Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Signing up" at long last... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=889)

Tau Zero 06-06-2006 11:51 PM

"Signing up" at long last...

So what did I do with the extra cash that I got for working Memorial Day, instead of a "comp day?"

The last day of NARCON, Scott Goebel and I were reviewing how things had turned out. He said, "I'm surprised more NAR members weren't jumping at the chance to chauffeur Lee and Betty Piester around."

Then *I* divulged my embarrassing secret to Scott. He asked in disbelief, "You're *not* a NAR member yet?"

As of five minutes ago, that is *no longer the case.* Gentlemen, I am proud to announce to you all that, for the first time in my ~44.5 years,

--"I *am* the NAR." :D :cool:

But I'll have to wait a few days before I can add my number to my .sig file. :( :rolleyes: :cool:

"Upon receipt of this application at NAR HQ, it will be processed immediately and you can expect to receive your membership license within two weeks. You will also begin receiving Sport Rocketry magazine and our Model Rocketeer newsletter, effective with the next regular issue."

That apparently will be the July issue, which I have on good authority will contain NARCON 2006 coverage.

"Four to eight weeks after your membership license arrives, you will get a second packet of membership material, including discount coupons and descriptions of other NAR programs in which you can participate."

I'd better start saving more money now, huh? Let's see, the 4th of July is on Tuesday this year, and I could rake in 80 more bucks of take-home pay for working that day... :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

NAR ?????

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-07-2006 12:31 AM

At least we know it won't be 666. :eek: ;)

Tau Zero 06-07-2006 12:54 AM

"It's *scary,* boys and girls..." --Count Floyd on SCTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
At least we know it won't be 666. :eek: ;)
True. But I'll be *more* than a little freaked out if it's 66666.

I just went to usps.com to see if that was a legitimate ZIP code.

I got the answer, "The ZIP Code you entered could not be found in our database. Please confirm the ZIP Code and try again."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-07-2006 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek:

Ltvscout 06-07-2006 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Count Floyd! I LOVE SCTV!

Tweener 06-07-2006 09:02 AM

I'm not a NAR member either. As far as I know, there are no clubs within 50 miles at least. I just can't see the use when my rocketry is pretty much a solitary activity. When I was a kid I had quite a few friends in the hobby with me, but we grew up and I'm the only BAR. :( It would be nice to have others around to "hang out" with. Alas, this forum is my only link to anyone else my own age with an interest in rocketry.

Signed,

Lonely in Ohio

JRThro 06-07-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweener
I'm not a NAR member either. As far as I know, there are no clubs within 50 miles at least. I just can't see the use when my rocketry is pretty much a solitary activity. When I was a kid I had quite a few friends in the hobby with me, but we grew up and I'm the only BAR. :( It would be nice to have others around to "hang out" with. Alas, this forum is my only link to anyone else my own age with an interest in rocketry.

Signed,

Lonely in Ohio

Lance, go check out The Rocketry Forum, at www.rocketryforum.com. It's even bigger and more active than this forum, and many of the people who frequent YORF also hang around TRF.

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-07-2006 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Count Floyd! I LOVE SCTV!

Yeah, me too. I should have asked for the DVD set for Father's Day. Did you know that Count Floyd had a record out in 1982? Gotta track that one down to go with my two Bob and Doug albums. Great wall decorations. ;)

tbzep 06-07-2006 04:55 PM

I was a member but when I got out of HPR I let both my TRA and NAR expire. At the time, the NAR mag was mostly geared toward mid and high power. I'd like to be a member, but I go through tires on my VFR (my main interest right now) pretty quickly and every little nickel counts.

JRThro 06-07-2006 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
True. But I'll be *more* than a little freaked out if it's 66666.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jay, they should be well into the mid to upper 80,000's by now. My number, assigned in 2/05, is 84553. So I think you're safe from being given 66666.