Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   First launch of my Semroc Omega with video camera conversion (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17074)

chromedome 01-16-2018 02:15 PM

First launch of my Semroc Omega with video camera conversion

6 Attachment(s)
A couple of years ago, my brother bought me a Semroc Omega kV-64 kit, despite the fact neither of us had little, if any, knowledge of model rocketry. It sat in my office for a while, but I eventually decided to get on and build it. I researched methods of adding a video camera, including on this forum and the Rocketry Forum, and ended up adding a modified key fob camera. It came with no external casing, and had a 10cm long ribbon cable from the circuit board to the camera. I used a modified Sharpie lid as the cowling for the camera.

This weekend saw the first launches. I started with a single stage launch, which didn't even leave the launch pad. At first it seemed that the rocket was stuck on the launch rod but, as the ejection charge didn't separate the nose cone and deploy the parachute, it may have been a dud motor. Anyway, a second single stage launch (using a C11-5) worked perfectly. After that I went for a 2-stage launch, using a D12-0 and C11-5, and this launch was also a success. I was amazed how fast and high it went! Below are some screen grabs and video from the 2-stage launch, as well as a pic of the camera and a couple of the completed model.

Video here

tbzep 01-16-2018 02:54 PM

Nice!

astronwolf 01-16-2018 03:25 PM

Nice looking country. No snow too.

cas2047 01-16-2018 08:30 PM

Great job from build to video!

I bet Carl would be pleased...

Sheryl@Semroc 01-17-2018 03:46 AM

Chromedome,

Beautiful build and a great video. Yes, cas2047, Carl would be very pleased.

BARGeezer 01-17-2018 03:39 PM

Chromedome,
Nice build and video. Done like an expert modeller. Have you caught the model rocket bug yet?

mojo1986 01-17-2018 04:02 PM

That was excellent. You can really see the increase in speed after the weight of the booster dropped away. What's the name of the village captured in your video at apogee?

chromedome 01-17-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
That was excellent. You can really see the increase in speed after the weight of the booster dropped away. What's the name of the village captured in your video at apogee?

Thanks! The 'village' is actually Wolvercote in the north of Oxford (in the UK).

chromedome 01-17-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
Chromedome,
Nice build and video. Done like an expert modeller. Have you caught the model rocket bug yet?

I think I have. Just been looking at some high fliers that I can modify with a camera and MicroBit.

luke strawwalker 01-18-2018 12:39 AM

Great job! KUTGW! OL J R :)