Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   For Sale (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Estes Space Shuttle Starter Set (EST 1467) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2841)

barone 02-22-2008 02:18 PM

Estes Space Shuttle Starter Set (EST 1467)

Okay...another OOP boxed kit in original shrinkwrap. $30 plus shipping.

Just PM me if interested. Thanks.

barone 03-05-2008 08:04 PM

Another one that seems no one is interested in.

barone 03-10-2008 09:17 AM

Okay. One just sold on Ebay for $24.95. I'm willing to match that price plus shipping.

Mikus 06-10-2008 01:13 PM

Did you ever get a taker?

barone 06-10-2008 03:07 PM

No...ended up selling it on Ebay. Sorry. Anything else you might be interested in?

Mikus 06-11-2008 11:25 AM

Nah, I've got a friend looking for one. Thanks!

poke44 06-11-2008 11:35 AM

Am looking for some of the estes Nasa rockets other than the redstone.
Also some of the maxi rockets

thanks

richardhealey 07-06-2008 11:21 AM

I am very interested in buying an EST 1467, 2 if available. Please let me know if anyone has any to offer. Many thanks, Richard

Shreadvector 07-07-2008 07:55 AM

Dangerous Rocket- Beware

This is the "Flying Foam Shuttle Orbiter of Death". It has started more fires on launch sites than any other rocket kit I have ever seen or heard of.

DO NOT FLY IT and if you store it in a closet, be sure to securely place a warning sign on the box so that if you pass away you do not have any family members who make the mistake of thinking that the rocket they found in your closet is safe to fly.

IT IS NOT SAFE.

It arcs over after leaving the rod and either ejects just above the ground if it flies horzontally (setting any grass or brush on fire or impacting into/through innocent children's eyes/brain) or it impacts the ground before the ejection charge goes off (same bad things mentioned above).

I have seen it work OK only a very few times and it is not consistant from flight to flight.

Nothing fixes it. Different motors do nothing (C6-3, C5-3, RMS D....). The alleged spin on boost is not consistant and if it starts late, it has already arced over and is flying horizontal just above the ground.

These sets are a menace and should be destroyed for the good of the Hobby.

I am not joking and I am 100% serious.

richardhealey 07-07-2008 08:17 AM

Fred,

Thanks for your reply!

I am very surprised you say this. The reason I am hunting for an EST 1467 is that I had lots of fun with mine and it flew very well ( I admit it was the first and last rocket I have purchased). No problems with launch. For an amateur it's trajectory under power seemed great (i.e. near as **** it to absolutely vertical), the motor always ejected properly and it the shuttle’s flight to earth was always good. I flew it probably 20 - 30 times till the last flight when it struck a tree branch and damaged it’s wing, at which point I thought it was due for retirement.

If I could think of a way of repairing the missing 1inch square piece of polystyrene I would, but I can’t think of a way that would not upset it’s balance and therefore it’s flight characteristics.

If you can suggest an alternative model, I’d really like to hear from you. Personally I very much like the shuttle for a rocket design and the EST 1467 wasn’t exactly testing to put together (a bonus!), though something a little more challenging wouldn’t be a problem as long as it wasn’t the complexity of some of the alternatives I have seen. I don’t really want to fabricate the whole shuttle (only for it to smash to smithereens on first launch!).

In the meantime, I’ll keep my 1467 safely under lock and key :)

Much appreciate it. Thanks, Richard