and I would have something new and cool to fly this summer. He's an eager up-and-comer, and I love having him involved with the things I'm involved in, with him learning so many things along the way that I never knew existed at his age. He'll be starting a Jr. Level 1 project this coming fall.

My choice for this particular kit was based mostly on the ability to fly it at my home field, Richard Bong State Recreation Area, To complete the Bong certification trifecta. We only have waiver to 10K at Bong, so a big-a$$ heavy rocket fits the bill.

PROJECT "YOLO"

I had no plan for a name or any fanfare for my project, until this hit me. It's not because I take it seriously, but because I love the 180 degree twist that Lonely Island put on the "movement"(if it can really be called that). I like their logo, clean and simple, might get it on the rocket/might not. I'm a big fan of Lonely Island, and what they do incorporating other artists from so many genres into their music. Be careful if you look them up, most of their material is not for the purist. And besides, you do only live once.
Link to "YOLO": http://youtu.be/z5Otla5157c

Getting Started

The DS3 took it's toll on my bench, I need to get down to some serious reorg before I get started on anything. Relocation of my 1" belt sander and drill press will also be needed, simply due to the size of components. I'm going to get going on that now, 'til next time, YOLO.

Russ 04-21-2014 04:36 PM

Subscribed. Look forward to following the build here, at club meetings, at club launches, and at just general BS sessions.

Got the date on the calendar too. No way I'm missing that flight.

scsager 04-21-2014 06:58 PM

Personally, I'm more of a "You Only Live Twice" (James Bond movie) 'kinda guy... :cool:
-subscribed !

mikemech 04-21-2014 08:04 PM

What's wrong with the bench? It looks pretty much like mine.
However, why is a hammer chucked in the wood vise? I normally put the workpiece in the vise and swing the hammer.

chadrog 04-22-2014 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Subscribed. Look forward to following the build here, at club meetings, at club launches, and at just general BS sessions.

Got the date on the calendar too. No way I'm missing that flight.

Well if all goes as planned, it will be mostly mundane with a little excitement, I don't want to end up on that highlight reel. ;)

chadrog 04-22-2014 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsager
Personally, I'm more of a "You Only Live Twice" (James Bond movie) 'kinda guy... :cool:
-subscribed !

I'm not familiar with that arrangement, but it sounds like its worth a shot!

chadrog 04-22-2014 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemech
What's wrong with the bench? It looks pretty much like mine.
However, why is a hammer chucked in the wood vise? I normally put the workpiece in the vise and swing the hammer.

The bench is just a little cramped in that state is all, all taken care of now. The hammer was just laying on top of the vice, and it narrowly missed a toe when I bumped it off - a stern reminder of why I shouldn't be wearing flip flops in the basement.

Sather 04-22-2014 10:36 AM

Off to a good start, Chad. Some words of limited wisdom so I can claim a tiny level of mentorship...
(a) I am so impressed you are going for the elusive Bong trifecta. I, like so many others, bailed into the safety net of MWP.

(b) Your work area is way more organized than mine. My projects eventually migrate into forbidden areas of the house. Avoid that and you will achieve localized world peace. ;)

(c) Enjoy the build and the flight. Glass kits go together easily and are nearly indestructible, a perfect choice for certification. Don't forget to breath.

See you Saturday.

Sather

jd2cylman 04-22-2014 11:09 AM

So I build a little slow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
As some have noticed, I recently finished building a Wildman Darkstar 3. It's kind of funny how things have come to be regarding this kit and the Ultimate Darkstar I will build for my certification attempt. Both kits were purchased the same day, about a year and a half ago. The ultimate by me, the DS3 by friend Adrian Butler. I had no plan in place to build the Ultimate (other than an L3 attempt at some point), and Adrian never has any plan in place to build anything... A year later Adrian offered it up for sale, and I jumped on it. I didn't buy one during the original offering due to expending my budget on the Ultimate and many others that weekend, but I still really wanted one.

Wow is it that obvious? I am building the world's slowest L3 rocket. I have firm plans to launch it in this decade :p

Adrian

chadrog 04-22-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2cylman
Wow is it that obvious? I am building the world's slowest L3 rocket. I have firm plans to launch it in this decade :p

Adrian

Well as long as you have a plan in place it's all good! I appreciate your patience, it landed me a rocket that I was really regretting not getting. :) I wonder if Tim will ever make the 3" again?