Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Time to bring back the EMRR rocket contests? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15157)

Vanel 06-17-2015 07:50 PM

Time to bring back the EMRR rocket contests?

I don't know about you folks, but I really miss the old EMRR rocket contests (http://archive.rocketreviews.com/contests.shtml). They were challenging and a heck of a lot of fun, with some nice competition. I have been waiting to see if Roger might once again return the contests to Rocket Reviews, but I know he is very active in his business and may not have time. Given that jonrocket.com is a superb vendor (I have patronized them quite a few times), I was really wondering if it would be fair to ask him to devote more time to a hobby in which he is already making a significant contribution.

So:

1) What do you guys think about bringing back contests similar to the old EMRR ones, maybe 2-3 per year? I can provide some decent prizes, at least for the first couple, and am willing to kick things off.

2) If we do bring them back, where should they be hosted? On a forum like this one (we could call them the Old Grouch Rocket Events (O.G.R.E.)) or should a web site be created, or maybe a vendor would want to host? Again, I am willing to create something, but if Scott or somebody wishes to provide a spot, that would also be great.

Just throwing this out for discussion. Those old contests were mucho fun, and frankly, I would like to see if I can hang in there with some of you. Just like before, I'm sure the entries would be most spectacular :chuckle:

chalinaty 06-17-2015 08:39 PM

Good idea!

I participated in a couple of those and even won a Rockethead kit once. Sounds like a great idea! :)

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-17-2015 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
I don't know about you folks, but I really miss the old EMRR rocket contests (http://archive.rocketreviews.com/contests.shtml). They were challenging and a heck of a lot of fun, with some nice competition. I have been waiting to see if Roger might once again return the contests to Rocket Reviews, but I know he is very active in his business and may not have time. Given that jonrocket.com is a superb vendor (I have patronized them quite a few times), I was really wondering if it would be fair to ask him to devote more time to a hobby in which he is already making a significant contribution.

So:

1) What do you guys think about bringing back contests similar to the old EMRR ones, maybe 2-3 per year? I can provide some decent prizes, at least for the first couple, and am willing to kick things off.

2) If we do bring them back, where should they be hosted? On a forum like this one (we could call them the Old Grouch Rocket Events (O.G.R.E.)) or should a web site be created, or maybe a vendor would want to host? Again, I am willing to create something, but if Scott or somebody wishes to provide a spot, that would also be great.

Just throwing this out for discussion. Those old contests were mucho fun, and frankly, I would like to see if I can hang in there with some of you. Just like before, I'm sure the entries would be most spectacular :chuckle:

You already know my thoughts. :rolleyes:

ghrocketman 06-18-2015 07:41 AM

Sounds like a good idea that many would enjoy.
I really like the name O.G.R.E that Vanel came up with... :D

foamy 06-18-2015 07:45 AM

I had been thinking of the same thing a while ago. I think it's a good idea. I'd be willing and glad to participate. It'd be nice to have a thread for it here, if Scott didn't mind.

Ltvscout 06-18-2015 08:10 AM

If someone wishes to organize it, run it and solicit prizes from vendors, I'll create a section here for the contest. Of course we'd want a different name then the EMRR contest.

If Bill wishes to run the show, contact me via PM and we'll get things rolling.

Jerry Irvine 06-18-2015 08:23 AM

If you need a static website, I can provide free space with permanent stable URL's. It can be updated with contest result photos and stuff as well.

UMRS 06-18-2015 08:57 AM

Excellent idea, should be hosted here. As for a name I would suggest

YORF O.G.R.E Contest

After Vanels suggestion

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-18-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I really like the name O.G.R.E that Vanel came up with... :D

Go figure! :rolleyes: :D

LeeR 06-18-2015 12:06 PM

Sounds great.!

I've been sitting on the sidelines for awhile, trading rocketry for house remodeling, which is about as close to a hobby as I've gotten for awhile. At least I've added extensively to my wood shop tool inventory.

My grand daughters are of age to get started in the hobby, so I'm back to following YORF and I'm anxious to see this contest idea take off.