Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Star Trek Into Darkness WOW! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=12518)

dlazarus6660 05-17-2013 09:15 PM

Star Trek Into Darkness WOW!

Star Trek Into Darkness WOW!
I won't give anything away except they are following the same formula as the original ST movie series. Even ones are better.

Bob H 05-17-2013 11:57 PM

Saw it tonight in 3D. Liked it very much. I won't give away any of the plot.

Tau Zero 05-18-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Even ones are better.
"Nemesis" was #10. For me, that discounted the "even ones are better" assertion. (sad look) So as always, your mileage may vary. ;)

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2009 reboot, and have been looking forward to the current movie. :D :cool:

Jerry Irvine 05-18-2013 02:00 PM

I saw it and I will say two things about it. It touches several Trekkie G-spots along the way, and it is the alternate time line of the new movie cast. See if you can find "Easter Eggs".

There needs to be a stun setting two, for other species.

mycrofte 05-19-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I saw it and I will say two things about it. It touches several Trekkie G-spots along the way, and it is the alternate time line of the new movie cast. See if you can find "Easter Eggs".

There needs to be a stun setting two, for other species.

I think the TV show called it "heavy stun".

Brain 06-04-2013 07:38 PM

I could make a good argument for being the biggest Trekkie on the list ('Stone Trek' comes immediately to mind), so I'm biased. I'm also a realist. I've always wondered how Trek would be handled once the original faces could no longer be a part... and now we know - with tongues planted firmly in cheeks and some IMAX 3D to make it sear...

The angry hornet buzz was killer sound design.

Randy 06-05-2013 05:24 PM

We saw it last week and were basically underwhelmed. Been watching ST since the original broadcast of Charlie X and seen everything since. I think they've done a good job with the cast replacements but if all we have to look forward to is a constant recycle of the old story lines maybe it's time to hang it up.

I'd give it a C+ mostly for special effects.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

luke strawwalker 06-05-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
We saw it last week and were basically underwhelmed. Been watching ST since the original broadcast of Charlie X and seen everything since. I think they've done a good job with the cast replacements but if all we have to look forward to is a constant recycle of the old story lines maybe it's time to hang it up.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Basically sums up how I feel about it...

I mean a certain level of "rehashing" is sort of expected... and if there's enough of a twist to it, it can actually make pretty good shows (like TNG's twist on the original series episode "the Naked Time" (TNG "The Naked Now") where the crew is "infected" with morphed water molecules that act like alcohol... Kirk and co. nearly spiraled down into Psi 2000 on that one, on TNG Wesley reverses the tractor beam to push the ship out of the way of a stellar core fragment... with some twists and turns along the way including Data getting laid...

BUT, it can be done "wrong" too... using a certain "superhuman" character's blood to "reverse death" for instance...

Oh well, it's Abrams-Trek-- "nothing that happened before counts for anything" and "nothing's going to stand in our way of turning Star Trek into a comic book facsimile of the original"... IOW, "Abrams Trek" is JAFSM... Just another friggin' "superhero" movie...

Later! OL JR :)

kurtschachner 06-06-2013 12:33 PM

Thank you, finally a review I agree with. And "underwhelmed" was exactly the word I was thinking when I left the theater.

Not only the lame recycling of an old story line but the HUGE number of plot holes and inconsistencies was almost more than I could bear.

The whole idea behind the original series was that it had to be a good story and not rely on a technological "get out of jail free" card every week. This movie was tilted far too much in that direction. Come on, Kahn was a “superhuman” but he wasn’t Superman. Fending off a whole contingent of Klingons all by yourself? Right.

I thought the first movie made a good foundation for subsequent movies and I was excited to see the story this time around. But that was disappointing to say the least. Come on, you have this new and clean slate to work from and you have to dredge up an old storyline to be reheated?

And please, no more Leonard Nimoy cameos. Wasn't he sent back to the future already? Come on.

Quote:

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Bazookadale 06-06-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:
. I think they've done a good job with the cast replacements but if all we have to look forward to is a constant recycle of the old story lines maybe it's time to hang it up.

www.vernarockets.com

I agree - I didn't care for the rehash and I thought the ending went on far too long - kept thinkin "thats a good place to stop"