Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Der Saturn Max (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17352)

LeeR 06-25-2018 11:41 PM

Der Saturn Max

1 Attachment(s)
Der Saturn Max ...

From an alternate universe, where Germany won the war, and Werner Von Braun’s crazy twin designed Germany’s moon rocket ...

This model of the infamous DSM sits, awaiting transportation to Pueblo, Colorado for liftoff at NARAM-2018 in August.

Special DSM vinyl by Mark Hayes at Stickershock.

BEC 06-26-2018 12:01 AM

I don't know how I feel about that, Lee....but I'll look forward to seeing it fly in August.

leftover 06-26-2018 12:41 AM

Looks nice great combo

mojo1986 06-26-2018 06:17 AM

Inspirational!

ghrocketman 06-26-2018 10:25 AM

Neat !
I don't think I could do that to a Saturn V kit though.
Maybe from one that pranged though....

LeeR 06-26-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Neat !
I don't think I could do that to a Saturn V kit though.
Maybe from one that pranged though....

I’m usually turned off by scale models that are modified, and painted in different colors. But this was so over the top I was like a madman sketching ideas. What made it an easy decision was that this was a damaged, ratty looking old Saturn. It’s loaded with spot putty and filler-primer. And it was missing parts.

I couldn’t do this to a new kit... well, maybe I could. :)

Heck, I’ve stocked up on them over the years. And Estes apparently has the Saturn V kit listed in the new catalog.

ghrocketman 06-26-2018 01:25 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to order ANOTHER Estes Saturn V now.
Wish they would re-issue the 1B instead in 1/100 or 1/70 scale.

Newbomb Turk 06-26-2018 05:22 PM

Not to hijack the thread away from Lee's creative wizardry, but, oddly, having been flying since at least 1970 I've never owned a Saturn. The Alway kit I just received is my first one. Not sure if I've ever even seen one built. Certainly have never seen one fly in person.

Chas Russell 06-26-2018 07:40 PM

I have an Estes K-36 Saturn V kit, Two Centuri Saturn V kits, the Estes BT-60 Semi-scale Saturn V kit, and a recent Estes release purchased directly from them at a Pueblo, CO NARAM.

To date the only Saturn V kit that I have built since 1967 is the free BT-60 kit back in the early 70's. Long gone...

Chas

LeeR 06-26-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Yeah, I'm going to have to order ANOTHER Estes Saturn V now.
Wish they would re-issue the 1B instead in 1/100 or 1/70 scale.

I’m fortunate to have a couple of the 1/100 Saturn 1Bs. One is built, it just needs paint. I an trying to get it done by NARAM. It was a very fun build, except for the 8 fins made from vacuformed plastic — 16 thin, tiny pieces! A re-issue would be nice, and a re-issue with injection molded fins. :). But, even a re-issue of the last kit would be great — so many people want one.

I am fortunate to have a Semroc Saturn 1B, and the Apogee Saturn 1B kit, both 1/70. Apogee sells the Apollo Capsule separately, so I bought one for the Semroc.

I’m hoping to get one of my Saturn V kits done before next July’s 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. After that, I’ve got to start one of the big 1Bs.

I’m assuming the re-issue of the Saturn V is again the #2157 kit. The last re-issue by Estes featured injection molded fins. Fortunately Estes sold those fins as “replacements”, and they are still available if you have an older kit. Thank yous to John Boren for this very nice update.