Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gooneybirds! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16228)

EQPlayer 09-16-2016 08:05 PM

Gooneybirds!

We cleaned out the attic and found a few boxes of rockets. Most of them were broken junk but then I found these three!

Galaxy Guppy

Sky Shriek

Zoom Broom

Also were two unbuilt kits, Missile Toe and Zoom Broom. Wow those are classics. The Missile Toe box is still shrinkwrapped.

They do have some damage, the bottom fin of the Galaxy Guppy is missing, and half of one bottom fin on the Zoom Broom is broken off. Doesn't matter, they are going on the display shelf!

Blushingmule 09-16-2016 08:19 PM

Who ever built those did a right fair job! Should'a seen the models that I built back in the day; yechh!!

Bob

Scott_650 09-17-2016 06:28 AM

Really wanted to build a Gooney back in the day - never did one. There's a '57 Gooney pkan set in the build pile that I hope finishes out as nice as these - nifty!

Quasar 11-03-2016 11:16 AM

I'm probably in the minority, but I remember losing some respect for Estes when I first saw the Goonybirds show up in the catalog. At the time, I considered model rockets "science", not "toys", and thought Goonybirds to be silly and childish. But, then again, I was only 12 years old. Now, I wish I had the whole set. Thanks for sharing.

gpoehlein 11-04-2016 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar
I'm probably in the minority, but I remember losing some respect for Estes when I first saw the Goonybirds show up in the catalog. At the time, I considered model rockets "science", not "toys", and thought Goonybirds to be silly and childish. But, then again, I was only 12 years old. Now, I wish I had the whole set. Thanks for sharing.

Saddly, what we got wasn't what was originally intended. Those of us who have been in this forum for quite some time will likely remember that, when Mike Dorfler was still with us, he shared some development sketches of the goonies. Essentially, they were "super deformed" parody models (sort of what Rat Fink was to model cars). One was a parody of the Red Baron's plane, another a parody of the V2. Then Estes marketing took over and changed the concept to what we had in 73.

Unfortunately, after a couple vendors kitted out a couple of those sketches and started creating their own parody goonies, he removed the sketches.

neil_w 11-04-2016 08:12 AM

I wasn't a huge fan of the original goonies but lately I get a huge kick out of goony versions of other well-known rockets. The goony Interceptor is probably my favorite.

Rex R 11-04-2016 11:47 AM

fortunately semroc (and erockets has continued them) came out with 'Groonies' (grown up goonies) (erockets/semroc/skill level 1). personally I would suggest that one follows semroc's lead and make any scratch builds a trifle larger than the originals and use an 18mm motor. the originals didn't go over high and with todays mini motors they go even less high. with my zoom broom I wonder if the chute will open in time.
Rex