Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Ask the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Mars Lander history (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2130)

marslndr 09-05-2007 10:58 AM

Mars Lander history

I'm kind of obsessed with this rocket. For me it represents the golden age of rocketry. I never bought it as a kid, I thought it was too expensive/hard. As an adult I have cloned one and have 2 Semroc landers.

Does the good doctor have any insight to its development? I see from the history post that it was designed by Wayne Kellner. Can anyone fill in any information? It seems it was inspired by the LEM, and it has the Martin Marietta name on it. The urban legend when I grew up was that Estes had asked Martin Marietta to come up with a design that could be turned into realistic looking rocket, but I have never found any proof of this.

The lander is such a different rocket from anything produced at the time. With out computers it must have had a few spectacular failures before Mr. Kellner got it right.

Can the Doctor or anyone shed any light on the development of this classic?

Thanks

Mark

Shreadvector 09-05-2007 11:45 AM

While you're waiting for an answer, feel free to Google "mars excursion module". Lots of reports and diagrams out there.

Rocket Doctor 09-05-2007 01:23 PM

I cannot shed light on this one. Perhaps Matt Steele could lend a hand or possibly Roy.

Royatl 09-05-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I cannot shed light on this one. Perhaps Matt Steele could lend a hand or possibly Roy.

wish I could, but I have no idea. I, too, was struck by how different it was from everything else that came out in '69 or for many years after.

marslndr 09-11-2007 01:30 PM

Does anyone know if Mr. Kellner is still alive? I tried a google search, but nothing conclusive came up. Anyone know when he left Estes?

Thanks

Mark

ManofSteele 09-23-2007 07:10 PM

Mars Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor

Sorry - that was before my time at Estes as well. Ron Mclaren did the Mini-Marz Lander while we were there that was a lot of fun.

Matt

scigs30 09-24-2007 11:44 AM

Is Semrocs' version a clone of the orig. Estes Mars Lander? If not what are the differences? I am collecting most of the 1979 Estes Catalog and the Mars Lander is not one that I was looking at collecting. I was never interested in it, and I hear it is not a good flyer. I see it on Ebay all the time going for 150.00. I spend a lot on rockets that I like and want to build but the jury is still out on this one. If I build it I may just build the Semroc version. I do agree it is a neat looking craft and someday I would like to build a scale plastic version.

Rocket Doctor 09-24-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Is Semrocs' version a clone of the orig. Estes Mars Lander? If not what are the differences? I am collecting most of the 1979 Estes Catalog and the Mars Lander is not one that I was looking at collecting. I was never interested in it, and I hear it is not a good flyer. I see it on Ebay all the time going for 150.00. I spend a lot on rockets that I like and want to build but the jury is still out on this one. If I build it I may just build the Semroc version. I do agree it is a neat looking craft and someday I would like to build a scale plastic version.

Contact Carl at Semroc carl@semroc.com

marslndr 09-24-2007 12:21 PM

Sigs30,

Carl at Semroc would be the best to answer your question, But having cloned a Mars Lander and bought 2 Semroc landers I can tell you they are very close, in fact I replaced my flat wraps with Semroc ones. They are so nice I did not even paint them!. The Semroc lander has updated material but builds an excellent, accurate lander. Some people have had trouble with stability, But I have not to date, and I have flown mine in 10-15 mph winds.

Mark

snaquin 09-24-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30

From the Mars Lander instruction manual available for download on the Semroc website:

"The Semroc Mars Lander is a faithful recreation of
the original. It uses laser-cut balsa fins and laser-cut
fiber parts instead of the original die-cut parts. The
fiber is also thicker for sturdier construction. High
gloss embossed wraps are provided for authentic
looks of the original. A slightly larger chute is provided
for longer life and a gentler recovery. A Kevlar
® cord is provided for better shock cord retention".

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-54

I have one still in the bag and it's well worth the $39 Semroc is asking for it.