Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Estes E15-Any other lots besides the ones recalled? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4603)

5x7 01-31-2009 10:30 PM

Estes E15-Any other lots besides the ones recalled?

Hi all,

Back in 1994, NAR announced the recall of Estes E15 motors in two lots and a decertifcation date:
"R23 12/21/94 Announcement:
Estes E15 lot 13X10 and 15X11 recalled by Estes.
All Estes E15 motors to expire 7/1/98 per policy due to production hiatus. "

I was just wondering if anyone has any old Estes E15s with different lot numbers than the ones recalled. All I ever saw was 13X10. The expiration date makes it seem like there were other lots, but my bet is those were the only lots. This had been bugging me for a while.

Thanks!

Bob Kaplow 02-01-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Hi all,

Back in 1994, NAR announced the recall of Estes E15 motors in two lots and a decertifcation date:
"R23 12/21/94 Announcement:
Estes E15 lot 13X10 and 15X11 recalled by Estes.
All Estes E15 motors to expire 7/1/98 per policy due to production hiatus. "

I was just wondering if anyone has any old Estes E15s with different lot numbers than the ones recalled. All I ever saw was 13X10. The expiration date makes it seem like there were other lots, but my bet is those were the only lots. This had been bugging me for a while.

Thanks!

Not an answer to your question, but Ric Gaff has recently static fired some of those recalled motors, and almost all of them have worked perfectly. So it seems that the problem existed as the motors aged, then went away again. Maybe if they let them all cure for a couple years, they'd have worked fine.

5x7 02-01-2009 01:40 PM

It's interesting to read the announcement. Looking back on it today, there really is no explicit prohibition on firing those recalled motors. TRA a while back in no uncertain terms decertified the Ellis J228 - there was no burn period. I always assumed at the time those E15 lots were decertified, but reading the S&T announcement "All Estes E15 motors to expire 7/1/98" it appears they were still OK to use. The implication of this is they might be OK in the NAR OOP motor program. I wonder if they have been allowed.

tbzep 02-01-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
It's interesting to read the announcement. Looking back on it today, there really is no explicit prohibition on firing those recalled motors. TRA a while back in no uncertain terms decertified the Ellis J228 - there was no burn period. I always assumed at the time those E15 lots were decertified, but reading the S&T announcement "All Estes E15 motors to expire 7/1/98" it appears they were still OK to use. The implication of this is they might be OK in the NAR OOP motor program. I wonder if they have been allowed.

I think they were disallowed from the OOP program because such a high percentage of them blew while still fairly new and certified. I'm not sure about it, though.